Round 1 side

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Round 1 side

My side.

Webster Howard Wilkie
Milera Battle Sinclair
Hill Ross Wood
Membery Philipou Gresham
Owen’s Caminiti Higgins

Marshall Crouch Steele

Int
Stocker- back rotation
Clark- mid rotation (actually one of our best clearance players)
Cordy- forward and ruck rotation

Byrnes, Windy, Bytel Butler, Paton fighting it out for the last spots depending in what we want more of as a team.

I'd be very tempted by Bytel given the strength of the dockers clearance players.

Byrnes if we want additional run/wing rotation

Windy if we want a defensive mid option

Butler could sneak in for forward pressure- 9 tackles against the dons.

Paton I can't see making the side.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 1 side

Windhager definitely that last spot on the bench and maybe Butler the sub

That starting 18 I agree with

All dependent on Membrey's fitness. If he's not fit, I'd play Sharman in his place

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I reckon both Membrey and Windhager will miss.
They just won't risk it.

Sharman in for Membrey
Bytel in for Windhager

Otherwise good side.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I reckon both Membrey and Windhager will miss.
They just won't risk it.

Sharman in for Membrey
Bytel in for Windhager

Otherwise good side.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
theoracle
Club Player

If Windhager is fit, he is in the starting 22. Simple. He is in our best side, not a possible interchange.

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
BadRossco
Club Player

Would prefer Campbell or even Heath to Corey, better back up for Marshall. Sharman’s set shot ability may also put him just in front of Caminiti. If completely fit Windy must play otherwise Bytel. Our one paced midfield worries me, the only answer at present could be Sincs, with Coff at half back. Gresham and Jones both add pace but they are ball butchers, this is something that must be addressed at or before the next draft.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Personally dont see a major issue with pace. I dont think Melbourne's mids have great pace but it doesn't matter as they win the footy and clearance.

That's why I'd love to see Bytel in and think Clark is crucial.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Forgot coffield.

Probably battling with Stocker for a spot.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I think Lyon Will always go with hardened players where possible. And I think Friday night’s selected team was pretty close to his Round 1 team other than for some guys possibly coming back: Hill, Membrey and Ross (of whom I assume Hill is the only one guaranteed to be fit).

Nobody played themselves out of the side on Friday, although Windhager was injured.

In my mind, Hill comes back for Paton, Membrey (if fit) comes back for Philipou and Ross (if fit) for Byrnes. If Windhager is unfit, then Byrnes stays in. If both Ross and Windhager are unfit, then perhaps Bytel: but I thought he faded as Friday’s match went on, and others might be preferred.

I’m assuming Butler stays in: he looked tough and battle-ready on Friday. Sure, Philipou is an exciting prospect, but the team is experimental enough as it is, and Butler is a safe option in terms of team defence. Philipou could perhaps be the sub.

I can’t see Sharman getting a game. If he was going to play Rd 1, he’d have played on Friday.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I like it when your most influential players are helping you win matches when the game is in the balance and the scoreboard is still close...AND

I like it even better when they back off and rest on the pine when the result is assured...especially in a practice match

I think Bytel should be playing Round 1 and I'd only rest him if he needs to be managed or if he is not performing

spert
Saintsational Legend

Hard to pick after watching the two practice matches, but Sharman will probably be in there and possibly Bytel who would have impressed the coach I think against the Bombers. Philipou maybe, but he and Caminiti are not really ready IMO

footynut
Club Player

I researched the game on the weekend. And came away with the realisation Clark need to be a starting mid! Despite fumbling and running over the ball a few times, he was very good at being involved in the 1st or 2nd posession at stoppages or at contests. I actually thought he was more damaging than Steele, and that he teamed up well with crouch and Bytel.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

spert wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2023 7:45am Hard to pick after watching the two practice matches, but Sharman will probably be in there and possibly Bytel who would have impressed the coach I think against the Bombers. Philipou maybe, but he and Caminiti are not really ready IMO
I think you're right the more I think about it only one plays- which one probably depends on membrey.

