Club Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Club Review

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Club Review

Below is an email response of one I forwarded to the club on the weekend.

Thankyou for your feedback and email.

Our intention heading into this year was to make finals, and while not mathematically impossible, it’s now out of our hands which is not where we wanted to be.

There is still some footy to be played this year, and we hope the results will be in our favour but if this doesn’t come to fruition, we’ve seen some positive growth from our core players and as well as some important development from our youngsters.

The development work hasn’t been just limited to our first-year players – we have been embedding it throughout our program to get the most out of our players and it’s an area we want to continue to invest in.

The competition is tighter than ever, so we know that to have that finals success, we need to keep evolving and improving our program so we can bring sustained success to the club.

There have been some important learnings from this season, and we’ll be proactive in reviewing what did and didn’t work but for now, our focus if firmly placed on ending our season strongly against the Swans.

Everyone here at the football club, from the President, CEO and Senior Coach down, is committed to do everything they can to bring success to the Saints.

We’re not shying away from the fact that this season did not reach the outcomes we set for ourselves, and the expectations we know our fans rightly hold.

As such, we’ll be thorough assessing the season to see what improvements can be made to ensure we don’t continue to linger just outside the top 8.

If there is anything else that we can assist with, feel free to reach out.

Kind Regards,

chook23
Saintsational Legend

If David Noble involved ............My God

I know a couple of people who were at North (off field Jobs) last couple years

He is a complete tool

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Review WHY was Ratten re appointed so early

saint4life
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 8:55pm Below is an email response of one I forwarded to the club on the weekend.

Our intention heading into this year was to make finals, and while not mathematically impossible, it’s now out of our hands which is not where we wanted to be.

There is still some footy to be played this year, and we hope the results will be in our favour but if this doesn’t come to fruition, we’ve seen some positive growth from our core players and as well as some important development from our youngsters.

The development work hasn’t been just limited to our first-year players – we have been embedding it throughout our program to get the most out of our players and it’s an area we want to continue to invest in.

The competition is tighter than ever, so we know that to have that finals success, we need to keep evolving and improving our program so we can bring sustained success to the club.

There have been some important learnings from this season, and we’ll be proactive in reviewing what did and didn’t work but for now, our focus if firmly placed on ending our season strongly against the Swans.

Everyone here at the football club, from the President, CEO and Senior Coach down, is committed to do everything they can to bring success to the Saints.

We’re not shying away from the fact that this season did not reach the outcomes we set for ourselves, and the expectations we know our fans rightly hold.

As such, we’ll be thorough assessing the season to see what improvements can be made to ensure we don’t continue to linger just outside the top 8.

Kind Regards,
Corporate spin sandwich

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 8:55pm Below is an email response of one I forwarded to the club on the weekend.

Kind Regards,
Thanks Impatient.
Seems to me the email let's you know we won't make finals, development (of what?) is good notwithstanding we have a devil of a time holding on to a 3/4 time lead.
The people that are responsible for this failed season will assess their performances.
The Club would like to make finals.
It makes the bold statement we have expectations the side will make the finals. Not sure that's correct. Don't we just have immense hope which trumps experience.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Will this be a ‘review’ where the reviewer gets a plum job at the end of the process?

I’ve seen a few of those. In one of the last roles I worked in, the reviewer landed a very senior job in one of the key areas they were reviewing. It is a very well known public facing organisation too. A very corrupt process.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 9:07pm If David Noble involved ............My God

He is a complete tool
Interesting.

Can you expand, chook?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The last time there was a review was prior to Richo’s last year. Lethlean drove it and Richardson’s performance was not scrutinised. So zero faith in anything this admin does with regard to any “review”.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 9:07pm If David Noble involved ............My God

He is a complete tool
That’s not true. Not true at all.

Very knowledgeable in all things football.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 10:19pm The last time there was a review was prior to Richo’s last year. Lethlean drove it and Richardson’s performance was not scrutinised. So zero faith in anything this admin does with regard to any “review”.
I’m glad something is being done but agree not hugely confident in this admin and reviews
Eddie saying unrest from Prez - Lethlean/Gallagher put De Goey pitch to the Board and were told to go do some more work….which apparently Lethlean didn’t like and the Prez has decided - I’m sick of the internal advice I’m getting…think I need an external view.
Sounds good but let’s see - I’d ask Nobel to bypass Lethlean and report this directly to the Board so mates rates can’t interfere
Caro also chimed in that some at the club less than impressed with the club not asking Clarkson question…

Dopey Lloyd jumped in with “they’re all over the place at moment”…..hard to argue when you have senior coach vibe out say King doesn’t need external help….day later….”we are open to external help!!”
Embarrassing
Ratten should never have been reappointed
We are stuck now
At best - Lade /Rath need to go
I hope they have a go at someone like Caracella - in charge ball movement at Tigers now Bombers (killed us)

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Oh and FFS Sexton needs to go
Been around way too long
Clean up the place

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Oh and FFS Sexton needs to go
Been around way too long
Clean up the place

“Yeah….nah””
Saintly66
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 11:28pm Oh and FFS Sexton needs to go
Been around way too long
Clean up the place
How do you think I feel…he ran the footy program at my school back in 05…can’t escape the campaigner 😂

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 9:38pm Will this be a ‘review’ where the reviewer gets a plum job at the end of the process?

