Hunter Clark

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Re: Hunter Clark

A year is a long time in footy for a kid ..minds will be changed I'm betting.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 7:51pm Clark is the one that wanted to leave. He cracked the sads.
Chicken or egg?

He wanted out once we had shopped him

Who knows?

The best result would be that he actually lifts his game .

I remember reading Aaron Fiora's comments after he was delisted, and he was stunned how quickly it was all over and how he had never really applied himself properly and just assumed he could do just enough to get by.....hopefully Hunter has had a bit of a wake up call.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 8:45pm If he is a vegan in afl footy as reported not sure if true or not ..but it may explain the lack of protein to build muscle ..
A soy boy?

Omg

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Rubyjo
Club Player

Too much estrogen in the soy.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Somebody said we developed him for five years - i suspect the real problem is that we didn't.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Look at Papley at the Swans.
Tried to get to Carlton, didn’t work then back there.

Plenty of players are welcomed back after considering leaving their job.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 12 Oct 2022 7:51pm Clark is the one that wanted to leave. He cracked the sads.
Crap comment for a guy who has bled for the jumper.

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl ... gFegQIARAt

I don’t know why he wanted to entertain leaving the Saints but my guess is Clark would like to play more midfield. That…plus he would have preferred that the prick David Mackay copped some punishment when he cannoned into him up in Cairns last year. When you bleed for your club and they stumble and bumble and crumble under pressure from opposition lawyers, it’s fuckn pathetic

If I got my head smashed in playing for my club and I suffered multiple fractures and a clean break from my teeth right down to the bottom of my jaw, and the AFL pushes for the incident to be worthy of weeks, but my employer is so incompetent that they can’t provide a clear case for the tribunal to suspend the perpetrator…then I guess I’d be a bit filthy too

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 13 Oct 2022 8:15am

I don’t know why he wanted to entertain leaving the Saints but my guess is Clark would like to play more midfield. That…plus he would have preferred that the prick David Mackay copped some punishment when he cannoned into him up in Cairns last year. When you bleed for your club and they stumble and bumble and crumble under pressure from opposition lawyers, it’s fuckn pathetic

If I got my head smashed in playing for my club and I suffered multiple fractures and a clean break from my teeth right down to the bottom of my jaw, and the AFL pushes for the incident to be worthy of weeks, but my employer is so incompetent that they can’t provide a clear case for the tribunal to suspend the perpetrator…then I guess I’d be a bit filthy too
You might have missed the memo but plenty of hearsay around Clark not willing to put in the extra work in the gym and off the track to help him go to the next level .... you can believe it or not

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It seems that whenever Paul Connors is the player's agent the waters (reasons) get murky.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hunter has a lot of football left in him…he missed large chunks of the year last year and also this year. He didn’t play a senior game this year until round 14. People forget how good he is and how much upside there is

viewtopic.php?p=1874027#p1874027

I’m glad Ratts gave him some home truths around his fitness, but it’s something that needed to be instilled from the time Hunter arrived at the club…not just in the last 12 months

We need to lift as a club in many areas and it’s an indictment on the leadership group of players and the high performance and development coaches

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 13 Oct 2022 8:52am
I’m glad Ratts gave him some home truths around his fitness, but it’s something that needed to be instilled from the time Hunter arrived at the club…not just in the last 12 months
I missed that, can you elaborate please?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

How many years (decades?) since professional football teams had one universal training regimen and set of standards for the team like a Marines boot camp, where everybody had to come up to the line, or else?

I imagine it was many moons ago.

Although they do stuff together, when it comes to 'load', for the last (x) years, I imagine each player has a personally made plan, a folio of personal targets to meet, a personal mentor at the club that monitors progress and joins a meeting of other monitors to report progress. Where upon it goes up the chain, through other meetings and committees before it arrives at Ratt's desk.

Then quite independently of all this, Ratts is on the grass with his whistle, watching it all and no doubt, his own intuitions are telling him what some players are or are not doing, what they should be doing etc., and yet, I bet my bottom dollar, he must be extremely careful about how he acts. He cannot just wander up to a player and say, 'Hey mate, howzabout losing some of that gut?' 'You wanna play mid right?' This sort of stuff could be on an ABC Special Report into work place bullying.

When the Clarko/Fagan thing goes up (Thank heavens Footy Classified will be in recess) in lights, this kinda thing will be even more pronounced.

I think HUnter is cool, and I think he'll be happy at the Saints especially with Lenny. He's a champ. And I hope we don't force him to bulk up like a madman. I do wonder if he might have been influenced by Jack Stephen ...I've got nothing to go by, other than the casual chilled swagger of both.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Jack Stephen.

😂

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sanctorum
Club Player

The only factual report about Clark going to North was from Brady Rawlings who claimed Clark had expressed a desire to go there. There's no factual evidence that St Kilda had "shopped him around", and I doubt the report that St Kilda had offered Clark and pick 9 for North's pick 3 came from the club, that's quite illogical.

I agree with the comment that Clark may well be like Tom Papley and extend his contract beyond 2023.

What is really pertinent is that Clark needs to have a breakout year if he is going to be of interest to any club, including St Kilda.

I have previously stated that I'm really pleased that Geoff Walsh is now in charge of the football department, every single aspect, which will definitely include all coaches, list management, recruiting and team selections.

To have someone of his standing, his record, a very strong leader who has never previously been involved with our club and the senior staff in the football department is to me a Godsend, exactly what is required to not only shake up the joint but to ensure every single player is committed to get the best out of themselves at all times and given the opportunity to broaden their scope beyond being a "list clogger".

So I'm confident that if Clark has indeed not put in the time and effort in the gym to build his body, as has been claimed, he will certainly do so in the off-season, and will be far more likely to be given every chance to become a regular selection in the midfield, because that remains the team's major weakness!

2023 could well be reminiscent of 2001 when Malcolm Blight became senior coach and supporters were told that "prepare to be in for a hell of a ride"!!! Well, we all know how that ended, but this time I believe it will be exactly that......

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Rubyjo
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 13 Oct 2022 11:39am The only factual report about Clark going to North was from Brady Rawlings who claimed Clark had expressed a desire to go there. There's no factual evidence that St Kilda had "shopped him around", and I doubt the report that St Kilda had offered Clark and pick 9 for North's pick 3 came from the club, that's quite illogical.

I agree with the comment that Clark may well be like Tom Papley and extend his contract beyond 2023.

What is really pertinent is that Clark needs to have a breakout year if he is going to be of interest to any club, including St Kilda.

I have previously stated that I'm really pleased that Geoff Walsh is now in charge of the football department, every single aspect, which will definitely include all coaches, list management, recruiting and team selections.

To have someone of his standing, his record, a very strong leader who has never previously been involved with our club and the senior staff in the football department is to me a Godsend, exactly what is required to not only shake up the joint but to ensure every single player is committed to get the best out of themselves at all times and given the opportunity to broaden their scope beyond being a "list clogger".

So I'm confident that if Clark has indeed not put in the time and effort in the gym to build his body, as has been claimed, he will certainly do so in the off-season, and will be far more likely to be given every chance to become a regular selection in the midfield, because that remains the team's major weakness!

2023 could well be reminiscent of 2001 when Malcolm Blight became senior coach and supporters were told that "prepare to be in for a hell of a ride"!!! Well, we all know how that ended, but this time I believe it will be exactly that......
Was confirmed on Trade radio ..the saints wanted pick 3 for Hunter and 9. Thats what it would have taken to move Hunter on.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 13 Oct 2022 8:15am

When has a club ever tried to get an opposition player suspended?
They were incompetent in not getting Paddy Ryder off but Mackay not being suspended has nothing to do with the Saints.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 13 Oct 2022 2:18pm
When has a club ever tried to get an opposition player suspended?
Freo on Steven Baker for the Farmer incident.

(But your point is well taken)

Sanctorum
Club Player

Rubyjo wrote: Thu 13 Oct 2022 12:35pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 13 Oct 2022 11:39am The only factual report about Clark going to North was from Brady Rawlings who claimed Clark had expressed a desire to go there. There's no factual evidence that St Kilda had "shopped him around", and I doubt the report that St Kilda had offered Clark and pick 9 for North's pick 3 came from the club, that's quite illogical.

Was confirmed on Trade radio ..the saints wanted pick 3 for Hunter and 9. Thats what it would have taken to move Hunter on.
Still doesn't sound right to me Rubyjo, are you really suggesting that it was St Kilda that actually offered Clark + pick 9 for North's pick 3, why on earth would they package pick 9 plus a player that was drafted at pick 7 and on the cusp of achieving his huge potential - stuff mentioned on Trade radio is no more reliable than any other media. From what Brady Rawlings said it is quite clear that it was North that was keen to make a deal, rather than St Kilda.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I wasnt upset about Clark being traded as I feel he has under acheived considering his potential. Having said that I hope Lenny can get hold a hold of him over the summer and get him to unleash some of that potential he possesses? It would be a great story for Hunter and the club if he can have a breakout year playing lots of midfield minutes and then signs a long term contract extending his stay at the club!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I doubt we'll ever know the exact sequence of events here. My suspicion is that Clark and his manager shopped him to the Roos, rather than us (I can't see why we'd be that keen to get rid of him), and that we put up the pick 9 plus Clark for pick 3 deal in response to an approach from the Roos asking us what we'd want for hm.

At any event, those posters on SS and Big Footy suggesting that the idea of getting pick 3 for Clark plus pick 9 was a terrible deal are - in the immortal words of Darryl Kerrigan - dreaming. Look at the average return this year to clubs who traded players for draft picks. What we offered the Roos would have been a sensational deal for us, which is of course why they rejected it.

Clark has quick hands and is quite good at disposing the ball by foot, but only moves at average speed and is injury-prone and looks to have an insufficiently hard body for AFL in the 2020s. He's pretty good, and could still get better, but I don't think he's on the verge of an AA selection any time soon. He's greatly overrated by most Saints fans, as are a number of our other current and recent former players (Sharman, Bytel, Acres and Long all come immediately to mind).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
ace
Saintsational Legend

Seems North would NOT swap pick 3 for Clark and pick 9
But pick 3 will be pick 4 and pick 9 will become pick 10 on the night when Brisbane queue jumps to take Ashcroft.
So pick 4 is worth 2,034 points and pick 10 worth 1,395 points
A differential of 639 points
Pick 29 = 653 points, pick 30 = 629 points.

Seems North either does not value Clark very highly or they wanted to rip St Kilda off.
Up yours Norf

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.