Zak Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zak Jones

Vortex wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 11:32am
happy feet wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 10:04am
Vortex wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 8:01am
Teflon wrote: Wed 25 Jan 2023 11:13pm

[Sydney] don’t spend years flogging dead horses hoping their skills or decision making improves…

Totally agree with this Teffers. It's why I feel we should be adopting some of their list strategy processes such as having a portion of the list reserved for higher turnover of players who where "longer" and more "speculative" types. Even with sporting grants from the government, players like Peris for mine are way too speculative as it appears he will need much longer than my suggested 2 year time frame.
Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. As you know I don’t agree with your 2 year time frame, many others don’t as well. We also need to consider the age of the player when brought into the club’s system. Perhaps they are grabbing players who are young before any other club signs them, and thus due to their age require more time.

I would appreciate a comment from someone who is closer to this. B.M are you there?
Just because you disagree doesn't necessarily mean you are right I mentioned Sydney as one club that has a similar strategy within their overall strategy. Sydney is a great example of having a diverse recruitment strategy, pretty sure I've read B.Ms views on having a diverse recruitment strategy.

We have a reputation for hanging onto project players too long, mostly as a result of being run poorly in every department. Hoping Ross has evolved in this area.

Byrnes, Bytel and Connolly are examples of players who need tough calls on this year if they don't step up and prove they can play in a GF team.

Sharman is another, if he's still languishing at Sandy in the second year of his 2 year contract then it will be enough of a look to make a call.
What industry are you in?

How'd you go in your first 2-3 years?

Were you a pro who was as productive and valuable as other more seasoned employees?

Some players require more time. Cooper or Ryan could perhaps be in that category.

I had a look at Darragh Joyce's career games and I saw a guy who never gained any continuity. How do you expect a bloke to gain experience and confidence if he's in one week and out the next?

I'm hoping for St Kilda's sake that he is a big fail at Brisbane, but it would be ironic if they play him for 6-7 games in a row and he secures another contract beyond 2023

happy feet
Club Player

[Sydney] don’t spend years flogging dead horses hoping their skills or decision making improves…

Totally agree with this Teffers. It's why I feel we should be adopting some of their list strategy processes such as having a portion of the list reserved for higher turnover of players who where "longer" and more "speculative" types. Even with sporting grants from the government, players like Peris for mine are way too speculative as it appears he will need much longer than my suggested 2 year time frame.
Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. As you know I don’t agree with your 2 year time frame, many others don’t as well. We also need to consider the age of the player when brought into the club’s system. Perhaps they are grabbing players who are young before any other club signs them, and thus due to their age require more time.

I would appreciate a comment from someone who is closer to this. B.M are you there?
Just because you disagree doesn't necessarily mean you are right I mentioned Sydney as one club that has a similar strategy within their overall strategy. Sydney is a great example of having a diverse recruitment strategy, pretty sure I've read B.Ms views on having a diverse recruitment strategy.

We have a reputation for hanging onto project players too long, mostly as a result of being run poorly in every department. Hoping Ross has evolved in this area.

Byrnes, Bytel and Connolly are examples of players who need tough calls on this year if they don't step up and prove they can play in a GF team.

Sharman is another, if he's still languishing at Sandy in the second year of his 2 year contract then it will be enough of a look to make a call.
And just because you post something on here does not necessarily mean that it is correct also. I think your 2 year rule is a bit harsh but you’re entitled to your view, just as I am to mine.

Sydney do seem to get it right and like all here we want the Saints to do better in this area.

The forum is about expression of ideas, views and opinions. Please don’t fall back into being combative and sniping.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 12:42pm

And just because you post something on here does not necessarily mean that it is correct also. I think your 2 year rule is a bit harsh but you’re entitled to your view, just as I am to mine.

Sydney do seem to get it right and like all here we want the Saints to do better in this area.

The forum is about expression of ideas, views and opinions. Please don’t fall back into being combative and sniping.
Yes it is about ideas, views and opinions, please learn to accept that sometimes it's best not to always be confrontive if you are finding it challenging in accepting other posters points of view. Now let's just leave it at that.

Now back on the footy, I accept my view is harsh, but that is hopefully what the new regime is all about, and I know other clubs (successful clubs) employ the strategy to great effect, Sydney is one example as highlighted by Teffers. And the other thing I'd suggest when considering new ideas is always use an appropriate reference point, meaning look to how the successful clubs go about recruitment, definitely don't use our club for examples of good recruiting. And definitely don't repeat the same mistake and expect a different result, so rather than "speculate to accumulate, can I suggest a more progressive saying and that is "innovate" to accumulate.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 11:44am

Were you a pro who was as productive and valuable as other more seasoned employees?

Some players require more time. Cooper or Ryan could perhaps be in that category.

I had a look at Darragh Joyce's career games and I saw a guy who never gained any continuity. How do you expect a bloke to gain experience and confidence if he's in one week and out the next?

I'm hoping for St Kilda's sake that he is a big fail at Brisbane, but it would be ironic if they play him for 6-7 games in a row and he secures another contract beyond 2023
To answer your question, and this may sound conceited, I'm in the money making business, within the first year of graduation I was being promoted ahead of senior staff with more than 20 years experience, by the age of 27 I was considered by my peers to be one of the best in the industry. I hope that helps you understand why I have the view I do about the 2 year strategy and I know it is a strategy employed at other clubs. Doesn't have to be a hard and fast rule without any wriggle room, but we have a reputation for keeping players on the list well beyond accepting they probably won't ever become a grand final type player. Joyce is a fantastic example, who at any stage of his time at our club thought he would eventually wear a premiership medallion around his neck?

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 1:16pm
happy feet wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 12:42pm

Yes it is about ideas, views and opinions, please learn to accept that sometimes it's best not to always be confrontive if you are finding it challenging in accepting other posters points of view. Now let's just leave it at that.

Now back on the footy, I accept my view is harsh, but that is hopefully what the new regime is all about, and I know other clubs (successful clubs) employ the strategy to great effect, Sydney is one example as highlighted by Teffers. And the other thing I'd suggest when considering new ideas is always use an appropriate reference point, meaning look to how the successful clubs go about recruitment, definitely don't use our club for examples of good recruiting. And definitely don't repeat the same mistake and expect a different result, so rather than "speculate to accumulate, can I suggest a more progressive saying and that is "innovate" to accumulate.
I am not being confrontational at all. I accept that you have your view just as you should accept that I have mine. They are different and that is no big deal. We all need to understand that none of us are correct 100% of the time.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 1:24pm

To answer your question, and this may sound conceited, I'm in the money making business, within the first year of graduation I was being promoted ahead of senior staff with more than 20 years experience, by the age of 27 I was considered by my peers to be one of the best in the industry. I hope that helps you understand why I have the view I do about the 2 year strategy and I know it is a strategy employed at other clubs. Doesn't have to be a hard and fast rule without any wriggle room, but we have a reputation for keeping players on the list well beyond accepting they probably won't ever become a grand final type player. Joyce is a fantastic example, who at any stage of his time at our club thought he would eventually wear a premiership medallion around his neck?
And he still might. Blowing your ridiculous theory sky high.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 1:41pm

Please refrain from attacking posters with insults, St.Byron would appreciate it very much and so would I.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Indeed he might.
St Kilda has lost many fringe players that have gone on to greatness.
Yabby Jeans told Mick Malthouse he wasn't much chop and could expect plenty of Reserves games.

121 games at Richmond. Flag.
Saints (in Malthouse's stint at Richmond) 4 Wooden Spoons, 11th twice, 10th once (out of 12 teams)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 2:06pm

Please refrain from attacking posters with insults, St.Byron would appreciate it very much and so would I.
And you should not be judgemental of others.

Killa
Club Player

Sydney provided St Kilda with Hannebery, Membrey and Jones (noting Hannebery polled 3 Brownlow votes in his final game and versus Sydney)

St Kilda provided Sydney with Hickey and McCartin

Sydney provided a Dad’s Army Geelong with their first premiership in how many years - and were thrashed in the process

Puts Sydney’s effort into perspective hey?

We will see what 2023 brings for all 18 sides

Should St Kilda have followed the Geelong model, recruiting veterans to add to their veterans whilst delisting younger players untried whilst at Geelong

Given Geelong finally won a premiership with the oldest side to achieve premiership success

Noting that Geelong in the passage of any season have an advantage in advance of interstate Clubs who share their venue and that this is a distinct advantage in qualifying for finals in the first place

And ask Ling about after football business opportunities which Geelong offer to players, those business opportunities in Geelong, a Regional City

So all things are not equal

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 2:19pm

I'm not judging anyone, St.Byron has set the tone for how he will apply the rules I have asked him to apply them consistently and without bias and to his credit he seems to be doing that so that means I am entitled to not be relentlessly targeted by posters like yourself with yet another post that is not about the footy. Clearly you enjoy baiting because I note you have a one week ban for starting a thread specifically to bait a poster so that suggests you enjoy baiting. I am not judging Sayntas post I am just going to highlight any post directed towards me that doesn't comply with the rules and St.Byrons strict and consistent policing of said rules in an effort to protect myself.

