Still at the club??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Still at the club??

Are the following people still employed by StK

Roughead - haven’t seen him at all in the pre season, last season he was at all sessions

Gubby Allen - I get him and Walsh mixed up?! Think I saw Walsh today, but haven’t seen Allen since last season

O’Shaughnessy - Still at StK?
Another guy on the laptop today - looked like a young fella doing work experience

Rath - haven’t seen him either? He was always there last season

Saintmike65
Club Player

Re: Still at the club??

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Jan 2023 3:05pm Are the following people still employed by StK

Roughead - haven’t seen him at all in the pre season, last season he was at all sessions

Gubby Allen - I get him and Walsh mixed up?! Think I saw Walsh today, but haven’t seen Allen since last season

Another guy on the laptop today - looked like a young fella doing work experience

Roughy is on list management side of things, Gubby Allen helps out part time with recruiting, I think mainly as an advisor.
Rath is on strategy & had been working with Max on goal kicking.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Jan 2023 3:05pm Are the following people still employed by StK

I think the young guy on the laptop is a sports physiologist.
Lyon gave him a serve when he said what he was tracking during training was live and Ross asked for a result and old mate needed to do an equation before he could give the result. Lyon said 'you told me its live, its not, we need to get that sorted out.

While Lyon doesn't close his mind, he knows how to achieve fitness and doesn't care about the collateral damage to egos along the way.

No witchdoctors, voodoo men or theorist necessary. The work will be done.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 11:30am

I think the young guy on the laptop is a sports physiologist.
Lyon gave him a serve when he said what he was tracking during training was live and Ross asked for a result and old mate needed to do an equation before he could give the result. Lyon said 'you told me its live, its not, we need to get that sorted out.

While Lyon doesn't close his mind, he knows how to achieve fitness and doesn't care about the collateral damage to egos along the way.

Sounds like Ross still is a fairly autocratic type of manager from that observation, apparently that's what we need as club huh?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Jan 2023 3:05pm ….

Lyon gave him a serve,….
‘you told me its live, its not, we need to get that sorted out.’
….
Scary stuff.
But we think good.
Yes, I remember that when I was young (Getting such a serve) My brain put that kind of treatment into the, ‘watch out that guy is a grizzly old prick with issues’ box.

But I was stinging, for one, pride, but also because I felt I was being ‘found out’ for giving off the affectation that I had the ‘new s***’ and that I am ‘aware’, and the old guard has to go, and they know it!!

Well I didn’t set the world on fire..not yet.

So now I am feeling ‘f… yeah’. This is want we want!! That will serve as a warning! Of course, a ‘reign of terror’ has its limits..ask Hawthorn, ask Justin Langer..and Caro and Damo will let us know about it!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

From the time Richo came, there was a feeling that this wasn't the real deal and that the transition from Lyon was still happening, maybe that was just Riewoldt and Co.
But definitely since Riewoldt retired we have lacked leadership.
There won't be room for any factions under Ross Lyon. He is all over everything.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt and Co. couldn't focus on winning games of footy because they were driving for far too long to get to training

The distance to the unfamiliar suburb of Seaford was affecting their focus. As well as the fact that there weren't any trendy coffee shops nearby

On a serious note, succession planning for a handover of leadership was poor during the last few years of Riewoldt's captaincy

I'd rather have a strong group of leaders rather than a single dominant figure... otherwise there's a risk of a leadership vacuum instead of a smooth transition

Same with the coaching group. If Lyon is 'over everything' it means people like BJ and Lenny aren't prepared if it's time for change. They need to practise making important decisions

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 2:16am Riewoldt and Co. couldn't focus on winning games of footy because they were driving for far too long to get to training

The distance to the unfamiliar suburb of Seaford was affecting their focus. As well as the fact that there weren't any trendy coffee shops nearby

On a serious note, succession planning for a handover of leadership was poor during the last few years of Riewoldt's captaincy

I'd rather have a strong group of leaders rather than a single dominant figure... otherwise there's a risk of a leadership vacuum instead of a smooth transition

Same with the coaching group. If Lyon is 'over everything' it means people like BJ and Lenny aren't prepared if it's time for change. They need to practise making important decisions

You mean you weren't a fan of Mav Weller, Newnes, I don’t wanna talk or be in charge Steven, Ross and Geary?
Nothing wrong with parameters. Its not like these blokes don't trust each other.
Hayes, Harvey and Goddard earnt their respect, so did the cat from Geelong.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Praise in public and persecute in private....management 101

Interesting Lyon tore a strip off a team member not only in front of other people, but in front of fans.

