Anybody have a Kayo subscription

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Anybody have a Kayo subscription

I’ve always found this type of thing to be an example of how they get you with extra costs/luxuries that you don’t need... overly corporate and all that.

At this exact moment in time however... am a little wobbly on this stance. Am not really in a position to get out to the games that much... is a bit of a hike for me. Previously settled for watching replays but to be honest, not watching live pretty much kills the buzz so am thinking about taking the plunge.

For those that have it... worth it? Decent set up? What’s available? Anything I need to know? Any discounts available for club members or other tips of the trade.

Cheers

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Anybody have a Kayo subscription

skeptic wrote: Tue 15 Feb 2022 10:00pm I’ve always found this type of thing to be an example of how they get you with extra costs/luxuries that you don’t need... overly corporate and all that.

At this exact moment in time however... am a little wobbly on this stance. Am not really in a position to get out to the games that much... is a bit of a hike for me. Previously settled for watching replays but to be honest, not watching live pretty much kills the buzz so am thinking about taking the plunge.

For those that have it... worth it? Decent set up? What’s available? Anything I need to know? Any discounts available for club members or other tips of the trade.

Cheers
Have also thought about it. Used AFL live pass but it wasn’t good. Rubbish service from them too. Just can’t fork out $ to Murdoch.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

AFL Live Pass used to be free to Telstra customers, so I stayed with Telstra.
But last year we had to use Kayo for footy, AFL Live Pass only shows replays, not live games.
Kayo isn't too bad, if you're working or busy when the game starts, no probs- you have the option of watching from the start.
I always turn off my notifications on my phone because the AFL app will show me the winner in a pop-up; also I have friends who will message me the result and I don't want to know

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
avid
Club Player

I've found Kayo very convenient.
I hate paying money to Foxtel, but it's not very much (I think about $14 per month) so I just try to forget about it.
It's been great with all our games out of bounds, and it gives me total flexibility in how I watch them -- live, or almost live (I can pause, and then catch up), and in replay -- even while the game hasn't yet finished -- or much later.
There are ads, but much fewer than on regular commercial, and the commentary just keeps on going between goal and bounce. That's major!
Nick Riewoldt has been one of the chief analysts/commentators, and I've come to respect him even more than I did as our courageous leader!
I watched the Superbowl on it yesterday too, which was a bonus.

minneapolis
Club Player

avid wrote: Tue 15 Feb 2022 10:53pm I've found Kayo very convenient.
I hate paying money to Foxtel, but it's not very much (I think about $14 per month) so I just try to forget about it.
It's been great with all our games out of bounds, and it gives me total flexibility in how I watch them -- live, or almost live (I can pause, and then catch up), and in replay -- even while the game hasn't yet finished -- or much later.
There are ads, but much fewer than on regular commercial, and the commentary just keeps on going between goal and bounce. That's major!
Nick Riewoldt has been one of the chief analysts/commentators, and I've come to respect him even more than I did as our courageous leader!
I thought the half-time show was crap cos I hate Rap.

I could not understand a word they said (Harrumph Harrumph)

What did you think Avid?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Beware the buffering skeptic. I've a mate who has it, whilst the rest of us have Foxtel, he falls behind in our live group chats. That said, I've no idea who his data provider is which may play a significant role.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Kayo is a streaming service which I don't think is good for fast moving games and the picture would tend to stop/start if you know what I mean. We have Foxtel but sometimes my wife will watch it through foxtel go which is the streaming service and which is the one that stop/starts. If you have a fantastic internet signal then Kayo is much cheaper than Foxtel.

There are no ads siren to siren however, if its a channel 7 game, rather than a fox footy game, then they don't do any analysis or replays after goals until they come back from their ads.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I’ve got it and I’m still paying $5 a month as a Telstra subscriber.

I’m aware that it’s 10 to 20 seconds behind on live games, but I’ve had no issues with the actual picture or smoothness.

Its better if you can get it on your phone, tablet and TV.

Being able to watch just the goals or wickets is a bonus.

And I know a lot of people share a subscription.

I started watching the Tom Brady documentary last night. Awesome show.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Kayo is $25 per month for 2 devices. unless you share it with another person like i do.

Gershwin
Club Player

I have it for AFL games and also Scottish football. I have become a Celtic fan since Ange took over. Not every Celtic game is shown. Plenty of other sport too. Excellent quality on my iPad.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 16 Feb 2022 6:32am Beware the buffering skeptic. I've a mate who has it, whilst the rest of us have Foxtel, he falls behind in our live group chats. That said, I've no idea who his data provider is which may play a significant role.
Absolutely love Foxtel. You get all the games live and it isn't really expensive.

It's a football lovers dream come true.

I am old enough to remember the winners where you might get the last quarter of a game in black and white, but never the saints. Most of Trevor's marks were never recorded.

Feel sorry for those that don't have it and then poo poo the service, or use the excuse that they don't want to contribute to the Murdoch empire.

I am sure old Rupert goes to bed crying every night over such people. :roll: :roll:

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

no issues with kayo. need it here as saints are rarely fta. i only pay during footy season so it's a pretty cheap option.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
spert
Saintsational Legend

I sign up for Kayo just for the AFL season, then cancel after the season. I have 5G internet, and never had any issues with the streaming of games etc.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Kayo is awesome for one feature alone...
Split Screen.

On my projector at home, I can have four screens going at the same time. Saturday nights are full with two games of AFL, GP quali or practice, and whatever other sport takes my fancy.
That feature only works on some devices like Apple TV.

I only had Foxtel for the Sport, and this is massively cheaper.

saintfreddy
Club Player

I had Kayo for the first time last year as Foxtel became ridiculously expensive. I subscribe at the start of March and turn it off in October so don't pay a full year. It cost me $25 a month. I enjoy Kayo as I like both watching our matches (of course) but when my nerves kick in badly, I might switch to another game or the nrl which I love. I have found it's OK without raving about the quality you get (may also depend where you are). I am in Melbourne.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I'm on the $5/month Kayo and no massive issues with streaming. The TV app is painfully slow loading, but that's probably my TV's problem. Split screens are awesome but only on PC.
You only get 1-3 matches a week for other sports, not all of them. EPL you only get replays from Arsenal's and Chelsea's own channel. I wanted the Gaelic footy but wasn't happy that Kayo don't have it. The NFL is now on 7mate. And they've lost the A-League now too. So when it goes to $25/month I'll probably cancel it. I love the idea of Kayo, only sport. But it's losing content, not gaining it, then add the price going up, I can't justify it.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I just login to my parents Foxtel account on the iPad and chrome cast to the TV if needed. If I couldn’t do that I’d happily pay $25 a month for Kayo, makes sense with the amount of AFL / NFL / Cricket / UFC /F1 plus docos I watch.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
therabbitinthehat
Club Player

If you use uber eats (or a bunch of other services) you can get free months of kayo, just hoard the codes over the off season and then use them during the season - free kayo :)

Sunil_saint
Club Player

I subscribed to Kayo during season 2020, when I returned to Australia to visit family ( and got stuck with lockdown for a year.) It suited me at the time because my Bro did not have Foxtel. I was also able to pick up some international cricket and soccer games. I attempted to unsubscribe before I returned to Sri Lanka . Started the process in Dec 2020. I got home and my subs were still being accessed 😡. Of course now a HUGE issue to deal with them ...time zone issues as well and not great inet connections at times. Finally recieved notification of cancelled subscription 4 months post. Had to remind them also to refund post cancelled subs...a/c credited 1 month later. Quality programs without any drop outs, and good selection of sports if you are interested. On line service was very
" lovey dovey" ..but didn't necessarily come through with the promises i.e
"Oh yes we will organise your a/c cancellation this week 🙄. I think the service is contracted out....It served my purpose at the time but I will not use them again

avid
Club Player

minneapolis wrote: Wed 16 Feb 2022 2:24am

What did you think Avid?
I am definitely not a rap fan either.
But I did find it interesting to see so many of the old rap legends gathered together all at once, I thought Snoop Dog showed some style. I think the music behind the rapping is often really great, especially Eminem's, and almost always end up thinking it would have been a more pleasant experience without the rapping itself.
As a spectacle I thought it was OK, without ever reaching any great heights or depths. Watchable, but anticlimactic.
Is that enough faint praise?

Felt the same ho-humness about the game itself. Two or three great plays. A tense last few minutes, which came to nothing.

Are you a ViKings fan Minneapolis?

minneapolis
Club Player

avid wrote: Thu 17 Feb 2022 1:46am
minneapolis wrote: Wed 16 Feb 2022 2:24am

What did you think Avid?
I am definitely not a rap fan either.
But I did find it interesting to see so many of the old rap legends gathered together all at once, I thought Snoop Dog showed some style. I think the music behind the rapping is often really great, especially Eminem's, and almost always end up thinking it would have been a more pleasant experience without the rapping itself.
As a spectacle I thought it was OK, without ever reaching any great heights or depths. Watchable, but anticlimactic.
Is that enough faint praise?

Felt the same ho-humness about the game itself. Two or three great plays. A tense last few minutes, which came to nothing.

Are you a ViKings fan Minneapolis?
I had lunch yesterday with a bunch of ex-workers. (We are old programmer farts together). They all didn't like it either. One guy said he turned off the sound and made a sandwich. Ha. My mind did wonder if the white supremacists lost their mind now that the Super Bowl had been invaded.

Big Vikings fan. Everyone here is. 4 Super Bowls - no wins. It is a great team with good legacy and supporters but a bit like the Saints. Perennial also-rans.

I was rooting for Cincy but they couldn't get going. Rams deserved to win. At least we stole their OC as our next head coach. Nice to chat with you Avid.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

I have Kayo, i set it up with a work Colleague and we share the costs as you can have two different places. its great if you cannot see the Game on Channel 7 or want to see a replya,

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I note on FB that apparently the saints have a kayo membership package

cps
Club Player

I've had Kayo for the past two years. Never had a problem. The stream might be a small amount behind live but not enough to bother me. Also, it's very easy to stop the subscription and then restart it (which I've done at the end of the footy season).

Winmar
Club Player

skeptic wrote:I note on FB that apparently the saints have a kayo membership package
Yeah you get a couple of months free if you sign up for a year, which would be good for people who are into other sports that are played during the AFL off season.

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk