Ratts praised for his incredible dignified exit

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ratts praised for his incredible dignified exit

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Ratts praised for his incredible dignified exit

Thanks for posting this saynta, there's little doubt that Brett Ratten is in every way a very decent human being because his exit came totally out of the blue and would have been really hard for him to accept. It was obvious when he was coach that one of his big strengths was loyalty to the players, evidenced by Jack Steele's reaction of incredulity when he heard Ratten had been sacked.

I am on record, as you are too, for supporting Ratten when he came under severe attack from posters on this forum - but that's all in the past and there's nought to be gained by rehashing any of that now, time to move on, wipe the slate clean and jump onboard for the next thrilling and enthralling adventure that Saints supporters are about to witness!

Let's face it, I can't remember the last time that I have felt so excited and energised about a new season, so much good news that's come from Linton Street since early October - none of which would have eventuated if the Board had stuck with Mr Nice Guy Brett!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 12:33pm ….

I am on record, as you are too, for supporting Ratten when he came under severe attack from posters on this forum

- but that's all in the past and there's nought to be gained by rehashing any of that now, time to move on, wipe the slate clean….
Yes indeed.

I don’t want to be sanctimonious, sanctorum, and there is nought to be gained by telling everyone I am on the record for defending Ratts against nasty attacks by posters.

Well I also want everyone to know, I defend Ratts most strongly and with the most stringent hygiene. (I spray the keyboard with disinfectant)

But it’s time to move on.

It’s a ..
…nice day for a white wedding.
It’s a…
…nice day to, start again!!
Come on!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Good assistant
Aged in the job ran out of ideas
Nice guy’s finish last

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Teflon wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 2:58pm Good assistant
Nice guy’s finish last
Some just aren't suited to the top job.
He's probably relieved that it's part-time now, the new job.
As is his family.
Health comes first

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 3:21pm
Nice guy’s finish last
As is his family.
Health comes first
Agree
I think he’s a nice fella no doubt so glad he landed on his feet

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 3:21pm
Nice guy’s finish last
As is his family.
Health comes first
So Bassatt and Lethlean did him a favour?

Did we sack Ratten and employ Ross the Boss because he’s ‘suited’ to the job or do we actually want results?

Hey, Wellard…tell me …where do you see us finishing next year? Do you want results?

If the structures were at fault according to the review and the president admitted that Ratten didn’t get the support he required, then surely there must be improvement in ladder position saught from the new coaching panel. In other words…Walsh was coming on board prior to the sacking of Ratten and changes were in play since the middle of the year with Lenny and other assistants

In the meantime…St Kilda supporters have to endure the circus that is our football club

With this current list, do you see making finals in the next 2 years and if we don’t, where does that leave us?

At the very least….the people currently on the board all need to hand in their resignation.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 27 Nov 2022 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 2:49pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 12:33pm ….

I am on record, as you are too, for supporting Ratten when he came under severe attack from posters on this forum

- but that's all in the past and there's nought to be gained by rehashing any of that now, time to move on, wipe the slate clean….
Yes indeed.

I don’t want to be sanctimonious, sanctorum, and there is nought to be gained by telling everyone I am on the record for defending Ratts against nasty attacks by posters.

Well I also want everyone to know, I defend Ratts most strongly and with the most stringent hygiene. (I spray the keyboard with disinfectant)

But it’s time to move on.

It’s a ..
…nice day for a white wedding.
It’s a…
…nice day to, start again!!
Come on!
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 12:33pm Thanks for posting this saynta, there's little doubt that Brett Ratten is in every way a very decent human being because his exit came totally out of the blue and would have been really hard for him to accept. It was obvious when he was coach that one of his big strengths was loyalty to the players, evidenced by Jack Steele's reaction of incredulity when he heard Ratten had been sacked.

I am on record, as you are too, for supporting Ratten when he came under severe attack from posters on this forum - but that's all in the past and there's nought to be gained by rehashing any of that now, time to move on, wipe the slate clean and jump onboard for the next thrilling and enthralling adventure that Saints supporters are about to witness!

Let's face it, I can't remember the last time that I have felt so excited and energised about a new season, so much good news that's come from Linton Street since early October - none of which would have eventuated if the Board had stuck with Mr Nice Guy Brett!
I’ll revisit this thread in 10 months time.

Let’s see how ‘energised’ you feel at the end of home and away next year

The headline in that piece used the word ‘dignified’ to describe Brett Ratten. Yep….definitely….he wasn’t suited to St Kilda

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Scollop put words in my mouth.
I said Ratts is relieved that the stress is over and new job is part time.
Bassat n Lethers didn't do him a favour, they are Saints first and foremost.
The review found Ratts wasn't up to it, or whatever.

I am not sure how we'll go next year, but will be very happy if we finish 6-8 on the ladder.
With the new coaches and new focus, we should not crumble against Bombers etc.
And we should be able to finish off our good work with goals rather than behinds.
So the Lions game, the Sydney game, and that Pies game, we'd win those, I bloody hope so.
And no more of this 'win a game by having a decent 15 min burst in the last, but lose in all metrics for the rest of the game'

RTB, Lenny and Banger have a lot of experience, they won't let us be rubbish and inconsistent. Like the other coaches who have FRO- good riddance

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 5:04pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 12:33pm Thanks for posting this saynta, there's little doubt that Brett Ratten is in every way a very decent human being because his exit came totally out of the blue and would have been really hard for him to accept. It was obvious when he was coach that one of his big strengths was loyalty to the players, evidenced by Jack Steele's reaction of incredulity when he heard Ratten had been sacked.

