Cornes throws more shade on the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Cornes throws more shade on the Saints

And who the f*** calls their kid Kane FFS :roll:

From the age.

‘Bad to disaster’: Kane Cornes’ AFL crystal ball spells doom for Ross Lyon’s St Kilda
Kane Cornes
By Kane Cornes
March 11, 2023 — 5.30am

It was the bombshell no one saw coming, not least Brett Ratten himself. One week the St Kilda coach was watching and interviewing draft prospects at the AFL draft combine; the next he was out of a job.

Former Port Adelaide premiership player and Age football columnist Kane Cornes says the fallout from decision to woo Ross Lyon back to Moorabbin will be a major talking point this season, and that if the Saints don’t make the finals it could come back to bite them.
Ross Lyon needs to guide St Kilda to the finals in the first year of his second stint as club coach to justify the board’s ruthless coaching coup at the end of last season.

Ross Lyon needs to guide St Kilda to the finals in the first year of his second stint as club coach to justify the board’s ruthless coaching coup at the end of last season.Credit:Getty Images

Cornes said the Saints fell into the trap of overrating their list when they re-signed Ratten only three months earlier, and has tipped them to slide to 15th this season.

“They feared getting stuck in the six-to-10 zone on the ladder. Trying to lower expectations on new coach Ross Lyon, they have since distanced themselves from those comments, explained Cornes, predicting Lyon’s second coming as St Kilda coach would be the storyline of the season.

“However, anything but a top-eight finish will make the brutal call on Ratten go from bad to disaster.”

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cornes throws more shade on the Saints

Well the Sainters are just going to have to prove KC wrong, by moving up the ladder this season.

happy feet
Club Player

Cornes is evidence that you don’t have to have a long neck to be a goose.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 11:56am Cornes is evidence that you don’t have to have a long neck to be a goose.
Love it. :wink:

SaintWiki
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 10:56am... It was the bombshell no one saw coming, not least Brett Ratten himself. One week the St Kilda coach was watching and interviewing draft prospects at the AFL draft combine; the next he was out of a job.
True
saynta wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 10:56amRoss Lyon needs to guide St Kilda to the finals in the first year of his second stint as club coach to justify the board’s ruthless coaching coup at the end of last season.
Not many supporters I know really believe that.
saynta wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 10:56am... Cornes said the Saints fell into the trap of overrating their list when they re-signed Ratten only three months earlier, and has tipped them to slide to 15th this season.
Not sure about that, the contract signing for Rats during the year was so bazaar I could never work out what the club was thinking.

I'll never get back those few minutes back for responding to such garbage from an egotistical nobody, but I put it down to boredom.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Lord Voldemort has not a good thing to say about any club. He is a 'shock jock' and simply pots everyone when given the opportunity, I no longer read his tripe.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Kane should wear a bib, he dribbles a lot.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Club Player

'brutal call on Ratten'. Honestly what overstated drivel. Plenty of brutal things go on in the world but this was not one of them. I am reading a book at the moment where a judge in the US ruled in favour of a company to take back all the funds set aside for every employees pension and retirement benefits. That is relatively brutal. Ratten got paid out and now has another job.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I am not sure we need to make finals this year to justify the sacking of Ratten. His 2nd half of 2022 justified that as well as justifying the stupidity of the Board's decision to rubber stamp it.

The child of the Korn must genuinely believe signing Ratten, when the Club did, was the right move - he cannot have it both ways.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Kellogg’s Special K or ordinary Corn Flakes?

Either way, with a pinch of salt.

KC has been the face of the biggest media success I’ve seen since I’ve been watching footy again.

He must be doing something right.

‘Clean’ looks. Clean record.. Solid battler ..great pedigree ..a runaway media success.

He knows how the news cycle works too..
he knows it’s just conjecture..

And he’s a Ken Hinkley fan

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 12:04pm
saynta wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 10:56am... It was the bombshell no one saw coming, not least Brett Ratten himself. One week the St Kilda coach was watching and interviewing draft prospects at the AFL draft combine; the next he was out of a job.
True
saynta wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 10:56amRoss Lyon needs to guide St Kilda to the finals in the first year of his second stint as club coach to justify the board’s ruthless coaching coup at the end of last season.
Not many supporters I know really believe that.
saynta wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 10:56am... Cornes said the Saints fell into the trap of overrating their list when they re-signed Ratten only three months earlier, and has tipped them to slide to 15th this season.
Not sure about that, the contract signing for Rats during the year was so bazaar I could never work out what the club was thinking.

