Zak Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zak Jones

We paid overs???

Pick 31

Are you fair dinkum???

Was a starting 18 player in a finals team for four years

Has played some great games with us, interrupted by injury .

C Grade player my arse!

Up and running he is a very good player - hard as a cats head - quick as fk

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Doubt oppositions spend much time worrying about Zac. Doubt Swans thought twice about letting him go.

Glitters but not gold.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 23 Jan 2023 2:48pm You must’ve been watching a different game to me?!

Jones tore it up, he would’ve had double the possessions of anyone else and when he got it, he used his legs.

If we are going to be a go-quick team in 2023 - he will be in it!

Can play wing, HB, Midfield

When he’s on he can break games open.

Like many line breaking mids - disposal at full pace can be wayward but he moves the ball quickly- has got powerful acceleration
I'd rather a player gets 18 possessions and most of them go to his team mates, instead of a guy getting 30 and a third go back to the opposition

We need him to play to his strengths. Distribute the footy to your team mates who are better kicks. It's how Clint Jones was able to stay best 22.

These are just general comments and I wasn't there today but I've seen enough of him and I watch our games pretty closely

Maybe we need to get better at supporting him and on field talking and leadership needs to improve

There's a lot of positives with his game.

He brings aggression and he can be team lifting with his energy and enthusiasm, but he has always been a bit hit and miss with his kicking

A poor kick can sap the energy of your team and turnovers can swing momentum in a game

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'd just play him through rotations for 70% game time as a half forward/stoppage mid and tell him not to go passed half way and only go forward from a centre bounce.
The moment the ball comes over the half way line, he should be, presenting and following stoppages in an attacking breakaway position or trying to get out the back, ahead of the play. Then he would be dangerous and a big distraction.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Scollop

That doesn’t make a lot of sense

You’d rather 18 possessions with most going to team mates (so let’s say 15 effective possessions
Over
30 possessions and a third go to the opposition
So 20 effective possessions

That’s without saying - whilst you’ve got the footy - the opposition doesn’t

Would you rather your team
Get 400 possessions at 70%
Or 250 at 90%

Winning the ball is equally important to using the ball

Beautiful kicks like Leo Connolly- aren’t much use if they can’t win the footy.
Still the most important skill in the game

Winning/finding the footy

Best players in the game
Oliver, Petracca, Cripps, Dangerfield, Wines, Neale

Their No1 attribute - winning the footy

None of those are elite kicks

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Beno88 wrote: Mon 23 Jan 2023 2:25pm His best has him among our top five players.

His worst is VFL Reserves standard.

It's all about effort, he's got all the other tools.
Agree on the first 2 points.
I think it’s more attitude and fitness . Looks the type that lets things get under his skin, and when he is not 100% fit his form drops away considerably

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
lefty
Club Player

I remember a game late in the season, he didn't basically touch the ball? Ratts mentioned it after the game, can't play midfield all game for 7 disposals or whatever it was? Although having said that, he did lose that weight and probably went off track.

He's a guy that's got burst/speed when the ball is there, not sure if he's an extractor and not sure how hard he works without it, but there's potential there, so maybe RTB can sort it out.

I was more impressed with Seb in one of our games, out of the middle and setup lace out two or three goals in a row. Also keeps chasing no matter what and puts in the extra effort, cant remember what game it was, but it was good :)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M

I like Zak. His energy and effort can't be questioned. It's good if he's working his bum off and if he's setting an example for our young draftees, but it was a training session right?

I wasn't commenting specifically about his work yesterday

Why are you deflecting? Why mention Leo? Did I bring up Leo?

If you want to talk about touches versus impact ...Did Lionel Messi get the most touches each game at the Soccer World Cup finals?

You mentioned Oliver, Petracca, Cripps, Dangerfield, Wines, Neale.

They've performed year after year. They've won Brownlows; there's captains and MVP winners and multiple AA honours ...They've won how many Best and Fairests??

I understand their main attribute is winning the footy but Zac doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation as these guys

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 24 Jan 2023 1:55am B.M

I like Zak. His energy and effort can't be questioned. It's good if he's working his bum off and if he's setting an example for our young draftees, but it was a training session right?

