Intra club game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Intra club game

Is on 10AM on 17 Feb.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Intra club game

saynta wrote: Fri 10 Feb 2023 10:24am Is on 10AM on 17 Feb.
Thanks, i'll be there.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Banger9798
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote: Fri 10 Feb 2023 9:52pm
saynta wrote: Fri 10 Feb 2023 10:24am Is on 10AM on 17 Feb.
Thanks, i'll be there.
Yep , same

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Looking forward to seeing some footy again, but the real test of our new systems and list will be against Melbourne the week after.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I will also be there .
I'll be wearing a yellow rose 8-)

In red white and black from 73
Saints58
Club Player

I can not make it unfortunately will it be streamed live on saints wed site?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Is this still going ahead this morning?

Forecast of 38°, and it's already 30° at 8am.

Saints58
Club Player

Good point is it still on I don't fancy traveling 1 hour going there if the session is cancelled.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Bloody car broken down.
Relying on Saintsationalists to bring in the reports today.

Especially about all the new recruits.

Thanks in advance

SaintWiki
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Sun 12 Feb 2023 9:14pm I can not make it unfortunately will it be streamed live on saints wed site?
Is this just satire, or is it a reality, if so where is the link please?
I'm over 3000km away (as the crow flies)

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Ventured down for a look earlier. It was quite stop-start, not your traditional scratch match. Most match simulation was based off various game scenarios such as kick ins, centre bounce, stoppages around the ground and often split into groups.

Here’s what I noted.

- It would have been a 6-7 goal wind to the Nepean Hwy end.
- Skills by foot were poor. Handballing and quick ball movement were good tho. The conditions didn’t help.
- Intensity not where I’d expect it to be a month out from Round 1. But again, the heat and wind would’ve had an impact.
- Highmore, Wood, Paton, Wilkie and Sinclair stood out as the better performers.
- Oscar Adams did plenty of good things.
- Campbell very good in the air and covers the ground.
- NWM, Sinclair and Coffield took most of the kick-ins. NWM very good kicking into the wind.
- Phillipou did plenty of nice things, including 2 goals within a minute.
- Clark looked good, moved well and used the ball well.
- Peris and Owens have major x-factor.
- Howard played forward and was very vocal. Windhager also quite vocal.
- Lyon was visibly frustrated with players failing to look inboard. Lots players bombing it long or having a pot shot rather than lowering the eyes or centering (sound familiar?).
- Focus seemed to be on running and crumbing into goal, rather than hitting a lead up target.
- Sharman reads the play well and moves to all the right spots. I think he could really prosper in the absence of King.
- Liked Caminiti’s attack on the ball, but didn’t get a lot of it.
- Ross Lyon loves Dougal.
- Cordy looks back up at best.

Those that I couldn't see out there were...

Membrey, Webster, Ross, Marshall, Jones, McKenzie, and obviously King, Hayes, Hotton and Allison.

Keeler was running laps.
Last edited by Beno88 on Fri 17 Feb 2023 12:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Intra/Intra "games ".
Took the light shower to be a good omen. Otherwise the gods may have been peeing on us.
Oscar Adams- a star in waiting.
Phillipou impressive in the flesh.
Wood looking good.
NWM great talent. Glad he's ours. Be interesting if he plays on Langdon next week.
Billings, smooth as.
Overall looks a work in progress. But hot, plenty of time and few stalwarts out.
Embarrassed myself by not recognising HC, and his only disguise was a cap. Thought that new guy looks promising.....
Coffield v. good.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the summaries chaps. Just a quick question how did Howard look as a forward?

I think with Membrey likely to miss a couple of games we needed another forward option. If Howard can create a contest forward, it would be a bonus. Obviously he prefers FB but hopefully Cordy or Highmore can fill the role while Howard is used forward.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 17 Feb 2023 12:40pm Thanks for the summaries chaps. Just a quick question how did Howard look as a forward?

I think with Membrey likely to miss a couple of games we needed another forward option. If Howard can create a contest forward, it would be a bonus. Obviously he prefers FB but hopefully Cordy or Highmore can fill the role while Howard is used forward.
A little awkward. Took a nice contested mark against Wilkie and converted from 40m out.

Unnatural is probably the best way to describe it, but given the focus seemed to be on bringing the ball to ground for Butler, Owens, Higgins, Peris, etc.. his presence was effective.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Would make sense to have one of the best spoilers as a forward if we're wanting to bring the ball to ground.
Howard has excellent closing speed

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Not an intra club per se, the routine was the same as they do most Fridays. Agree with the observations above plus one who stood out for me was Paton on the wing. Likely replacement for McKenzie. He is tough and can run and jump. As someone mentioned quick ball transition was a feature only to be let down by poor kicking and marking.

saint6709
Club Player

- Campbell very good in the air and covers the ground.

