Training today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

outside66
Club Player

Training today

Popped down for about 45 minutes today. Here's what I observed;

- Decent turnout of fans and media (media for Stocker announcement I'd assume?)
- Ross spotted Jason Gram from the middle of the ground, sauntered over, had a chat at the fence for 5 minutes before getting back to it. Gram looks in good shape so nice to think that he's sorted himself out in recent times
- Heath puts a lot of pressure on himself (in a good way) and if he mucks up a play or does something that he's not happy with (i.e. getting outmarked by Marshall) then you'll hear about it. Overally he definitely seems to cover the ground more and looks pretty hungry to improve
- Coffield and Jones doing one-out work with a coach for a bit where BJ will kick it in and they will try to take a grab. Jones took a mini speccy and Coffield looked very solid and assured.
- Wilkie is the heartbeat in terms of his voice and direction on the park
- Phillipou very confident (stating the obvious I know but he definitely has grown in said confidence since the last training I went to which would have been his 2nd or 3rd session)
- Gresh still bombs it but looks in good shape
- Stocker is a beast
- Higgins is another who is covering the ground very well and one of the loudest also
- Billings was in the pool
- Foot skills were pretty underwhelming but nothing new
- Big focus on voice where Hayes stopped a couple of drills to highlight the quiet. Boys responded but it looks like old habits die hard so this is an area that will need a lot more work

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training today

I am glad to hear they are working on the voice on the track. Teams who talk and communicate well, generally link well and support each other. It creates confidence amongst a group and lifts everyone in the team when they hear a team mate calling them in, or wrapping their actions in front of their opponents. It also works magic on how it affects the psyche of the opposition.

As a coach you know your players are on when there is plenty of chatter out of the park. Its amazing how the basics of footy when taught well apply to all levels of the game.

PS Thanks for the report O66.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sat 21 Jan 2023 12:53am, edited 1 time in total.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I was at training today for over 2 hours.

It's easy to spot RTB out on the field, he's the one with the camel hump, i thought he would have slimmed off a bit by now, maybe Mr Misson is working him slowly.

It looked like Battle got injured again, or, they are taking precautions with him, the physio was working on Battle's left abductor for awhile, he was on and off the ground.

Lot's of match simulations, clearly they are working on their game plan with the coaches barking instructions, asking questions and letting players know when they
didn't stick to the plan.

Allison and Sharman definitely trialing as Key Forwards, Van Es and Owens both had a go as Key Forwards as well.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I saw RTB in a posted training video he has been enjoying the good life hasnt he. Its not a great look for the head coach of a professional sporting outfit to look so out of shape. He is not Stuart Dew size, but he could do with some intervention from Misson & Walsh to grab him and get him spending a few hours in the gym also.

AFL coaching is a stressful business old RTB needs to start looking after himself.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023 12:57am I saw RTB in a posted training video he has been enjoying the good life hasnt he. Its not a great look for the head coach of a professional sporting outfit to look so out of shape. He is not Stuart Dew size, but he could do with some intervention from Misson & Walsh to grab him and get him spending a few hours in the gym also.

AFL coaching is a stressful business old RTB needs to start looking after himself.
Ratten was in poor physical shape too..reckon he aged 10 years during his coaching tenure.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023 4:21pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023 12:57am I saw RTB in a posted training video he has been enjoying the good life hasnt he. Its not a great look for the head coach of a professional sporting outfit to look so out of shape. He is not Stuart Dew size, but he could do with some intervention from Misson & Walsh to grab him and get him spending a few hours in the gym also.

Ratten was in poor physical shape too..reckon he aged 10 years during his coaching tenure.
Yep. Tough gig coaching the Saints.

guitars4
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023 4:38pm

On a hiding to nothing even before you start but I do feel a slight confidence that with the on field coaching group that we have assembled. Maybe not this year but if we can give the likes of NWM & Clark a reason to recommit it will be a blessing IMO anyway

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023 10:54pm

On a hiding to nothing even before you start but I do feel a slight confidence that with the on field coaching group that we have assembled. Maybe not this year but if we can give the likes of NWM & Clark a reason to recommit it will be a blessing IMO anyway
Ross will have the same extreme challenge Ratts and Richo did, lack of available talent, I joke about Ross having a magic wand but that's just a joke, this current crop of coaches will fail like so .many before them if the club can't procure the required amount of luck needed to recruit and injury manage a list capable of making and winning a GF. The only way they can succeed is if the club finally let's a coaching group coach we'll beyond 2 years and we dont allow that to happen at St Kilda. In reality Ross may need up to 7 to 10 years to win a flag but he will be gone before his first contract is complete if he is any where near a 33% win ratio over the next 2 years.

Bookmark it.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Wow Vortex dont choke on your optimism!

I completely disagree, I believe Lyon's systems and confidence he will instill in the players will lift them significantly. Our list is a top 8 level, but as has been the case in past years we will need a better run with injuries. No club can afford a large number of their better players unavailable.

