Still at the club??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Still at the club??

Weidemann was the one we missed, would have cost very little. If we believe in prodigal sons, I suspect Josh Bruce will be going cheap at the end of 2023.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023 4:15pm
Killa wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023 12:40pm I am of the view that we were not too far off just a couple of years ago, but the loss of Carlisle, Ryder and Long from the side which won the first final v WB impacted, including in regards structure.

Remember Carlisle and Long got Brownlow votes when we beat Richmond during the season - and Ryder did not play.

In my view we have never successfully addressed the retirement of Carlisle and the unavailability of and now retirement of Ryder in regards structure.

So the supports for Howard and Marshall we still seek to identify, now from a bunch of kids with the physical attributes.

Then the support for King, which can be afforded by having support for Marshall.
The biggest stuff up we made during last year's trade period was not recruit Rory Lobb..

Even without losing King to injury it was a dumb decision and as soon as King became long term injured it became pure incompetence.

I'd be surprised if a key tall forward isn't our number one target at this year's trade period...and hopefully Walsh cans this ridiculous idea of recruiting Bing.
No the biggest mistake was not recruiting Max Gawn!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023 7:05pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023 4:15pm
Killa wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023 12:40pm I am of the view that we were not too far off just a couple of years ago, but the loss of Carlisle, Ryder and Long from the side which won the first final v WB impacted, including in regards structure.

Remember Carlisle and Long got Brownlow votes when we beat Richmond during the season - and Ryder did not play.

In my view we have never successfully addressed the retirement of Carlisle and the unavailability of and now retirement of Ryder in regards structure.

So the supports for Howard and Marshall we still seek to identify, now from a bunch of kids with the physical attributes.

Then the support for King, which can be afforded by having support for Marshall.
The biggest stuff up we made during last year's trade period was not recruit Rory Lobb..

Even without losing King to injury it was a dumb decision and as soon as King became long term injured it became pure incompetence.

I'd be surprised if a key tall forward isn't our number one target at this year's trade period...and hopefully Walsh cans this ridiculous idea of recruiting Bing.
No the biggest mistake was not recruiting Max Gawn!
He could have been handy too, we might find out how much we are going to miss Paddy too.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 8:19am Praise in public and persecute in private....management 101

Interesting Lyon tore a strip off a team member not only in front of other people, but in front of fans.

Luckily the guy is a psychologist and can give himself some counselling.
Tore a strip off? Autocratic?

He had told Lyon the data would be live and it wasn't when Lyon needed the live data. In effect Lyon told him that there'd been a stuff up in communication and the live data issue needed to be fixed. Simple and straight forward. Would you think a letter from HR and a meeting was more appropriate?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 4:05pm It’s always silly when people try equate management theory to footy clubs
They aren’t the same thing and anyone whose been in one knows that (I’m not talking middle manager plebs pretending to be CEO of 2 men and a dog company on LinkedIn)
I don’t think Allistair Clarkson or Ross for that matter has read Jack Welch (maybe they have….the ole 10% bell curve might be how we push a few spuds out..)
I do think they know what success looks like
Leigh Matthews ….can’t see him at Google anytime soon…
Knew how to drive a group of professional footballers
Anyhoo I think it’s good to let the troops know every now and again we’re not always gonna sing kumbaya…
I agree...I was chatting with someone about this at Christmas. My daughter travelled with a theatre play in USA & Europe...it was like footy not business. They had a director who was like god...all over everything for 6 mths leading up to opening night...from planning to weekly meeting to daily meetings to meetings every 2 hrs over a 16 hr day the two weeks before opening.

I went to see her and dude was telling the sound guy to get farked whilst ripping into some girl who was doing something in the flipping ceiling?! I sat down quickly. Then 2.6 nanoseconds later hes talking nice to actors then pointing and some other guy comes out of shadows and starts running the dancers like hes the director. Then the director sat down right next to me ( I didnt realise I HAD sat next to his seat). He sat quietly watching all the activity and doing stuff on his laptop then he lept up and ripped more heads off. When they finished the director had everyone laughing & they were planning where to go eat....which was unreal food.

In business its just not that way. But sport clubs seem alot like that theatrical play. Working hard for months until the season starts with many working parts and its night after night so no time to sit back & reassess before marching on...like the season...week after week...no time to get offended...its not THAT personal its frenzied but structured because d-day cometh...and millions of millions is on the line over a 3 hr performance

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 10:33pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 8:19am Praise in public and persecute in private....management 101

Interesting Lyon tore a strip off a team member not only in front of other people, but in front of fans.

Luckily the guy is a psychologist and can give himself some counselling.
Tore a strip off? Autocratic?

He had told Lyon the data would be live and it wasn't when Lyon needed the live data. In effect Lyon told him that there'd been a stuff up in communication and the live data issue needed to be fixed. Simple and straight forward. Would you think a letter from HR and a meeting was more appropriate?
Straight up I'm not a fan of "human resources", it's a great way to stuff any organisation and so there's that, I tend to setup org structures that share the responsibility of managing staff, notice I avoided the term "human resources"

If the context was Ross becoming frustrated at repeatedly being let down by set tasks not being accomplished as agreed, and the "agreed" component of effective delegation is very important, then yes, feedback is warranted, but the way Ross provided feedback is almost the incorrect way and can create wider problems for Ross's and the management of staff across whole organisation.

