Paddy McCartin Comp

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Paddy McCartin Comp

Surely despite our dimwitted first choice. We let Paddy go under medical advice. I reckon the AFL should compensate us.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy McCartin Comp

It could only happen to the Saints

The curse is real

Good luck to Paddy though - Swans defence looks tight

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

What an amazing story. Has to be one of tbe stories of the year, Paddy is not only playing in a prelim, he's a massive part of how they got to the prelim. He played really well tonight.

A true inspiration for any child growing up with health challenges.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

paddy very good. hickey bloody excellent - gave max a bath tonight.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Good on him for resurrecting his career . IMO St.Kilda did the right thing after multiple head knocks some even seemed innocuous but still resulted in concussion so to me that suggested it would be very irresponsible if the club continued to play him knowing that a slight knock to the head would cause him to be concussed . We were stupid to pick him over Petracca in the first place but I just hope his long term health is not compromised by continuing to play but ATM seems to be travelling ok . I wish him all the best

Killa
Club Player

The dimwits are those who do not acknowledge the skill set of McCartin, and the reason he was a Number 1 Draft Pick

Laurie
Club Player

All the best Paddy so good to see you up and about playing great footy
Truly inspirational.
BOOM BOOM

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

How often do we need reminding about our institutional inability to think analytically before we change that situation.
How dumb are what passes for our brains trust and selectors.
If the review doesn't result in a number of analysts being moved on it is a waste of time. None more dumb than those that don't realise they are.
Makes me cry how inept they are.
Imagine, Paddy and Tim in grand final, Long and Hill at a rejuvenated North and we persist with Butler Higgins and Webster - good ol boys but just not up to what's required.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Killa wrote: Fri 02 Sep 2022 11:53pm The dimwits are those who do not acknowledge the skill set of McCartin, and the reason he was a Number 1 Draft Pick
No the dimwits as you call them are the ones who chose Paddy over Petracca

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Not one of Paddy's best games tonight, the mc cartins were a bit ordinary.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:22am Not one of Paddy's best games tonight, the mc cartins were a bit ordinary.
Paddy was very good, I can't comment on Tom as I was focusing heavily on Paddy when be was in shot. They didn't get the flashy intercept flow they have been getting but Paddy played smart as a defender, he's actually very agile and good at ground level with exquisite skills. He's the Swans Steven May. How handy would he be in our side.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Better to be punching from behind than getting punched in front.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s been good this year

Average from what I saw tonight

Only watched 3 quarters though

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

The Saints
Recruit broken down Hannebery for 4 seasons on reported big money, pay a reported sizable contract to a very average AFL player in Jones. Delist McCartin.

The Swans
Salary dump broken down Hannebery, move on an average player who was going nowhere, recruit MCartin as a rookie.

Classic St Kilda 😕

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

End the alignment with Sandringham as soon as possible. We need to start developing players. And we need to get them playing in a structured way - they don't come into the seniors ready to play. It is a career killer!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda needed to discard Hickey because Cho could see that Billy was going to tear it up as a player.

Cho saw special talent with Longer. We also had Pearce and Alabakis who Cho thought were quite handy as back up

McCartin had to make way. Cho was devastated that he couldn’t have Paddy smashing the packs. After all that was the role that Cho thought was the best fit for the chunky Full Forward…the plebs and average punter was thinking outside the square….but the head coach couldn’t

This thread below from 2017

viewtopic.php?p=1686112#p1686112

I think during 2019 the club was of firm opinion that the big Full Forward needed to be discarded and in late 2019 he was eventually delisted. After all we did secure Max King the year before and we were about to bring in Howard, Hill, Jones, Butler and Ryder. Oh…and surely Carlisle had about 3-4 years left of good footy too!

Saints thought of maybe keeping McCartin as a rookie for 2020…but that wasn’t going to work…how else were the Saints going to fit in Jack Bell?
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:35pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote: Fri 02 Sep 2022 11:27pm Surely despite our dimwitted first choice. We let Paddy go under medical advice. I reckon the AFL should compensate us.
We don’t deserve anything. Even if we got compensation, who’s to say we don't stuff it up. We need better people in charge or the same mistakes will just keep occurring.

E.g. Had to the chance to get Mark Choco Williams. Baulked because he wanted a five year contract. Ended up with Mr Vanilla for 5 and a half years.

