Positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Positives

Windhager, Owens and NWM. All will be good or even very good players.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Positives

bigcarl wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 1:03am Windhager, Owens and NWM. All will be good or even very good players.
Absolutely. In a rotten fkd up year, we can take away the 3 1st year players who have batted beyond their league.

Windy's en route to being a real good player - how many best Lachie Neal in a game? The kid did.

Ah, Michie. The kid's gonna be a star. Jeezarse, winning ruck contests? To go with up and back?

NW-M will be fine, just needs some robust midfield competitiveness on his 'inside'.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I though we fought hard

Matched it with them

Didn’t take chances

Last quarter
Double the i50s
5 behinds
Lions 4 Goals

Can’t win doing that!

Effort was good, maybe a bit flat in the second… but the Lions aren’t a bad side

It was a hot game!

Seb Ross - take a bow

Knockers - it’s about time you are some fkn humble pie!!!!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 3:06am I though we fought hard

Matched it with them

Didn’t take chances

Last quarter
Double the i50s
5 behinds
Lions 4 Goals

Can’t win doing that!

Effort was good, maybe a bit flat in the second… but the Lions aren’t a bad side

It was a hot game!

Seb Ross - take a bow

Was there tonight with a large group. Give the boys a bit of support. Thought the game was terrible and I have been a supporter/member since the 70s, probably 60s as a supporter actually. Seen a lot of ordinary matches over the journey but tonight's game for the most part was as boring as batsh1t. Third quarter was good but spoiled at the end of even that quarter by poor kicking.

The Lions were pretty poor tonight I thought. Apart from Wood for us and Rayner for them, I think both teams struggled.

The kicking for goal is a real concern and I would like to see the forward line dropped for the last game against the Swans to mix things up, except Higgo and Wood, so that players like Tom Campbell, Dan Hannebery, and Dean Kent can get a farewell game. Hannebery is best 22 anyway, and Campbell has at least earned his game. Kent is good for a couple of goals so that automatically makes him better than most of our current forwards.

There is no magic wand to fix the way our dysfunctional forward line fails to operate. I honestly think we are probably the worst team to watch at the moment and our ball movement is so slow. The number of times in the first half our players would run forward and there was nobody forward of the centre square was a joke and that is why Higgo had to kick that long goal when he did.

No, our forward line is embarrassing and any game plan which has no forwards in a teams front half at all is a joke in my opinion. I am a loyal person and made the journey to Geelong last week as well, but I fully understand why people turn off when forwards cannot convert from 20 meters out and the team only play one good quarter our of four every week.

Shocking game, shocking skills, and no discernable strategy that I could see either, and I am not the only one. We should have finished them off when we got in front tonight but failed to capitalize and going into another game next week with that same setup is crazy, Nothing is going to change by doing that.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We can all forget about the football for a while

... there are other things more important...As a wiseman said;
We still like to sing and laugh and have much good drinking and have sexytime with my wife and mistress. I like, Is nice! :mrgreen:

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Our forward set up is killing us. All year I have said that we must have three tall forwards ( not the occasional resting ruckman). When Sharman plays in the front half with King and Membrey it immediately starts to function.

I can't fathom what our coaches are thinking

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 3:06am I though we fought hard

Matched it with them

Didn’t take chances

Last quarter
Double the i50s
5 behinds
Lions 4 Goals

Can’t win doing that!

It was a hot game!

Seb Ross - take a bow

Agree on all points. Certainly Ross’ best year for a while. I certainly did think he was capable of getting back to and maintaining this form as he’s done. Humble pie for me. That said, I also stand by the criticism of when he was getting 15 possession games and doing a “role”, he could be better. He’s proven that

Have been very impressed with him. Think he’s had 1 average game all season and even then had 20+ touches

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

This is purely on a personal level, there isn't one supporter willing to pump Sharmans tires up. It was like we were playing with one man short. Has only been getting a game this year because we are so desperate to find some forwards who can play the game. Is not taking his opportunities which clearly he is being afforded way too many. Is way off the pace.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 9:25am This is purely on a personal level, there isn't one supporter willing to pump Sharmans tires up. It was like we were playing with one man short. Has only been getting a game this year because we are so desperate to find some forwards who can play the game. Is not taking his opportunities which clearly he is being afforded way too many. Is way off the pace.
Wasn’t he injured for like 1/2 the game
Copped a bad corky… started ok. Did one really brilliant play early and one stinker where he coughed up a goal.

Got hurt after that and was on the pine after that possibly until the last quarter? Came on late and was clearly there to block for King which he did quite well in a few occasions.
Commentators even mentioned it.