My updated side assuming membrey gets up.

Webster Howard Wilkie
Milera Battle Sinclair
Hill Ross Wood
Membery Philipou Gresham
Butler Owens Higgins

Marshall Crouch Steele

Int
Stocker/Coffield- back rotation
Clark- mid rotation (actually one of our best clearance players)
Cordy- forward and ruck rotation
Windy/Bytel -mid

When we need to be taller Cordy/Marshall go forward.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how you'd pick Sharman when he didn't play last week. If he was in the mix surely he would have played against Essendon. It seems we have selected Cordy over him for now.

older saint
SS Life Member

Assume Ross, Membrey fit Rnd 1. As mentione dyou have to think Coffield and Sharman both have played or played "reserves " part of the Melbourne game, therefore not yet in calculation.

Webster Howard Wilkie
Milera Battle Sinclair
Hill Crouch Wood
Membery Philipou Gresham
Butler Owens Higgins

Marshall Clark Steele

Int
Stocker
Ross- mid rotation
Cordy/ Caminiti
Brynes - could be the modern version of McQualter for this team for RL.

Sub - Bytel

Killa
Club Player

One matter there is no reporting on is the Second side practice match

So we have no information on such as Coffield, Heath and others given more game time (you would expect) at the lower level and their progress to Round 1 selection

And the performances of our younger brigade and particularly those of KPP physique

So, in regard the Round 1 side, we don’t have enough intelligence to speculate

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Killa wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2023 2:07pm One matter there is no reporting on is the Second side practice match

So we have no information on such as Coffield, Heath and others given more game time (you would expect) at the lower level and their progress to Round 1 selection

And the performances of our younger brigade and particularly those of KPP physique

So, in regard the Round 1 side, we don’t have enough intelligence to speculate
I've always refused to let a lack of intelligence stop me in life, why allow it to now.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I read somewhere that clubs are going to give game time to borderline players in reserves practice matches this weekend, so it's a bit premature to select a Rd 1 side until middle of next week when there should be more information from the club about injuries etc.

Currently of the players not injured I rate the following 19 as pencilled in:

Battle, Butler, Clark, Cordy, Crouch, Higgins, Hill, Howard, Marshall, Owens, Paton, Phillipou, Sinclair, Steele, Stocker, Wanganeen-Milera, Webster, Wilkie, Wood.

If fit I would add Membrey and Windhager as definites to make 21.

Remaining 2 from Bytel, Gresham, Caminiti, Sharman, Campbell.

Fremantle, like Essendon have one of the comp's best ruck combination in Darcy and Jackson plus some very good tall players at both ends which Lyon will no doubt need to take into consideration. On Friday he had Cordy and Owens take the ruck contests while Marshall was off the ground, which worked reasonably well, so Campbell is not likely to make the side.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
spert
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2023 1:35pm Not sure how you'd pick Sharman when he didn't play last week. If he was in the mix surely he would have played against Essendon. It seems we have selected Cordy over him for now.
He was warming the bench while Lyon looks at how the recruits are handling the pressure, once comfortably in front, there's no need to risk injury to a senior player- if we were well behind halfway through the game, Sharman would have gone forward in place of Caminiti or Phillipou I would say. We will have very few options in the forward half come Rnd 1, so any further injuries to senior players is a no no. It's was just a practice match.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2023 6:28pm
Otiman wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2023 1:35pm Not sure how you'd pick Sharman when he didn't play last week. If he was in the mix surely he would have played against Essendon. It seems we have selected Cordy over him for now.
He was warming the bench while Lyon looks at how the recruits are handling the pressure, once comfortably in front, there's no need to risk injury to a senior player- if we were well behind halfway through the game, Sharman would have gone forward in place of Caminiti or Phillipou I would say. We will have very few options in the forward half come Rnd 1, so any further injuries to senior players is a no no. It's was just a practice match.
I don't buy that excuse when Marshall played a whole game. Any development games into Sharman would be good for the club. Someone like Membrey (if fit) being left out I can understand, but not the young kid who has played a handful of games looking to cement a spot as a key forard.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2023 7:55pm
spert wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2023 6:28pm
I don't buy that excuse when Marshall played a whole game. Any development games into Sharman would be good for the club. Someone like Membrey (if fit) being left out I can understand, but not the young kid who has played a handful of games looking to cement a spot as a key forard.
Who else other than Marshall was going to play ruck in reality? We had no other option on the day, otherwise a good way to injure a player who is not a ruckman, is to play them in the ruck. Had Campbell or Heath been able to play, then Marshall might have sat the game out on the bench.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I expected that there would be calls for blog heartthrobs Sharman and Bytel to get games, and even Leo to get the odd mention. I don’t entirely understand what Highmore did wrong, but he seems to have ended up in the fan friend zone.