I’ve seen a few of those. In one of the last roles I worked in, the reviewer landed a very senior job in one of the key areas they were reviewing. It is a very well known public facing organisation too. A very corrupt process.
No vacancies? Still there can be other sweeteners for giving the results the CEO has already written. Hope it is fair dinkum and would like to see the TORs. Like all really hope it comes up with more than you can't help bad luck.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Been around way too long
Clean up the place
Do you know what Sexton does, does he do it well or does he do it badly ?

Or do you want him gone because Ross Lyin brought him to St Kilda ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

AFL has got involved here…..

Noble would have been due a payout from North.
AFL don’t want that so they find him work.

Magically…..St Kilda!!! Here you go, go to them.

Lethlean, Brad Scott style arrangement to save on payouts.

Absolutely stinks.

Why else would you employ someone that was so abysmal in their previous job and treated everyone like garbage?

You think Noble had no say in administration at North?
Half of the off field staff left because he and Amarfio micro-managed absolutely everything.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Noble highly regarded when he was GM at Brisbane?

Sure he was a failure at North as Coach but he pretty much adopted a big fat turkey and he really stood no chance ..... didn't seem to get buy in at North but he did at Brisbane in a different role

Also wasn't there an issue with Amarfio at Cricket Australia .... maybe he is the problem with North?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Been around way too long
Clean up the place
Totally agree Teflon, on 26 May 2018 I posted the following:

"Danny Sexton has been at the club since 2006 - that is 12 years and for much of that time he has had a key role in player development, he is currently Director of Coaching. According to Google Sexton was drafted by North Melbourne in 1990 but never actually got to play senior footy. Irrespective of his coaching qualifications, and no doubt he has done all the theory, I am amazed that he is considered to have the personal experience to be a coach at senior AFL level. I can't think of any AFL coach in the modern era who has not played at senior level who has been a successful AFL coach, and yet St Kilda appointed him as Director of Coaching, overseeing the entire coching panel!

Furthermore, in the 12 years that Sexton has been a key figure involved in player development, St Kilda's record in developing new and emerging talent, including a bunch of early draft picks, has by any measure been lamentable.
"

Sexton has cleverly slipped under the radar since then and it's only very recently I became aware that he is still there in a senior position on presumably big bucks as Head of Football Operations, and has taken Jaryd Roughead away from a direct role with the players as his deputy. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Let's see who gets "reviewed out" of Moorabbin.

I hope Noble has a quick flick through Hill's contract just to see if there was a "not to be dropped" clause inserted. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1201558/ ... ram-review

I cant believe Lethlean is to be part of the review, when he has managed the Football Dept for the past 4 years. Surely there is a conflict there?

The Noble appointment is a sound decision as although he struggled as a coach, he is highly thought of in the industry as a football administrator. Having overseen Adelaide's & Brisbane's rebuild and sucessful periods.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 10:59am
Been around way too long
Clean up the place
Totally agree Teflon, on 26 May 2018 I posted the following:

"Danny Sexton has been at the club since 2006 - that is 12 years and for much of that time he has had a key role in player development, he is currently Director of Coaching. According to Google Sexton was drafted by North Melbourne in 1990 but never actually got to play senior footy. Irrespective of his coaching qualifications, and no doubt he has done all the theory, I am amazed that he is considered to have the personal experience to be a coach at senior AFL level. I can't think of any AFL coach in the modern era who has not played at senior level who has been a successful AFL coach, and yet St Kilda appointed him as Director of Coaching, overseeing the entire coching panel!

Furthermore, in the 12 years that Sexton has been a key figure involved in player development, St Kilda's record in developing new and emerging talent, including a bunch of early draft picks, has by any measure been lamentable.
"

Sexton has cleverly slipped under the radar since then and it's only very recently I became aware that he is still there in a senior position on presumably big bucks as Head of Football Operations, and has taken Jaryd Roughead away from a direct role with the players as his deputy. UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Chris Fagan seems to be going OK.

older saint
SS Life Member

Noble seems a good football choice. Forget he wasn't very good as a coach or dealing with people that isn't what he is being contracted for.
His strength was/ is behind the scenes football stuff as mentioned with Adelaide and Brisbane. He also brings in an external view of the team from the opposition perspective as i am sure coaches talks about other teams with each other.

SL being involved is logical as he is the next CEO and needs to be involved to some extent- however he needs to be part of what is reviewed and step aside when he is under the microscope.

Just do it properly not the Essendon have recently which was a shamozzle

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 18 Aug 2022 11:53am https://www.saints.com.au/news/1201558/ ... ram-review

I cant believe Lethlean is to be part of the review, when he has managed the Football Dept for the past 4 years. Surely there is a conflict there?

The Noble appointment is a sound decision as although he struggled as a coach, he is highly thought of in the industry as a football administrator. Having overseen Adelaide's & Brisbane's rebuild and sucessful periods.
Lethlean is there to make sure the finger of blame doesn't point in his direction.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote: Wed 17 Aug 2022 11:25pm
I hope they have a go at someone like Caracella - in charge ball movement at Tigers now Bombers (killed us)
This