TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

realdeal
Club Player

Re: TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 8:59pm
Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 8:49pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 7:59pm I think it’s time to let the name calling go
Last edited by realdeal on Sun 15 Jan 2023 10:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

realdeal
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 8:49pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 7:59pm I think it’s time to let the name calling go
Last edited by realdeal on Sun 15 Jan 2023 10:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

realdeal
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 8:49pm [quote=skeptic post_id=1992795 time=1673773196
Last edited by realdeal on Sun 15 Jan 2023 10:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

My original post wasn’t an invitation to pile on

You can’t be critical of name calling and then proceed to call people names or start with the insults.

Like I said, time to let it go rather than carry on

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Young fellows, barely men come to our club with high hopes, trepidation and insecurities. They bring talent, courage and commitment. Do the hard yards, represent.

I cannot understand any conversation about them being simply cannon fodder, easily discarded. Winning premierships isn't everything. Ends don't justify means.
I love watching our team contest, you see what effort these blokes put in, the hits, the injuries the great performances. Don't like it at all when we lose but always appreciate what players coaches and managers put in to field a side in an elite sport that is unique.
And hasn't our club produced some, beauties, fantastic players and been as persistent as all get out for 150 years. Glad we nurture and teach and give opportunities to our players right up until that time the players part company. Couldn't follow a club that treated it's people as no more than a commodity. Really like how we go about it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 11:44pm Young fellows, barely men come to our club with high hopes, trepidation and insecurities. They bring talent, courage and commitment. Do the hard yards, represent.

I cannot understand any conversation about them being simply cannon fodder, easily discarded. Winning premierships isn't everything. Ends don't justify means.
I love watching our team contest, you see what effort these blokes put in, the hits, the injuries the great performances. Don't like it at all when we lose but always appreciate what players coaches and managers put in to field a side in an elite sport that is unique.
And hasn't our club produced some, beauties, fantastic players and been as persistent as all get out for 150 years. Glad we nurture and teach and give opportunities to our players right up until that time the players part company. Couldn't follow a club that treated it's people as no more than a commodity. Really like how we go about it.
We are the NEW St Kilda FC are we?

You are either new to St Kilda FC or you must have been overseas during 2009/2010/2011. We didn't give genuine opportunities (as opposed to a token game here and there) to talented young players. Lost Tom Lynch to the Crows and (he who shall remain nameless) possibly cost us a flag in 2009 and 2010 by not playing blokes like Armo and Steven in finals

In 2009, a former captain was not treated with respect and was humiliated in public with repeated comments about his deficiencies. He was treated like cannon fodder and was in fact.... easily discarded! It came back to bite the club badly the following year. This was in the same year that we easily discarded X man Clarke, Goosey Maguire

Maybe...just maybe...we could have treated players better AND maybe ....just maybe... we would have also WON a premiership.

I love our players. They are the ones who cop the bruises and head injuries or have to undergo multiple operations (e.g. Goose's case). They are the the ones who bleed for the jumper

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 2:31pm We all know how restricted our young players development has been with the dysfuntional Sandringham alignment, with sub standard top up players and sub standard facility ground incl. I believe the reason we havent gone alone is financial, but I cant see our VFL development program getting the best out of the kids while we are still ankered to Sandringham. Not all players will make it, but surely the club has to invest in giving every kid on the list the absolute best chance. In the modern era its something we have been very poor at and our results have reflected that.
Yes it’s disappointing we don’t have our own seconds team, seem to remember that was supposed to happen about 2016!
Sandringham haven’t made finals since Paul Hudson was coach, that was ages ago.
The Sandy hierarchy don’t seem very pro active in attracting players..seem to leave it entirely to St. Kilda to fill the blanks.

happy feet
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 8:20pm
happy feet wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 7:28pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 6:05pm
happy feet wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 12:42am
SaintPav wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 7:25pm
happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 5:00pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 3:25pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 3:05pm
happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 2:24pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 1:49pm
happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 12:14pm
Dear oh dear, there is nothing like dealing with someone who seeks to re-write history to show themself in a better light. Name calling? You accuse me of name calling yet you refer to me as undeveloped, insecure and a wanker. Do you see anything slightly hypocritical in your behaviour?

Let’s return to the main point of your kick them out after 2 years if they are not a consistent AFL standard performance. I see a couple of others have pointed out the error of your position on this. Maybe the ‘system’ needs a change but not to what you want, casting talented athletes out after only 2 years in the AFL system. This would be a disaster. It would result in no young recruits wanting to be sent to the Saints. And for the ones who are, would put unsustainable pressure on young men when they need to be developed and guided.

I await your next round of name calling.
Let tbe record show you have initiated every attack.

If we are a consistently successful club the kids would be lining up to play for the club.

2 years is more than enough if you have been selected as a first rounder. How many first rounders do you know who have a premiership medal and took more than 2 years?

Billings is exhibit A.

Clarke and Coffield are exhibit B and C, if these two aren't both in the top 5 of our best this year then time to cut the losses.

The goal is to win silverware, not be a holiday destination.
The record will show that I have responded to your fatuous statements and questioned them when they are just purely ridiculous, impractical and Ill-informed. The record will show that it’s you who then gets nasty, name calling, labelling and trying to belittle anyone who disagrees with you. Your view of player’s performance is simplistic and fails to take into account other factors. With your criteria we would have cut Plugger.

Anyhow, you can go and please yourself. You are not worth the effort of wasting time on.
Thank farg for that...mabye consider changing your nic to AngryFeet
Sounds like he’s got angry bunions.

Comparing Plugger’s early years to Matthew Allison’s first two year. Lol.

I thought I had heard it all.

Did Plugger bag the club in his early years on a podcast.
I am pretty sure that podcasts were not around then St. Pav. Tell you what I will ask Plugger next time I see him. And where did I compare Allison to Plugger. I just think dumping young players after only 2 years is a dumb idea. Your sycophantic need to defend Vortex was not really necessary, so nick off.
I won’t.

Try and stop me.

Vortex can defend himself.

You have been dishing it out for a while.

Practice what you preach.

Sorry if that offends you but too bad.
So now we know that St Pav is Vortex’s other sign in. I really couldn’t care less, you post shite then I will call it out.
Try calling out your own “shite” first.

Using Tony Lockett’s first few years as a comparison to Matthew Allison’s performance so far is moronic.

Lockett debuted in his first season and made an immediate impact playing 32 games and kicking 32 goals while young Allison struggles to get a touch in the VFL.

Lockett was never at risk of being cut from the club in his first few years. There is a good chance that Allison may not be at the club in two years, maybe even earlier.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... ckett.html
St. pav/Vortex (i’m sure they’re the same person) - I don’t know why you accuse me of comparing Lockett and Allison. Go check the posts it wasn’t me. I just took issue with the notion of dumping players after 2 years, as did many others. Go back to Bomber Blitz or wherever the Essendon trolls hang out.
With your criteria we would have cut Plugger.
I was not making a comparison to Allison. You have jumped to that conclusion. I will not respond to you any further, I know you will post again as you are unable to let go and must have the last say. So be it.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
happy feet
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 8:20pm
happy feet wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 7:28pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 6:05pm
happy feet wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 12:42am
SaintPav wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 7:25pm
happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 5:00pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 3:25pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 3:05pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 1:49pm
happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 12:14pm
Dear oh dear, there is nothing like dealing with someone who seeks to re-write history to show themself in a better light. Name calling? You accuse me of name calling yet you refer to me as undeveloped, insecure and a wanker. Do you see anything slightly hypocritical in your behaviour?

Let’s return to the main point of your kick them out after 2 years if they are not a consistent AFL standard performance. I see a couple of others have pointed out the error of your position on this. Maybe the ‘system’ needs a change but not to what you want, casting talented athletes out after only 2 years in the AFL system. This would be a disaster. It would result in no young recruits wanting to be sent to the Saints. And for the ones who are, would put unsustainable pressure on young men when they need to be developed and guided.

I await your next round of name calling.
Let tbe record show you have initiated every attack.

If we are a consistently successful club the kids would be lining up to play for the club.

2 years is more than enough if you have been selected as a first rounder. How many first rounders do you know who have a premiership medal and took more than 2 years?

Billings is exhibit A.

Clarke and Coffield are exhibit B and C, if these two aren't both in the top 5 of our best this year then time to cut the losses.

The goal is to win silverware, not be a holiday destination.
The record will show that I have responded to your fatuous statements and questioned them when they are just purely ridiculous, impractical and Ill-informed. The record will show that it’s you who then gets nasty, name calling, labelling and trying to belittle anyone who disagrees with you. Your view of player’s performance is simplistic and fails to take into account other factors. With your criteria we would have cut Plugger.

Anyhow, you can go and please yourself. You are not worth the effort of wasting time on.
Thank farg for that...mabye consider changing your nic to AngryFeet
Sounds like he’s got angry bunions.

Comparing Plugger’s early years to Matthew Allison’s first two year. Lol.

I thought I had heard it all.

Did Plugger bag the club in his early years on a podcast.
I am pretty sure that podcasts were not around then St. Pav. Tell you what I will ask Plugger next time I see him. And where did I compare Allison to Plugger. I just think dumping young players after only 2 years is a dumb idea. Your sycophantic need to defend Vortex was not really necessary, so nick off.
I won’t.