If you want to talk about touches versus impact ...Did Lionel Messi get the most touches each game at the Soccer World Cup finals?

They've performed year after year. They've won Brownlows; there's captains and MVP winners and multiple AA honours ...They've won how many Best and Fairests??

I understand their main attribute is winning the footy but Zac doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation as these guys
Fair points.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 24 Jan 2023 1:55am B.M

Fair points.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I wasn’t comparing Zak to those players

Simply making a point that players who gain possession are equally important as those who get effective possessions

Zak gives a point of difference
Speed out of stoppage

Last season was a write off for him, he probably should not have played at all.

If he’s back to his best this season, we will be better for it

His best is very good

Like Billings, Gresham, Clark he hasn’t been consistent for one reason or another

lloyd21
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 23 Jan 2023 3:50pm Great news about NWM Lloyd21.

Thank you.
Appears I have been misquoted our President advised several of us that list manager will be announced in two weeks.

NWM info didn’t have a timeline..from another person inside the club.

Gershwin
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 24 Jan 2023 9:20am I wasn’t comparing Zak to those players

Simply making a point that players who gain possession are equally important as those who get effective possessions

Zak gives a point of difference
Speed out of stoppage

Last season was a write off for him, he probably should not have played at all.

If he’s back to his best this season, we will be better for it

His best is very good

Like Billings, Gresham, Clark he hasn’t been consistent for one reason or another
So out of a stoppage which St Kilda players would you most want to have the ball?

summertime and the living is easy ........
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

From what I understand Zac's issues last season were more of a personal and mental nature and not a physical injury as such.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Out of stoppage - if I was a leading forward

Jones or Gresham

You want speed on the ball as a forward

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 25 Jan 2023 8:16pm Out of stoppage - if I was a leading forward

Jones or Gresham

When I first saw this question, my mind went straight to Lenny Hayes. I agree with your choices and let’s hope Lenny can improve this pair.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote: Mon 23 Jan 2023 2:37pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 23 Jan 2023 1:27pm Agree BM, hopefully he can get a decent run with injury? A lack of a dependable body has been his biggest hurdle. if he can play an entire season it would make us a much better team. His continued injury history is possibly why people forget what a difference he makes, in the past he just cant be relied on.

Gresham is the same, he just hasnt played enough games to make a difference. Billings in more recent years is probably in the same position.

If Misson cant get these players right this year, then IMO the club needs to make some tough calls at seasons end. We cant continue to have top tier players on the list that only play a hand full of games per year. Hannebury was the perfect example, of wasted resources.

Funny I was at training thought Zak Jones was bloody awful panic kicks to no one ..particularly in grid sessions .

Hunter Clark , NWM & Philipou all class …Owens going to be very exciting kid , Windhager ..also..

Battle outstanding .

Still think we are way off …been assured NWM going nowhere…and told list manager will be announced probably in 2 weeks
no indication of who it is..
That’s the read from good pundits like Stav etc on Bigfooty too
Yes gets the ball….bursts forward….still doesn’t take the first option …runs into trouble
Doesn’t possess Hunter Clarke evasive skills or disposal skills either …
Interesting some suggestions that our 3 second trial will severely challenge him and he’ll frustrate RTB
Will be an interesting watch
But agree with those that suggest long term we need to upgrade….Swans don’t let go of players often…their list is choc full of talented kids (yes yes I know they lost the GF) but they’re the 5th youngest side in the comp and don’t spend years flogging dead horses hoping their skills or decision making improves…

“Yeah….nah””
happy feet
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Wed 25 Jan 2023 11:13pm
lloyd21 wrote: Mon 23 Jan 2023 2:37pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 23 Jan 2023 1:27pm Agree BM, hopefully he can get a decent run with injury? A lack of a dependable body has been his biggest hurdle. if he can play an entire season it would make us a much better team. His continued injury history is possibly why people forget what a difference he makes, in the past he just cant be relied on.

Gresham is the same, he just hasnt played enough games to make a difference. Billings in more recent years is probably in the same position.

If Misson cant get these players right this year, then IMO the club needs to make some tough calls at seasons end. We cant continue to have top tier players on the list that only play a hand full of games per year. Hannebury was the perfect example, of wasted resources.