The headline in that piece used the word ‘dignified’ to describe Brett Ratten. Yep….definitely….he wasn’t suited to St Kilda
So you honestly believe this wasn’t a good move by the club?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The same incompetent board who presided over 6 years of Richo and the same incompetent board who extended Ratten has made this decision. Sorry…J Blake didn’t preside over Richo did he….but we all know he’s a junior when it comes to football administration

I honestly believe that Ratten was not our problem. The list build was the problem and Brett inherited a mish mash of money ball imports and did an incredible job for the time he was at our club. When he had a full list and hardly any injuries we made finals and we won a final

I honestly believe that the strategy to recruit talented 18 year olds in 2021 and the strategy to hit the National draft this year is the correct way to create sustained success and a ‘team’ that can grow together

I hope the club has success. I’m sick of justifying their stuff ups to my mates. I’m sick of seeing other supporters celebrate

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s funny

In 2020 the ‘money ball’ tactic was lauded

Now it was a mistake?

Don’t get it???

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Wtf are you talking about? Not everyone agreed with it.

We are all individuals and we are free to think for ourselves. I didn’t laud it. I didn’t think we would get sustained success from it

It was a short term fix in my opinion. I didn’t think it was the right strategy for actually being a bona fide challenger.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It’s like this thread

Not everyone agrees with the reasons Ratten was sacked even though the Ross fanboys would have us all believe that it’s ‘for the best’

I would have preferred that saynta didn’t post it because the usual suspects just use the thread to post crap

Perhaps if the Ross fanboys could desist from looking in the rear vision mirror we can all move on. As always, there are lessons to be learnt from the dignified exit from our ex coach

The decision to replace Ratten with Lyon has been made so nothing to be gained from Ratten sharing his real thoughts with the media

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 5:51pm It’s funny

Now it was a mistake?

Don’t get it???

Now it's about strong leadership and being a tough regime, ruthless in our pursuits and unforgiving if standards aren't met....and going to the draft to find talent.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... do you see making finals in the next 2 years and if we don’t, where does that leave us?
from me

10th , 9th , 4th in our 3rd season
and away we go

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 6:20pm

Now it was a mistake?

Don’t get it???

Now it's about strong leadership and being a tough regime, ruthless in our pursuits and unforgiving if standards aren't met....and going to the draft to find talent.
So wrong move by the club then?
Is that your position or just more piss!n and moaning ??
Off the fence old chap let’s here it
What would you have had the club do?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 5:16pm

Lol you’re asking for an answer that requires the whingers to form an independent opinion…I admire your optimism
All these glorified Brett bum boys still fail to tell us what they would’ve done differently to the club???
It’s far easier to b!tch from the cheap seats.
FWIW my position: In Ross we trust.
Not that hard really….lol

MOD EDIT : POSTER SUSPENDED FOR 24 HOURS. ABUSE.

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 7:00pm

Now it was a mistake?

Don’t get it???

Gee ya on fire Teffers...don't have a heart attack aye.

But to answer your question, I am benevolent about the move on one hand, but agnostic on the other. Too many false dawns for me to go weak at the knees over familiar grandiose promises and become an overly early believer.

I have made my own promise this time, I promise not to trust anything until the results meet the promises.

Ask me again in 4 years.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 7:13pm

Now it was a mistake?

Don’t get it???

But to answer your question, I am benevolent about the move on one hand, but agnostic on the other. Too many false dawns for me to go weak at the knees over familiar grandiose promises and become an overly early believer.

I have made my own promise this time, I promise not to trust anything until the results meet the promises.

Ask me again in 4 years.
Why 4 years? You’re asking members and fans to be awfully patient aren’t you? Surely the expiry date is 3 years?

What about this scenario: What if the club promises Ross at the end of the first 2 years that they’ll start discussions on a renewal during the 3rd year?

Would you agree if the club is sitting in the top 8 midway through his third year? What if Ross the Boss is 8-3 in June 2025 and the club decides to renew his contract before the end of the year? Would you expect the club to extend even if we haven’t made finals?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 7:30pm

Now it was a mistake?

Don’t get it???

Ask me again in 4 years.
Why 4 years? You’re asking members and fans to be awfully patient aren’t you? Surely the expiry date is 3 years?

What about this scenario: What if the club promises Ross at the end of the first 2 years that they’ll start discussions on a renewal during the 3rd year?

Would you agree if the club is sitting in the top 8 midway through his third year? What if Ross the Boss is 8-3 in June 2025 and the club decides to renew his contract before the end of the year? Would you expect the club to extend even if we haven’t made finals?
It's really simple, becaue Rl has a 4 year contract and as we know, St Kilda honour their contract and although that is clearly sarcasm, I believe this will be the first coach contract that goes the full term because Bassett has anchored his Presidency to RL and him bringing home the cup.

The all or nothing type decision making has only two outcomes, success or spectacular fail.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Now it was a mistake?

Don’t get it???

Ask me again in 4 years.
Lol still dodged the question and can’t muster an independent view??
It’s not benevolence that’s your issue ….it’s lack of a spine
Anyhoo, cheer on from the cheap seats Helen/Cairnsman/whatever you call yourself to escape troll bans next time
The only way anyone would have a heart attack reading your drivel is if you actually managed to muster a view!!
Thank god for RTB is all I can say….

MOD EDIT : POSTER SUSPENDED FOR 24 HOURS FOR ABUSE AND CONTINUING AN ONGOING CONFLICT

“Yeah….nah””
damienc
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 7:03pm

Lol you’re asking for an answer that requires the whingers to form an independent opinion…I admire your optimism
All these glorified Brett bum boys still fail to tell us what they would’ve done differently to the club???

And why wouldn't you? Love him or loath him he got us to the show. Twice. Third time lucky I am hoping.

damienc
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 27 Nov 2022 7:03pm

And why wouldn't you? Love him or loath him he got us to the show. Twice. Third time lucky I am hoping.