TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

Vortex wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 11:04am
Templar wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 10:44am Stack is still available. Can play forward too. Definite[y knows were the goals sre.
I agree, the risk is worth it, worse case we have to sack him if he stuffs up, desperate times calls for desperate measures. Just grab whatever goal kicking resources there available and stuff the do gooders.
Can't agree with this philosophy.
Small forwards are not our issue, and bringing in a loose cannon is not what the squad needs.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 11:18am
Vortex wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 11:04am
Templar wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 10:44am Stack is still available. Can play forward too. Definite[y knows were the goals sre.
I agree, the risk is worth it, worse case we have to sack him if he stuffs up, desperate times calls for desperate measures. Just grab whatever goal kicking resources there available and stuff the do gooders.
Can't agree with this philosophy.
Small forwards are not our issue, and bringing in a loose cannon is not what the squad needs.
He's not a small forward, he's a goal kicking utility so would be hand as a stop-gap whilst the walking wounded from the forward line do their rehab and then could be a handy inclusion in the midfield and possibly a good replacement for Billings and Buttler.

Rizz64

Stack isn't coming. He wants to play WAFL, that's his decision

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wtf is a utility forward?

Is this the 70s??

He’s 181cm small defender/small forward who can also go through the middle

He Is trouble

Freebird
Club Player

Vortex, what a poor miserable person you are..
Get a life and try spending it anywhere but here.

FFS what kind of a person spends most of their time on a forum with negative/stupid comments for laughs

Templar
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 2:58pm He Is trouble
What happened to your philosophy from last year? Quoting you here:

Take emotion out of it

Is he a player that will improve the list?

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Rizz64 wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 2:37pm Stack isn't coming. He wants to play WAFL, that's his decision
Excellent decision on his behalf.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 2:58pm Wtf is a utility forward?

Is this the 70s??

He’s 181cm small defender/small forward who can also go through the middle

He Is trouble
More than Ben Cousins?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 4:26pm
Rizz64 wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 2:37pm Stack isn't coming. He wants to play WAFL, that's his decision
Excellent decision on his behalf.
Do think he decided against us because we are rebuilding and wanted to play finals?

Templar
Club Player

If true his manager has probably advised to do a solid year wafl, keep out of trouble, and get a big dollar contract next year. Blows out the odds for landing at Saints. I will shut up about him now. Thought it was a good opportunity to get in some class.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Saints58
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 12:30am Better tell Lyon (and the new list manager) that we are rebuilding

It may surprise them
Who is going to be the new list manager no to Trout please please there has to be someone better
I know he is a good mate of ross but he really stuffed us up last time.

Saints58
Club Player

Didn't stack have another run in with the WA police over the Christmas break its not the first time and not the last we don't need all the aggravation go with stocker and Eire they will get 1 year contracts and are not disruptive players.
Just imagine if we get stack and he goes off the rails while at the saints the site would go crazy and everyone would say typical saints bla bla bla lets not put our selves in that saturation.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 9:54am
Teflon wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 9:41am
Vortex wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 7:17am
B.M wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 12:30am Better tell Lyon (and the new list manager) that we are rebuilding

It may surprise them
The 'R' word will only become official after Bassett engages some external consultants to give him a report. The announcement will start with, "I told you we had to go backwards".

Hopefully we defy the odds and at least hold a middle ladder position.
No one I read (with half a brain) is tipping we play finals??
All I read (with a modicum of footy nous) expect us mid table or taking a step backwards to go forward with a new coach/game plan etc
It’s only those with some weird hatred for corporate Australia and consultants that keep sticking the knives into Bassat/club.
Again, do you think Bassatt and Board erred in sacking cuddles and replacing him with Lyon??
I mean….if we are going to run the same troll argument it’s only fair we ask you the question again…
Teffers as you know I love the slap N tickle but try and keep this thread for footy and training discussions.

What are your thoughts on this 3 second rule we've been training and our current skill level, any concerns?
Skill concerns to be execute is a given
We’ll be horrible at times this year turning it over as players adapt but as many on BF (good site, generally knowledgeable footy folk there I must say..) have noted we’ll go through that to get the skilled players and game plan right
I don’t expect finals abd not the eve of the world as long as we can see it coming together/some kids genuinely coming on
It’s about top 4 future for mine and getting the pieces in place to be a serious contender

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 10:09am
B.M wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 10:00am I think we can play finals.

And I’d rather that and go watch 12-13 wins this season than ‘go backwards’ and win 6-8.

Good run with injury and there is no reason why we can’t compete strongly.

We won 11 last season - with what you say was a terrible coach. Therefore, if I listen to experts on here who think the coach is the No1 driver for success - we should win 15 and be top 4.
Especially since our new coach is RTB - the best non premiership coach ever!!!
Err. Yeah, nah.
Agree nah…
Abs only Ross haters are the ones trying to suggest some think it’s all coaching as the success driver ….these same people try to tell us all coaches are the same and don’t do much …
More cheap shots…

“Yeah….nah””
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Out of interest would it possible for someone to post a report about training. This thread seems to have gone off on various tangents that aren't related to the thread’s purpose: thanks in advance

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 5:36pm Didn't stack have another run in with the WA police over the Christmas break its not the first time and not the last we don't need all the aggravation go with stocker and Eire they will get 1 year contracts and are not disruptive players.
Just imagine if we get stack and he goes off the rails while at the saints the site would go crazy and everyone would say typical saints bla bla bla lets not put our selves in that saturation.
yep.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Teffers

Is the coach the determinant of team success?

