McCartin and Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Killa
Club Player

McCartin and Hickey

Two players universally rubbished on this site without exception

Shows exactly why those putting opinion on players on this site have no idea

Absolutely no idea

Hickey compared to Longer and McEvoy?

No comparison

McCartin compared to the Melbourne mid fielder?

Number 1 Draft Pick for very obvious reasons including that he is a class key position player - who you take in preference to a mid field player every day of the week

Key position players do not grow on trees

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin and Hickey

Good one Sig, if you hate the forum posters so much why do you visit ?

I'm sure the feeling is slowly becoming mutual.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Hickey had alot of support on here,. The mystery was, why did we choose Longer ahead of him

McCartin had 7 concussions,. most on here could see his potential, but it was clearly a poor choice compared to Petracca.
Most on here were pleased he got another chance

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:58am Hickey had alot of support on here,. The mystery was, why did we choose Longer ahead of him

McCartin had 7 concussions,. most on here could see his potential, but it was clearly a poor choice compared to Petracca.
I thought it was 8 concussions, anyway, the Saints would never have tried him as a defender, if you don't believe me, ask Hind. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 1:02am
Banger9798 wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:58am Hickey had alot of support on here,. The mystery was, why did we choose Longer ahead of him

I thought it was 8 concussions, anyway, the Saints would never have tried him as a defender, if you don't believe me, ask Hind. :lol: :lol: :lol:
What's one more concussion between friends?

I will say, that I'm gravely concerned about our trade period.

If we lose Hill and Long, bring in a 30 year old accumulator like Mitchell, overpay DeGoey, miss out on any of the tall defenders available - I reckon we'll earn a big fat F.

We'll also watch as Hill and Long motor into top gear for North and play with freedom and style that they never have with Rattens game plan.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Fri 02 Sep 2022 11:47pm Two players universally rubbished on this site without exception
Universally? What utter rubbish.

1/ Hickey had many fans on this forum.

2/ Paddy was not so much rubbished, as there was angst about taking him over Petracca.
If not for his many concussions he would still be a St Kilda player.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 1:53am
I will say, that I'm gravely concerned about our trade period.

If we lose Hill and Long, bring in a 30 year old accumulator like Mitchell, overpay DeGoey, miss out on any of the tall defenders available - I reckon we'll earn a big fat F.

We'll also watch as Hill and Long motor into top gear for North and play with freedom and style that they never have with Rattens game plan.
Yes I am worried to that they will just try and top up for a tilt next year, rather than build with players who will last long enough to be playing with King, Windy etc when they peak.

However I think DeGoey may be worth the risk, plus he is not old.

Mitchell (30 next year) would be an odd pick up given we have Crouch. Can't really see you can play the two of them when we also have Steele.

However last season was mainly about getting good young players. Hopefully this draft trade period will replicate that. Who we draft and trade in will say a lot about our list management approach.

Our expensive trades in Hill, Hannas and Jones have all delivered "unders". Howard has been ok.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Yep

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think we can now see why so many of our players who we drafted between 2013 -2019 have not developed as we would have liked.
They even played the American guy in the ruck before Hickey sometimes, I mean; come on!
And their steadfast refusal to try Paddy out in the backline is as good an example of sh1tfull player development and coaching as you are ever likely to see in professional sport.

How handy would McCartin be to us right now in the backline? We gave up the number 1 draft pick for this guy!!!
Now that Paddy Ryder has retired how handy would Hickey be in the ruck with RoMa?

The whole situation has been farcical and our ridiculous alignment which makes us play our reserves games on a sand dune is another joke.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 10:59am I think we can now see why so many of our players who we drafted between 2013 -2019 have not developed as we would have liked.
They even played the American guy in the ruck before Hickey sometimes, I mean; come on!
And their steadfast refusal to try Paddy out in the backline is as good an example of sh1tfull player development and coaching as you are ever likely to see in professional sport.

How handy would McCartin be to us right now in the backline? We gave up the number 1 draft pick for this guy!!!
Now that Paddy Ryder has retired how handy would Hickey be in the ruck with RoMa?

The whole situation has been farcical and our ridiculous alignment which makes us play our reserves games on a sand dune is another joke.
This is where I give Ratts credit, he seems willing to experiment and not give up on a player until he's trialled the player in different positions, Sharman is a good recent example, if Sharman doesn't make it at AFL level, it wont be through lack of opportunity. I wonder if Ratts was in charge at the time if Paddy would still be with us?

Paddy should never have been de-listed, arguably a Lethlean mistake, he was told we would recruit him again after he had dealt with his concussion which clearly was a lie. Recruiting Max made the lie obvious.