I don’t expect any of these four to get a senior game in a hurry, barring even more injuries. Lyon has a reputation for favouring unlikely players, but none of the four seem to be of great interest to him ATM. But I could be wrong. I’d say Bytel is the closest, but a midfield of Steele, Crouch, Ross, Clark and Bytel would be pretty slow-moving. And Lyon likes pace.

He clearly does like Philipou, but I’m not as confident as all of you seem to be that he’ll get a game. For Round 1. Caminiti is the closest thing to a genuine FF available so, though he’s as raw as Philipou, I reckon he’s more likely. But of course it all depends on whether or not any of the injured players can come back for Round 1

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Selectors will be wondering if A. Caminiti should debut on Alex Pearce.

Other uncertain selections depend on fitness of Ross, Windhager Membrey and Coffield.
Byrnes, Bytel on stand by.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2023 3:52am I think Lyon Will always go with hardened players where possible. And I think Friday night’s selected team was pretty close to his Round 1 team other than for some guys possibly coming back: Hill, Membrey and Ross (of whom I assume Hill is the only one guaranteed to be fit).

Nobody played themselves out of the side on Friday, although Windhager was injured.

In my mind, Hill comes back for Paton, Membrey (if fit) comes back for Philipou and Ross (if fit) for Byrnes. If Windhager is unfit, then Byrnes stays in. If both Ross and Windhager are unfit, then perhaps Bytel: but I thought he faded as Friday’s match went on, and others might be preferred.

I’m assuming Butler stays in: he looked tough and battle-ready on Friday. Sure, Philipou is an exciting prospect, but the team is experimental enough as it is, and Butler is a safe option in terms of team defence. Philipou could perhaps be the sub.

I can’t see Sharman getting a game. If he was going to play Rd 1, he’d have played on Friday.
Very well summed up.

I suspect Philipou will be the sub, as it is a bit hard to play both Owens and him in the one forward line and we we need someone to supply forward pressure and with our other forwards lacking in this regard Butler excels at it.

Subs in 2023 are allowed to be purely activated for tactical reasons. So the sub can be brought on at any time, and not just when a player is injured.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 07 Mar 2023 12:14am
meher baba wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2023 3:52am I think Lyon Will always go with hardened players where possible. And I think Friday night’s selected team was pretty close to his Round 1 team other than for some guys possibly coming back: Hill, Membrey and Ross (of whom I assume Hill is the only one guaranteed to be fit).

Very well summed up.

I suspect Philipou will be the sub, as it is a bit hard to play both Owens and him in the one forward line and we we need someone to supply forward pressure and with our other forwards lacking in this regard Butler excels at it.

Subs in 2023 are allowed to be purely activated for tactical reasons. So the sub can be brought on at any time, and not just when a player is injured.
I'm not sure we have any evidence that it would be hard to play Owens and Phillipou.

One is playing in a position that we don't actually have an established player in and the other is playing Billings HF/wing role.

Both attack the ball with intent, I'd argue, that apart from a very short burst from Hayes, these two are exactly what we need in place of King and Billings. Caminiti might miss out but I'd play all three.