Training reports

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scoop
Club Player

Re: Training reports

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 30 Jan 2023 1:56pm For those able to get to training, has Max Heath done any work in the forward half? Or is the fact he's not on the injury list mean the answer is "No"?
He was definitely doing work in the forward line today. And Van Es has as well of recent times.

Also, not wishing to be the harbinger of doom, but Membrey hasn't trained for the last couple of sessions. Was swimming today!! We asked him if he was ok and the reply was "all good"!! 🤞

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
wally
Club Player

IS it feasible that they remove the first option (Membrey) to force the team to use the other options?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Since when was Skunk ever the 'first' option?

Since arriving at St Kilda he had to earn a spot in a crowded forward line with Riewoldt, Bruce and McCartin as the Number 1 go to forwards.

Roo momentarily went to the wing in 2016, and McCartin was in and out of the side. Josh Bruce kicked 38. Members excelled with 44 majors as second option or third option.

Roo unfortunately took over again as Full Forward in 2017.

When both Roo and McCartin weren't playing in 2019 and Max was on the sidelines, he had another good year and kicked another 44 goals for the year (in a bottom 4 team). Josh Bruce kicked 36 as 'first' option

In 2020 he was in the leadership group and got 3rd in the B&F in the year we made finals. It was a reduced season in many ways and his goals tally doesn't tell the full story of his value to the team

Max King has clearly been the dominant 1st option for the last two years

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Proven AFL performers who have been goal kickers in the past are the only option left due to an injury crisis. We don't have the luxury of being choosy, goal kickers of any size or shape will do. Members and Wood are our new talls in front of goal.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Vortex wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 11:12am Proven AFL performers who have been goal kickers in the past are the only option left due to an injury crisis. We don't have the luxury of being choosy, goal kickers of any size or shape will do. Members and Wood are our new talls in front of goal.
Could be a blessing in disguise, in the end?
I mean players will be "forced" to "lower their eyes" due to our shorter, more-mobile forward line, instead of kicking it long into the F50 (our normal and predictable default).

That's a good thing, right?

I think Sharman would fit in perfectly with this new style - with the emphasis on "leading" - and a mobile, accurate-kicking forward line, with multiple forwards.

Defences won't know where the next lead will come from, and which lead to defend?
We could cause headaches.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 11:30am
Vortex wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 11:12am Proven AFL performers who have been goal kickers in the past are the only option left due to an injury crisis. We don't have the luxury of being choosy, goal kickers of any size or shape will do. Members and Wood are our new talls in front of goal.
I mean players will be forced to "lower their eyes" due to our shorter, more-mobile forward line, instead of kicking it long into the F50.

I think Sharman would fit in perfectly with this new style - with the emphasis on leading and accurate-kicking forwards.

Defences won't know where the next lead will come from, and which lead to defend?
Possibly, but if the potential to score isn't converted and/or the opposition defence win the ball from the entry then the opposition were able to score out of our F50 easily with Sharman in the forward line because of his defensive weakness. Watch his first 2 games of 2022 to see illustrations of why he was dropped and then came back as a defender.

As I keep saying, you need a lot more than the ability to mark and kick at AFL level. There may never be a better time for Sharman to announce himself than now, will probably never get another opportunity so he should throw everything at it right now.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

A forward line of six, with power and grace,
Sharman, Membrey, Higgins, Wood, Billings, Gresham's the pace.
Mobile, quick, and nimble on the ball,
Defences quake and fear their goal-kicking haul.

With feet that dance, and hands that glide,
They score from range, and never hide.
Their pace creates, a chaotic scene,
Opposing backs, struggling to keep their team.

Each player strong, with skills to match,
Their teamwork causing headaches, they never scratch.
With flair and power, they rule the ground,
Their names resound, as they kick another round.

So, watch out defences, they're on the prowl,
The goal-kicking six, a threat to all.
They'll leave you dizzy, as they weave their way,
Scoring goals, and winning games, each and every day.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Someone's discovered Chat GPT

Sanctorum
Club Player

Love your work samoth but I'd substitute Butler for Billings, he's a suoerb goal sneak....

The essence of philosophy is that a man should so live that his happiness shall depend as little as possible on external things.

"No man is free who is not master of himself."

Epictetus, Greek Stoic Philiosopher (c. 50 – c. 135 AD)
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

So Josh Eyre has seriously damaged his hamstring. He probably won't get a look in now.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
wally
Club Player

My previous comment on Membrey being first option was related to our current situation with injuries him being the most experienced forward atm.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 1:15pm My previous comment on Membrey being first option was related to our current situation with injuries him being the most experienced forward atm.
Can't see him being anything other than 1st banna with Wood 2nd banana but both still using their superior athletic profiles up to the wing and back. Being AFL capable is the first requirement to being picked so if you are way off the pace then your development starts at Sandy.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope the new List Management team find us another Key Forward at year's end.

Let's hope Keeler is injury free and get's a good go at the 2024 pre-season.

Will the Saints ever have a quality midfield ?
samoht
Saintsational Legend

chat GPT's latest attempt at a poem ...

Though their head coach at Freo, had a record so grim,
With win-loss ratio, at a lowly 30% (last 4 yrs) .. that's him.
The new-look forward line shall not be swayed,
Sharman, Membrey, Higgins, Wood, Billings, Gresham, a team unafraid.

With mobile pace, and shots so true,
They"ll score with ease, for me and you.
Confusion and chaos, their play will bring,
Opposing backs, no solace in their fling.

Each player stout, with skill so rare,
Their teamwork flawless, beyond compare.
With grace and power, they'll lead the fray,
Their names a glory, heard in every play.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 11:46am
samoht wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 11:30am
I mean players will be forced to "lower their eyes" due to our shorter, more-mobile forward line, instead of kicking it long into the F50.

I think Sharman would fit in perfectly with this new style - with the emphasis on leading and accurate-kicking forwards.

Possibly, but if the potential to score isn't converted and/or the opposition defence win the ball from the entry then the opposition were able to score out of our F50 easily with Sharman in the forward line because of his defensive weakness. Watch his first 2 games of 2022 to see illustrations of why he was dropped and then came back as a defender.

As I keep saying, you need a lot more than the ability to mark and kick at AFL level. There may never be a better time for Sharman to announce himself than now, will probably never get another opportunity so he should throw everything at it right now.
Funny. Half a pre-season ago. He was no where near it.
Now, his tank is filling, he has muscled up a few kegs, he is daring enough to take a screamer at training and Goddard is apparently right in his ear. 🙂
Sharman might shock a few by delivering lace out passes into the goal zone from right up on a wing.
He seems to be a go to at training in disposing by foot off set plays.
He can find the leading space for a well placed kick to be delivered or take the ball in the air, we've seen this already and clearly, he wants that noticed on the training track.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 10:59pm

Funny. Half a pre-season ago. He was no where near it.
Now, his tank is filling, he has muscled up a few kegs, he is daring enough to take a screamer at training and Goddard is apparently right in his ear. 🙂
Sharman might shock a few by delivering lace out passes into the goal zone from right up on a wing.
He seems to be a go to at training in disposing by foot off set plays.
He can find the leading space for a well placed kick to be delivered or take the ball in the air, we've seen this already and clearly, he wants that noticed on the training track.
I'd be surprised to see Sharman on a wing at AFL level anytime soon, agility is one of his biggest issues, unless he's on a lead and the ball is aimed at the bread basket he can't change course that quickly... like the titanic.

What Sharman excels at is leading to a ball that is accurately placed into space, however the problem is at the AFL level "space" is almost impossible to find close to goal.

It's why he looked like a rock star in his first few appearances in 2021, the opposition gave him incredible space to lead into, by the time 2022 came around there was a documented player analysis available to opposition clubs, hence it was easy for opposition coaches in 2022 to shut him down in his first 2 games by taking away his one wood.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 12:40pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 25 Jan 2023 11:18pm
loris wrote: Thu 19 Jan 2023 12:01am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 9:01pm
BradWA wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 7:09pm The other training subject was a blessing for us in the West to get a insite that was great reports etc
Then a few MUPPETS turned it into a pile of SHYT

Moderators need to sort to stop people hyjacking subjects
Great post.

I also predominately live interstate and love to read the training reports.

Please keep posting the guys & girls who get there and post.
I think this thread should be sans Vortex & Teflon .,,. They are just bloody boring & tedious.
Let’s keep it to footy Lori
No need for raking over hot coals like Johnny come lately
I feel the forum has really turned a corner of late..
Pardon Teflon? ‘Johnny come lately’???
If you note the date/time that I wrote that post. It was whilst you ‘offenders’ were still seeing who could ‘pee the furthest up the wall’. A week ago, even before I saw St Byron had timely stepped in & said enough is enough.

Yes I agree with you, it’s good to see the forum has turned the corner of late and posts are about footy without the baiting, sniping and ridiculous personal attacks. I trust it remains that way.

Oh & by the way I am in Western Australia, 3 hours behind the Eastern States. The Saintsational clock had just ticked one minute past midnight taking the date into 19 Jan just a few hours after D.B. Cooper had quoted BradWA’s post. Were they ‘Johnny come latelys’ bringing the issue up. Maybe they should be chipped at too.🤷
Apologies Lori I just hadn’t noticed you before.
Welcome to SS we are a fun loving family so stick around !

“Yeah….nah””
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saints TV summary of training today. Good summary.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

And from the AFL website.

Says that Caminiti was very impressive and quickly moved from the top up second string team to the stronger team at training.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/874726/rook ... p-deadline