Mason Wood

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

silverhalo
Club Player

Mason Wood

Went along to the game yesterday and was so impressed with Mason Wood - as long as he can stay injury free, I think he's in for a big year, looks supremely fit and did some really nice things yesterday.

mickey
Club Player

Re: Mason Wood

Good post. I don't think this guy gets the accolades he deserves from his own fans. The media rated him BOG on Saturday and the discussion on here was about everyone else. I think he was the player that stood up last year when others found it too hard (watch the replays). When I was talking to my mates about the upcoming year it was optimism about the kids we've recruited etc but this guy for some reason is ignored. Which means I'm guilty of always remembering the so called stars but not the performers.

Club Player

Yes I can be guilty of taking time to adjust to long time players from other clubs now playing for us.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Love Mason Wood. Been played out of position his whole career and became a victim of his own flexibility.

Probably been told to put weight on, take weight off, play on the small forward, play on the 105 key defender.

Whoever picked him, decided he had more to offer. He has done the work and deserves a great, injury free season. I hope he gets it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Love Mason Wood. Been played out of position his whole career and became a victim of his own flexibility.

Probably been told to put weight on, take weight off, play on the small forward, play on the 105 key defender.

Whoever picked him, decided he had more to offer. He has done the work and deserves a great, injury free season. I hope he gets it.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2023 11:13am Love Mason Wood. Been played out of position his whole career and became a victim of his own flexibility.

As you know, in the game of chess, Mason is closely related to the bishop, can attack and defend diagonally and to all extremities of the board, in AFL parlance he is called a 2 way runner, probably one of the best when he's on.

loris
Saintsational Legend

My Mason Wood story. A number of years ago when Mason Wood was in his early career at North Melbourne.
Every couple of years 3 ex-work colleagues of mine, pick a location to have a week’s holiday together. One year it was Tassie. One of us was a rabid Kangaroo supporter & because North was playing in Tassie that weekend, so we went to the footy.

I’d only seen Mason Wood a few times on telly. He played in flashes of brilliance as a lead up forward, similar to Membreys role. With his tall athletic body & his eye catching blond hair (it was fairer & longer in his early career) plus his ability to take the occasional excellent pack mark and his reliable goal kicking skills. I predicted to my friend, Mason Wood will develop into a really good footballer. Not only that, I confidently predicted because he was so noticeable on the field & is a complete ball player he will be noticed by umpires & get Brownlow votes. Stuck my head right out & said he will be North’s next Brownlow Medalist.😳
Big wrong early call by me eh? I always get sucked in by big blond handsome males!

When Saints took Mason Wood on my friend, Enid called me to remind me of my way off the mark prediction. She said I think the Saints will have to employ an extra physiotherapist as he’s hardly ever off the physio couch or out of the medical room. She used to call him Loris’ Brownlow Fizz🫤

Maybe, just maybe 🤔 I got the teams wrong??
Now that he’s fit & firing and playing in his right position - could he be the Saints next BM?
Admittedly Mason might need to put a bit more lemon juice on his hair to lighten his locks up a little, so as he comes under notice by the umps of all the skills he has and, how much he contributes to the Saints whether they are winning or losing.
Anyone worth putting a ‘fiver’ on Mason??

Sanctorum
Club Player

Have always rated Mason Wood. He was North's 2nd rdp in 2012 at 41 and now at 29 is the complete package, great size (192 cm) and can play in every position on the field.

He's the sort of team player Lyon rates highly and I expect he'll be among the first 10 players selected each week, probably named on tthe bench to fill whatever role is needed during the game.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Primed for a career best season. He has definitely delivered more than I expected, which was another Kent type.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Solid player

Was ok last year

This season
One swallow doesn’t make a summer

happy feet
Club Player

Be great to see Mason keep firing. Will also keep the missus happy and stop her nagging me about changing the channel to the rugby league.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2023 8:18pm
Was ok last year
Robert Harvey Best Clubman Award in 2022

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What’s that got to do with his performances??

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I hope he gets a real crack. And for Mason that comes down to one thing - injuries

Ask any north fan. Each and every year he was primed, each and every year he was crippled by injury

#1 Ryder fan
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Was ok last year

I think that is an accurate assessment of his 2022 season in its entirety as an average over 23 games.

However he had a patch there in the first half that was arguably A grade.

Then it wasn't, then he was dropped, then he came back better, maybe not to his earlier form but still solid.

Needs to deliver on that good patch, needs his body to hold up and needs to be consistent, if he does that he will get noticed.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Tue 07 Mar 2023 8:00am

Was ok last year

I think that is an accurate assessment of his 2022 season in its entirety as an average over 23 games.

However he had a patch there in the first half that was arguably A grade.

Then it wasn't, then he was dropped, then he came back better, maybe not to his earlier form but still solid.

Needs to deliver on that good patch, needs his body to hold up and needs to be consistent, if he does that he will get noticed.
It wasn't a coincidence that Mason's form tailed off mid-season at precisely the time DMac got injured (and never returned). They were dynamite as a combo on opposing wings. DMac playing on the other side of the ground allowed Mason to maintain his width and use his legs to get back and defend and then be the link in the next chain going forward. Once DMac wasn't there - he got thrown around and lost his mojo. Still a very good season overall however.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 07 Mar 2023 7:27am What’s that got to do with his performances??
Well, he was one of our most improved players in 2022, in terms of performance.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Improved from when?

It was his first season

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Ratts didn't seem to know what to do with him. New club and an uncertain coach would be tough. He worked through it really well.

King Max
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 8:28am Improved from when?

It was his first season
It must have been his second first season in a row.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... html#20210

loris
Saintsational Legend

It was his first season
You do realize this year, 2023, is Mason Wood’s THIRD season at the Saints!!!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He's super fit with enormous endurance. His hard running seems to pay off in the second half of games, as that seems to be when he usually gets most of his touches ( but not always).

Realistically, at a top club he would very much be in the fringes. That doesn't mean he doesn't offer value, though.

I'm really pleased he turned his form around last year. He'll never be a top line performer, but he can play a useful role for us each week.

He certainly sets a standard in preparation for others to follow

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

loris wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 4:21pm

It was his first season
You do realize this year, 2023, is Mason Wood’s THIRD season at the Saints!!!
Wind back the clock to the start of 2021 and the abuse the club was copping on here for offering a lifeline to delisted Kangaroo. Many sperts were predicting a two game career for him with the Saints, now he has established his place.

I've never doubted his ability, I just hope his body holds together for the remainder of his career. To date, minor niggles seem to develop into weeks out of the team. He badly needs continuity.

Saint supporter since '62
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I read with interest here earlier in the month as someone posted… I think a conversation they had with Wood where he said something to the effect of he thought he was done after being dropped after the Brisbane game and got called back and has been playing every game like it could be his last.

It really reinforced what I reckon has been happening at the club for a while…
As in, why in the first 1/2 of the year where he was frankly really really underwhelming didn’t he feel this pressure?

The story has again and again for years has been average fitness, poor prep, coming back out of shape etc

It’s been reflected in our injuries, skills, inability go run out games etc

Hopefully that’s at an end

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Could play another 2 years if he stays in the shape he currently holds.