May I suggest you stick to posting solely about the footy because anymore non footy posts from you and I will report it.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I used to think this sparing on forums was pointless, but now, I see a point in it.
Within limits..it keeps us sharp and calibrated...it defines the rules of a community..we have to fight to belong...and that may be healthy somehow..

It is certainly natural..

But suicide is also natural..

I like these guys arguing...rhetoric 101

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 2:48pm

I'm not judging anyone, St.Byron has set the tone for how he will apply the rules I have asked him to apply them consistently and without bias and to his credit he seems to be doing that so that means I am entitled to not be relentlessly targeted by posters like yourself with yet another post that is not about the footy. Clearly you enjoy baiting because I note you have a one week ban for starting a thread specifically to bait a poster so that suggests you enjoy baiting. I am not judging Sayntas post I am just going to highlight any post directed towards me that doesn't comply with the rules and St.Byrons strict and consistent policing of said rules in an effort to protect myself.

May I suggest you stick to posting solely about the footy because anymore non footy posts from you and I will report it.
Duly noted. Consider yourself on notice as well.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 3:16pm

reported, a threat that is not footy related aimed at baiting.

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 4:39pm

Oh for goodness sake, you threatened me with the same thing in the previous post. Please do some self reflecting about your behaviour on here. I should report you but I really couldn’t be bothered.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 4:57pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 4:39pm

Oh for goodness sake, you threatened me with the same thing in the previous post. Please do some self reflecting about your behaviour on here. I should report you but I really couldn’t be bothered.
reported

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 23 Jan 2023 4:16pm If you look at our major wins since Jones arrived from Sydney, he has been right up there in influencing the result usually 30 plus possessions and breaking lines.

An automatic first choice 22 when fit and available.
And our losses when he has not contributed much?
When a team wins players will have played well.
Can't remember him winning a game for us by selever when others have struggled.
Can remember him being diabolical and selfish. On balance we probably would not miss him imo.
Concede situations of Zac demanding the ball, getting it given to him, a forward clear and Zac pausing either to be tackled htb or the opportunity ahead lapses sticks in my mind. He has done a number of great plays, just so inconsistent/unreliable. Can drive you mad.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Zak Jones wins and losses pretty much mirrors Saints 2020-2022. Doesn't seem to highlight anything but I haven't checked his individual possessions for each game.

Only involved in 4 wins and he played 13 games in total in 2022 but missed a large chunk at the start of the year when we were going well
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... Jones.html

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Hi guys. Have to say that the kind of disagreement in this thread is a vast improvement on recent disagreements. Shane does have a point too - that arguing helps us to define the boundaries and where we stand within it. Just so long as it's not insulting. Nothing to take any action over in this thread. As well as taking action, there has to be a balance of not over-policing.
And......having a trigger finger is a lot more work for the mod.....

happy feet
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 10:43am Hi guys. Have to say that the kind of disagreement in this thread is a vast improvement on recent disagreements. Shane does have a point too - that arguing helps us to define the boundaries and where we stand within it. Just so long as it's not insulting. Nothing to take any action over in this thread. As well as taking action, there has to be a balance of not over-policing.
FC

From what I see, disagreeing with someone should not be construed as baiting. The moment it is, well I suppose it will be the end of this forum and others.

Thanks SB.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

FFS

Enough with the quoting

It makes reading a thread ridiculous

Do you have to keep quoting entire conversations to reply to???

If you have to quote (because obviously people are too dumb to work out who comments are directed at because they can’t follow a conversation!)
Can’t you just quote the last comment you’re replying to

It’s a fkn joke

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 9:08pm FFS

Enough with the quoting

If you have to quote (because obviously people are too dumb to work out who comments are directed at because they can’t follow a conversation!)

It’s a fkn joke
Can I quote you on that?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think Zak was slightly embarrassed at training today, his Mum said hello to him and invited him to a BBQ on Sunday, then as she was leaving she said, love you Zak, someone in the dugout made
a wise crack and they all cracked up and gave Zak a ribbing.

Will the Saints ever have a quality midfield ?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 10:43am Hi guys. Have to say that the kind of disagreement in this thread is a vast improvement on recent disagreements. Shane does have a point too - that arguing helps us to define the boundaries and where we stand within it. Just so long as it's not insulting. Nothing to take any action over in this thread. As well as taking action, there has to be a balance of not over-policing.

Well said.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 9:08pm FFS

Enough with the quoting

It’s a fkn joke
there is one person that appears in just about every long winded multiple quotes that usually end up bad news... let's guess who it is ?