TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

Thought we could keep all Pre-Season Training Report discussion in this thread

From BigFooty below (by Longmembrey) - Monday 9 January

* Windy and Crouch looked lean and super-fit
*Hunts bigger but still not muscular
*Steele didn't do much & had the fluoro cap
*Gresh, Billings, Dmac, Hayes, Battle, mostly ran laps. Hayes endurance was particularly impressive
*Didn't spot Keeler at all
*NWM looked good, maybe taller and heavier too
*Overall training (imo, compared to recent years) looked WAY more professional with clear objectives and plenty of match sim. Coaches were all spread out and watching VERY closely. I've felt previously just stood in their own huddle and talked smack and jokes around (Lade & Ratts mostly)
*R Harvey surprised me with his voice and forthright instructions
*Seb Ross very vocal, stopped a drill he wasn't happy with and demanded better from the young team mates he was grouped with.
*RTB lurked in the forward pocket during match sim and gave instructions 1:1 at every opportunity.
*Phillipou has a bad habit of taking simple marks on his chest, instead of out front. Bit weird
*R Harvey is the most reliable kick at the club and you cannot change my mind
*Windy - the hype looks real
*Trained what they call the "3 second rule" ie you have 3 seconds to dispose of the ball after a mark, etc. We are obviously trying to be more ballistic and unpredictable with the ball instead of holding it.up letting the opponent set up. Hope Membrey was paying attention

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

Devilhead wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 5:04pm Thought we could keep all Pre-Season Training Report discussion in this thread

From BigFooty below (by Longmembrey) - Monday 9 January

* Windy and Crouch looked lean and super-fit
*Hunts bigger but still not muscular
*Steele didn't do much & had the fluoro cap
*Gresh, Billings, Dmac, Hayes, Battle, mostly ran laps. Hayes endurance was particularly impressive
*Didn't spot Keeler at all
*NWM looked good, maybe taller and heavier too
*Overall training (imo, compared to recent years) looked WAY more professional with clear objectives and plenty of match sim. Coaches were all spread out and watching VERY closely. I've felt previously just stood in their own huddle and talked smack and jokes around (Lade & Ratts mostly)
*R Harvey surprised me with his voice and forthright instructions

*Seb Ross very vocal, stopped a drill he wasn't happy with and demanded better from the young team mates he was grouped with.
*RTB lurked in the forward pocket during match sim and gave instructions 1:1 at every opportunity.
*Phillipou has a bad habit of taking simple marks on his chest, instead of out front. Bit weird
*R Harvey is the most reliable kick at the club and you cannot change my mind
*Windy - the hype looks real
*Trained what they call the "3 second rule" ie you have 3 seconds to dispose of the ball after a mark, etc. We are obviously trying to be more ballistic and unpredictable with the ball instead of holding it.up letting the opponent set up. Hope Membrey was paying attention
Thought highlighted bit was interesting for those that argue coach makes zero difference…suspect that’s utter garbage

“Yeah….nah””
Saintmike65
Club Player

There is a lot of positivity around training, with strong emphasis on quick ball movement most evident.
However, we have a number of players that will be behind the 8 ball early doors with delayed preparations.
The good news is there’s still plenty of time for round 1 and the only certainty not to play is King.
Training is really well organised, as you’d expect from the boss.
It’s obviously meticulously planned, with the assistant coaches & development coaches all having major input.
Players that I would earmark for improvement would be Windhager, Owens, Hill, Sharman, NWM, Bytel, Allison, Marshall, Higgins, Peris.
How much this equates to win/loss, time will tell!!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Mike - great stuff!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 8:54pm There is a lot of positivity around training, with strong emphasis on quick ball movement most evident.
However, we have a number of players that will be behind the 8 ball early doors with delayed preparations.
The good news is there’s still plenty of time for round 1 and the only certainty not to play is King.
It’s obviously meticulously planned, with the assistant coaches & development coaches all having major input.
Players that I would earmark for improvement would be Windhager, Owens, Hill, Sharman, NWM, Bytel, Allison, Marshall, Higgins, Peris.
Great news to hear Mike thank you abd awesome to hear the training has clearly stepped up on last year (god knows it had to) good coach will drive that and Lyon knows hard work …works.