Luckily the guy is a psychologist and can give himself some counselling.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It’s always silly when people try equate management theory to footy clubs
They aren’t the same thing and anyone whose been in one knows that (I’m not talking middle manager plebs pretending to be CEO of 2 men and a dog company on LinkedIn)
I don’t think Allistair Clarkson or Ross for that matter has read Jack Welch (maybe they have….the ole 10% bell curve might be how we push a few spuds out..)
I do think they know what success looks like
Leigh Matthews ….can’t see him at Google anytime soon…
Knew how to drive a group of professional footballers
Anyhoo I think it’s good to let the troops know every now and again we’re not always gonna sing kumbaya…

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Jarryn Geary - excellent captain

Some who played under both, preferred him to Riewoldt

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 4:28pm Jarryn Geary - excellent captain

Yeah. Led from 5 goals behind. Wasn't his fault.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Think I'd prefer Riewoldt

B.M
Saintsational Legend

You didn’t play under either

Riewoldt a legend of the club - but single minded

Geary a wonderful leader, universally respected

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yeah ok …that’s up there with some of your best work..
Look I’m not gonna argue as I’m not sure I know what to say.
I’m glad you like “good blokes”
I’m taking Riewoldt thanks

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 6:10pm You didn’t play under either

Sorry. I forgot you did. Oh no, you read it somewhere, or heard it from someone who did.

Geary Richo and Ratts. A bridge over troubled waters. F*** me.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 6:20pm
B.M wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 6:10pm You didn’t play under either

Sorry. I forgot you did. Oh no, you read it somewhere, or heard it from someone who did.

Geary Richo and Ratts. A bridge over troubled waters. F*** me.
It’s hard work CQ

“Yeah….nah””
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

=

Awesome. If we continue with the synchronised breathing and on-field mediatation I'll be very surprised and disappointed.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 6:56pm

=

Awesome. If we continue with the synchronised breathing and on-field mediatation I'll be very surprised and disappointed.
8-)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If we were winning GFs

It’d be a master stroke - everyone equates winning to best practice

I equate winning to best teams

I’d like anyone on here to suggest which team since 2012 we had was a serious top 4 contender?
Name one year where we pretty much didn’t finish where expected?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 8:07pm If we were winning GFs

It’d be a master stroke - everyone equates winning to best practice

I equate winning to best teams

I’d like anyone on here to suggest which team since 2012 we had was a serious top 4 contender?
Name one year where we pretty much didn’t finish where expected?
I’m not sure genuinely what this post is answering or addressing but will say this….
If you’re not in the business to win GFs you are wasting your time
We have been nowhere near threatening a GF for over a decade (last guy…that Lyon fella)
Anyhoo point being your recruitment strategy, coaching abd development all through to Board need to be in alignment on:

1. Where you’re really at as a club
2. What you need to challenge - contend
3, Gap - how you intend to bridge it

If you’re footy Dept tells your Board you are “in the window” when you are not and your recruitment team top up in alignment with this and the Board buy the farm….you’re entire organisation is out of kilter …

That’s where we’ve been from Richo to Ratten days

We are like an addict that’s finally realised we need to get off the gear, sober up and take steps to get back on track.

It’s only taken 11 years ….

“Yeah….nah””
guitars4
Club Player

No disrespect to Geary but I think Riewoldt would be a lot more demanding of players hence players might like him more but very different players in very different teams . I respect both but IMO only Riewoldt is streets ahead .

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Eyre??

Killa
Club Player

I am of the view that we were not too far off just a couple of years ago, but the loss of Carlisle, Ryder and Long from the side which won the first final v WB impacted, including in regards structure.

Remember Carlisle and Long got Brownlow votes when we beat Richmond during the season - and Ryder did not play.

In my view we have never successfully addressed the retirement of Carlisle and the unavailability of and now retirement of Ryder in regards structure.

So the supports for Howard and Marshall we still seek to identify, now from a bunch of kids with the physical attributes.

Then the support for King, which can be afforded by having support for Marshall.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023 12:40pm I am of the view that we were not too far off just a couple of years ago, but the loss of Carlisle, Ryder and Long from the side which won the first final v WB impacted, including in regards structure.

Remember Carlisle and Long got Brownlow votes when we beat Richmond during the season - and Ryder did not play.

In my view we have never successfully addressed the retirement of Carlisle and the unavailability of and now retirement of Ryder in regards structure.

So the supports for Howard and Marshall we still seek to identify, now from a bunch of kids with the physical attributes.

Then the support for King, which can be afforded by having support for Marshall.
The biggest stuff up we made during last year's trade period was not recruit Rory Lobb..

Even without losing King to injury it was a dumb decision and as soon as King became long term injured it became pure incompetence.

I'd be surprised if a key tall forward isn't our number one target at this year's trade period...and hopefully Walsh cans this ridiculous idea of recruiting Bing.