Try and stop me.

Vortex can defend himself.

You have been dishing it out for a while.

Practice what you preach.

Sorry if that offends you but too bad.
So now we know that St Pav is Vortex’s other sign in. I really couldn’t care less, you post shite then I will call it out.
Try calling out your own “shite” first.

Using Tony Lockett’s first few years as a comparison to Matthew Allison’s performance so far is moronic.

Lockett debuted in his first season and made an immediate impact playing 32 games and kicking 32 goals while young Allison struggles to get a touch in the VFL.

Lockett was never at risk of being cut from the club in his first few years. There is a good chance that Allison may not be at the club in two years, maybe even earlier.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... ckett.html
St. pav/Vortex (i’m sure they’re the same person) - I don’t know why you accuse me of comparing Lockett and Allison. Go check the posts it wasn’t me. I just took issue with the notion of dumping players after 2 years, as did many others. Go back to Bomber Blitz or wherever the Essendon trolls hang out.
With your criteria we would have cut Plugger.
I was not making a comparison to Allison. You have jumped to that conclusion. I will not respond to you any further, I know you will post again as you are unable to let go and must have the last say. So be it.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 16 Jan 2023 1:27am
Yorkeys wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 11:44pm Young fellows, barely men come to our club with high hopes, trepidation and insecurities. They bring talent, courage and commitment. Do the hard yards, represent.

You are either new to St Kilda FC or you must have been overseas during 2009/2010/2011. We didn't give genuine opportunities (as opposed to a token game here and there) to talented young players. Lost Tom Lynch to the Crows and (he who shall remain nameless) possibly cost us a flag in 2009 and 2010 by not playing blokes like Armo and Steven in finals

In 2009, a former captain was not treated with respect and was humiliated in public with repeated comments about his deficiencies. He was treated like cannon fodder and was in fact.... easily discarded! It came back to bite the club badly the following year. This was in the same year that we easily discarded X man Clarke, Goosey Maguire

Maybe...just maybe...we could have treated players better AND maybe ....just maybe... we would have also WON a premiership.

I love our players. They are the ones who cop the bruises and head injuries or have to undergo multiple operations (e.g. Goose's case). They are the the ones who bleed for the jumper

Garbage. Ball sooked up burnt his mates and the club. Goose and X were cooked nothing more.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yep, spot on. Sorry Curley, can't agree with you.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

They were done mate loved them but unfortunately they couldn’t contribute any longer. Ball was a sook.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 16 Jan 2023 8:34am

Garbage. Ball sooked up burnt his mates and the club. Goose and X were cooked nothing more.
Takes two to tango Curly. We drove Ball out is how I saw it. He was all class and still is.

Ball was a former captain of the club and he had empathy for his old team mates when Collingwood beat us in 2010. Did you see his reaction? He didn’t celebrate the way a normal player would feel at the end of that game?

He didn’t bag his old club. He didn’t say ‘stick that up your orrifice St Kilda’ when Collingwood became premiers at our expense…did he?

As far as Lyon wanting Xman and Goose delisted in 2009…you say they were cooked! They were young men when discarded by us. Was Lyon Nostradamus and he could predict the future and predict that they’d never come good? That’s crap and you know it. Other players have had similar injuries and players have multiple knee operations and come good.

Goose was a bloody good player again and a handy backman for Brisbane…so if what I wrote is garbage…what you wrote is smelly manure of the bull variety.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Loved Luke Ball - countless times he bled for the club and played through injury- was as courageous as they come

As was Maguire - Maguire played another 5 seasons at Brisbane

The 2009-10 off season tore the fabric of the club apart - wasn’t felt in 2010 - it was the after shocks - 2012 and beyond

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 16 Jan 2023 10:55am Loved Luke Ball - countless times he bled for the club and played through injury- was as courageous as they come

As was Maguire - Maguire played another 5 seasons at Brisbane

The 2009-10 off season tore the fabric of the club apart - wasn’t felt in 2010 - it was the after shocks - 2012 and beyond
And yet, we go out of our way to engage the guy responsible as our new coach. Really un f****** believable. To me anyway.

Will take me another ten years to get over it , I'm afraid.

Only reason I am looking forward to this year is mainly because of our assistant coaching panel and our recruits from last year and this year.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Add Misson to that, saynta ...and let's give some credit to RL for getting him onboard (although, it still might not offset all of RL's negatives - at least the scales are not leaning as heavily on the negative side as they could have been).
I think Misson can make a real difference.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 16 Jan 2023 12:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Club Player

According to Saints TV on Twitter:

'Jack Hayes limped off the field at training this morning, only to return wearing a moon boot. Fingers crossed it’s just precautionary'.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Curly is spot on in this instance. Goose was a very average player in a very average team at Brisbane. Xman was cooked and injury prone.

