Sunday Footy Show on Ratten

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Sunday Footy Show on Ratten

Pretty damning.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sunday Footy Show on Ratten

Yep pretty much what many on here have been saying

The Fireman wrote: Sat 16 Jul 2022 3:14pm
Last edited by The Fireman on Sun 17 Jul 2022 6:14pm, edited 3 times in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Poor skills, poor decision making, poor set up, and poor game plan

The players are down on confidence and it all points to coaching. Both with the senior coach and the whole coaching set up.

Not sure what the contested numbers were, but it was ugly watching them control the game in that first half.

Ratten complains about the number of tackles. How the hell do you tackle when the other team are winning the footy and their ball movement is so quick? We simple failed to get our hands on the football. We got smashed in clearances and we just failed to put our heads over the football and win loose ground balls.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The analysis on the choices is interesting.
We look like we do the right thing and get players to the correct positions but the ball carrier makes the wrong choice.
Is that game plan or a panicked footballer?
The game plan seems to be there to have people in the right places to set up an attack but the ball carrier isn't making the right choice and utlising that.

Royston
Club Player

Gee that's a tough watch but bang on by the panel.
Seems from the outside we have backed Ratten so a few of his underlings may need
to be swapped out for some 'new' footy IP.
Obviously the list needs work also so they need to bite the bullet and make strong decisions on personnel.
I just hope that Damian Caroll's ability to develop isn't a 5 year plan and some of our younsters really
Start to grow into strong AFL players...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

This would’ve been seen by Ratten and many others at the club I’d love to know their reaction

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

At least no one on the footy show said the club looks like it's suffering from too much Rath. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 6:07pm The analysis on the choices is interesting.
We look like we do the right thing and get players to the correct positions but the ball carrier makes the wrong choice.
The game plan seems to be there to have people in the right places to set up an attack but the ball carrier isn't making the right choice and utlising that.
I don't know if you are right LLS, but it would be a good point to note, if you are. Some of those comments within that Sunday Footy Show segment about Butler and Webster suggest so. Let us mediate.......about Webster .. Remember what happened last week against Freo? It was frenetic football and we couldn't slow it down. Perhaps Webbie was following instructions afterall? Like say, stop and slow down. Don't rush down the line..etc.?

Just speculating.

lloyd is pretty honest. he may be a buffoon, or wooden but I'd say he isn't just shooting from the hip, in as much as we well and truly know the show is entertainment via Footy.

And fair play to all of us for asking why ratts had to be resigned right now, instead of the end of the season.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The repsonse to this public humiliation will be that the Saints belt WCE by sixty points next week and come off in body bags.

Due to ficture peculiarities they might even get back in the eight for a week.

Cue the defenders here claiming the team played for the coach and everything is look rosy again.

To be followed by five straight spiritless maulings.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

According to those past players the coach does make a difference

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Surprisingly looking forward to next Footy Classified.
Honest Lloyd and Ross should have some fun with Richmond and Caro the Witch. Tigers beaten in ridiculous manner by two lower clubs in successive weeks. Straight shooter Lloyd will bring up sacking the Tigers coach won't he, consistency and media integrity demand it , surely.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 6:07pm The analysis on the choices is interesting.
There is no doubt there are some poor decisions in that lot but if you listen to Lloyd (who I think would have some insight/knowledge..) this is coaching instruction
We deliberately went sideways first half constantly
Apparently on BF for those that went to training this is what we were practicing?? WTF?
One thing is certain abd the panels bang on - Rattens message is clearly not getting through
The players are a confused mess
I think Tony74 Rath has too much say is on the money
This “choose your own adventure” game plan to keep the opponents guessing ….only has our own players guessing
Whatever way you dress it up coaching is sub par (and ofcourse they have an impact - see Collingwood).
One thing else is certain; our Board have been utterly unprofessional and incompetent re-signing a coach who is on track to go backwards in every year he’s coached
Someone ought to go for that decision
Weak as p!ss
They should’ve told Ratten - you just get team to finals Brett, concentrate on that we’ll talk seasons end
And they definitely should have sounded Clarkson out.
It’s a business FFS run it like one not some in-house boys club where everyone pays each other on the back

“Yeah….nah””
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

11 tackles in a half of footy says a lot about how committed we were . Obviously they were not playing for the coach this week but you can't pick & choose at this level . So has the taxing game plan sucked the life out of them & now they have nothing to give or are we just not having a crack because it's too hard ? For what ever reason since the bye we have gone from chocolates to boiled lollies & it's really obvious we are not playing with same intensity but unfortunately our game plan is built around that & if we can't sustain that level of pressure we just can't compete with teams that can IMO anyway

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Nick Reiwoldt said club should actually talk to Clarko and his management, to sound him out.
Not with a view to torching Ratts, but to evaluate Clarko and work out whether Clarko might be good for us.
They owe it to the club to bring the best people in

