Overtraining

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Overtraining

Overtraining is as detrimental as under training.
Is it time questions were asked of the fitness staff? Players dropping like flies.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Overtraining

Gershwin wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 6:41pm Overtraining is as detrimental as under training.
Is it time questions were asked of the fitness staff? Players dropping like flies.
Yep, I think so. Misson should know better though.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 6:44pm
Gershwin wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 6:41pm Overtraining is as detrimental as under training.
A Melbourne poster on BF suggested that is why Melbourne FC got rid of him, they had far too many injuries during his reign.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 6:47pm
A Melbourne poster on BF suggested that is why Melbourne FC got rid of him, they had far too many injuries during his reign.
I say hogwash

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Gershwin
Club Player

Sometimes the demands from above can be so strong that people end up taking risks they would not ordinarily do. I hope that isn’t the case.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Given the nature of the injuries.

No.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Was one of the biggest knocks on Lyon at Freo, the young players especially where constantly injured and burnout was a factor.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps look a little deeper ….
Had less injuries when Misson came on board after GT training services debacle????
Maybe…just maybe that the softer injuries are a result of poor training standards over the last 3 years????
Everyone knows Brett has previously admitted he got it wrong when letting players “choose their own pre season training program”

“Yeah….nah””
Gershwin
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 9:10pm Perhaps look a little deeper ….
Had less injuries when Misson came on board after GT training services debacle????
Maybe…just maybe that the softer injuries are a result of poor training standards over the last 3 years????
Everyone knows Brett has previously admitted he got it wrong when letting players “choose their own pre season training program”
Then that has to be factored into the training plan. Take it a bit slower. There seems to be a sense of urgency that isn’t necessarily good. Hopefully we won’t lose any more players.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 6:47pm
And we had bugger all injuries during his last tenure at the Saints.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Did he really allow the players to choose their pre-season training program? I didn't know that, seriously, he should have been sacked for that alone if that was the case.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Lyon's gameplan, whatever it looks like in the end, will require intensity delivered consistently within games and over games. To achieve this the players need to be conditioned (in a pre-season) to be physically up to the task. Whatever 2023 holds in store, we will see a harder and more consistent St Kilda outfit.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Contact sport = injuries. Nothing sinister going on. Inevitable, that's why lists are long. Who expects to play a full season without injury? Perhaps Josh Schache.

Killa
Club Player

If you are on an AFL List you are fit

It goes with the territory

Even suburban sides have exacting fitness regimes

The only time an AFL footballer is outside the Club regime is during the period described in their Work Place Agreements

And, when they come back from that they are immediately into 3km time trails - for starters

So try slacking off during your break

Yes, fitness is worked on including techniques but it is incremental in the overall scheme of things

So running a PB in the 3km, by how much?

It is a contact sport and over and above that you twist and turn - so injuries happen

These days they do monitor stress levels - so red zones

And they hold players back on that basis

With injuries there is much crossing of fingers

And some players do have generic frailties - so soft tissue such as calf, hamstring, groin etc

That includes all of us, not just AFL footballers

One important aspect is List depth, so you can give players a break when there is a red zone alert

Particularly for younger players and older players

The AFL acknowledge the terrain, hence the rest week ahead of the finals (and the mid season bye)

I would also put that there is very little difference in fitness programs across the AFL - and from season to season

They are all competing in the same competition

And they are all fit - allowing for injuries of course

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Psychological too...

Players not immune to the hyperbole and the feeling of a 'new dawn' with club and AFL legends like BJ and Lenny watching over them.

Not to mention the pot-belly stove in charge of proceedings, stage centre, whistle in hand, turning up its heat, just by presence.

Could they just be trying a little too much?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

pot-belly stove

:lol: :lol: :lol:

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 10:54pm pot-belly stove

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't mean the physique of course.

More so the presence..of the source of the light on the path to Bablylon ..and the source of the heat .. (not pie 'n sauce)

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Would love to see a comparative study on all the clubs’ training regimes.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Training in the resilience is key, clearly we didn't have it previously. Would have ended up with many match day injuries.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 9:53pm
Did he really allow the players to choose their pre-season training program? I didn't know that, seriously, he should have been sacked for that alone if that was the case.
Hardly the case, I would think.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

i get where the criticism is coming from - but its a bit of a stretch
as professionals they were given the freedom to come back ready
the running then starts with time trials etc
given options to work on areas that you see are strengths or weaknesses - i think is ok

its your fitness at the end of the season that matters most

Seeya
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 5:26pm
i get where the criticism is coming from - but its a bit of a stretch
as professionals they were given the freedom to come back ready
the running then starts with time trials etc
given options to work on areas that you see are strengths or weaknesses - i think is ok

its your fitness at the end of the season that matters most
It’s fact.
Ratten admitted they’d botched that pre season by giving players too much latitude over their pre season and allowing them to come back in less than tip too shape
Just take a look at Brad Hill this year….no little muffin top for Brad this year …..why is that???
Standards. That’s why.
I can’t believe people support the club and miss important bits like this…anyhoo RTB sorting it
Oh and take a listen to fitness of the ENTIRE list now buying in….what did our captains presser say?? “Last year we were divided…” why???
Select group of players busted their guts….a number clearly loafed ….not this year it’s being called out
Standards.

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

-We came out flying in '22. We were super fit and won many of those games because we just ran over the oppo in the second half, last quarter.
-conversely, we were terrible in '21 and ran out of puff.

So whatever Brett & co. did re. fitness pre-22 was great; pre-'21 definitely wrong. How we fell in a heap after the bye would have been another lesson for Brett's team in '23, alas we will never know. I think the consensus here is that there is plenty of running. Hopefully, the injury to King was a sharp wake-up call, if indeed, is was foolhardy to be engaging in match sim in November.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Oh to be the West Coast Eagles at the present time.
I heard Luke Shuey on radio the other morning stating Eagles only had 2 injuries at the moment, who couldn’t undertake the normal training sessions. Lucky them eh?

A little different to their last season, when they were having trouble fielding a side for about their first five matches due to major injuries mainly to star players, when they had to use all those ‘top up players’. One match they ran onto the field, where 2 players hadn’t even trained with the side - hope Saints don’t get to that stage.

Sanctorum
Club Player

St Kilda coaches overtraining the players??

That's a joke, surely.....

The pre-season seriuous injuries sustained by King and Hayes are hardly the result of an excessive workload, it's not as if St Kilda's players are going down like flies.

Every club experiences injuries to players during the pre-season, match simulations always carry a risk to a player getting injured.

The only situation where this could be argued is if a player goes down in the gym but nowadays every player will be required to follow pre-set load-bearing exercise programmes so that is a rarity.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist