Langdon or Hill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Langdon or Hill

What did Melbourne give up for Langdon?

What did we give up for Hill?

They left the same year right?!

At the moment

Langdon is A Grade and IMO the best Winger in the game

Hill is at best B Grade and playing off HB because he struggled to get a kick on the wing!

These trades sort of explain the difference between where we are, and where Melbourne are… oh yes, and CP5

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Langdon or Hill

How can it be that Melbourne are not in breach. Gawn, Pettracia, Lever, May, Oliver, Brayshaw, Jackson, Fitch and yes Langdon.

A club that will tank and has disbarred finance brokers at hand might be said by an unkind person to be suss .

Nevertheless Freo also valued Brad above Langdon for good reason. Brad is an instigator. Langdon has fallen on his feet feeding off the Dee centre square guys

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Langdon is his own player, he runs harder and longer than any other player in the league. He's Melbourne's point of difference.

Is it true he's the only player not to have spent any time on the interchange this season? That's some serious gut running.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 12:46pm Langdon is his own player, he runs harder and longer than any other player in the league. He's Melbourne's point of difference.

Is it true he's the only player not to have spent any time on the interchange this season? That's some serious gut running.
We sold the farm to get Hill, whereas I think only gave up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Langdon @ far less money too!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Do we have to do another one of these rear view mirror things again? It's getting tiresome.

What about....since the end of the 2017 season. We've recruited an entire football team that could go out there this weekend and be competitive

Clark
Paton
Coffield
King
Bytel
Ryder
Butler
Hill
Jones
Howard
Wilkie
Sharman
Highmore
Byrnes
Connolly
Crouch
Higgins
Wanganeen-Milera
Owens
Windhager
Leinert
Wood

Paton Howard Wilkie
Coffield Highmore Leinert
Hill Crouch Wanganeen-Milera
Butler Sharman Clark
Higgins King Wood

Ryder Jones Bytel

Inter: Windhager Byrnes Owens Connolly

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps Langdon is a slightly better player than Hill, but I don't reckon there's heaps in it.

If Hill were playing for Melbourne right now, he'd probably enjoy the same amount of freedom out on the wing as does Langdon. Against a team like Melbourne, with so many threats, he would be unlikely to be anywhere near as closely watched as he is playing for us.

If our midfield can continue to deliver an improved performance in the way it did on Sunday, and if Ryder can stay fit, and if others (NWM, Wood, Gresham, Billings when he comes back) can provide alternative dangerous pathways into ourf orward 50, then Hill will start to enjoy more space \to operate in.

Great midfields don't only lift forward lines, they also enable outside runners to do what they do best.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

These types of threads are getting annoying.

We paid overs for him but I don't think it cost us anything we could not afford or stopped us from getting anyone else in reality.

I would rather have him than not have him.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 1:16pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 12:46pm Langdon is his own player, he runs harder and longer than any other player in the league. He's Melbourne's point of difference.

We sold the farm to get Hill, whereas I think only gave up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Langdon @ far less money too!
This is probably a perfect "Moneyball" example.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn’t that be the same for a lot of clubs?

BTW
Swap Langdon and Hill and add pick 10

We’d be a lot better

The Dockers star - and a future third-round selection - have been exchanged for a huge bounty, with St Kilda giving up Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future second and fourth round pick.

We gave up a player and 4 draft picks
Blake Acres
First Round (ended up being Kosi Pickett)
Second Round
2 x Fourth Round

After 2 and a bit seasons - we lost that trade big time

It is of course
At the time, I wanted Hill (who was an A Grade winger)
But not for the price we paid

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 12:40pm How can it be that Melbourne are not in breach. Gawn, Pettracia, Lever, May, Oliver, Brayshaw, Jackson, Fitch and yes Langdon.
Because all those except Gawn and tractor were playing crap in in 2019 and 2020 when they signed their contracts.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Hill has overall been a disappointment, not sure there's much arguing against that.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Langdon has been tagged zero?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hill for me. Haters hate. That's just what they do. Doesn't seem to matter how good the player is in reality. Look at the shitty rubbish directed at Seb Ross from this forum for years now.
Last edited by saynta on Fri 08 Apr 2022 3:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 2:00pm Hill has overall been a disappointment, not sure there's much arguing against that.
I wouldn’t suggest it’s been a disaster though

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 2:40pm Langdon has been tagged zero?
Good point.

Hill is a D considering what was forked out.

The test is: would they recruit him again if they had their time over?
Last edited by SaintPav on Fri 08 Apr 2022 3:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Disappointment for some, but not others

And there seems to be plenty of for and against argument about Brad's value.

Perhaps its expectations. What did you expect.

Saints website: Disposals: above average; Kicks: above average: Handball: elite; Tackles and Marks: below average; Metres gained above average.
Consistent with his career stats.

His first year with us 2020: his average performance dropped about 36%. That was the year of Covid, a big move from the West with his family and constant barrage of public criticism. And real nasty stuff.

2020 was also Langdon's first with Melb. and his average performance dropped over 20%. But no media, public or fan criticism and abuse of him?

And the level of criticism and abuse Brad copped can be and probably was self fulling and self reinforcing.

The footy media and some of us should be ashamed of what he had to cop. The media are vultures, not sure what fans that eat their own are.

Do the media and all of us not get stressed over big changes in personal lives, an alien Covid caused work environment and public criticism. No? of course they do, but they expect our men to be robots.

Brad has done so well to recover from the experiences of 2020 - although it seems plenty still want to drag him down again? Some with false equivalents.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 3:12pm
Good point.

Hill gets a tag more often than not. Langdon doesn't. Is Langdon the benefit of being in a better performed team? Look at Tom Phillips.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 3:19pm
SaintPav wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 3:12pm
Good point.

Hill gets a tag more often than not. Langdon doesn't. Is Langdon the benefit of being in a better performed team? Look at Tom Phillips.
Hill gets tagged more often because he is a better player than Langdon. There's no question about that. If Ratten puts Hill on the wing then you'll find out how good he can really be.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hard to tag Langdon

Hardest runner in the game

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

When St Kilda becomes more one dimensional then Hill will play on the wing. He certainly isn't a HBFlanker.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 08 Apr 2022 11:50am What did Melbourne give up for Langdon?

What did we give up for Hill?

They left the same year right?!

At the moment

Langdon is A Grade and IMO the best Winger in the game

Hill is at best B Grade and playing off HB because he struggled to get a kick on the wing!

These trades sort of explain the difference between where we are, and where Melbourne are… oh yes, and CP5
Hill was in contract, Langdon was out of contract and wanted to return home to Melbourne.
His family have a successful business and a all close.

We had to satisfy Freo with much greater compensation for the contracted player with the big CV as opposed to the younger lesser performed Langdon at that point in time.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I'm not sure many saints fans were unhappy to take Hill or stating they preferred Langdon, just shocked we gave up so much to get him.

I'd guess even Melbourne and perhaps Richo are "pleased" at how Langdon has developed.
Much like Jack Steele, we thought he'd be good but turn into an AA was a shock to me.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

No doubt Langdon has been a better pick up, especially for the price they paid! But that is definitely hindsight and well done them!

Hill was by far the better player at Freo, and of course he was a triple premiership player at Hawthorn

So he was far more valuable.

But the asking price was ridiculous. I would’ve called their bluff!!!

That sort of currency is for Elite Mids or Key Forwards!!!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I hope this makes us all feel a little bit better about the Hill move.

It certainly made me feel better this week after being in iso with Covid. Ol mate Ross the Boss came out with something I wasn’t aware of (and not many people would be). He said on Wednesday’s Classified show that the person who was Ed’s mentor and the person who Ed trained with at Fremantle and the player he tried to emulate at Freo was Brad Hill.

I have always been a big rap for coaches and footy department people who look beyond the short term. If Brad can help inspire and motivate some of our rookies or a guy like NWM or Windy or Mitch then we made the right choice. Maybe we might end up with 2 or 3 Ed Langdon types.

I have called many people apologists when they’ve come on here and defended what I believed to be poor decisions, but I can see a little clearer now that the intent and the motivation and the goal of the club with bringing in Brad Hill at the same time as Ryder and Jones and others was to fill gaps created by consecutive staff who were quite poor at their jobs, and maybe a very poor coaching and football development team.

The membership numbers in 2019 were a direct result of incompetent people and poor management over several years. There needed to be some swift solutions to make us competitive or we risked alienating too many supporters and sponsors.

They made necessary and smart business decisions to make us competitive but I was not happy that they went hard 3 years running and over estimated the benefits to be had by bringing in old and/or second rate B grade players. The fact that we went back to the draft and back to regenerating for the long term, they have redeemed themselves in my book

This is going to sound weird coming from me, because I have been really tough on Brad, but maybe I wasn’t looking at the big picture. Our recruitment decisions and our focus on young talent recently is going to pay dividends while we have people like Brad Hill at the club.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Excellent post Scollop, adds some balance to the doom and gloom that hindsight comparisons can bring. Well written and explained.

lewdogs
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 09 Apr 2022 12:58am I hope this makes us all feel a little bit better about the Hill move.

It certainly made me feel better this week after being in iso with Covid. Ol mate Ross the Boss came out with something I wasn’t aware of (and not many people would be). He said on Wednesday’s Classified show that the person who was Ed’s mentor and the person who Ed trained with at Fremantle and the player he tried to emulate at Freo was Brad Hill.

I have always been a big rap for coaches and footy department people who look beyond the short term. If Brad can help inspire and motivate some of our rookies or a guy like NWM or Windy or Mitch then we made the right choice. Maybe we might end up with 2 or 3 Ed Langdon types.

I have called many people apologists when they’ve come on here and defended what I believed to be poor decisions, but I can see a little clearer now that the intent and the motivation and the goal of the club with bringing in Brad Hill at the same time as Ryder and Jones and others was to fill gaps created by consecutive staff who were quite poor at their jobs, and maybe a very poor coaching and football development team.

The membership numbers in 2019 were a direct result of incompetent people and poor management over several years. There needed to be some swift solutions to make us competitive or we risked alienating too many supporters and sponsors.

They made necessary and smart business decisions to make us competitive but I was not happy that they went hard 3 years running and over estimated the benefits to be had by bringing in old and/or second rate B grade players. The fact that we went back to the draft and back to regenerating for the long term, they have redeemed themselves in my book

This is going to sound weird coming from me, because I have been really tough on Brad, but maybe I wasn’t looking at the big picture. Our recruitment decisions and our focus on young talent recently is going to pay dividends while we have people like Brad Hill at the club.
Great post. Hill is a leader especially with the indigenous players, I think he is a great influence to have around the club.