I'll never get back those few minutes back for responding to such garbage from an egotistical nobody, but I put it down to boredom.
Hey, they are the arsewipes quotes not mine.

And I think you mean Bizarre as BAZAAR is a Sth East Asian market place

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

It definitely wasn't a bombshell to me when they sacked Ratten

Think a lot of supporters were expecting it and hoping for it

Seems only Kane's brain exploded when it happened

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 7:03pm It definitely wasn't a bombshell to me when they sacked Ratten

Think a lot of supporters were expecting it and hoping for it

Seems only Kane's brain exploded when it happened
I have to say that I was shocked when it happened… that said, I was even more shocked when we re-signed him in the first place.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 11:25am Well the Sainters are just going to have to prove KC wrong, by moving up the ladder this season.
I think that Cornes, and yourself, have both not understood that the total revamp of the football department was not about making finals in 2023, or even any year.

It was instead about putting in place an overall direction aimed at making us a genuine Top 4 Contender. It was not about just trying to make finals in 2023. That type of short-term top up stratgey is why the Club is in its current state. ie Maybe good enough to play finals is all goes well during the season, but in no way were we an actual Premiership Threat.

Making finals is in 2023 is a meaningless measure. It may be nice if we play finals in 2023, but it really has little bearing o us becoming a Top 4 Contender, then Top 4 lock and then a genuine Premiership Threat.

Blind Freddy can see that the list that we have this season is lacking still the genuine gun elite players that you need to be a truly good team. We have some emerging possibilities like King, but they are not there yet.

Our one elite player is Sinclair, and he is a HBFer. No team has won a a flag with that scenario.

It is also not just RTB, but an entire overall of our Football Depart that has occurred including most of the fitness and other support staff including psychologists. I suspect that our recruiting department still needs some more expertise.

Kane has clearly missed what is the big picture. He had only thought small and seems to regard it as a Ross vs Ratten issue/change. It is. It is much bigger that that. And the timeline is also more than one season.

2023 is year one of hopefully becoming a truly successful club.

Now whether it will be successful or not, I have no idea. But what we were doing in the era just finished was clearly not working. It was time for a new direction.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
spert
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 12:25am
spert wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 11:25am Well the Sainters are just going to have to prove KC wrong, by moving up the ladder this season.
I think that Cornes, and yourself, have both not understood that the total revamp of the football department was not about making finals in 2023, or even any year.

It was instead about putting in place an overall direction aimed at making us a genuine Top 4 Contender. It was not about just trying to make finals in 2023. That type of short-term top up stratgey is why the Club is in its current state. ie Maybe good enough to play finals is all goes well during the season, but in no way were we an actual Premiership Threat.

Making finals is in 2023 is a meaningless measure. It may be nice if we play finals in 2023, but it really has little bearing o us becoming a Top 4 Contender, then Top 4 lock and then a genuine Premiership Threat.

Blind Freddy can see that the list that we have this season is lacking still the genuine gun elite players that you need to be a truly good team. We have some emerging possibilities like King, but they are not there yet.

Our one elite player is Sinclair, and he is a HBFer. No team has won a a flag with that scenario.

It is also not just RTB, but an entire overall of our Football Depart that has occurred including most of the fitness and other support staff including psychologists. I suspect that our recruiting department still needs some more expertise.

Kane has clearly missed what is the big picture. He had only thought small and seems to regard it as a Ross vs Ratten issue/change. It is. It is much bigger that that. And the timeline is also more than one season.

Now whether it will be successful or not, I have no idea. But what we were doing in the era just finished was clearly not working. It was time for a new direction.
In other words, more of the same.

Lennylegs
Club Player

Few years ago this muppet was saying the game had gone passed Patrick Cripps. He's just a troll.

We can't win either way with some of these morons. Under Ratten everybody was saying we were a club that was drifting. Then we try to do something and they don't like that either.

There are some people in this world who want the poor to stay poor. KC is exactly that kind of person.

Go Saints.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

A football club not making the 8 is not a disaster.

Kane's hyperbole gets progressively more silly.

I appreciate he is under pressure to come up with click bait however coming out with superficial, contradictory and negative statements over and over is tired commentary. He needs to think about his reputation; does he want to become another captain hindsight of the obvious like D. King.