We literally gave away a highly talented No. 1 DP. Anyway no use banging on about it, I'm just wrapped how things are going for him, I'm now really hoping the Swans can go all the way and make Paddy's story an International one.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

If I’m not mistaken BM often championed paddy to be tried as a backmen, in part to protect his head being the man from behind vs in front. Shame our coaches didn’t give it a go

I was always a fan of hickey. Didn’t want to lose him. Again a shame there wasn’t the patience / persistence at our club to let a big man develop

#1 Ryder fan
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Hard not to see that McCartin is way slimmer and taught up in Sydney.

That maybe wotth a thought.

Maybe not.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

West Coast & St Kilda could certainly do with the current incarnation of Hickey. Hickey, quite rightly, cracked it with St Kilda but to be fair he didn't do himself alot of favours as proven by his stint at the Eagles.

Kudos to Sydney and their system, that's the real shining light.

In terms of Paddy, to claim he was the right pick at #1 on the back of now playing as a defender is rewriting history. Again, kudos to Sydney and their recruitment of his brother Tom who was probably the only reason Paddy got a look in. There were 16 other clubs who had the opportunity to trial Paddy but failed.

A great story!

Neither player, during their time at St Kilda looked like the players of 2022. That's not St Kilda, that's Sydney and the players themselves.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Sydney
Plugger
Paddy
Tommy H
Saints
Hanneberry
Trent-Lane
Skunk

And the winner is......

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Barry Hall

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Tommy W

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:51pm Sydney
Plugger
Paddy
Tommy H
Saints
Hanneberry
Trent-Lane
Skunk

And the winner is......
This bloke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayson_Daniels

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Craig O'Brien
Sean Dempster
Mathew Schneider
Tim Membrey

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 2:40pm Craig O'Brien
Sean Dempster
Mathew Schneider
Tim Membrey
I am looking forward to Mathew making his debut for us. Is he related to Adam?

Saint supporter since '62
darylcowie
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 11:59am Hard not to see that McCartin is way slimmer and taught up in Sydney.

That maybe wotth a thought.

Maybe not.
I was at our game against the Swans last week and I watched Paddy closely in the first quarter as I was at the Lockett End.
He clearly reads the ball well in the air and is suited to CHB.
However, I disagree re his condition.
He still looks a bit overweight and lacks definition.
Blakey and his brother pick up most of rhe rebounding slack off half back that he is physically not capable of doing at AFL level.
He is a comperent, but limited CHB, who wisely plays within his limitations.
Number 1 pick was clearly wasted on him, but he should never have been let go for donuts.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I am wrapt for Tom and Paddy, both who left the Saints not by choice. Tom's interview on Fox after the game demonstrated perfectly what having this 4th AFL chance means to him.

And Paddy? This could be a Cinderella story for the ages. Go Paddy!

Saint supporter since '62
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 11:23am
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 10:59am I think we can now see why so many of our players who we drafted between 2013 -2019 have not developed as we would have liked.

This is where I give Ratts credit, he seems willing to experiment and not give up on a player until he's trialled the player in different positions, Sharman is a good recent example, if Sharman doesn't make it at AFL level, it wont be through lack of opportunity. I wonder if Ratts was in charge at the time if Paddy would still be with us?

Paddy should never have been de-listed, arguably a Lethlean mistake, he was told we would recruit him again after he had dealt with his concussion which clearly was a lie. Recruiting Max made the lie obvious.

We literally gave away a highly talented No. 1 DP. Anyway no use banging on about it, I'm just wrapped how things are going for him, I'm now really hoping the Swans can go all the way and make Paddy's story an International one.
And I would like Hickdog to salute as well. Met him with my kids at a clinic at Moorabbin back in the day, and he is a great guy - a bit like Kramer from Seinfeld actually.
I'm with you Vortex, Ratts has been good in a lot of ways, and you're right, he does deserve credit for it. In a way, Ratten reminds me a bit of Mike Patterson as a coach.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:51pm Sydney
Plugger
Paddy
Tommy H
Jack Daniels
Obie
Hall
Spida
Hickey
Saints
Hanneberry
Trent-Lane
Skunk
Shneids
Shinner
Jack Daniels

And the winner is......
EFA

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Hickey is and always was a very good ruckman.

Paddy is currently an ok backman, nothing special, looks good third man up (as many do) but otherwise no big loss.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The_Dud wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 4:38pm Hickey is and always was a very good ruckman.

Paddy is currently an ok backman, nothing special, looks good third man up (as many do) but otherwise no big loss.
Somebody else said Tom Mc and Blakey give Paddy a chop-out to cover him.
That's the Swans' system and player development.
I wonder if Paddy were still with us, would he fit into our new revitalised backline, supervised by the Assistant Coach of the year, Boris Enright?
Howard, Wilkie, Paton, Battle, Webster, Sinclair- who would Paddy displace?
Webster isn't as good as he used to be...but Paddy's not suited to his spot. And Battle does a lot more than Paddy ever could

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee