Game plan worked out?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Fidelis
Club Player

Game plan worked out?

I read a comment this eeek that claimed our game plan had been worked out since the bye. Took me back to a comment by Nathan Buckley at Round 6 where he said that we were “mining a vein”, implying that whatever we were doing was working for now but would come to an end.
If it’s true that we’ve been ‘worked out’, what is it that other teams are not allowing us to do - or what weakness have they started exploiting?
Shut down Sinclair & Hill? Double team Max? Don’t let small forwards out the back?

Faithful Even Unto Death
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Game plan worked out?

This has happened year on year since 2017.

The problem is not the original game plan, it's the lack of a plan B or the ability to execute it.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Richo and now Ratts just don't seem to have tactical nouse, and unless we hire a tactician, then nothing much will change and we will be in the same position this time in 2023

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Rath is the tactician guy and according to Tony74 the players' heads are overflowing with confusing instructions.

Templar
Club Player

Fidelis wrote: Wed 13 Jul 2022 2:02pm If it’s true that we’ve been ‘worked out’....

what weakness have they started exploiting?
Intercept turnovers and run.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Rath seemed to do ok at Hawthorn

But yes, we do need to find a scapegoat

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think every teams Game Plan would be understood

It’s whether a team can execute it
Or
If an opposition can break it down

As with most game plans the work if you play better than the opposition- and they work better if you have good players to carry out the plan.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Crowd king in the fifty and tag our faster players. That’s about it, anything else is just rubbing salt into the wound

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Maybe over thinking it.
If we fumble ground balls, drop marks, over hand ball, kick turnovers and miss set shots I think you stuff yourself.

The opposition just need to encourage us to keep doing it.

Actually if they tried to stop our mythical game plan they could end up second guessing themselves.

Easier to let us implode.

So frustrating.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think all teams have an extremely similar game plan, game style, game instruction. The difference is (A) the players (B) the player's ability to execute via (i) talent (ii) development (iii) fitness (iv) desire

If someone can identify the precise differences in the alleged game plans of Melbourne, Brisbane, Geelong, Sydney, Richmond & Fremantle I'm all ears (eyes).

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

IMO it was pretty simple stop Max King & you stop St.Kilda . Triple teamed in most marking contests ,held ,blocked & arms chopped so many times but very few free kicks considering how often it happens. Because we don't have too many targets teams know that we will look for King & they exploit the fact we don't have too many other options. The Carlton game was the only game that King played high as a bit of a change in game plan & it actually worked Membrey found space the small forwards had a bit more time because King was drawing defenders away from the hot spot. The next week we go back to the long bomb to King & it didn't work . IMO we need to be a lot smarter in how our forward line functions, don't be so predictable change it up a bit when the initial game plan isn't working no point flogging the dead horse

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 13 Jul 2022 7:41pm Personally I think all teams have an extremely similar game plan, game style, game instruction. The difference is (A) the players (B) the player's ability to execute via (i) talent (ii) development (iii) fitness (iv) desire

If someone can identify the precise differences in the alleged game plans of Melbourne, Brisbane, Geelong, Sydney, Richmond & Fremantle I'm all ears (eyes).
You are right GL, with some slight variations.

Because of a lack leg speed to spread, our mids like to keep the ball in close and work from their inner circle. Teams that cut us up out of the middle eg Fremantle in the 2nd half, have the capacity to handball outside that inner circle to running players off defensive lines or wings. We most often give a short handball backwards and if that player is not free its another handball backwards then because they are all under pressure a scrubby kick forward which the opposition are setup waiting for.

Whats worrying is we make the same mistakes constantly and we do have other players available, but Ratten refuses to use them out of the middle. Its like he is more about mitigating losing a clearance than risking winning one? The other difference is our ability to change things up when they are obviously not working.

Teams know that apart from Butler or Long our forwards are not good defenders. They double/triple team King even when he is not for some reason Marshall or Membrey seem to want to take their opponent to the same contest.

Opposition get numbers behind the ball intercept then take off with over lap run and we become witches hats. Players like Higgins, Gresham, Billings, King, Membrey, Marshall, Ryder become a complete liability. They often tag Sinclair and put physical heat on Hill which affect also both their games.

Opponents have also learnt to separate Wilkie/Battle from Howard and they basically have a free channel to goal.

So although Ratten wants to play a similiar game to those mentioned, as you said he doesnt have the players for it or isnt switched on enough to change things before or during games.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 13 Jul 2022 7:37pm Maybe over thinking it.
If we fumble ground balls, drop marks, over hand ball, kick turnovers and miss set shots I think you stuff yourself.

Actually if they tried to stop our mythical game plan they could end up second guessing themselves.

So frustrating.
The Bombers worked us out very easily, even before the first bounce.
The fact that they'd only won 2 games prior, is proof that they aren't much good, but in our game, they executed a plan incredibly well.
It's a massive slight on our players and coaches that we were unable and/or unwilling to drag ourselves back into the game on our terms, and were impotent.

One poster on here who was at the Injectors game said that Stringer was unmarked and had no Saint anywhere nearby, for a long time, patrolling the CHB (our CHB spot).

More than any other team in the comp, we are our own worst enemy.

Need to get their heads right, asap.
We did a review last year, it's a disgrace that these highly paid athletes can behave like amateurs

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 13 Jul 2022 7:41pm Personally I think all teams have an extremely similar game plan, game style, game instruction. The difference is (A) the players (B) the player's ability to execute via (i) talent (ii) development (iii) fitness (iv) desire

Our game plan for mine looks vary similar to most, in fact it's interesting listening to all the chatter about how Geelong have tweaked their game plan which to me sounds almost what Ratts is trying to achieve which is convince the players to be bold with their kicks, take the risky inboard option every now and then to try and get over the zone coming out of defence. The big difference between our side and Geelong's --they have more players capable of executing the risky inboard kick.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 8:34am

Our game plan for mine looks vary similar to most, in fact it's interesting listening to all the chatter about how Geelong have tweaked their game plan which to me sounds almost what Ratts is trying to achieve which is convince the players to be bold with their kicks, take the risky inboard option every now and then to try and get over the zone coming out of defence. The big difference between our side and Geelong's --they have more players capable of executing the risky inboard kick.
Agree Vortex its all about the speed of ball movement. If we are forced to play the slow kick mark game, it gives the opposition time to crowd our forward line and pick off the obvious bomb forward.

If we can move it quickly it gives our forwards a chance to lead up at the ball, but because we have been held up across the wings it rarely happens.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 8:34am

Yes yes our game plan looks mirror image of Demons and almost carbon copy of Swans defensive style..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 14 Jul 2022 12:42am
Yorkeys wrote: Wed 13 Jul 2022 7:37pm Maybe over thinking it.

So frustrating.
The Bombers worked us out very easily, even before the first bounce.
The fact that they'd only won 2 games prior, is proof that they aren't much good, but in our game, they executed a plan incredibly well.
It's a massive slight on our players and coaches that we were unable and/or unwilling to drag ourselves back into the game on our terms, and were impotent.

One poster on here who was at the Injectors game said that Stringer was unmarked and had no Saint anywhere nearby, for a long time, patrolling the CHB (our CHB spot).

More than any other team in the comp, we are our own worst enemy.

Need to get their heads right, asap.
We did a review last year, it's a disgrace that these highly paid athletes can behave like amateurs
Nup
Apparently all game plans are the same it’s purely list skill

“Yeah….nah””
saint6709
Club Player

Our game plan is brilliant and will never be worked out or emulated by an opposition side

Our entire football department is aware of this

Bomb it long to tall a forward line, out mark the smaller competition, kick goals and win

Because we are 2 steps ahead of any opposing team and their football departments we know they will never think of that- which gives us the opportunity to double down with an equally ingenious plan of only having small defenders on our list

Bloody brilliant!!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Still waiting on someone to explain the differences in these game plans. Anywho, it's nearly next week, let's see some effort eh?