Funny I was at training thought Zak Jones was bloody awful panic kicks to no one ..particularly in grid sessions .

Hunter Clark , NWM & Philipou all class …Owens going to be very exciting kid , Windhager ..also..

Battle outstanding .

Still think we are way off …been assured NWM going nowhere…and told list manager will be announced probably in 2 weeks
no indication of who it is..
That’s the read from good pundits like Stav etc on Bigfooty too
Yes gets the ball….bursts forward….still doesn’t take the first option …runs into trouble
Doesn’t possess Hunter Clarke evasive skills or disposal skills either …
Interesting some suggestions that our 3 second trial will severely challenge him and he’ll frustrate RTB
Will be an interesting watch
But agree with those that suggest long term we need to upgrade….Swans don’t let go of players often…their list is choc full of talented kids (yes yes I know they lost the GF) but they’re the 5th youngest side in the comp and don’t spend years flogging dead horses hoping their skills or decision making improves…
I think the Swans will be up and about early next season. The GF performance will irk them somewhat.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I agree re Swans
Proud club will sting abd they’re still young
I think we might be a fun dude to watch next year ….move the ball at speed will come off and look a million dollars ….other times ….cue Benny Hill music … but we’ll at least know what we are going for

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I would play him forward pocket ..He is tough and crashes through and can snap quickly. How wide are the goal posts? Wider than the palms of a forward on a lead. He can butcher the ball and still kick a goal. Or he can take a set shot when he is calm and unhurried.

Well done Shane!

Again I solve a problem.

Now the mid-field..

Windy comes in!
As a regular..
And then the others...
Ross and Crouch are the old men providing the calmness.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

[Sydney] don’t spend years flogging dead horses hoping their skills or decision making improves…

Totally agree with this Teffers. It's why I feel we should be adopting some of their list strategy processes such as having a portion of the list reserved for higher turnover of players who where "longer" and more "speculative" types. Even with sporting grants from the government, players like Peris for mine are way too speculative as it appears he will need much longer than my suggested 2 year time frame.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Jones or Gresham

Much rather a ‘slow’ player who can hit a target than a ‘fast’ player who’s going to kick a floater over my head.

Also, the actual speed difference between a ‘slow’ and ‘fast’ midfielder is massively overstated.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 8:01am

[Sydney] don’t spend years flogging dead horses hoping their skills or decision making improves…

Totally agree with this Teffers. It's why I feel we should be adopting some of their list strategy processes such as having a portion of the list reserved for higher turnover of players who where "longer" and more "speculative" types. Even with sporting grants from the government, players like Peris for mine are way too speculative as it appears he will need much longer than my suggested 2 year time frame.
Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. As you know I don’t agree with your 2 year time frame, many others don’t as well. We also need to consider the age of the player when brought into the club’s system. Perhaps they are grabbing players who are young before any other club signs them, and thus due to their age require more time.

I would appreciate a comment from someone who is closer to this. B.M are you there?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 9:52am

Jones or Gresham

Much rather a ‘slow’ player who can hit a target than a ‘fast’ player who’s going to kick a floater over my head.
...unless it sails over my head and through for a goal.

I tell'ya ...
Jones forward pocket,
=basher, crasher, whipper snapper!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 10:04am
Vortex wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 8:01am

Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. As you know I don’t agree with your 2 year time frame, many others don’t as well. We also need to consider the age of the player when brought into the club’s system. Perhaps they are grabbing players who are young before any other club signs them, and thus due to their age require more time.

I would appreciate a comment from someone who is closer to this. B.M are you there?
Just because you disagree doesn't necessarily mean you are right I mentioned Sydney as one club that has a similar strategy within their overall strategy. Sydney is a great example of having a diverse recruitment strategy, pretty sure I've read B.Ms views on having a diverse recruitment strategy.

We have a reputation for hanging onto project players too long, mostly as a result of being run poorly in every department. Hoping Ross has evolved in this area.

Byrnes, Bytel and Connolly are examples of players who need tough calls on this year if they don't step up and prove they can play in a GF team.

Sharman is another, if he's still languishing at Sandy in the second year of his 2 year contract then it will be enough of a look to make a call.