Play the game and forget about the umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Play the game and forget about the umpiring

We won tonight because of effort and because of work rate

We won tonight because of good coaching and good planning and good execution of the game plan

We won because players were switched on and our pressure and our flare and our contest work was good from the first bounce

We won tonight despite the umpiring

The free kick count usually doesn't matter. Richmond have proven this by winning 3 of the last 5 flags

If you ever want an example of a match where there are numerous contests where the Saints players are penalised and it doesn't matter this was the game

Well done to the leadership at the club and the leaders on field. \

Our players need to learn from this. Don't play for frees and don't worry about frees. Worry about winning the footy and getting it to a team mate

Saintmike65
Club Player

Re: Play the game and forget about the umpiring

Fully agree…if you watch the replay the umpiring wasn’t too bad, reality is we give away a lot of high tackle fees that need to be sorted.
There were a few umpiring blunders but that happens every game.
The spread of goalkickers was pleasing and needs to be a future focus.
Just goes to show we don’t have to go through Max all the time to get results.

Premium89
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 4:27pm Just goes to show we don’t have to go through Max all the time to get results.
Well I mean, we’d obviously get the best results if we don’t have to rely on any single player to get the job done.

But I’m sure all of us saints fans would be stoked for max to grab a game by the throat and kick 8+! Not holding my breath for it.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Premium89 wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 4:44pm
Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 4:27pm Just goes to show we don’t have to go through Max all the time to get results.
Well I mean, we’d obviously get the best results if we don’t have to rely on any single player to get the job done.

But I’m sure all of us saints fans would be stoked for max to grab a game by the throat and kick 8+! Not holding my breath for it.
Rather he kicks 3 plus 5 assists!!

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

This is a curious sentiment, it seems to me.

Some years ago Dermie made the preposterous statement, "Umpiring has never decided the result of a match."

It's the sort of half-baked but porovaocative declaration that gains traction, however, and sure enough it was repeated for a long time afterwards by impresionable pundits.

Now it's true the Tigers have been successful in rceent years despite being pummeled by the unmpires, and for that you have to tip your hat to them.

Neverthless it's completely illogical to say that consistently biased umpiring cannot make a crucial difference to your team's season, just like severe tribunal verdicts and a punishing fixture.

It might be the difference between making the eight and missing out. Getting a double chance or not. And, in the case of the Bulldogs in 2016, getting free ride all the way through to a flag.

For all that, there's little you can do but get on with it. And lodge the occasional protest to the AFL.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Dermie couldn't have been at Victoria Park in 1970.

Harry Beitzel admitted on TV that night that Jolley had determined the outcome of the game.

You know what, I still get angry about that game. Doesn't pay to have a long memory, sometimes.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Tigers giving away free kicks was part of their game plan ... as well as holding up the ball after giving away the free kick so they could structure up defensively

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 8:30pm This is a curious sentiment, it seems to me.

Some years ago Dermie made the preposterous statement, "Umpiring has never decided the result of a match."

It's the sort of half-baked but porovaocative declaration that gains traction, however, and sure enough it was repeated for a long time afterwards by impresionable pundits.

Now it's true the Tigers have been successful in rceent years despite being pummeled by the unmpires, and for that you have to tip your hat to them.

Neverthless it's completely illogical to say that consistently biased umpiring cannot make a crucial difference to your team's season, just like severe tribunal verdicts and a punishing fixture.

It might be the difference between making the eight and missing out. Getting a double chance or not. And, in the case of the Bulldogs in 2016, getting free ride all the way through to a flag.

For all that, there's little you can do but get on with it. And lodge the occasional protest to the AFL.
Strange how you interpreted my post to mean something slightly different to what I posted

You came round to a logical way of thinking in the end though :wink: