Changes v North

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v North

Laurie wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 11:39am Long applies the pressure and toughness we need in the side.
Have said it before hurts with his tackles has opponents looking over their shoulder and is quick .
Unlike some in our side (not mentioning names) however soft as marshmellows .
BOOM BOOM
People who criticise the selection of Ben probably missed a moment in the game last week when Brad Hill kicked a goal for us at a crucial time in the game when Adelaide had all the momentum in that second quarter...No...Actually, I'd say they definitely missed it!!

The effort by Long created the opportunity for us to score and it lifted the team. It just kept us within reach and stopped their momentum. It also sent a message to the rest of the playing group that we needed players to put their bodies on the line if we were going to win.

Long went back with the flight and just got his hand on the ball enough to spoil the footy which was going to be marked by an Adelaide player. He intercepted because of his footy smarts and his speed and he had the courage to keep his eyes on the ball even though he knew he could've copped a knee in his back or copped a hit to the back of the head.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

What time in the 2nd qtr? I don't wanna look thru all of Kayo

Edit: found it easily in Saints App, under videos, 'All the Goals'

It happened in the 2nd with 4:15 remaining
Last edited by WellardSaint on Fri 27 May 2022 8:03pm, edited 2 times in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 7:32pm
Laurie wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 11:39am Long applies the pressure and toughness we need in the side.
Have said it before hurts with his tackles has opponents looking over their shoulder and is quick .
BOOM BOOM
People who criticise the selection of Ben probably missed a moment in the game last week when Brad Hill kicked a goal for us at a crucial time in the game when Adelaide had all the momentum in that second quarter...No...Actually, I'd say they definitely missed it!!

The effort by Long created the opportunity for us to score and it lifted the team. It just kept us within reach and stopped their momentum. It also sent a message to the rest of the playing group that we needed players to put their bodies on the line if we were going to win.

Long went back with the flight and just got his hand on the ball enough to spoil the footy which was going to be marked by an Adelaide player. He intercepted because of his footy smarts and his speed and he had the courage to keep his eyes on the ball even though he knew he could've copped a knee in his back or copped a hit to the back of the head.

Great pick up and well said.

ps. I didn't miss it.

And for BOOM BOOM's information, there are no soft players playing senior AFL. Anyone with half a clue knows that FFS. :roll:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

If a single moment in a game means a player keeps their spot then JB must be scratching his head. I like the decision regarding Billings & I really hope that benchmark continues because we will challenge Melbourne.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 7:47pm
BOOM BOOM

ps. I didn't miss it.

And for BOOM BOOM's information, there are no soft players playing senior AFL. Anyone with half a clue knows that FFS. :roll:
Look I feel awkward talking footy with you in any serious context but you need correcting here Stinga, we have had an issue with marshmallows in recent times, aka bruise free kick chasers, I'm going to be controversial here and go as far as saying Billings has probably lost his spot in the side for being a marshmallow.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 8:07pm
BOOM BOOM

ps. I didn't miss it.

Look I feel awkward talking footy with you in any serious context but you need correcting here Stinga, we have had an issue with marshmallows in recent times, aka bruise free kick chasers, I'm going to be controversial here and go as far as saying Billings has probably lost his spot in the side for being a marshmallow.
I see you have the bait on the double hooks

'stinga' on the line and 'marshmallow' on the line

He should bite on one of those you'd reckon

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 8:13pm
BOOM BOOM

ps. I didn't miss it.

I only use circular hooks these days, you catch way more fish, you can even use marshmallows for bait, they are that good.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I think missing 8 weeks of footy and no preseason have limited his impact. As is the case with a lot of returning players they go ok in the first game and then drop off. Id guess that his GPS results were well down on top of his average game stats and they have given him a couple of weeks to get his running up again.

Its a good message to send to the senior players, that any drop off wont be tolerated. Plus it rewards the kids for their efforts in the VFL.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Really pleased with the interchange mix, plus the selection panel had the balls to drop Billings.
Owens will provide well needed midfield depth and a different look forward of centre.
Hope they stick with Sharman, as he provides another avenue to goal.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Our forward half defensive game was pretty ordinary against Adelaide, and Billings as a senior player should have probably done better.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I applaud the honchos for dropping Billings. It’s fine by me. He is way, way more skilled than our bottom ten players, but he isn’t a factor. I think Long is riding the magic carpet ..and good on him for it. It probably won’t last forever unless he can be creative and not destructive. But for now, I am sure they are either impressed with his behavior and his haircut.

