Ratts contract to be extended

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Ratts contract to be extended

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ratts contract to be extended

I’d have preferred to wait a bit longer though there’s not really any specifics detailed.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 26 May 2022 10:56pm I’d have preferred to wait a bit longer though there’s not really any specifics detailed.
Agree but if they are set on giving him a new contract then 2 years (maybe with a 3rd trigger)

Keeps the pressure on him to perform

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

ALL IN

good
(imo)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Silly
No need to pull trigger now
Second half season will really test us why not wait a bit longer?
Knee jerk reaction

“Yeah….nah””
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Bring Robert Harvey home!!!

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 12:08am Silly
Knee jerk reaction
Agree. Let the year play out. Sure we are looking heaps better, but let's see how we look after another 6 rounds.
Did the same administration not make the same mistake with Richo? Extend him prematurely for too long and he ended up dragging us down.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

st.byron wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 1:27am
Knee jerk reaction
Agree. Let the year play out. Sure we are looking heaps better, but let's see how we look after another 6 rounds.
Did the same administration not make the same mistake with Richo? Extend him prematurely for too long and he ended up dragging us down.
Richo was far too stubborn and not a natural coach.
He didn't seem flexible nor able to listen to advice from others.

Ratts is a far more genuine character, more of a human, and he seems more adaptable and can take advice.

Just my 2 cents

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I see nothing wrong with extending his contract. For those criticising it, are you waiting for the messiah Alistair Clarkson? Sam Mitchell has Hawthorn playing better football now that Clarkson has departed. Clarkson had huge success with an extraordinarily talented playing list. When that playing list became bog average, so did his results.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 6:59am I see nothing wrong with extending his contract. For those criticising it, are you waiting for the messiah Alistair Clarkson? Sam Mitchell has Hawthorn playing better football now that Clarkson has departed. Clarkson had huge success with an extraordinarily talented playing list. When that playing list became bog average, so did his results.
+1. We don't want any messiahs, only Nasiahs.

Although I think you are underestimating Clarkson's ability as a coach. Hawthorn had a mixed playing list: some superstars, and quite a few run of the mill players. Clarkson developed a strong game plan and then sorted through the ordinary performers to find the ones that delivered the most against that plan. It was what Lyon was trying to do at St Kilda, but Clarkson achieved better results with a list that, man for man, wasn't much better than ours at that time, if at all.

I have nothing against Clarkson. But history showws that sacking a coach who is performing reasonably well and who has bonded with the players with a "supercoach" is a risky business. It worked brilliantly with Leigh Matthews at Brisbane, and brought the Pies a premiership under Malthouse. But it has also failed more than once: a pertinent example being Malthouse at Carlton after Ratten was sacked.

If we look at the most successful coaches in recent years, the majority have either developed their lists more or less from scratch and then taken them to glory - eg, Goodwin, Hardwick, Beveridge, Clarkson, Bomber Thompson, etc. - or have taken over a premiership-winning list and kept the good times coming: eg, Longmire and Chris Scott. St Kilda has never had sufficient success or patience to be able to try out the second of these pathways, so I reckon the first is the way for us to go.

It's therefore terrific that we are choosing to give Ratten a big vote of confidence at this time. It will allow him to focus 100% on the best interests of the team and the club, without having to spare a thought for protecting his own back.

I'm just so impressed with how the club is being run ATM.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

solidarity

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Maybe this is great media spin - at a time when Nth Melb are being smashed in the media just before our game - we announce a good news story saying we are stable and business as usual [as well as Jack Hayes contract announcement] - it was probably always the plan - but the timing could be very clever

Also - coming into the bye - just to emphasise the need to focus on every game.

PS - I also ascribe to the fact that it is all things combined that produce results - great coach with no buy in - poor results - average coach with great players can be more successful - see Malthouse example above

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Interesting point ...... how many recycled non-winning premiership senior coaches with their first team have ever gone on to coach a Premiership at their new team?

Robert Walls (1987 with Carlton) coached Fitzroy before Carlton and never won a premiership with them

Not many it seems ..... not saying it can't happen again of course but history seems against Ratten

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Knee jerk reaction
In the context of most pundits predicting we would be a bottom 4 side, (bottom 8 at best) before R1, Ratts is possibly leading the pack for coach of the year presently.

We've had significant improvement in nearly every player on the list this year with a sizeable list of players in career best form. Our game plan seems to suit this list and the club just has a general feel good vibe to it. So either Ratts is in the right place at the right time or he's turning out to be a good coach.

Personally I think it's a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B. I think he's inherited a stable legacy from Richo as well as the structure above and around him seems to be filled with a high degree of competence.

But above all else our luck with injury has been the best it's been for over a decade and that really helps a coach so if that changes then that could expose a fragility that exists in our list. Also how we go while Steele is out will also test our onfiled leadership which has also seen massive improvement this year and which was historically an atrocious attribute of this list. Are these improvements due to the coach?