Was a bit of a non-factor but I reckon if Webster hadn’t got injured, he pbly gets subbed out.

It’s a pass from me

suss
Club Player

Add Ben Long to the list of positives. He was terrific last night.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 9:57am Add Ben Long to the list of positives. He was terrific last night.
Agreed. I had him in the votes. Thought he was fantastic

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Writing Sharman off? Amazing

takeaway
Club Player

suss wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 9:57am Add Ben Long to the list of positives. He was terrific last night.
Long? Really? After after one disposal and a hit on Rich by half time, Long had to improve. He did, but after Rainer's 1st goal in last (on Clark), Hunter had a break, and Long was on Rainer. Result? Within 30 secs, another Rainer goal. Long followed the ball into Bris forward line, ran needlessly into I think Hipwood & Howard with no regard for what his opponent was doing, fell over, and Rainer waltzed freely into goal from a handball over the top and gave Bris some breathing space. Next centre bounce, who had the first real possession? Rainer. Long was taken off him.

Hardly a terrific game.

He is a good pressure player and tackler, but that is about it. Needs to get more of the ball, and do more with it.

Even last week when he was in the game most quarters, had 14 possessions, but half of them were turnovers. Vs Eagles? - 5 possessions.

Playing for his career. May get another two years, but only depth imo.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Windy
Owens
King,nearly 50 for the year with the delivery he’s had
Hayes
Gresh
NWM (Swap him & our first round for Adelaide’s 1st +)
Sharman (Sort of)
Sincs
Crouch
Marshall
Wilkie
Really need some A grade midfield goal kicker ie Taranto
I’d try & get rid of Hill🤦‍♂️

PADDLEPOP1000
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yep. He put the fear of god into a few of those Brians. Led the charge back in the third quarter and not for the first time this season. 8-)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I liked Longs game
He broke lines on occasion
Hit the contest hard
Took a great grab and gave us spark
I also like Sharmans game - really spoils well and although he got injured his field kicking for game 4 in defence (where he’s been thrown to the wolves) was impressive
Anyway, delist away

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Check this out
perfectionist wrote: Fri 12 Aug 2022 9:31pm Long is useless.
Lol it was in the game thread

Lovelonglongtime

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I still think Sharman has massive upside for us, should start at FF and King at CHF , and mids instructed to kick it to either, whoever is free, instead of King everytime.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 8:59pm I still think Sharman has massive upside for us, should start at FF and King at CHF , and mids instructed to kick it to either, whoever is free, instead of King everytime.
Totally agree
If we had half smart mid/forward coach the kick ins to 50 would be instructed to kick it in front of the player not on their head
Force them to lead up at the footy ffs
Sharman is a natural lead up mark forward and against Carlton our forward line looked open and dangerous with King upfield and mobile

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Sharman is not big enough to be a kp and quick enough to not be a kp

Not at all sure what he is?

He’s definitely not a defender - Ratten wrong about that

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross is a ball hunting mid with elite hands and great endurance

2020 - asked to play as a Tagger - basically swapped roles with Steele - found out occasionally for pace off the mark but generally did his job.

2021 - Dunstan went inside which forced Ross to the Wing as a D-Winger- as a wing you are outside - in space on the run and use you kick more - not really Sebs go - although he did the role ok again

In BOTH roles you won’t get 25-30

You’ll get 20-25

Seb has been back in familiar territory- and his strength, gut running and quick hands

He is a ball winner

That’s where he won 2 TBAs

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 10:58pm I think Sharman is not big enough to be a kp and quick enough to not be a kp

Not at all sure what he is?

He’s definitely not a defender - Ratten wrong about that
Sharmans big enough to play that Fritz role out of square
He’s a forward with a leap
Similar size (not athletics) to J Riewoldt

“Yeah….nah””
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Sharman a better lead than Max, and is a very good mark, and more reliable kick. He at least will bring the ball to ground.

Why not try it?

He's not slow off the mark and frequently gets space.

Got to be better than Max vs 2 or 3.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Ratts has effectively one season to get us well into the 8. Otherwise we get a better coach. No further debate or spilt milk angst. It's done, die cast.
New, read much better, assistants.
The bull rhetoric of last 3 years won't cut it in 2023. We can look fwd to a new spiel and less expressions of frustrated cluelessness because same same will be laughed out of court.
It is obvious we have to get a real CHF.
Coffield
Pick 9 (?)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Agree Yorkeys
More of this crap next year
Unable to have a functional forward line
Inability to transition the footy
And Rattens gone - won’t make end year
Can take Rath with him

“Yeah….nah””