Any News on our new List manager!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Any News on our new List manager!!

I can't wait to read all the expert opinions!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
shrodes
SS Life Member

SOS The Boss is list manager and Gubby is Head of Talent and Acquisition

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1265034/ ... ement-team

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Although it might look like jobs for the boys I don't mind SOS taking up the role, I think he can take a lot of credit for Carlton's current list.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 12:14pm Although it might look like jobs for the boys I don't mind SOS taking up the role, I think he can take a lot of credit for Carlton's current list.
Excellent appointments

Saint supporter since '62
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Boiler plated against "Hannebery" type decisions for a while. Thank goodness.
Might miss JG's SA insights though. James got us at least one beauty; and last two drafts seem to have been best for a decade or more. Big shoes to fill.
Wish them both well.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

SOS with the ultimate 4D chess move to get Stocker to the Saints.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
axcellence
Club Player

You know there are jobs for the boys... just have to look for them.

I am just writing off Bassat now. Just another in a long list of whatevers...

Pies stuffed up their list royally and the one good move was to get Craig McRae.

Saints did well to get Ross, but Silvagni is a liability.. if for nothing else that he might be under Ross's influence to pick ordinary players. There is no arms length separation now and Ross can dictate whatever he wants. Already Stocker being there is a joke. He'll be a flash in the pan at best. Carlton's list is nothing great given the high draft picks they've wasted. Stocker coming in after he couldn't hack it on the Blues list is nothing short of silly. Saints aren't in the top up mode, yet every game that Stocker gets is taking a game away from the development of other younger players. He's not a ruck top up where you can justify an older pickup a la Hayes.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Not a wrap for SOS
Think this was one position you needed to go hard after the best and a different perspective…

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 3:22pm You know there are jobs for the boys... just have to look for them.

Pies stuffed up their list royally and the one good move was to get Craig McRae.

Saints did well to get Ross, but Silvagni is a liability.. if for nothing else that he might be under Ross's influence to pick ordinary players. There is no arms length separation now and Ross can dictate whatever he wants. Already Stocker being there is a joke. He'll be a flash in the pan at best. Carlton's list is nothing great given the high draft picks they've wasted. Stocker coming in after he couldn't hack it on the Blues list is nothing short of silly. Saints aren't in the top up mode, yet every game that Stocker gets is taking a game away from the development of other younger players. He's not a ruck top up where you can justify an older pickup a la Hayes.
Jobs for mates. Was always a possibility with Ross the Boss.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I think some here are confusing List Management (ie: contracts, strategy, retention) with Recruiting (player talent identification, watching potential draftees) which is Chris Toce's area

It seemed SOS at Carlton oversaw the lot but not here at St Kilda he won't be as Gubby is Head of the whole lot

That's my take

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Sharing responsibility for List Management and Talent Acquisition between Stephen Silvagni and Graeme Allan seems to me like a very sensible way to go about managing these crucial roles.

St Kilda's off-field football management is now in the hands of one of the most experienced and highly credentialled group of people in the AFL.

Time will tell if the transformation at St Kilda results in sustained on-field success, I reckon it will.

'The Roar' had an article this week that highlighted 'team spirit' as one of the most important ingredients in a club's success, an element that has not been evident at St Kilda in recent years.

As I see it, the major overhaul by the Board in the past 3 months, going 'back to the future' by installing Ross Lyon as senior coach, assisted by former star players in Harvey, Hayes and Goddard, overseen by football supremo Geoff Walsh, plus today's appointments, is very much calculated to instilling pride in the RW&B in the minds of the players, at a level that has not been seen in years.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Seems a positive move to me. SOS is highly regarded and well-liked.

Just as long as Elshaug doesn't come back.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 6:55pm Seems a positive move to me. SOS is highly regarded and well-liked.

Just as long as Elshaug doesn't come back.
Wait for next weeks announcement. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Saintmike65
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 1:00pm Boiler plated against "Hannebery" type decisions for a while. Thank goodness.
Might miss JG's SA insights though. James got us at least one beauty; and last two drafts seem to have been best for a decade or more. Big shoes to fill.
Wish them both well.
Chris Toce got us the SA boys..he’s still part of the recruiting team.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the age.

"Peter Ryan

St Kilda have confirmed the appointment of Stephen Silvagni as their new list manager, rejoining his friend Ross Lyon at the Saints as the club continues to move back to the future.

Silvagni left Carlton at the end of 2019 after joining the Blues as list manager and was responsible for recruiting Jacob Weitering, Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay to the club in 2015.

He had served alongside Graeme Allan at the Giants as list manager from 2011 as the club established itself in the AFL.
Carlton legend Steve Silvagni has been appointed list manager at the Saints.

Allan will officially take on the talent and acquisition role at the Saints alongside Silvagni, having worked in a similar role in recent seasons with former list manager James Gallagher departing in December. Hawthorn great Jarryd Roughead and national recruiting manager Chris Toce are also part of the Saints’ recruiting team.

Silvagni’s appointment – which was widely expected within the AFL – will complete the transition at the Saints that also saw Lyon replace Brett Ratten as senior coach, Dave Misson return as conditioning coach, and Lenny Hayes and Robert Harvey join as assistant coaches. They also appointed experienced football boss Geoff Walsh after president Andrew Bassat conducted a review of the club.

Silvagni was an assistant coach at the club from 2007 to 2010 when they played in the 2009 and 2010 grand finals under Lyon.
Ross Lyon is back at St Kilda in his second stint as coach of the club.

Ross Lyon is back at St Kilda in his second stint as coach of the club.Credit:Getty Images

Saints CEO Simon Lethlean said the club was rapt to have such an experienced figure in the role.

“Stephen will be focused on developing the club’s overall list strategy, while supporting Graeme and the wider recruitment team with talent identification and acquisition as the club seeks to bolster and develop its list,” Lethlean said.

“Given the pair’s working history, I am certain they will be a great asset to the program, working closely with Chris Toce and Jarryd Roughead to continue to evolve the men’s list profile.

“St Kilda has seen significant change to its playing list over the past four years, and to ensure the program has every opportunity to succeed now and into the future, we need to continue to invest in our recruitment strategy with a focus on bringing in more elite talent, whether that be through trade or draft.”

The club just missed out on finals in the past two seasons, but sources suspect they will need at least two more years to get the list into shape to confidently contend for the club’s second premiership.

Meanwhile, the club had more bad news on the injury front with Matt Allison to be sidelined for an extended period with a foot injury. The 20-year-old will have surgery next week to correct a stress fracture in his left navicular bone. It is a blow for the Saints as Allison - who was pick 26 in the 2020 pre-season - has had a strong pre-season and looked set to make his debut in 2023."

Crossy66
Club Player

axcellence wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 3:22pm You know there are jobs for the boys... just have to look for them.

Harsh assessment on Stocker. How old do you think he is? Same draft and same school as Max, pick19, was a free hit as a SSP. Was invited to train and had to prove himself which the coaches obviously think he has. Quite likely one that didn't handle the covid lockdown well.
Was there someone that's free and available you had in mind?

axcellence
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 12:56pm
Harsh assessment on Stocker. How old do you think he is? Same draft and same school as Max, pick19, was a free hit as a SSP. Was invited to train and had to prove himself which the coaches obviously think he has. Quite likely one that didn't handle the covid lockdown well.
In the end, he got tested at Carlton and failed. 2022 was an year of no Covid lockdowns. He still couldn't make it and got delisted. I am all for taking someone from the lower leagues like Hayes. Stocker is a known quantity in not having a big enough tank. Any games he plays is taking away from another younger player, eg Bytel/Byrnes, etc

Crossy66
Club Player

If he gets a game, it's because he is ahead of them . What if he is better? Do we never recuit rookies who may or may not be better than what we got ever again? He has only been offered a list spot- no guarantee of games
What have either of Byrnes or Bytel done that makes them a better prospect?. Bytel probably got the reality check he needed when he tested the market last year anyway
His troubles at Carlton are known and the belief is with a fresh start he can become the player many believe he will be.
Btw, I love Bytel and think he could be a very good player, but it's up to him

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 3:11pm If he gets a game, it's because he is ahead of them . What if he is better? Do we never recuit rookies who may or may not be better than what we got ever again? He has only been offered a list spot- no guarantee of games
What have either of Byrnes or Bytel done that makes them a better prospect?. Bytel probably got the reality check he needed when he tested the market last year anyway
His troubles at Carlton are known and the belief is with a fresh start he can become the player many believe he will be.
I think Stoker was worth a go but I'd only give him this season to prove he belongs at the Elite level, he's had enough time in the system and he's got the proverbial, second and fresh chance at a new club, players with this development profile shouldn't get more than a year at a new club. Has to come in and be a solid B or A grade player immediately.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 2:16pm
In the end, he got tested at Carlton and failed. 2022 was an year of no Covid lockdowns. He still couldn't make it and got delisted. I am all for taking someone from the lower leagues like Hayes. Stocker is a known quantity in not having a big enough tank. Any games he plays is taking away from another younger player, eg Bytel/Byrnes, etc
Stokers sample size of 35 games is far in excess of anything Bytel or Byrnes has produced with their opportunities to-date, this is their final year at the club unless they can prove themselves very early on in the season.

Crossy66
Club Player

So what you are saying is Byrnes and Bytel are in their last year based on what they have done so far?
But let's not recruit a bloke for FREE cause he might be better and get a game ahead of them?
Remember- stocker has only been given an opportunity to win a spot, no guarantees. If he is no good he gets dropped off the list. Simples.

Crossy66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 3:26pm
Crossy66 wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 3:11pm If he gets a game, it's because he is ahead of them . What if he is better? Do we never recuit rookies who may or may not be better than what we got ever again? He has only been offered a list spot- no guarantee of games
I think Stoker was worth a go but I'd only give him this season to prove he belongs at the Elite level, he's had enough time in the system and he's got the proverbial, second and fresh chance at a new club, players with this development profile shouldn't get more than a year at a new club. Has to come in and be a solid B or A grade player immediately.
I am guessing you are smiling whilst typing this. Can you imagine the club delisting a kid that's not a grade or solid b immediately? But shows enough to become a solid a grader but not quite immediately I E say finals time?

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 3:29pm
axcellence wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 2:16pm
Stokers sample size of 35 games is far in excess of anything Bytel or Byrnes has produced with their opportunities to-date, this is their final year at the club unless they can prove themselves very early on in the season.
Why do you say that Bytel & Byrnes are in their final year at the club if they don’t perform? Do you have some decision making capacity at the club that we don’t know about? Please feel free to enlighten us?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.