Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Billings

As I have said before

A HF who can average 20 and a goal per game is like gold!!!!

He’s not a mid who runs around gathering possessions

He is playing the tough position around and his output for that position is almost elite!
Especially if he converted

What did he have?
22 and a goal - typical game
A a f****** gutsy mark running flat out backward

He IS NOT an inside bull… he’s a high production HF with good skills - name the HFs in the AFL that average 20?!

Quality player
Should’ve been in the side a week earlier!!!

Kids like Nasiah are ok, 15 odd touches, contribute and aren’t bad, furthermore are gaining experience
But aren’t going to consistently produce the same output as a seasoned Jack Billings or Jade Gresham

Trixilver
Club Player

Re: Billings

He can be valuable that's for sure, gets to good places. He should give off his set shots though!

Winmar
Club Player

That mark he took was magnificent. It required a lot of skill and balls. He's a great addition to the side.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Always thought that he is the sort of player who will get better in a better side.
Now we have players doing the grunt work, he will mix in with the silk players and give us more class.
Very gutsy mark, totally exposed to a massive hot but did not waver.
One of the hardest things to do in sport I reckon.
Up there with facing a genuine quick bowling bouncers....every part of your nervous system wants to get out of there.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Something I have been critical of with regards to Billings is him not stepping up when the opposition is getting a run-on. That on-field leadership to make a statement of "not on my watch", that competitive beast and want to be first to the contest when the whips are cracking, the ability to take a hit when it's "your turn", and just a general angry and determined look about being pissed off about the opposition getting on top of us. These types of acts were what I wanted to see more of from Jack but he always seemed to go missing in those moments.

Well credit where credit is due, he delivered on that against the Cats. He showed real leadership and he was one of the players that looked like he wanted the win desperately and yes it was evident in that gutsy mark running flatout backward.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I’ve been a big critic of Billings and for the most part on Saturday he played well. No arguments here.

HOWEVER. I will say it again. He was drafted as an elite kick. He missed 2 crunch goals in the last quarter. He starts kicking them, I’ll shut up. We’re talking about a bloke who has played 8 seasons, was a top 5 draft pick and is very well remunerated. Let’s see him perform consistently when the whips are cracking and let’s see him kick some crunch goals

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 12:33am As I have said before

A HF who can average 20 and a goal per game is like gold!!!!

He’s not a mid who runs around gathering possessions

He is playing the tough position around and his output for that position is almost elite!
Especially if he converted

What did he have?
22 and a goal - typical game
A a f****** gutsy mark running flat out backward

He IS NOT an inside bull… he’s a high production HF with good skills - name the HFs in the AFL that average 20?!

Quality player
Should’ve been in the side a week earlier!!!

Kids like Nasiah are ok, 15 odd touches, contribute and aren’t bad, furthermore are gaining experience
But aren’t going to consistently produce the same output as a seasoned Jack Billings or Jade Gresham
Thanks for the revelation that Billings is a good footballer and will provide more consistent output than an 18 year old 7 game recruit.

Thank f#ck you called Ratts and talked him into selecting Jack this week 👍

Lucky they did not rush him back before he was ready, proper preparation has paid dividends.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Billings has been a guaranteed selection in the side for the last 6-7 years. And deservedly so. Maybe being a spectator while injured and playing at Sandy has got back his hunger.

He looked as engaged in the contest as he ever has been on Saturday arvo.

A fit and fired up JB is a big addition.

Killa
Club Player

What is missing is that Billings has always taken marks such as that

Runs the flank forward and back - aka Acres

Their work rate goes not noticed, the focus instead on the goals they kick

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 9:30am Billings has been a guaranteed selection in the side for the last 6-7 years. And deservedly so. Maybe being a spectator while injured and playing at Sandy has got back his hunger.

He looked as engaged in the contest as he ever has been on Saturday arvo.

A fit and fired up JB is a big addition.
You nailed the word..."engaged". His engagement looked intense and hellbent on victory.

That's what's frustrated about Billings in past gamea when the whips were cracking during (important) periods of said games.

Now let's see him deliver on that consistently, and more importantly, when the team needs it the most.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 9:56am What is missing is that Billings has always taken marks such as that

Runs the flank forward and back - aka Acres

Their work rate goes not noticed, the focus instead on the goals they kick
+1

Seen JB, lean up, off balance and pull in some rippers at half back squeezed up against the boundary. I really think he could do a somewhat of a Jack Sinclair on us, as long as his hammies can hold out.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
repta
Club Player

the Saints need his class, he finds time and space and hits targets (except between the sticks).

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yeah it’s not a huge revelation that Billings is class and clearly top 22

The challenge for him IMO, is that we haven’t often said Billings has had a great year. He’s had a number of great games, patches of great form and a half a season or two when he’s seemingly moved to the elite category...
But whether it’s injury or more attention... he hasn’t maintained it for a full season.

Really want to see him play out the rest of the season and have top 10 B&F finish

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Never had a great year

Has finished twice in the top 5 in the B&F as a HF

Not easy to do

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Gee we make excuses for our players. Bottom line is that so far, his career has been extremely disappointing for a number 3 draft pick and into his 9th season. Last time he finished top 5 was 2019 so apparently it’s a good effort for a high half fwd? I can’t find any other evidence of him finishing top 5 in any other seasons but I’m happy to accept posters stating he has.
In 9 years he’s only ever averaged 1 goal once. All other seasons he’s averaging below 1 goal. For a left footer with supposedly great skills I was hoping for a Nath Brown, Shannon Grant type.

