Ben Brown - Max King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ben Brown - Max King

Watching this tonight could care less but I like the way Browne leads up , jumps Abs takes ball at the highest point

King needs to do more of this - he’s a better mark but he looks so much more dangerous when he’s on the move with a run/jump as opposed to trying to stand there wrestle 2 while it’s kicked on his head.

He started to do this last year Ki g I really hope that’s a team focus - get him on the move don’t just bomb.

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ben Brown - Max King

Yep, but this is on the coach not the players, we've been screaming for this kind of gameplan for years!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He has to learn to lead. Has a prodigious leap, but finding space will make him twice as dangerous a forward

spert
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 9:47am He has to learn to lead. Has a prodigious leap, but finding space will make him twice as dangerous a forward
Agree- he has the skills but needs to learn a few more tricks as a forward. Against Essendon in the practice match, he misjudged the ball quite a bit in marking contests, but I'm sure he will keep improving and maybe his best is still a season or two off

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 8:05pm Watching this tonight could care less but I like the way Browne leads up , jumps Abs takes ball at the highest point

King needs to do more of this - he’s a better mark but he looks so much more dangerous when he’s on the move with a run/jump as opposed to trying to stand there wrestle 2 while it’s kicked on his head.

He started to do this last year Ki g I really hope that’s a team focus - get him on the move don’t just bomb.
Much easier said than done in modern footy. Brown was only able to do it when Melbourne's mids were on fire and dominating possession and not turning it over by foot (a very un-St Kilda thing to do). Maintaining possession allows the forwards to keep their shape and positioning which especially helps in creating space for a King, Brown, Lynch etc to lead into. As soon as a team loses possession and team defence kicks in and everyone sprints up the ground to guard space - the forwards have to re-set and that's when space dissapears.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I have a feeling Max has been holding back this pre season and is ready to cut sick tomorrow night