Sure there are holes in the list and I would love the club to find another ready to play key forward/ruckman before the season starts, but I doubt that happens. We wont be playing in GF's next season, but I cant see why with some more smart recruiting and development of the list why we cant in the next 3 or 4 years.

Killa
Club Player

I note the reference to 7-10 years being required for St Kilda to be in the premiership window.

So, by extension, only a handful of the current List will be there in 7-10 years, those who will be there only now starting out on their careers (so who knows how they will progress?)

The reference to 7-10 years is a nonsense.

You compete every year, you review and you recruit including recruiting established talent as and when it is available and noting the deficiencies identified in the year on year reviews.

If St Kilda could add class back up to Howard, Marshall (who I see as key by establishing that he is the premier footballer on St Kilda's List and competition elite) and King the dimension changes.

Then injury free seasons for the likes of Coffield, Jones, Gresham, Steele, Clark, Billings and Higgins.

The interest will be the progress of the youth with the physical attributes to provide the back up to Howard, Marshall and King.

Because there are a few in that category.

The injury to King gives the first opportunity.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 22 Jan 2023 8:42am

Ross will have the same extreme challenge Ratts and Richo did, lack of available talent, I joke about Ross having a magic wand but that's just a joke, this current crop of coaches will fail like so .many before them if the club can't procure the required amount of luck needed to recruit and injury manage a list capable of making and winning a GF. The only way they can succeed is if the club finally let's a coaching group coach we'll beyond 2 years and we dont allow that to happen at St Kilda. In reality Ross may need up to 7 to 10 years to win a flag but he will be gone before his first contract is complete if he is any where near a 33% win ratio over the next 2 years.

Bookmark it.
like a broken record yet some still get sucked in by it.

keep up the good work.

yeah I know.. you are a giver.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 22 Jan 2023 4:04pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 22 Jan 2023 8:42am

Bookmark it.
like a broken record yet some still get sucked in by it.

keep up the good work.

yeah I know.. you are a giver.
yes I admit I'm a contrarian, it's how I keep the people around me working at their best, can't sugar coat everything, however you do realise there is a fair bit of irony this style of posting you are persisting with. how about the occasional post about your thoughts on the footy rather than consistently posting negatively about another poster and baiting which I believe there are some rules for.

Now come on, respond with a footy thought of your own.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Which one?
:D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintWiki
Club Player

Thanks for the training reports guys - as usual the thread went downhill fast from then - bloody hell

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Sun 22 Jan 2023 6:23pm Thanks for the training reports guys - as usual the thread went downhill fast from then - bloody hell
Well said SW, some continue to pollute threads with nothing additions to the actual topic. This is a like post but proves the point when it should be about the topic.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Can the moderators act against posters who continually polite threads and spoil the forum for passionate Saints supporters?

One year will be our year
longtimesaint
Club Player

Polute threads

One year will be our year
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

yeah I thought commenting on Ross's physical appearance was unnecessary myself and well off topic.

Crossy66
Club Player

Coming down from the bush and wanted to take the kids to training tomorrow ( Monday). Is it definitely on and if so, is it around 9.00 am?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

► Show Spoiler
longtimesaint wrote: Sun 22 Jan 2023 9:27pm Can the moderators act against posters who continually polite threads and spoil the forum for passionate Saints supporters?
Hi longtimesaint. Just to be clear there is only one moderator at this point. Be assured I am now on the case of repeat offending posters.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Mon 23 Jan 2023 7:39am
► Show Spoiler
longtimesaint wrote: Sun 22 Jan 2023 9:27pm Can the moderators act against posters who continually polite threads and spoil the forum for passionate Saints supporters?
Hi longtimesaint. Just to be clear there is only one moderator at this point. Be assured I am now on the case of repeat offending posters.
Be good if you could weed out the posters who can't stick to posting about footy and come here all angry with only personal attacks.

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Does anybody know if the boys are going away on a training camp like some other teams are. Usually happens about this time.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 23 Jan 2023 8:02am
st.byron wrote: Mon 23 Jan 2023 7:39am
► Show Spoiler
Be good if you could weed out the posters who can't stick to posting about footy and come here all angry with only personal attacks.
Vortex, you're on notice. Stick to posting about the footy.
A poster's history plays a part in the way their posts are moderated. There will be no further tolerance for smart arse condescending, belittling, baiting, trolling, abusive or personally derogatory posting.

You're on your fifth nic. There won't be another one.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 22 Jan 2023 9:46pm yeah I thought commenting on Ross's physical appearance was unnecessary myself and well off topic.
I honestly can’t see the relevance of a 55 year old elite coach carrying extra weight!
Take it from me, he patrols around the ground and misses NOTHING!!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's his brain that matters. Dont care what he looks like. It's not a beauty contest