Kane Bunion Cornes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sks023
Club Player

Kane Bunion Cornes

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kane Bunion Cornes

Fair article

saint4life
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Very fair article. Questions need to be asked

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think the club intends to leave the position vacant. This should fool the fullback into thinking he doesn't have an opponent.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

play Higgins deep. Could be dangerous. Have the other 3 ( Hayes, Membrey and Sharman ) as lead up forwards allowing space for Higgins.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote: Wed 07 Dec 2022 6:44pm play Higgins deep. Could be dangerous. Have the other 3 ( Hayes, Membrey and Sharman ) as lead up forwards allowing space for Higgins.
Problem with that is that there’s not a key position fwd amongst them ( assuming that we’re not including Hayes as he’s a 3 game player)

This is a deadset crisis that can only be resolved by rushing back the club’s premium asset

Sanctorum
Club Player

Cornes is also urging St Kilda to get on the blower and lure Josh Kennedy out of retirement, even Paddy Ryder or Michael Hurley. But it's well known all three have bodies that are shot so I can't see the Saints being so desperate as to go down that road.

Can't imagine Josh K wanting to come all the way over from WA for a small number of games and then be dumped when Max is fit to play. Paddy is maybe a better option if they are serious about bringing someone in, he's at least a familiar face for the players.

However I'd rather they work on going with a Campbell/Marshall ruck combination, with either one restiing as Key Forward and have Membrey and Sharman as leading forwards who are bloody good marks.

In 2021 Campbell played 9 games for North and scored 6/1 from limited opportunties, at 201cm he's got the height to compete on even terms with tall FBs, does alright at stoppages as well.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 08 Dec 2022 11:50am Cornes is also urging St Kilda to get on the blower and lure Josh Kennedy out of retirement, even Paddy Ryder or Michael Hurley. But it's well known all three have bodies that are shot so I can't see the Saints being so desperate as to go down that road.

Can't imagine Josh K wanting to come all the way over from WA for a small number of games and then be dumped when Max is fit to play. Paddy is maybe a better option if they are serious about bringing someone in, he's at least a familiar face for the players.

However I'd rather they work on going with a Campbell/Marshall ruck combination, with either one restiing as Key Forward and have Membrey and Sharman as leading forwards who are bloody good marks.

In 2021 Campbell played 9 games for North and scored 6/1 from limited opportunties, at 201cm he's got the height to compete on even terms with tall FBs, does alright at stoppages as well.
That would be an even crapier forward line than we had this season, Campbell is a VFL player who couldn't get selected during our injury crisis this season, I'm curious, what have you seen in him that makes you think he can improve our forward line in 2023?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Cornes is now suggesting we convince Josh Kennedy to come out of retirement and fill in for Max:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/12/07/ ... tid=Zxz2cZ

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Josh Kennedy from the Eagles was a brilliant lead. He had great delivery from his team mates. Even a power forward like the G Train had to rely on his leading skills for the vast majority of his goals. Fraser had the likes of Banger, Nicky Dal and BJ delivering the footy

The problems with our forward line are multi faceted

One of the problems is our skills and more specifically our inside 50 kicking. Our efficiency to convert once we get it inside 50 is poor because more often than not we miss targets

The other huge problem is our strategy to convert and I think we don't have forwards confident enough to lead and to continue to offer leads.

It's the most important skill for a forward in my opinion. We haven't allowed a FF to sharpen his leading skills because we've swapped and changed our go to FF every 3 years since Kosi retired.

Another issue is our game plans over the years have always relied on a power key position FF marking the footy 1-1 against a KP Full Back. Or worse still, trying to take pack marks.

That's what we've done since Plugger, Spider, Loewe, Bazza and G Train, Kosi and Roo. That's what they tried to teach Paddy McCartin.

It's a high risk strategy and you need the very best crumbers to take advantage and I don't think we've managed to get a settled forward line in the last 5 years. Therefore they haven't had a chance to gell together

After Roo retired and McCartin failed, we then bring in a skinny 18 year old and we think he can soar over any pack in front of him because of his height and we fail to teach him the art of leading

We have to fix our inside 50 entries.

We have to provide opportunities for our best kicks in the team to play as mids and to encourage our half back flankers to attack and run and receive the footy forward of the centre circle.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The reason we were all excited about Cooper Sharman at the end of 2021 was because the kid had natural talent and he knew how to lead.

If he is given the opportunity as our FF and if he succeeds, then I think we should play Max King as our CHF.

Max is also a better field kick than RoMa and Membrey

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 08 Dec 2022 6:31pm The reason we were all excited about Cooper Sharman at the end of 2021 was because the kid had natural talent and he knew how to lead.

If he is given the opportunity as our FF and if he succeeds, then I think we should play Max King as our CHF.

Max is also a better field kick than RoMa and Membrey
We hear these claims echoed frequently in this chamber but if he's so good at leading and leading is a highly valued commodity how come Sharman spent most of the year struggling at VFL level while our forward line was easily our worst performed line?

Also do forwards who lead make midfielders better deliverers of the ball, or do midfeilders make forwards better leaders to the ball. I feel there is another option especially one that relates to the modern defence game.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

There's always a pecking order

Sharman wasn't going to replace Ryder, Marshall, King or Membrey when they were all fit and available...was he?

Remember how frustrated Rooy would get in those years just after we lost BJ and Nicky Dal?

How do you think JK or Jack Riewoldt or Nick Riewoldt would have gone at VFL level with sub standard delivery coming in 80% of the time

In junior footy you see really talented forwards but you also have really talented midfielders delivering the footy.

It's a totally different environment in the VFL when you are a forward who has to rely on the kicking accuracy of your team mates. Same with the top 6 squads who have good disposal versus the bottom teams who generally have poor kicks

sks023
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 08 Dec 2022 6:24pm Josh Kennedy from the Eagles was a brilliant lead. He had great delivery from his team mates. Even a power forward like the G Train had to rely on his leading skills for the vast majority of his goals. Fraser had the likes of Banger, Nicky Dal and BJ delivering the footy
I had to add a chap named Heath Black on the wing who would hit up the G Train with regular ease :)
Last edited by sks023 on Fri 09 Dec 2022 4:58am, edited 1 time in total.

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
B.M
Saintsational Legend

CHF

There is no such position anymore

You are actually told not to kick the footy there in offence!

It’s called a shallow entry, and is to be avoided because on turnover it cannot be defended!

Max was is and will always be a FF

He averages over 2 contested marks a game, which is elite.

He has a poor tank, and only spends limited time outside f50

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Shame if Max can't be the link up man that floats up around the wings and provides opportunities for us with his superior field kicking

He would be perfect to play Membrey's role if Max develops a better tank

Guys who were playing as forwards last year like Butler, Membrey, Gresh and Marshall were not very good at hitting up targets inside 50.

Higgins is probably a better field kick but he doesn't move up the ground as much and he's not a winger. Probably one of the reasons Richmond were happy to trade him to us

Even our wingers like Wood and DMac struggled at times. Billings wasn't fit and NWM is still too raw. NWM hasn't lived up to the reputation as far as his kicking is concerned.

We need to have more guys who have both the kicking skills and the tank to provide the link up and that important kick inside 50

Let's hope Brad Hill gets back to his best as our wingman. Let's hope we also see more of Sincs and Wilkie and Coffield delivering inside 50.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Who the f*** calls their kid Kane or Cain.

Not to many adolf's or Judas's in the world these days either.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 09 Dec 2022 10:20am Who the f*** calls their kid Kane or Cain.

Not to many adolf's or Judas's in the world these days either.
I don't mind Kane
But seeing him does remind me of a baked potato 🥔 that's been punched

In red white and black from 73
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It's an Anglo thang
Who the f*** calls their kid Kane or Cain
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... N5etDnMcja

Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 08 Dec 2022 1:05pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 08 Dec 2022 11:50am Cornes is also urging St Kilda to get on the blower and lure Josh Kennedy out of retirement, even Paddy Ryder or Michael Hurley. But it's well known all three have bodies that are shot so I can't see the Saints being so desperate as to go down that road.

That would be an even crapier forward line than we had this season, Campbell is a VFL player who couldn't get selected during our injury crisis this season, I'm curious, what have you seen in him that makes you think he can improve our forward line in 2023?
Campbell was only called on to play 2 games this year but as I said, the previuous year he scored 6/1 from 9 games.

I also recall back in 2008 Ross Lyon took great pride in recruiting Steven King and Michael Gardiner, (after GT had been in denial about the need for strong ruckmen), and had them rotating through the forward line, I'm sure he'll use the same "Two Pillars" policy again and rightly so, it's what Geelong have done with great effect for a long time and it's well known that he is a strong admirer of Geelong's blueprint for success.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 09 Dec 2022 5:41pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 08 Dec 2022 1:05pm

Campbell was only called on to play 2 games this year but as I said, the previuous year he scored 6/1 from 9 games.

I also recall back in 2008 Ross Lyon took great pride in recruiting Steven King and Michael Gardiner, (after GT had been in denial about the need for strong ruckmen), and had them rotating through the forward line, I'm sure he'll use the same "Two Pillars" policy again and rightly so, it's what Geelong have done with great effect for a long time and it's well known that he is a strong admirer of Geelong's blueprint for success.
Two pillars is a nice dream if you have two AFL standard players on your list to pick from....Campbell is a VFL player,.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

We will see how Campbell goes under the retreaded coach.