Was that a typo or is cambell back out there and moving freely ?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Shane Grambeau is a genius
Predicted Howard would play forward
Has played AFL forward before and been good

In reality it maybe just a ruse ..but right now, can I ask, who is a potential full-back now that Joyce is gone, Lienert is gone? Sharman? I’m serious. Could Sharman play Fback?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I was there as well, i think the previous posters have summed it up pretty well.
After today i've changed my mind about Phillipou, the kid was good up forward and looks ready for round 1. Owens gets frustrated up forward because they never deliver the ball properly to him, when he gets in front they bomb it over his head, when he's clear of his defender he gets ignored.

I was watching Max having set shots at goal when i first got to the ground, lot's of swearing from Max because the ball kept going the wrong side of the stick.

Hayes, Keeler, Jones and Hotton were attempting some drill, there was the 4 of them and 5 footballs, i'm not sure what they were trying to do, whatever it was, they never got it to work.
Lot's of mirth was the main result.

Webster was running laps.
SoS was watching from the balcony.

Dal Santo was assisting out on the ground.

On the small scoreboard the club had "No Filming" displayed for the whole session.
Maybe the club is Pi55ed that film of previous training sessions has ended up on the net.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Fri 17 Feb 2023 1:39pm I was there as well, i think the previous posters have summed it up pretty well.
After today i've changed my mind about Phillipou, the kid was good up forward and looks ready for round 1. Owens gets frustrated up forward because they never deliver the ball properly to him, when he gets in front they bomb it over his head, when he's clear of his defender he gets ignored.

I was watching Max having set shots at goal when i first got to the ground, lot's of swearing from Max because the ball kept going the wrong side of the stick.

Hayes, Keeler, Jones and Hotton were attempting some drill, there was the 4 of them and 5 footballs, i'm not sure what they were trying to do, whatever it was, they never got it to work.
Lot's of mirth was the main result.

Webster was running laps.
SoS was watching from the balcony.

Dal Santo was assisting out on the ground.

On the small scoreboard the club had "No Filming" displayed for the whole session.
Maybe the club is Pi55ed that film of previous training sessions has ended up on the net.
Yeah, some of it has also landed on this forum. I don't see the harm but then I'm not a coach or a saints offivial.

Saintmike65
Club Player

I went today, I must admit I’m fearful that below par footskills and goal kicking inaccuracies are going to haunt us again.
Handballing isn’t too bad but there’s also too much bombing going forward, not enough lowering of the eyes.
We look ok when Sinclair, Hill, Connelly and Nas have ball in hand but overall I have concerns.
Couldn’t believe how long they trained in that heat..started at 10 & didn’t finish until well after 12.30..they’ll be buggered against Melbourne next week!
Phillipou kicked 3 goals and will be in for round 1, Windhager is struggling a little lately, the boss spoke to him twice.
Caminiti was quieter but still took some strong contested marks.
Adams did a couple of nice things, Gresham was busy and was spending a fair amount of time in the midfield.
Billings moved well & was creative, Battle one of the few that was composed by foot.
Last edited by Saintmike65 on Fri 17 Feb 2023 2:39pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Difficult to get a guage on some of the guys today because it wasn't as competitive as I thought it could be.

Gresh, Battle, Wood, NWM, Highmore and Bytel showed good intensity as did Coff, Higgins and Crouch. I don't think some of the younger guys were being used as much but maybe they need to learn to lead more. Maybe that was the plan

Hammer has a good leap but dropped a few marks he should have taken. Sharman was poor below his knees a couple of times, but worked hard and was very busy.

Clark skilful on both sides. Owen is a lock for 22 games if he doesn't get injured. As is Bytel if he's got the tank to play midfield for greater than 80% game time

Sharman and Connolly and Hill and Since are very good field kickers.

Sinclair, Hill, Steele, Wilkie are a class above

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It's a buzz seeing Dal, BJ, Lenny and Harves out there

Great for us die-hards. How far it takes us in 2024-2025, only time will tell. I'm not sure how successful star footballers have been as development coaches

We have some talented youth coming through. Hopefully the foundations are in place to fast track their development
Let's hope the focus remains on the long term.

We'll only be successful if we create a finals capable list. There's a long way to go imo

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Forget to mention Pato. He was good. Held his marks and kicked well also.

There was some nice field kicking out there and as mentioned, not easy with the gusty winds

lloyd21
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 12 Feb 2023 3:34pm Looking forward to seeing some footy again, but the real test of our new systems and list will be against Melbourne the week after.
Look don’t want to sound negative but unfortunately my eyes are telling me tough ,really tough year ahead.
No other way to sugarcoat it, but Owens , Windhager , NWM , Phillipou , Hotton , Bytel give me hope for future.
Will be fit , the amount of running is huge , training is certainly more organised , but we are going to pay the price
for 2019 & 2020 years big time not going hard at the draft .

Really happy with new off field acquisitions ..but really hope media don’t go full Monty, as we are miles off it.
Last edited by lloyd21 on Fri 17 Feb 2023 2:56pm, edited 1 time in total.