Put it this way, if Ratts can get this bunch to top 4 this year then he's coach of the decade because I personally didn't think we'd be anywhere near the top 8 after how things played out in 2021.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 9:28am
But above all else our luck with injury has been the best it's been for over a decade and that really helps a coach so if that changes then that could expose a fragility that exists in our list. Also how we go while Steele is out will also test our onfiled leadership which has also seen massive improvement this year and which was historically an atrocious attribute of this list. Are these improvements due to the coach?
Not sure I agree with our luck on the injury front - Currently:
Nick Coffield ACL Season
Dan Hannebery Calf Indefinite
Jack Hayes Knee Season
Jack Higgins H&S protocols 1 week
Jack Steele Shoulder 5-7 weeks

Also a few carrying niggles and some suspensions - Clarke has been out for half a season - Higgins has lost a few days from Concussion protocols etc

I think we have done well DESPITE the injuries

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 9:20am Interesting point ...... how many recycled non-winning premiership senior coaches with their first team have ever gone on to coach a Premiership at their new team?

Robert Walls (1987 with Carlton) coached Fitzroy before Carlton and never won a premiership with them

Not many it seems ..... not saying it can't happen again of course but history seems against Ratten
Wasn’t sure what you meant so I just checked and yeah…Premiership winning Carlton Coach in 1987 was Robert Walls

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Walls

If Fitzroy had as much money as other VFL clubs, who knows…Walls may have won a flag there too. They were my second favourite team. So many of my favourite footy players from the 80’s played with the Roy Boys. I suppose I needed to follow a team that could at least make finals.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Knee jerk reaction
I think he's inherited a stable legacy from Richo as well as the structure above and around him seems to be filled with a high degree of competence.
The hierarchy was so pleased with the stable legacy from the previous coach they gutted the playing list and gave the captaincy to a bloke that Richo had on the fringes of our first 22 in Richo’s last full season (in 2018). Not to mention that the football development area at the club needed a total overhaul and we restructured the recruiting team

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The only ones possibly not too happy with this would be players ranked in the 20 to 26 bracket of the selection pecking order (not counting 1st / 2nd year players). They will either seek trades at year's end or they must bite the bullet and simply get better. Either way the club wins.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I wasn’t around these parts when Ricoh’s contract was extended.
What was the general mood of the forum about his re-signing then?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 9:41am
Nick Coffield ACL Season
Jack Hayes Knee Season

Also a few carrying niggles and some suspensions - Clarke has been out for half a season - Higgins has lost a few days from Concussion protocols etc

When is this new bloke Hannebery going to debut?...sorry I couldn't' help myself.

So goodish luck then up until Steele and Higgins very recent injuries, I'd argue we didn't look so good against the Crows due to Steele being out so that sought of goes to my point about the fragility of our list. Time will tell if it is in fact a fragile list in terms of only needing one or two players going down with injury and the team's subsequent performance being significantly impacted. They have passed most test this year so hears hoping we have matured in that department too.

Do you have a cellarable wine in the rack in anticipation of the wholly grail SD? If we keep trending like we are it might be drinkable in the next year or so.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 9:54am
Knee jerk reaction
I think he's inherited a stable legacy from Richo as well as the structure above and around him seems to be filled with a high degree of competence.
The hierarchy was so pleased with the stable legacy from the previous coach they gutted the playing list and gave the captaincy to a bloke that Richo had on the fringes of our first 22 in Richo’s last full season (in 2018). Not to mention that the football development area at the club needed a total overhaul and we restructured the recruiting team
Yeah I'm in the camp that Richo didn't leave the place a basket case and from all accounts most people in the industry agree. Doesn't mean he was worlds best coach, just means he did more good than not and the transition for Ratts was smooth and was able to hit the ground running.

Just like Bolton left the Blues in good shape and Voss has also been able to hit the ground running.

An example of not good shape = North Melbourne. The next coach is going to be starting from less than zero.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

mmmmmm

my memory is of a ... thoughtful , planned transition

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 9:41am
Nick Coffield ACL Season
Jack Hayes Knee Season

Compare that to West Coast then talk hard done by
Ratts has had a good run

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Knee jerk reaction
In the context of most pundits predicting we would be a bottom 4 side, (bottom 8 at best) before R1, Ratts is possibly leading the pack for coach of the year presently.

We've had significant improvement in nearly every player on the list this year with a sizeable list of players in career best form. Our game plan seems to suit this list and the club just has a general feel good vibe to it. So either Ratts is in the right place at the right time or he's turning out to be a good coach.

Personally I think it's a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B. I think he's inherited a stable legacy from Richo as well as the structure above and around him seems to be filled with a high degree of competence.

Put it this way, if Ratts can get this bunch to top 4 this year then he's coach of the decade because I personally didn't think we'd be anywhere near the top 8 after how things played out in 2021.
Can’t agree on Richo stable legacy guff
Ratten to his credit has pilfered Hawks coaching ranks/brains trust
Lethlean got recruiting gun in whose made astute choices
Richos “legacy” was beige football where Newnes was picked every week ….
Not a good reference

“Yeah….nah””
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

As a unabated Ratts fan, I believe its the right move by the club. I really do believe that with some luck and continued smart recruiting Ratts is the man to take us all the way. Go Saints!