Ball was never the same player after OP in 06. Sad but true. Pies did well to get what they did out of him.

Tore the fabric out of the club. What dramatic rubbish. Off season 2010/11 killed us

And one further thing. I reckon Armo possibly the most overrated player by supporters of the last 20 years. Didn’t work hard. Didn’t deserve opportunities
Last edited by Moods on Mon 16 Jan 2023 12:54pm, edited 2 times in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Remember this thread is for training reports people!!!

The stuff with Lyon happened over 12 years ago - we cant change the past. Im sure RTB understands the mistakes he made as deeply as we do. Time to move on...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 16 Jan 2023 12:36pm Add Misson to that, saynta ...and let's give some credit to RL for getting him onboard (although, it still might not offset all of RL's negatives - at least the scales are not leaning as heavily on the negative side as they could have been).
I think Misson can make a real difference.
I just re read Misson's book. Great read .

Sanctorum
Club Player

It's really disappointing to see this genuinely interesting and important thread being constantly derailed with pages of absolute tripe.

As I've suggested before, if you're not prepared to write a reasonable comment on what someone has posted, please exercise some self-control/discipline and allow the majority of genuine Sainst supporters to continue the conversation.

Ask yourself this question: is there any point in debating with known trolls on this forum who post stuff with the sole intention to provocate and derail the conversation to amuse themselves???

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Gershwin
Club Player

According to Saints TV on Twitter:

'Jack Hayes limped off the field at training this morning, only to return wearing a moon boot. Fingers crossed it’s just precautionary'.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I really don't like bigfooty. Same nasty arseholes who continually baited posters on this forum appears to be still doing the same over there.

However they do have some excellent training reports.

Take this latest one from a guy called palantine.

"
Coffield participated in some early non contact drills looking powerful and quick and explosive. I was actually surprised at how strong overall he looked, big man.
Enright is brilliant the way he plays and coaches. Still moves so well.
Liked the look of Peris. Kicked a goal and was generally involved and useful. Was up front in the conditioning drills at the end just behind Windy (of course).
Early on Hayes limped off. Couldn't guess what the injury was. Didn't see him again but others have seen him in a moon boot. Kept waiting for him to come back out but knew he wouldn't. His body language looked down walking slowly into the building after he did whatever he did. Was pretty disappointing.
Owens just breaks through tackles using his power. Very strong in the air playing forward in the drills. He might be hard to match up on, just so impressive. No doubt he'll be in the forward line round one.
Others who impressed; Marshall, Mattaes, Higgins, Wood, Wilkie - everyone was looking pretty good to be honest. Love watching Wanga-Milly and quite like him in the backline.
I thought Cordy was ok in the running sessions at the end. My guess is he's improving. Walsh really puts them through their paces with running drills back and forth with intervals, and then two third lap of the oval - all on repeat. Quite brutal. They look incredibly fit. Cordy has a funny Jack Steven running wiggle about him. But I didn't notice him much in the simulation work.
To me Howard trained well and looks bigger than last year. Van Es managed some nice things and is plenty big, runs good. Heath getting a bit of muscle on him now, will be interesting to see if he gets used this year. I would think next year.
I still find it hard to rate Allison, looked a little uncouth to me in marking contests. Just can't see it. Hope I'm wrong. Watched a bit of him in VFL.
Good to see Jones out there, looks in good shape. Maxxy running loose laps, not many. No Clark.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 16 Jan 2023 12:51pm Curly is spot on in this instance. Goose was a very average player in a very average team at Brisbane. Xman was cooked and injury prone.

Ball was never the same player after OP in 06. Sad but true. Pies did well to get what they did out of him.

Tore the fabric out of the club. What dramatic rubbish. Off season 2010/11 killed us

And one further thing. I reckon Armo possibly the most overrated player by supporters of the last 20 years. Didn’t work hard. Didn’t deserve opportunities
Spot on Curly/Moods
The revisionist BS spread on here by usual suspects just chomping at te but to blame our decline all on Lyon is embarrassing
Ball was cooked - couldn’t kick over a jam tin (thanks Grant Thomas for flogging him with OP!!) and was solid (not a star) at Pies. Lyon asked for more from his game …Lukey didn’t like it. Filth player who cares
As for Maguire - done at Lions and it showed
X was an ok player who never lived up to the hype
The crew by end were cooked.
Arno another in a long line of good average Saints players
Geezus some lay the BS mayo on thick…

“Yeah….nah””