Was Ratten a poor coach?

Did his team win 11 games?

Is Ross a great coach?

If so, then shouldn’t he win more games??

That seems to be the logic?!

Simon Templar
Club Player

What time is training at Moorabin tomorrow, please? Visiting from country....

Go you good things....!!!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 6:10pm Out of interest would it possible for someone to post a report about training. This thread seems to have gone off on various tangents that aren't related to the thread’s purpose: thanks in advance
100% agree. It appears there's a few that want their opinions on their beliefs / results from training to be acknowledged. Let's leave this as training observations & perhaps begin a thread with questions about those observations.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Hmm. Interesting.

Reckon some need to walk the talk. If I recall correctly, derailing threads with their own squabbles and with BM, none the less.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saintmike65
Club Player

Simon Templar wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 6:26pm What time is training at Moorabin tomorrow, please? Visiting from country....
Training is Monday, Wednesday & Friday around 9-9.30 start time

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023 6:24pm Teffers

Is the coach the determinant of team success?

Was Ratten a poor coach?

Did his team win 11 games?

Is Ross a great coach?

If so, then shouldn’t he win more games??

That seems to be the logic?!
Not going over this again it’s a Training report thread
PM I can easily ignore you there also to keep board clear of theoretical rubbish.

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

From a guy over on B F.

"Training Report, Friday 20th January, 2023

Popped down to training this morning for the first time this pre-season. As others have previously stated, training looks a lot more organised than anything i had seen over the last 5-6 years. The names of drills were displayed on the electric scoreboard with a timer counting down (very organised & professional). The assistant coaches all run the drills with RTB looking on from the distance, only getting involved if he wants to provide direct one-on-one/one-on-two feedback to someone after a drill has been completed.

General observations:

Mason Wood was running laps while the others were doing drills, and didn't participate in any drills or match sim.

Billings was also absent, and I saw him walking back from the Danny Frawley Centre with what must have been a physio.

Coffield, Battle & Jones back with main group and completed all the drills and then sat out the match sim. Looks like they are being managed.

A lot of love between Nas & Hill. I'm still worried that Nas will head back to SA at the end of the year though.

Max Health is big unit (height wise) but physically he is no where near ready to play AFL. I'd say he's at least another two years away from being ready. Couldn't get near it against Marshall in the ruck contests, and keeping in mind Marshall isn't the most physical ruckman out there.

Peris is a good runner, but his foot skills just aren't up to it (yet).

The boys all look like they've all trimmed down. It's obvious that this is deliberate given RTB's comments about becoming a running side.
I also got the impression that the focus is on method rather than skill acquisition at the moment, as some of the skills were pretty average if I'm being honest. Having said that, Hill's skills are exquisite, and he is just a running machine.

Came home to see that Stocker had been signed. A bit surprised as I'm not sure where he will play and whether we need his type. It seemed from the drills that he has been earmarked as a defender as he didn't participate in any of the midfield drills. He didn't do anything bad, it's that he didn't do anything particularly good either.

Mitch Owens is beast. Has really filled out and is a really physically imposing. Played mainly as a forward and threw himself at packs. Got his hands to quite a few but has a tendency to drop marks. Maybe his role id to split packs open, bring the ball to ground and then let Gresh, Higgins & Butler get to work?

Windy is one absolute specimen of a human. Will be a future captain, and already has great leadership attributes, even for a second year player.

The other interesting thing I noticed was that during match sim, RTB would often stop play, and ask that the ball be thrown in from the boundary. Seemed like they are practicing moving the ball from stoppages.

There was another kid training (wearing jumper number 41). Not sure who it was. Built similar to Hunter Clarke but maybe a fraction taller.

The ruck situation is a worry. Realistically, we only have Marshall as a genuine ruckman at the moment. As mentioned earlier, Heath is just not ready yet. I think we should use our second lists spot t find a back up ruckman. Paddy Ryder is not the craziest of ideas (just get him in to play 8-10 games) or even someone like a Ben McEvoy (as back up for 8-10 games if needed)."

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The guy he didn't recognise is McLennan

Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 20 Jan 2023 12:47pm From a guy over on B F.

The ruck situation is a worry. Realistically, we only have Marshall as a genuine ruckman at the moment. As mentioned earlier, Heath is just not ready yet. I think we should use our second lists spot t find a back up ruckman. Paddy Ryder is not the craziest of ideas (just get him in to play 8-10 games) or even someone like a Ben McEvoy (as back up for 8-10 games if needed)."
That's not at all a bad idea, it's what occurs in a lot of other footbal codes, where if a key position player is injured they bring in someone from outside the club to fill the void until said player becomes available again. In the EPL and other European football comps clubs often will lease out a player who can't get a game to another team for specified periods.

If St Kilda decided to bring in either Ryder or McEvoy as a quick fix could they be rookie-listed??

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist