Why is Marshall playing in the trial game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints58
Club Player

Why is Marshall playing in the trial game

Have we not learnt anything why do we play Marshall in Essendon game what if he gets injured he is in good form he doesn't need the run.
Even if we play Marshall for half a game and then rest him would have been ok but as we don't have Campbell and Adams in Marshall will ruck the hole game looks like that is what will happen round 1.
It would have been better to play Campbell and Adams and see how they come up as Adams did ok last week instead of having them as emergency's.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why is Marshall playing in the trial game

Valid points

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

agreed

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

💯
Why risk a prize racehorse on some crappy racetrack in the Wimmera.
He's a pro, he would've trained the house down, been strong in match sim...why put him at risk in a nothing game?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It will be less about his own form and more about the mids and stoppages.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

"he is in good form"

How? From playing.

How do you continue form (and match fitness)? Keep playing.

Gershwin
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Thu 02 Mar 2023 6:45pm Have we not learnt anything why do we play Marshall in Essendon game what if he gets injured he is in good form he doesn't need the run.
Even if we play Marshall for half a game and then rest him would have been ok but as we don't have Campbell and Adams in Marshall will ruck the hole game looks like that is what will happen round 1.
It would have been better to play Campbell and Adams and see how they come up as Adams did ok last week instead of having them as emergency's.
I would like to see Marshall and Campbell in tandem, both getting a reasonable workout. And the mids working out their combinations. There is no advantage in keeping things secret.

summertime and the living is easy ........
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Marshall is playing because he is our best ruck. Our best ruck is needed to get the best out of our stoppages.
He has done a pre-season, looks extremely fit and mobile and should be playing.
Hopefully, from this match, we can stick to picking the best players available until their form doesn't warrant it or they get injured. We can't plan to avoid injury. They happen.
Campbell and Marshall are both capable of 80% ruck time.
Cordy, Owens and probably Sharman will fill in the gaps.
Its time to sort the men out from the boys.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 10:22am Marshall is playing because he is our best ruck. Our best ruck is needed to get the best out of our stoppages.
He has done a pre-season, looks extremely fit and mobile and should be playing.
Hopefully, from this match, we can stick to picking the best players available until their form doesn't warrant it or they get injured. We can't plan to avoid injury. They happen.
Campbell and Marshall are both capable of 80% ruck time.
Cordy, Owens and probably Sharman will fill in the gaps.
Its time to sort the men out from the boys.
yep changed my mind...your right ..all in and throw the dice

on the outer
Club Player

It’s the last dress rehearsal before the real thing starts. It’s not just Marshalls form it’s also about our mid fielders learning to rove to his ruck work with an opposition trying to stop both him and them in earnest.

Besides where to you draw the line, no contact drills for Marshall at club taraining, Resting him in games where his contribution won’t make much of a difference . I’d be gutted if he gets injured today but you have to practice your craft sometimes under close to real world conditions even if there’s not four points on the line.

Saints58
Club Player

You make some really good points OTO and I do agree with them I have been to training a few times and watch Marshall work with the minds and he did look good and believe me there have been contact drills at training with the rucks and everyone.
My post says if Marshall even plays half a game then lets the the other guys take over but we don't have Campbell or Adams or Heath in this game don't know why?
Could we have played him more last week we did have 5 periods we could have changed combinations and worked on a few things but looks like its all down to this one game I would have thought we would have an Idea of how Marshall works with the mids by now.
Its more the other guys rucking that need the synergy with the mids like Campbell,Adams, and who ever else they intended to ruck.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Because its a practice match and practice makes perfect.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Saints58
Club Player

Practice does make perfect and Marshall got through it thank goodness but if he is in such great form why risk him.
Campbell was in last week pulled out due to family reasons then gets dropped would have liked to see him in the ruck he does need the practice but being a emergence will not get it now.
I guess they have decided to go with Cordy instead of Campbell as second ruck cordy is a expensive 2 ruck we should have kept lienhart he was cheaper and did a good job in that role as a mid wing defender time will tell.

Templar
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 2:48pm Practice does make perfect and Marshall got through it thank goodness but if he is in such great form why risk him?
To practice the new game plan I reckon.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 2:48pm Practice does make perfect and Marshall got through it thank goodness but if he is in such great form why risk him.
Campbell was in last week pulled out due to family reasons then gets dropped would have liked to see him in the ruck he does need the practice but being a emergence will not get it now.
I guess they have decided to go with Cordy instead of Campbell as second ruck cordy is a expensive 2 ruck we should have kept lienhart he was cheaper and did a good job in that role as a mid wing defender time will tell.
Without Marshall, their rucks would have demoralised us around the ground and we wouldn't have got out of our defensive stance.

Marshall isjust about our most important player.
If he gets injured, then Campbell becomes that.
Isn't Campbell a little underdone? His pre-season was a bit stop and start. Maybe he isn't quite right.