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Will lose to WCE this week.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
JR23
Club Player

time to torch Ratten, you cant grow apple trees in the desert. its that or the watch the team and supporters wither over the next 2 and bit seasons

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Lloyd can stick up for his mate Kingy, I don't have a problem with that, what Loyd isn't highlighting though is how atrocious King has been since the bye, his output has fallen through the floor. It is evident in his really crappy attitude that literally sees him give up while in contest. If you ask me King's attitude has negativly impacted the team. Even our Captain has started sooking it up on the field.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Looking at our playing group in these recent losses, and there seems to be little spark in the group- no urging each other on, heads down when the contest is lost, I don't remember seeing the captain running to individuals and groups of guys and getting in their face etc etc. Ratts looks bewildered sitting in the coaches box. You just wonder where it's going next.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Vortex wrote: Mon 18 Jul 2022 9:29am Lloyd can stick up for his mate Kingy, I don't have a problem with that, what Loyd isn't highlighting though is how atrocious King has been since the bye, his output has fallen through the floor. It is evident in his really crappy attitude that literally sees him give up while in contest. If you ask me King's attitude has negativly impacted the team. Even our Captain has started sooking it up on the field.
I think the opposite , IMO the team is having a negative impact on King :wink:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Mon 18 Jul 2022 10:57am
Vortex wrote: Mon 18 Jul 2022 9:29am Lloyd can stick up for his mate Kingy, I don't have a problem with that, what Loyd isn't highlighting though is how atrocious King has been since the bye, his output has fallen through the floor. It is evident in his really crappy attitude that literally sees him give up while in contest. If you ask me King's attitude has negativly impacted the team. Even our Captain has started sooking it up on the field.
I think the opposite , IMO the team is having a negative impact on King :wink:
There is no question King is negative, if his shoulders get any lower to the ground they will get lower than his bottom lip.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

That clip is a very solid analysis of how we have become so incredibly poor.

I'm beyond embarrassed now. We'll probably pinch a few wins in the run home but it's now just a mess of a season, highlighted some pathetic efforts.

It's not good enough. The administration clearly thinks it is, however.

There's a huge chasm between the supporters of the club and the people running it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Mon 18 Jul 2022 2:40pm That clip is a very solid analysis of how we have become so incredibly poor.

I'm beyond embarrassed now. We'll probably pinch a few wins in the run home but it's now just a mess of a season, highlighted some pathetic efforts.

It's not good enough. The administration clearly thinks it is, however.

There's a huge chasm between the supporters of the club and the people running it.
I can only conclude that, ‘the administration’ is not a cogent unit, just different parts that combine to produce blind inertia.

SaintDippa
Club Player

What I don't get is all Season in bursts when slip into 5th gear we move, we flow, we excite, we score. Q3 Bombers, 15 min vs Geelong, R1 Pies hitting front Q4, Freo for three quarters in Perth/ a half on the Docklands and we were unstoppable vs Tigers and Hawks.
Not buying the queue in the rack Friday night. Long came on and ignited. The ball moved quick, the pressure returned, there were free players forward of the footy and Butler, Higgins, King could have kicked 7.
The question is why - like the sides above us - can't we turn on the aggressive movement for three+ quarters? Ratts instructions to slow it down or the players choosing to go into risk aversion mode?
When its on and we're running we're a top 4 side. (See ladder In May)
We are quick outside running side. For some reason someone is deciding (instructing) to play a movement style with the handbrake on.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Mon 18 Jul 2022 3:23pm What I don't get is all Season in bursts when slip into 5th gear we move, we flow, we excite, we score. Q3 Bombers, 15 min vs Geelong, R1 Pies hitting front Q4, Freo for three quarters in Perth/ a half on the Docklands and we were unstoppable vs Tigers and Hawks.
Not buying the queue in the rack Friday night. Long came on and ignited. The ball moved quick, the pressure returned, there were free players forward of the footy and Butler, Higgins, King could have kicked 7.
The question is why - like the sides above us - can't we turn on the aggressive movement for three+ quarters? Ratts instructions to slow it down or the players choosing to go into risk aversion mode?
When its on and we're running we're a top 4 side. (See ladder In May)
We are quick outside running side. For some reason someone is deciding (instructing) to play a movement style with the handbrake on.
My two cents.
They are trying to see if the Saints can calm the tempo of the game down, rather than ball to the wall, flat out…like against Freo in the first half…Because it is unsustainable for us..

BUt…

The frenetic game pace can smooth over the cracks we have in lack of skill and poor decision making. And so when we eventually tire, or the oppo team works out a way to set up against us better, we are then exposed and overrun?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I wonder if there's a bit of player rebellion in this - their reaction to the resigning.

With watters we had a lot of v influential senior players who just said 'no'. No players in that position today (jeez is that damning in itself - I can't think who in the whole team I'd call an 'influential player'!) So they express their dissatisfaction by playing in a literal 'you told me to do this, so I'm doing it and look it doesn't work' sort of way. i.e. see, the coach doesn't know what he's talking about.