Break a leg, Arryn Siposs !! 🏈 🦅

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Break a leg, Arryn Siposs !! 🏈 🦅

Arryn is playing in tomorrow’s Super Bowl for the Philadelphia Eagles who are taking on the Kansas City Chiefs. Should be a fantastic game of American Football. Hope Arryn’s team can take the chocolates. I don’t care for Chiefs fans with their edgelord tomahawk chop.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1269373/ ... tid=Zxz2cZ

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Re: Break a leg, Arryn Siposs !! 🏈 🦅

er. So he is out there?
How many minutes of game time do you get as a punter?

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote: Mon 13 Feb 2023 10:38am er. So he is out there?
How many minutes of game time do you get as a punter?
Couldn’t say but freaking painful pregame show

Bowey Boy
Club Player

😀😜🤪

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Sanctorum
Club Player

Siposs is out there, just held the ball down for a successful 3 pointer - Eagles leading 24-14 at halftime.

I'm watching but don't really understand the game, there are only 60 minutes of actual play but countless stoppages that drive me nuts!

I've often thought that if only the AFL could get a decent foothold in North America they would eventually love our free-flowing, few interruptions game. Unlike Europe there is plenty of space to build ovals and stadiums.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
St Plugger
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 13 Feb 2023 12:26pm Siposs is out there, just held the ball down for a successful 3 pointer - Eagles leading 24-14 at halftime.

I'm watching but don't really understand the game, there are only 60 minutes of actual play but countless stoppages that drive me nuts!

I've often thought that if only the AFL could get a decent foothold in North America they would eventually love our free-flowing, few interruptions game. Unlike Europe there is plenty of space to build ovals and stadiums.

Cricket is getting a toehold in NM due too the SubContinent migration there, so the development of ovals is becoming more likely now, so the AFL leagues over there may get better infrastructure as a consequence!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 13 Feb 2023 12:26pm Siposs is out there, just held the ball down for a successful 3 pointer - Eagles leading 24-14 at halftime.

Yeah I’m kind of the same.

Enjoying it but geeez they’re dragging it out aren’t they

5 hour broadcast!!!!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The jinx has spread to the US.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Kansas City dominated after half-time and ended up winning 38-35 so sadly no chocolates for Arryn Siposs....

Game started at 10.30 and ended at 13.10 - interminable breaks in the 4 x 15 minutes quarters contest, bugger all moments of real excitement, quite boring really....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Wow Siposs' poor punt a game changer

In red white and black from 73
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Mon 13 Feb 2023 2:29pm The jinx has spread to the US.

The American sporting headlines are already reading how St Kilda player Aaron Siposs is being blamed for the loss.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Philadelphia dominated the first half with a really bad fumble part way through the second letting Kansas back into it, being only 7 points down at the half (or there snouts) despite having SFA on the ball.

Siposs wasn’t heavily involved in the play that I saw. Unfortunately he was on the wrong side of the big swing of momentum when a Kansas player got off the leash and did a huge run that was the beginning of the Chief’s brutally effective second half forward plays.

As that player started the run from his defence, Arryn was the player closest to him to try and stick the big tackle but he got effectively blocked and off the guy went.
Wasn’t exactly an error on his part, he was really up against but would a pbly been a match winning moment if he could have done something magical.

The Eagles never looked like winning halfway through the second onwards but the scores were tied with only a few minutes left…
Kansas did what they did though and ran over the top as it looked like they would

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Poor Aaron’s shanked punt was a huge momentum swinger and unfortunately will haunt him and the Eagles!

Mahomes is just too good, got it done on one leg too 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Templar
Club Player

Siposs' shank may have done us all a favour especially if that kick and the result went the other way.

We need our players focussing on an AFL GF and not a SuperBowl and NFL sized pay checks!

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Longest punt return in Super Bowl history.

:?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 13 Feb 2023 10:29pm Longest punt return in Super Bowl history.

:?
Yeah but here’s the thing… the receiver had 3 eagles on him in seconds… they made a meal of that tackle and that’s what set it off.