If we don't make finals, which is more likely than not, it will because Max was injured preseason, we don't seem to have two good ruckmen, plus a number of our more talented players are quite new to AFL.

Kane might like to explain why he thinks Ratts would do better than Ross with similar hands dealt. Their CVs are quite different. Circumstances are ever changing.

sks023
Club Player

You walk into the room with your pencil in your hand
You see somebody naked and you say, "Who is that man?"
You try so hard but you don't understand
Just what you will say when you get home
Because something is happening here but you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?
F U Kane Cornes

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 12:25am

Great post.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Quoting Kane Cornes, is something Kane Cornes would do.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Whilst we have Cornes, Robbo, Caro etc to deride we can avoid the elephant in the room, the fact that we are considered the f ;6k up club of the AFL!

Even though Cornes may be a clown it doesn’t necessarily make every thing he writes untrue!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 10:13am Whilst we have Cornes, Robbo, Caro etc to deride we can avoid the elephant in the room, the fact that we are considered the f ;6k up club of the AFL!

Even though Cornes may be a clown it doesn’t necessarily make every thing he writes untrue!
It's purely opinion. The truth is completely irrelevant.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 6:54am
In other words, more of the same.

No not at all.

Our previous crew thought we were almost there. Our current crew recognises while we might be able to sneak into the finals , that we are a long way off being a genuine premiership threat.

We actually went backwards with their topping up choices. Making finals one year was just an illusion created by some fattening up with some older players who while making the team better, were not good enough to actually make us a contender. At least in their last gasp their poor list strategy was turned around, but they had done enough damage to limit our immediate future.

I am just realistic enough to understand that our list currently lacks the top-end quality to be a real threat now.

Would you be happy making finals this year, but not actually having any prospect to be a real contender in the near future?

Will our new crew do any better? We will have to wait and see, but one thing we know is that the previous crew were not taking us anywhere. And the dispirited way many of our players played last year , and the sheer volume of games with one quarter efforts , meant that the playing group was also demotivated and not engaged.

Lethlean still being at the club worries me, but at least his paws are not all over the Football Department and its strategies and decisions anymore.

PS The Cordy acquisition on a multi-year deal (he was at best a one-year deal back-up player) just radiates the type of poor decision that our old crew made, and would have kept making.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

A great insight saintsrising.

I agree with all your assessements of the list and our coaching staff, but the one thing I think we all over look, is the financial pressures that have been on the club for a considerable period. I believe the club hierarchy made the decision for 'quick fixes' as they simply couldn't afford to be a bottom side for years. In hindsight the biggest mistake the club (Lethlean & Finnis) made over that period, was not putting sufficient resources into their talent identification - drafting/trading and development.

The big question is $$$, could we have afforded more down years - possibly not? I have read it else where but the biggest footballing failure was targetting the wrong players trade wise.

The list has some major holes and no coach can create miracles when they dont have their best players available - Ratten was also a victim of that. Having said that I am confident we now have a very good coaching & development program and with some astute drafting and trading in coming years I think we can become a strong competitor in 2-3 years.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 10:26am

Will our new crew do any better? We will have to wait and see...

To be fair to the old crew, they adopted a recruiting legacy that was ironically put in motion by the events surrounding the departure of Ross and his famous "end of an era" declaration. This resulted in the complete bottoming out around the 2013 to 2015 era and the awarding of the number one draft pick. Usually the number one draft pick is meant to be the kernel of a "new era" and list build but sadly it wasn't and was finally acknowledged a failure in the lead up to the trade period of 2019. By this time recruiters were struggling against the backdrop of the clubs reputation for being a poor destination club and so the recruitment of the fab five mature age players was seen as an incredible positive outcome to overcome this challenge. In hindsight the strategy could only become successful with continued access to more ready made players in successive trade periods. Then the Pandemic hit and that really made the strategy almost impossible, and really more credit should be given to the challenge this posed to recruiters. So to be fair to the old crew, they had returned to the draft as part of their strategy which I understand was always the case. And who knows Ross may be the benefactor of this recruiting legacy or the players in question could all be gone in very quick time.

Anyway good luck to the new crew in their recruiting endeavours over the next 4 years, as always they are going to need more luck than anything else unless of coarse they do in fact have a magic trick that the other 17 clubs don't have.