DMac, Webster….I don’t know if they can stop Lienert and Highmore for much longer.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Laurie
Club Player

Spot on Vortex
BOOM BOOM

Laurie
Club Player

DMac has surprised a number of people including myself this year has done well i believe in the games he has played not skilled however offers a contest.
That is all a coach can ask for.
BOOM BOOM.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BOOM BOOM

It was good football but nothing special.
He needs to do more than get 4 disposals.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

good to see players cant get games on reputation. a few will be on notice after last week. long squarely amongst them, but he at least provides a lot more pressure and one percenters than billings - in other words he leaves nothing out there. billings always looks like he has more to give. next chance he'd better give it.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
axcellence
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 11:48pm good to see players cant get games on reputation.
Long before Billings... there must be something more than what meets the eye here.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I wonder how Billings will respond.
Got a bit of the vibe of Dal Santo being dropped to the seconds about it.
Did the trick for Dal, he was cruising far too much.
JB will work his way back , so too Clark, but both need to be more desperate when they haven't got the ball.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 11:10pm
BOOM BOOM

Disagree with your first sentence

Agree with your second

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 28 May 2022 1:16am I wonder how Billings will respond.
Got a bit of the vibe of Dal Santo being dropped to the seconds about it.
Did the trick for Dal, he was cruising far too much.
JB will work his way back , so too Clark, but both need to be more desperate when they haven't got the ball.
Tell me one time when JB has shown desperation.
Never!
Ever!

He is a cool cat.
That's it.

He can't do more.

he sips the Espresso, on the half-back flank.

he stretches his arms across the boundary and pulls in a great overhead

He drops a lace out into 50.

He pounces on the odd ball

he is aloof

a cool cat

it aint gonna happen

he is a cool cat

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

BOOM BOOM

💯👍 Agree
Teams that get into finals and win finals- that sort of effort is standard.
I know Hill pointed straight to Long after the goal, and Long jumped into the group of 5-6 guys around Hill.
That effort is probably one of the standards of a typical top 4 team.
Skill and fitness are givens, they're essential, but absolute desire, greater than your opponent, should get you over the line

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 28 May 2022 1:50am
BOOM BOOM

💯👍 Agree
Teams that get into finals and win finals- that sort of effort is standard.
I know Hill pointed straight to Long after the goal, and Long jumped into the group of 5-6 guys around Hill.
That effort is probably one of the standards of a typical top 4 team.
Skill and fitness are givens, they're essential, but absolute desire, greater than your opponent, should get you over the line
Hill got 6 last time against North.

People bayed for his blood.

He was given a hard tag all day.

If Long gets 4 possies, always remember, it's Hill's fault.

groupie1
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 22 May 2022 12:34pm
Crossy66 wrote: Sun 22 May 2022 11:16am We missed a Steele "like for like".
Either Bytel or Owens for NSM based on sandy game today.
Clark may need to come in and based on last night, we could drop any one of about 10 under performers.
I think those that have some credits in the bank might get a reprieve.
Agreed it’s a question of who comes out

I think Long, Billing’s etc get another crack at it due to points in bank
Wood just doesn’t do enough for me
Webster- struggle to lockdown small forward like Patton can…if Highmore plays well today you’d have to have a look
NWM just needs time in twos to get balance between I sure/outside right (he looked lost to me last night). Right now Windhager doing enough inside/outside to retain his spot

Clarke/Higgins are certainties to come in
We desperately need another Steele/inside replacement to help Crouch ….Bytel been around a while….MUST step up now …
Owens has time
I’d love Connolly to also bob up with a cracking game I really rate good users and he’s one!
I like this post. Connolly isn't in great form but for me he's a 'must play' player.
For me it would be Byrnes, Clark, Higgins, Connolly, Highmore for Wood, Webster, Long, Billings and NWM who looks like he needs a rest.
Sincs to go mid.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 8:13pm
BOOM BOOM

ps. I didn't miss it.

Not a marshmallow's hope in hell mate. I don't respond to posters I have no f****** respect for and certainly not when they address their posts to a "stinga".