“Yeah….nah””
bergsone
SS Life Member

Thanks for that report,all sounds good

Killa
Club Player

The question is, if our preparation was so poor heading into the 2022 Season, and everything was a joke, how did we manage to win 8 of our first 11 matches before injuries and the shallowness of our List impacted?

How did the likes of Higgins (as one) burst from the blocks in All Australian form before concussions impacted?

I would expect that training is focussed, as it is at every Club every year

It is January 9

What is the old saying about March premiers?

We trust we can get to 8-3 again - have a better run with injuries AND evidence more depth across our List because of the continuing development of our youth (and particularly those with some height)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 11:22pm The question is, if our preparation was so poor heading into the 2022 Season, and everything was a joke, how did we manage to win 8 of our first 11 matches before injuries and the shallowness of our List impacted?

You have left out that:
* Our first have fixture was easier than the second half fixture
*That Max King started the year really well, so opposition coaches no longer played him one on one. With the lack of leading his effectiveness was reduced somewhat with one guy bumping him, with another guy or two to mop up the ball
* Max got the yips in front of goal* Our stop and go game plan just became easier and easier to combat

And then the biggie...our players just did not work hard enough and went missing way too often. Now was this the coaching team losing the playing group, or just that we had very poor cattle. 2023 will be revealung on this question.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 11:34pm
Killa wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 11:22pm The question is, if our preparation was so poor heading into the 2022 Season, and everything was a joke, how did we manage to win 8 of our first 11 matches before injuries and the shallowness of our List impacted?

You have left out that:
* Our first have fixture was easier than the second half fixture
*That Max King started the year really well, so opposition coaches no longer played him one on one. With the lack of leading his effectiveness was reduced somewhat with one guy bumping him, with another guy or two to mop up the ball
* Max got the yips in front of goal* Our stop and go game plan just became easier and easier to combat

And then the biggie...our players just did not work hard enough and went missing way too often. Now was this the coaching team losing the playing group, or just that we had very poor cattle. 2023 will be revealung on this question.
Thank you.

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Interesting. I read in another report that Nas looks taller, has gained weight and looks to be running off half back in training drills.

Surely not.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 2:28am Interesting. I read in another report that Nas looks taller, has gained weight and looks to be running off half back in training drills.

Surely not.

yes, looks like a move to the HB line

Saintmike65
Club Player

How did the likes of Higgins (as one) burst from the blocks in All Australian form before concussions impacted?

I would expect that training is focussed, as it is at every Club every year

It is January 9

What is the old saying about March premiers?

We trust we can get to 8-3 again - have a better run with injuries AND evidence more depth across our List because of the continuing development of our youth (and particularly those with some height)
There was plenty of positivity this time last year, we were fit, Higgins was in great shape but lost that after his concussion issues.
The difference is training is well organised with a purpose..there is now an emphasis on quick ball movement & run.
Also strategic set ups for centre bounces which I didn’t see last year.

Players will now be more accountable, that I’m sure of!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 8:28am

Can you put some meat on the bone?

Can you describe the comparison in strategies? What does RLs CB set-ups look ike and how do they compare to Ratts?

You say you didn't see Ratts employ any CB set-ups it, so it would fascinating to know specifics and why you think the set-ups will perform better? Do you see similarities to other teams CB set-ups?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that Ratten didn’t have CB structures

Considering he was an elite CB player in his career

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 9:53am Interesting that Ratten didn’t have CB structures

Considering he was an elite CB player in his career
He didn't have that fat guts either. But he has it now. Something changed, I guess.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Exactly. Obviously some posters are blinded by their messiah complex and leave common sense at their front door when venturing out into the real world.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 10:16am

Exactly. Obviously some posters are blinded by their messiah complex and leave common sense at their front door when venturing out into the real world.
This 8-3 Albatros has got to cut free, slain and barbequed for once and for all.

For heaven's sake Saints fans!

Stop it.

Next time you are having a barbecue. cook eight sausages cut three lemons and say 'good riddance'.

It will bring misery to everyone if you keep building it up and comparing it. Leave that to the media trolls.

