Rowan Marshall / Luke Jackson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Rowan Marshall / Luke Jackson

Wondering what the Forum thinks about a one on one comparison of Rowan and Luke as players. Do we think Rowan is the better package?

Looking forward to them matching up in '22.

Appreciate your thoughts.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rowan Marshall / Luke Jackson

Jackson might be the better forward and hasn't had anywhere near the same ruck opportunity. Very different types. But if Gawn and Ryder weren't playing Ro would smash him.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Luke Jackson is already a better centre bounce ruckman than Rowan. It was Jackson’s centre bounce work that sparked the Demons in quarter 3. Around the ground Marshall is stronger for ball ups and a better mark. But Jackson will get there. I am not sure Rowan will ever be a good centre bounce ruckman. Even Silvagni out thought him and beat him comprehensively.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 12:50pm Luke Jackson is already a better centre bounce ruckman than Rowan. It was Jackson’s centre bounce work that sparked the Demons in quarter 3. Around the ground Marshall is stronger for ball ups and a better mark. But Jackson will get there. I am not sure Rowan will ever be a good centre bounce ruckman. Even Silvagni out thought him and beat him comprehensively.
Wasnt he basically on one foot?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 12:50pm Luke Jackson is already a better centre bounce ruckman than Rowan. It was Jackson’s centre bounce work that sparked the Demons in quarter 3. Around the ground Marshall is stronger for ball ups and a better mark. But Jackson will get there. I am not sure Rowan will ever be a good centre bounce ruckman. Even Silvagni out thought him and beat him comprehensively.
LOL - another case of assessing St Kilda's Dad's Army 2021 with fully fit and firing squads I am afraid.

Not directing this at BFUSA - but there is a lot of discussion about players who were playing sub-par because they were being put on the park while injured eg RoMa and Billings

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 5:03pm
LOL - another case of assessing St Kilda's Dad's Army 2021 with fully fit and firing squads I am afraid.

Not directing this at BFUSA - but there is a lot of discussion about players who were playing sub-par because they were being put on the park while injured eg RoMa and Billings

Yes Roma's 2021 was a year of him always playing injured and underdone.

We will get to see the fully fit Roma again next season.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Jackson will be a star, Roma is not there yet.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 7:50pm Jackson will be a star, Roma is not there yet.
There is some merit in this.

One is plucked out of obscurity and gieven a chance at St.Kilda, the other a top 3 draft pick with the best ruckman in the league at his disposal in a midfield full of top draft picks, about to develop into a force.

Read this:

"AFL 2020 | St Kilda Saints next big thing Rowan Marshall comes from rugby roots" https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/st- ... 54oys.html

He will get there.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely spot on. It's RoMa's centre bounce work that needs massive improvement before he can be considered a great ruckman.
It's his lack of ruck expertise that sees people wanting him as a key forward. He can run, he can mark and is a good kick.
RoMa is our modern day Jeff Sarau as a ruckman, not the best going around, gives away size but makes up for that with heart, effort and determination. I loved Jeff Sarau.

St Plugger
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 10:45pm
Absolutely spot on. It's RoMa's centre bounce work that needs massive improvement before he can be considered a great ruckman.
It's his lack of ruck expertise that sees people wanting him as a key forward. He can run, he can mark and is a good kick.
RoMa is our modern day Jeff Sarau as a ruckman, not the best going around, gives away size but makes up for that with heart, effort and determination. I loved Jeff Sarau.
Yep and "pup" could get a steely look in his eyes that meant real business was about to happen.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 17 Oct 2021 10:45pm
I tend to think it’s a bit more like the McEvoy conundrum.

McEvoy has an average leap and even now is fairly mediocre in the middle but has had an excellent career as a contested mark taking roving big man

Hawthorn (in their glory years) were extremely clever in pairing him alongside someone that could go into the middle and stop opposition rucks from dominating the got outs for extended patches

That’s what I see the trick being with Roma and why the combination of he and Paddy to be a winner. I don’t think he’ll ever be that good at taps but he’s a monster elsewhere
Need to compensate for this deficiency and play to his strengths