He played well on Saturday but if we’re to do anything this year then it’s absolutely blokes like him that needs to step up to A grade consistently. That includes kicking clutch goals. I’m hopeful but dubious based on his history. I would LOVE to have egg on my face at the end of the year.

Saintmike65
Club Player

I’m neither a fan or critic of JB…reality is if we had a decent head recruiter back then we would have picked Bontempelli, who was the dominant draft bolted the second half of that draft year.
We should have him and Petracca…anyway, horse has bolted..onward and upward!!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 6:26pm Never had a great year

Has finished twice in the top 5 in the B&F as a HF

Not easy to do
You should read more carefully

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Oh gawd, I agree with you completely B.M. but starting a thread on Jack Billings only serves to wake the knockers. Read all of these posts and take note of the back-handed compliments. And when you again read "if we had a decent head recruiter back then we would have picked Bontompelli" you know it's Groundhog Day!

Saint supporter since '62
Laurie
Club Player

Goes missing in too many games for me lets see how he goes over the next month.
Recruiting team definately got it wrong give me the Bont or Petracca any day.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Stupid post

Petracca was in a different draft for one - so get a clue

Recruiters only get it wrong for two reasons imo

If they reach, trying to find a roughie by using a good pick on a player who is not rated highly
Or
If the player is a flop

Which Billings is not!!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 6:51pm Gee we make excuses for our players. Bottom line is that so far, his career has been extremely disappointing for a number 3 draft pick and into his 9th season. Last time he finished top 5 was 2019 so apparently it’s a good effort for a high half fwd? I can’t find any other evidence of him finishing top 5 in any other seasons but I’m happy to accept posters stating he has.
In 9 years he’s only ever averaged 1 goal once. All other seasons he’s averaging below 1 goal. For a left footer with supposedly great skills I was hoping for a Nath Brown, Shannon Grant type.

He played well on Saturday but if we’re to do anything this year then it’s absolutely blokes like him that needs to step up to A grade consistently. That includes kicking clutch goals. I’m hopeful but dubious based on his history. I would LOVE to have egg on my face at the end of the year.
Great post
I’m certain when the club recruited him they didn’t chase an elite “HF” they were thinking midfield but sadly he isn’t that.
I treat anything good from Billing’s as a bonus - I’ve lowered my expectations and enjoyed watching him much more.
He’s not Jack Sinclair - a much less heralded player re draft pick selection but he’s a good player and on his day can be an excellent player. He won’t lead the momentum shift (like Bont) but he’ll get on the end to capitalise.
And he’s never going to kick that “clutch” goal you need (said to a mate at the game late when he had a chance to ice the match from a set shot - no chance….sure enough!)
For a left footer there’s better kicks but in the main he’s a nice kick.
Anyway, he’s had a salary adjustment that’s a good thing so now ge can just focus on being a good player for the club
He’s not a top 3 elite draft pick though so let’s not go there..

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 11:49pm
Moods wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 6:51pm Gee we make excuses for our players. Bottom line is that so far, his career has been extremely disappointing for a number 3 draft pick and into his 9th season. Last time he finished top 5 was 2019 so apparently it’s a good effort for a high half fwd? I can’t find any other evidence of him finishing top 5 in any other seasons but I’m happy to accept posters stating he has.

Great post
I’m certain when the club recruited him they didn’t chase an elite “HF” they were thinking midfield but sadly he isn’t that.
I treat anything good from Billing’s as a bonus - I’ve lowered my expectations and enjoyed watching him much more.
He’s not Jack Sinclair - a much less heralded player re draft pick selection but he’s a good player and on his day can be an excellent player. He won’t lead the momentum shift (like Bont) but he’ll get on the end to capitalise.
And he’s never going to kick that “clutch” goal you need (said to a mate at the game late when he had a chance to ice the match from a set shot - no chance….sure enough!)
For a left footer there’s better kicks but in the main he’s a nice kick.
Anyway, he’s had a salary adjustment that’s a good thing so now ge can just focus on being a good player for the club
He’s not a top 3 elite draft pick though so let’s not go there..
B I N G O! Agreed. That's the issue and that has been the issue. Not that we want him to be Bont or Trac

Also...That attempt by JB didn't miss by much. He didn't sigh or look up at the heavens... like Mason did ( LOL)

I'd back him these days. He has improved his set shot kicking and his conversion has been much better in the last 3 years.

Jeremy Cameron and Cyclops Mongol also missed their set shots in the dying minutes

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 6:51pm . Last time he finished top 5 was 2019 so apparently it’s a good effort for a high half fwd? I can’t find any other evidence of him finishing top 5 in any other seasons but I’m happy to accept posters stating he has.
2017 he was top 5.

More importantly he was top 5 in the Saintsational award in both those years.

Still not great for a number 3 pick.

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103317

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 12:40pm.
Really want to see him play out the rest of the season and have top 10 B&F finish
I'm not sure our B&F voting system allows for players who miss large portions of the season any chance of a Top 10 finish. Don't they all get votes in games played or something similar?

It favours participation, durability and quality. Once a player misses 4 or more his chances of a Top 10 are cooked.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 17 May 2022 10:04am
skeptic wrote: Mon 16 May 2022 12:40pm.
I'm not sure our B&F voting system allows for players who miss large portions of the season any chance of a Top 10 finish. Don't they all get votes in games played or something similar?

It favours participation, durability and quality. Once a player misses 4 or more his chances of a Top 10 are cooked.
Which is ridiculous in my view. He’s definitely missed too many to finish top 3, but a player missing 8 should still be capable of slipping into top 10 if he has a great season.

I personally think that the 5-1 votes like Saintsational have is the best system. 😁