It brought misery t o Ratts too.

That 8-3 run contained wins against a depleted and underdone Tigers, a very raw Hawthorn, Adelade on the rocks, and a North team and club that were destitute.

Down hill skiing hype!!!!

Don't get sucked in.

Time to move on.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Geelong?

Freo in WA?

How was your commentary going into r12 last season

I remember everyone being pretty c**k a hoop!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Mon 09 Jan 2023 8:54pm There is a lot of positivity around training, with strong emphasis on quick ball movement most evident.
Thanks again Mike - your reviews are a refreshing change.

Im interesting in what you have seen in Allison?

It seems to me with his athleticism in the past he has been a preseason tease? He looks great on the training track but as soon as the contested stuff with oppositions arrive he is found wanting. Hopefully he has found some belief/maturity and can start physically impacting games? In previous years he seems to run around like a player that doesnt know how to find the footy and is tentative with the physical stuff.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 12:22pm
Thanks again Mike - your reviews are a refreshing change.

Im interesting in what you have seen in Allison?

It seems to me with his athleticism in the past he has been a preseason tease? He looks great on the training track but as soon as the contested stuff with oppositions arrive he is found wanting. Hopefully he has found some belief/maturity and can start physically impacting games? In previous years he seems to run around like a player that doesnt know how to find the footy and is tentative with the physical stuff.
The fact that I see improvement in Allison doesn’t necessarily mean I think he’ll make it.
He looks to have more confidence in himself and actually wants the ball in his hands.
The ingredients are there as far as his mobility, endurance, can take a grab & isn’t frightened of the contest.
Time will tell as to whether there’s further improvement left.

Darth Vader
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 10:45am Geelong?

Freo in WA?

I'm sure everyone was excited to be 8-3, but it was noted by many that we hadn't put together any 4 quarter efforts apart from the Hawthorn game. Most of our wins came from 1-2 quarter bursts of great play surrounded by blah.

Don't get me wrong, my c**k was definitely in a hoop to be 8-3 but I was always worried that there would be drop off.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 8:37am

Can you describe the comparison in strategies? What does RLs CB set-ups look ike and how do they compare to Ratts?

You say you didn't see Ratts employ any CB set-ups it, so it would fascinating to know specifics and why you think the set-ups will perform better? Do you see similarities to other teams CB set-ups?
I’m talking about centre bounce drills, whereby mids practice reading the ruckman’s taps & forming a synergy between each midfielder.
I didn’t see this under Ratten & McGlynn but Lenny & BJ run this every week.
If you guys get a chance, come down to training & see for yourselves, reckon you’ll like what you see!!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 1:07pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 8:37am

I’m talking about centre bounce drills, whereby mids practice reading the ruckman’s taps & forming a synergy between each midfielder.
I didn’t see this under Ratten & McGlynn but Lenny & BJ run this every week.
If you guys get a chance, come down to training & see for yourselves, reckon you’ll like what you see!!

I recall Steely saying the midfield was much better because of Paddy and his tap work.

Who are they using as tap rucks?

Saintmike65
Club Player

Yesterday it was Marshall doing the ruck work..mids were Crouch, Stocker, Wood, Bytel, Windhager.
Steel was in the Fluoro cap meaning no contact.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 1:04pm
B.M wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 10:45am Geelong?

Freo in WA?

I'm sure everyone was excited to be 8-3, but it was noted by many that we hadn't put together any 4 quarter efforts apart from the Hawthorn game. Most of our wins came from 1-2 quarter bursts of great play surrounded by blah.

Don't get me wrong, my c**k was definitely in a hoop to be 8-3 but I was always worried that there would be drop off.
100% Darth
Geezus there were even people (yes I was one) saying do not sign Brett after halfway cause the real test was to come - how did that turn out??
Christ cause King turned it in against Cats OR we got Freo at home when some of their leading players didn’t play and beat them….people run around high fivng??
How moronically stupid and naive
WATCH the game they keep reminding us….😆
I watched plenty to know that 1 gane all year of 4 quarter effort was never going to cut ffs it’s patently obvious??

“Yeah….nah””