Chose a medium sized player as a KP forward in 2014 as our number 1 draft pick (I say medium sized because of his height compared to other Key Position Forwards). A young draftee who was unable to present at the combine and a player with known fitness issues and known recovery problems due to his diabetes

Then a few years down the track we chose a guy with known chronic injury concerns to come to us from the Swans and pay a ridiculous amount for him. A player that another club is happy to discard for a modest 2nd round pick and a player they had seen who was on the decline in a very significant way in 2017 and 2018

I could go on but I won’t

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 11:04am End the alignment with Sandringham as soon as possible. We need to start developing players. And we need to get them playing in a structured way - they don't come into the seniors ready to play. It is a career killer!
Sandringham as a Football Club was not the problem. Our football development sucked because the previous Senior Coach and his assistants sucked! The people in charge prior to the last couple of years was the problem.

We have to create an environment where talented youth can come in and we have to build a core group that can grow together. Look at the Swans. You have guys who have now been there for five years or more together. They continually look to inject youth into their team and their academy and their development is first class

Instead of getting the foundations in place to set up the club for a sustained period and instead of looking to recruit skilled development staff we took short cuts at the end of 2019. It was a risky money-ball type strategy to save the careers of certain individuals at the club imo…at the expense of St Kilda’s long term chances of becoming a top 4 contender and a premiership hopeful.

What we got was a short sharp rise up the ladder in 2020, but it wasn’t based on solid foundations.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sandringham is basically our reserves

Coached by a stk development coach

Not sure the difference in having our own team other than cost

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey, call me crazy, but when players return to the seniors not being ready or capable to fit in with a team plan in the seniors on a regular basis, after a while, I blame the system - not the individual. And the system is at Sandringham.
It might have been alright to play in a sand dune back in the day, but I think it is best if our young talent and seniors battling for form play their games on a professional sporting ground, at Moorabbin.
The whole setup down there seems substandard for mine.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

When we have 8-10 injuries

Where exactly do players come from?… or do we play with 12 players?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 12:18pm
Bowey Boy wrote: Fri 02 Sep 2022 11:27pm Surely despite our dimwitted first choice. We let Paddy go under medical advice. I reckon the AFL should compensate us.
We don’t deserve anything. Even if we got compensation, who’s to say we don't stuff it up. We need better people in charge or the same mistakes will just keep occurring.

E.g. Had to the chance to get Mark Choco Williams. Baulked because he wanted a five year contract. Ended up with Mr Vanilla for 5 and a half years.

Chose a medium sized player as a KP forward in 2014 as our number 1 draft pick (I say medium sized because of his height compared to other Key Position Forwards). A young draftee who was unable to present at the combine and a player with known fitness issues and known recovery problems due to his diabetes

Then a few years down the track we chose a guy with known chronic injury concerns to come to us from the Swans and pay a ridiculous amount for him. A player that another club is happy to discard for a modest 2nd round pick and a player they had seen who was on the decline in a very significant way in 2017 and 2018

I could go on but I won’t
Hear here.....

I too lament not getting Choco ....he'll, we could STILL recruit him NOW if we'd choose not to waste
another season and a half before firing Ratts.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't see how on ability he went before DeGoey, Petracca, Brayshaw and even Wright. What were the recruiters looking at?
That was a complete Charlie Foxtrot. Abysmal!
Now everyone is calling him a success story at the Swans. What utter crap. I really couldn't care less how he plays. St Kilda showed how pathetic they were picking this guy up. Forget about DeGoey! Do some homework and pick up some decent kids in the draft. It can be done! That's how Melbourne rebuilt!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 3:08pm Hey, call me crazy, but when players return to the seniors not being ready or capable to fit in with a team plan in the seniors on a regular basis, after a while, I blame the system - not the individual. And the system is at Sandringham.
It might have been alright to play in a sand dune back in the day, but I think it is best if our young talent and seniors battling for form play their games on a professional sporting ground, at Moorabbin.
Is it though?

Our players come back from a preseason not in shape with a number that we’ve well and truly established really need to hit peak fitness and don’t…
That are then instantly rewarded despite subpar match fitness by coming straight in to the top 22…

And the argument is Sandy is the problem!

It’s not the conclusion I would draw

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 06 Sep 2022 11:59am
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 3:08pm Hey, call me crazy, but when players return to the seniors not being ready or capable to fit in with a team plan in the seniors on a regular basis, after a while, I blame the system - not the individual. And the system is at Sandringham.
Is it though?

Our players come back from a preseason not in shape with a number that we’ve well and truly established really need to hit peak fitness and don’t…
That are then instantly rewarded despite subpar match fitness by coming straight in to the top 22…

And the argument is Sandy is the problem!

It’s not the conclusion I would draw
But you are always looking for drama in all the wrong places. I can tell you with absolute certainty that Sandy is a shambles of a club. I have seen better facilities and resources at a country league club.

Don't always be lazy and assume it's one person's fault, leave that stuff for Woman's Day.