J R with more crap.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

J R with more crap.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... bcdf5c8bee

"How does Lyon win over St Kilda faithful?

There are a slab of Saints fans who believe the club was ripe for change and still some holdovers who are worried about Lyon’s sometimes-dour style of play at Fremantle.

Max King’s shoulder reconstruction is wretched timing but let’s face it – St Kilda isn’t winning the flag anyway in 2023.

So his potential unavailability for up to six weeks not only gives St Kilda a perfect chance to diversify its forward line, it gives us a potential window into Lyon’s coaching brilliance.

Last year’s goal totals were King (52), Tim Membrey (34), Jack Higgins (30), Dan Butler (19), Jade Gresham (16) and Mason Wood (13).

King’s absence highlights the fact the club doesn’t really have a plan B.

So can Lyon revitalise Cooper Sharman, so impressive in late-season 2021 games but modest across 10 games this year across the ground?

Is Josh Battle worth trying as a second and third forward in King’s absence despite his 10th placing in the best-and-fairest as a defender.

SANFL summer rookie Jack Hayes will be back from an ACL tear by round 1.

Zaine Cordy and Tom Campbell are stopgap solutions but Lyon must prioritise long-term growth in that position over short-term wins.

If he can find another forward, kickstart Butler after a quiet 2022, get the very best out of Higgins all before King returns the Saints fans will quickly fall back in love with Lyon."

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: J R with more crap.

Our forward line has been a shambles for so long, embarrassing even, let's hope RLs magic wand can pull a rabbit out of the hat. Otherwise we have a long wait until the recruitment team can find a solution.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2022 11:24am Our forward line has been a shambles for so long, embarrassing even, let's hope RLs magic wand can pull a rabbit out of the hat. Otherwise we have a long wait until the recruitment team can find a solution.
Agree its was the biggest hurdle that Ratten/Lade couldnt counter. The bomb it long on top of the full forward was in vogue at the Saints under Richardson and didnt change under Ratts. Its something I am confident RTB and his new coaches will address, if the players stand up.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Fri 23 Dec 2022 4:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2022 12:09pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2022 11:24am Our forward line has been a shambles for so long, embarrassing even, let's hope RLs magic wand can pull a rabbit out of the hat. Otherwise we have a long wait until the recruitment team can find a solution.
Agree its was the biggest hurdle that Ratten/Lade couldnt cunter. The bomb it long on top of the full forward was in vogue at the Saints under Richardson and didnt change under Ratts. Its something I am confident RTB and his new coaches will address, if the players stand up.
There's an apt description for it!

Sanctorum
Club Player

Not really all that bad an article from John Ralph, I tend to agree with him that even though I feel quietly confident St Kilda will play finals in 2023, they are certainly not very likely to advance to the GF.

Most footy scribes don't rate St Kilda's chances in 2023, I hope they're wrong....

Max King will certainly be missed in the first half of the season.

Looking back on 2022, it was not really a year where any individual full-forward stood out. Tom Hawkins won the Colemann with 67 goals with Jeremy Cameron on 65, Charlie Curnow 64 and Tom Lynch 63 - the latter would have won if he hadn't missed 4 rounds through injury.

As others have commented, Sharman Cooper is in the box seat to take King's place as a KF, with support from Tim Membrey and Jack Hayes as other talls, also Rowan Marshall and Tom Campbell resting up forward to provide plenty of aerial power to get the ball to ground for the crumbers in Gresham, Higgins and Butler.

So Lyon has plenty of solid candidates to stucture a strong forward line, and leave Josh Battle to consolidate his prowess at CHB which I believe is his best spot - that's my two bob's worth to this debate!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The forward line is a symptom of the larger general footskills issue that has plagued our club since Lyon left.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2022 12:18pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2022 12:09pm
Agree its was the biggest hurdle that Ratten/Lade couldnt cunter. The bomb it long on top of the full forward was in vogue at the Saints under Richardson and didnt change under Ratts. Its something I am confident RTB and his new coaches will address, if the players stand up.
There's an apt description for it!

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

My kid saw that GH video.

He asked me, dad what does can't mean?

I replied, I dunno.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saintmike65
Club Player

Let’s face it, Ratts wasn’t very creative with the magnets.
The boss has forward options at his disposal..Membrey and Hayes as the pillars, with Wood, Phillipou, Owens, Sharman rotating plus Windhager, Gresham & Steel adding to the rotation mix!
Butler and Higgins as the small forwards.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The problem with our team is simply that we are middle of the road .
This is what Ross with have to change !
You only have to look at all our stats totals this year , all in that middle 8 to 13 region .
So " IF " Ross can devise a game plan allows us to win the ball more , move the ball faster and more creatively , this should provide more scoring opportunities. Then we will see if our forwards are up to the job .
Fingers crossed 🤞

In red white and black from 73
bergsone
SS Life Member

Owens is an option forward would like to see in lead up to first game.Big body ,along with Windy 2 gems imo

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Is that Rattens fault?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2022 12:55pm
The forward line is a symptom of the larger general footskills issue that has plagued our club since Lyon left.
I tend to agree
That coupled with a woeful transition game from defence to attack (bottom 4 in league) forwards had no chance
That said when it did get there ….long bombs were Brett’s order of the day …
I just pray Max King when he does come back is told - lead.

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2022 7:20pm
Is that Rattens fault?
Let's just call it St Kilda’s fault, they haven't been able to get their crap together for 150 years as a collective, but Lyon's magic wand is what has been missing all those years. The silverware is on its way from what I'm told.

Saints58
Club Player

I will through something up from left field lets play either or both Marshall as Lyon stated he hopes to play him forward with Campbell rucking and they interchange.
Or we play Van es up forward as the 3 big at 197cm 98kg and his elite running and intercept marking he is ready to play I know he is a KPD but a lot of KPD go forward and do really well plus if there are other players with experience down there like Hayes, Membery, at half forward and Van es and Marshall at ff line would be formattable or change them around how every the club finds the best fit.
I really feel it would unsettle a defence with theses guys there and Higgins, gresh or butler as the smalls.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I doubt we make finals next year. Any list under a new coach takes a while to adjust. Especially a list requiring development

Probably Geelong under Scott the only exception to the rule

#1 Ryder fan
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

To make finals I reckon games we have to win are Freo, Bulldogs, BNE at Marvel and both Richmond games. Effectively 8 point games. If we lose our first two could make for a long cold winter.