Wasn’t the best kick but to blame that run on Siposs is a bit rich IMO

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Mon 13 Feb 2023 2:29pm The jinx has spread to the US.
Yep, we jinxed him! 😞🔫

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

of American footy, all I know is that the Quarter Back is the king at high school, and all the girls want to have lunch with him. The rest of us are his lucky lieutenants or forced to consider a life of emo, dream of being musicians.

That said, (well done Shane!) I looked up highlights on youtube to see 'our man' and it seemed he was rarely needed for the punt - like so much so, the commentators remarked how rare the need for the punt was for Philly in the game until then. Then the commentator called his punt a low, flat one (I suspected not good), and thence commenced 'that run' where the other team's guy caught the punt at half-back flank, bolted through the center, and kept going and going. Even I knew it wasn't good. Now the media are going with 'Saint cost Philly the Super Bowl, worst punt in Super Bowl history' stories. Gee..like the guy that 'dropped the ashes' kinda thing. Aren't we lovely!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/a ... hiefs.html

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
older saint
SS Life Member

Wasn't a great punt but the guy who caught it was confronted with 7 phili players who all missed tackles and allowed him to change direction.

Gershwin
Club Player

older saint wrote: Tue 14 Feb 2023 4:36pm Wasn't a great punt but the guy who caught it was confronted with 7 phili players who all missed tackles and allowed him to change direction.
Yeah, his teammates could have easily salvaged the situation but they were bloody hopeless. Thanks guys!

summertime and the living is easy ........
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think a few have rose coloured glasses on! Siposs unfortunately stuffed it, his job is to make sure the returner isn’t in a position to return the ball.

Good analysis from a Special Teams expert

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 14 Feb 2023 10:58pm I think a few have rose coloured glasses on! Siposs unfortunately stuffed it, his job is to make sure the returner isn’t in a position to return the ball.

Not arguing that the kick was good but trying to pin this kick as the game swinger is a bit rich.

Apart from the fact that one can easily maintain the argument that the tackle was on there for 4 odd players and they fluffed it and let start that run is equally if not poorer… but more that that, I would argue that the turnover in the first quarter when the eagles were up, had possession and the player fumbled the ball and gave it directly to the chiefs for their first touch down out of nowhere against the play was way way worse than that kick

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 15 Feb 2023 4:50pm
The_Dud wrote: Tue 14 Feb 2023 10:58pm I think a few have rose coloured glasses on! Siposs unfortunately stuffed it, his job is to make sure the returner isn’t in a position to return the ball.

Not arguing that the kick was good but trying to pin this kick as the game swinger is a bit rich.

Apart from the fact that one can easily maintain the argument that the tackle was on there for 4 odd players and they fluffed it and let start that run is equally if not poorer… but more that that, I would argue that the turnover in the first quarter when the eagles were up, had possession and the player fumbled the ball and gave it directly to the chiefs for their first touch down out of nowhere against the play was way way worse than that kick
But that perception doesn’t fit the narrative some wish to go with

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 15 Feb 2023 4:50pm

I think you’re talking about Hurts’s fumble in the second quarter which gave the Chiefs their second TD. Yep that hurt (pun) but he also put the team on his back and had an outstanding game. I think he has something like a 95% win rate when up by double figures at half time.

Punt returners are chosen for a reason, and Toney is one of the most dynamic young players in the league. If you give players like that room to move in the open field they will cut you up, especially when the defenders are all out of position.

Giving Mahomes the ball 5 yards out from the endzone instead of on his own 20 yard line with scores basically tied in the 4th quarter is a killer. You’ve handed all the advantage and momentum over and are now chasing the game.

Hopefully Siposs is back next year (the NFL is notoriously brutal, especially on punters/kickers) and gets another opportunity to preform in a big game.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

100% to The_Dud.

I am unsure if a Superbowl MVP has ever gone to a player on the losing team (unlike the Norm Smith) but if ever a player in the losing team deserved the MVP, it was Jalen Hurts.

Unfortunately for Siposs, opportunities to shine come on the back of the offence being stopped. Sadly, these opportunities also rely on players nailing their tackles or else average punts become magnified.