Moreover if I was Ross's supervisor I would have mentored him on better ways to provide feedback.

Groovy Guru
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 9:00am
Straight up I'm not a fan of "human resources", it's a great way to stuff any organisation and so there's that, I tend to setup org structures that share the responsibility of managing staff, notice I avoided the term "human resources"

If the context was Ross becoming frustrated at repeatedly being let down by set tasks not being accomplished as agreed, and the "agreed" component of effective delegation is very important, then yes, feedback is warranted, but the way Ross provided feedback is almost the incorrect way and can create wider problems for Ross's and the management of staff across whole organisation.

Moreover if I was Ross's supervisor I would have mentored him on better ways to provide feedback.
So you were there and witnessed the interaction first hand.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 9:00am Straight up I'm not a fan of "human resources", it's a great way to stuff any organisation and so there's that, I tend to setup org structures that share the responsibility of managing staff, notice I avoided the term "human resources"
Now there is an astute way of ensuring staff have no avenue to avoiding accountability and to alleviate the confusion of potential mixed messages.

Great stuff!

Perhaps you should take this idea down to the club and discuss it with Basset & Ross.

Might be almost as well received as your clever and insightful marketing ideas the club contracted you to implement during Covid.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Groovy Guru wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 9:44am

Was given a detailed account of the interaction by CQ Saint who claims he was standing in earshot. So if all the facts are accurate as described by CQ Saint then even more the need to mentor Ross about how to give staff feedback, first part of the conversation for mine would go something like, "hey Rossy, you should try and avoid tearing strips off staff in front of other people, especially when some of the people are the general public and/or media representatives". And then remind Ross about the impact to his image if any of his outbursts are relayed on social media and how the media are just waiting to pounce on old cranky hard to get along with Ross.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 10:10am
Vortex wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 9:00am Straight up I'm not a fan of "human resources", it's a great way to stuff any organisation and so there's that, I tend to setup org structures that share the responsibility of managing staff, notice I avoided the term "human resources"
Now there is an astute way of ensuring staff have no avenue to avoiding accountability and to alleviate the confusion of potential mixed messages.

Great stuff!

Perhaps you should take this idea down to the club and discuss it with Basset & Ross.

Might be almost as well received as your clever and insightful marketing ideas the club contracted you to implement during Covid.
Granted the idea wouldn't work for a trucking company where generally the skill level of management and staff is very low and generally containing criminal types.

in those types of cultures it's difficult to assign the type of responsibility I require because I build and maintain cultures where you never assign responsibility WITHOUT accountability. Has worked very successfully for me.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 11:55am

Great stuff!

Granted the idea wouldn't work for a trucking company where generally the skill level of management and staff is very low and generally containing criminal types.

in those types of cultures it's difficult to assign the type of responsibility I require because I build and maintain cultures where you never assign responsibility WITHOUT accountability. Has worked very successfully for me.
Another extremely insightful post. :roll: :roll: :roll:

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Great stuff!

Perhaps you should renounce your consultancy contract with Linfox and Toll 👍

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
happy feet
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 1:13pm

Great stuff!

Perhaps you should renounce your consultancy contract with Linfox and Toll 👍
Vortex is probably going to have a heart attack with this, but I agree with him 100% on HR. In my 43 years of my working career I have only come across one decent HR Manager. The rest were the most useless or divisive mob I have ever come across and just stuffed up organisations. Sure have good HR policies and practices but make the managers manage and keep HR out of it.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 11:44am

Was given a detailed account of the interaction by CQ Saint who claims he was standing in earshot. So if all the facts are accurate as described by CQ Saint then even more the need to mentor Ross about how to give staff feedback, first part of the conversation for mine would go something like, "hey Rossy, you should try and avoid tearing strips off staff in front of other people, especially when some of the people are the general public and/or media representatives". And then remind Ross about the impact to his image if any of his outbursts are relayed on social media and how the media are just waiting to pounce on old cranky hard to get along with Ross.
My God. It's a footy club, not an office. True certain practices remain out of bounds such as bullying, racist/sexist remarks, but apart from that it's almost completely different and everyone who works in one would understand that. It's a dynamic robust environment and Saint Lee's post and description of what he observed in the theatre is almost 100% spot on as far as I can tell. If the physiologist (not psychologist) was hurt by the direct feedback then a footy club is not for him. All Ross said was basically , I have been given incorrect information as to what this program can do, we need to sort it out. Hardly a 'you useless IT f***wit, if you can't do this job I'll find someone who can' type comment. Mentoring Ross on his feedback you may receive some direct feedback yourself......

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 5:11am
Vortex wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 11:44am

My God. It's a footy club, not an office. True certain practices remain out of bounds such as bullying, racist/sexist remarks, but apart from that it's almost completely different and everyone who works in one would understand that. It's a dynamic robust environment and Saint Lee's post and description of what he observed in the theatre is almost 100% spot on as far as I can tell. If the physiologist (not psychologist) was hurt by the direct feedback then a footy club is not for him. All Ross said was basically , I have been given incorrect information as to what this program can do, we need to sort it out. Hardly a 'you useless IT f***wit, if you can't do this job I'll find someone who can' type comment. Mentoring Ross on his feedback you may receive some direct feedback yourself......
Yeah pretty certain my views on the specif type of management in tbat scenario would be widely agreed with, meaning people who have suuçess with man management 5hst is. I think even primary school kids would at least wait until the fans aren't in ear shot.