Owens

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Templar
Club Player

Re: Owens

Good to see him take a couple of grabs. Been waiting for that. Tick.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 7:31pm Good to see him take a couple of grabs. Been waiting for that. Tick.
He's got something at ground level too, agile for a bigish fella. If he can come on quickly it would be really helpful

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Gives a contest in the and then follows it up at ground level. I can’t wait until he and Phillipou are rotating between midfield and forward with King, Membrey and two of Gresham, Higgins and Butler.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did he?

I thought he was ok, competed pretty well, Essendon were pretty thin down back.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Vortex wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 7:34pm
Templar wrote: Fri 03 Mar 2023 7:31pm Good to see him take a couple of grabs. Been waiting for that. Tick.
He's got something at ground level too, agile for a bigish fella. If he can come on quickly it would be really helpful
And there is the tease. He got his hands to plenty but only held a few. If he holds more than he drops he becomes a serious aerial threat. He definitely knows how to snag a goal at ground level. Love his fierce attack and pressure, but occasionally decides to dawdle chase rather than full tilt. He has all the pieces, just needs to put them all together.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Owens is a centre square mid

Hopefully he is not pigeon holed as a forward

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 04 Mar 2023 9:28am I think Owens is a centre square mid

Hopefully he is not pigeon holed as a forward
I think you are right but it might be that with the injury crisis in the forward line means he's probably going to play a role there short term, mostly ensuring intercepting defenders don't create the turnover but then to be able to immediately get to the next ground contest and help lock it in and/or create a potential to score.

Probably has the size to be a version of the 2016 Jake stringer type, size, strength and explosive speed out of the midfield and his handy around the goals.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

he is a goal kicking midfielder. And that is what we need - 6'4" bull in the midfield who hits the scoreboard.

However, atm - no King or Hayes for the significant future and no Membrey last night means that somebody has to be there and he was it.

がんばってみちとさま!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Google translate tells me the above could mean;

Good luck Michito :P :|

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

He looked PRETTY GOOD today!! 😇

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 8:56pm He looked pretty good today!! 😇
He’s so much better when the ball is on the ground and in the contest. His attack on the contest in contagious. Loves the rough stuff.

If he can fix his shots on goal he’ll be a seriously damaging player.

Felt like he faded a bit in the second half.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Will be a lot better with Membrey and King in the side as well

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Owens looks rugged. I thought he'd create some panick for the defenders over the other options while we wait for injured forwards to come back. Probably needs a bit more time to develop a better kick and set shot.

And Looking forward to seeing him play the midfield a bit more if that's the plan, be nice to have mid that can get the ball going forward out of the middle and then add some score.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Better than round 1 last year.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Lennylegs
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 10:24pm Owens looks rugged. I thought he'd create some panick for the defenders over the other options while we wait for injured forwards to come back. Probably needs a bit more time to develop a better kick and set shot.

And Looking forward to seeing him play the midfield a bit more if that's the plan, be nice to have mid that can get the ball going forward out of the middle and then add some score.
Thought he was incredible playing out of position as a 19 year old second year player. Not sure what you mean by saying rugged, but he was given a role and gave maximum effort.

I know you've got hangups about our list, but let's give the kid some credit.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Today just proved that a lot of filling in the skulls of some people isn't necessarily brain cells.

Saint supporter since '62
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

He definitely won't die wondering and will be an absolutely handful for opposition teams for years to come

Needs to work on his set shot kicking though

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 10:36pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 10:24pm Owens looks rugged. I thought he'd create some panick for the defenders over the other options while we wait for injured forwards to come back. Probably needs a bit more time to develop a better kick and set shot.

Thought he was incredible playing out of position as a 19 year old second year player. Not sure what you mean by saying rugged, but he was given a role and gave maximum effort.

I thought I did?

Let me expand on rugged then if that confused you.

Rugged as in he really bodies the contest and scraps for the disputed ball. That's me giving him credit.

Lennylegs
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 10:47pm

I thought I did?

Rugged as in he really bodies the contest and scraps for the disputed ball. That's me giving him credit.
Beautiful then. Glad to hear it.

Sorry for the confusion but the majority of your posts are negative regarding the skill and ability of most of our list. Rugged in this context is pretty obvious.

Go Saints.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 11:01pm

I thought I did?

Sorry for the confusion but the majority of your posts are negative regarding the skill and ability of most of our list. Rugged in this context is pretty obvious.

Go Saints.
One should always be as objective as possible.

Lennylegs
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 11:04pm

I thought I did?

Go Saints.
As much as possible, yeah.

But I sometimes get the feeling that you're living in the wrong era of football. This isn't the 2010s or 2000s. All lists these days are patch jobs and improvisations compared to those halcyon days of non-expansion and a larger talent pool of players to pick from.

To continually blame our list is such a psychological cop out for supporters, reporters and players alike. I've seen you talk about it all the time. That's why I jumped on your rugged comment.

Honestly, to keep blaming our list is a loser's mentality. Thank God Ross doesn't think that way at all.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 11:26pm

I thought I did?

Go Saints.

But I sometimes get the feeling that you're living in the wrong era of football. This isn't the 2010s or 2000s. All lists these days are patch jobs and improvisations compared to those halcyon days of non-expansion and a larger talent pool of players to pick from.

To continually blame our list is such a psychological cop out for supporters, reporters and players alike. I've seen you talk about it all the time. That's why I jumped on your rugged comment.

Honestly, to keep blaming our list is a loser's mentality. Thank God Ross doesn't think that way at all.
Yeah maybe wait until the end of the season before we guess what Ross thinks of the list.

Lennylegs
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 11:34pm

I thought I did?

Go Saints.

Yeah maybe wait until the end of the season before we guess what Ross thinks of the list.
Massive cutbacks, you reckon? Cut right down and end up where Hawthorn are?

You obviously don't get Ross Lyon, which is surprising. A few adjustments here and there, but what you see is what we'll get. I can't wait to see him get every ounce out of these blokes. Who knows how far he can take us.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Owens needs to work on his marking, he dropped a few too many i thought.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 11:39pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Mar 2023 11:34pm

I thought I did?

Go Saints.

Massive cutbacks, you reckon? Cut right down and end up where Hawthorn are?

You obviously don't get Ross Lyon, which is surprising. A few adjustments here and there, but what you see is what we'll get. I can't wait to see him get every ounce out of these blokes. Who knows how far he can take us.
Yeah well who knows, 22 games to go and maybe Ross will turn every player into a premiership type player, it hadn't been done before and he might make international headlines if it happens. Or he might have to turn the list over to some degree, we will find out in November