Musical acts at matches

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kell
Club Player

Musical acts at matches

Tina Arena spoke out about the lack of support for live Australian music last week. Having watched the musical performers before the GF and at half time I was reminded of the dearth of live Australian musical acts on TV these days. When I was kid Countdown was stable fare each week and doubtless was the genesis of some of the worlds greatest bands such as INXS, AC/DC ..... Would it be so hard for the AFL to give the music industry a leg up by making live Aussie music a regular feature on game days rather than just at the Grannie?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Musical acts at matches

I don’t think ‘live’ is the correct word to use when talking about Countdown!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I think it’s a good idea but I must say the GF entertainment was just ok tbh
I think the best we e had in recent years was The Killers
I thought Birds of Tokyo sounded thin and Eskimoe Joe looked like an old uncle that used to hang around band’s back in the old days.,,,
I’m no fan of pastels also I will add
I am old though

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Time to bring back Supernaut

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Yeah. Let them play the whole match. They might need to quarantine 14 days for every gig, so they can be the only ones there. Do they want to be paid?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

The lack of live music on TV in Australia is disgrace. ABC & Triple J try from time to time, but there's nothing else. Variety TV is pretty much dead, so those opportunities are gone, Rockwiz has had it's challenges due to COVID and the days of music festivals and performances on Channel V are long gone.

Something needs to change. Even if it's something as simple as showcasing Australian talent at AFL games or simulcasting Triple J's Like a Version segment on ABC News on a Friday morning. Every bit will help.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

When I go to the footy, I’m there to watch the footy.

I don’t need a musical act or a dance performance or a poetry reading to enhance the experience.

I don’t understand why in the biggest game of the year, they extend the half time break so we can get more “entertainment”. A real case of the tail wagging the dog.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

When i go to the footy i can't stand all the pre game crap that gets blasted over the big screens, i like to listen to the pre-game on the radio
but it can be very hard to hear it with all the noise.

I don't want Live music added to that racket, especially Meatloaf standard live music :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 10:19am When I go to the footy, I’m there to watch the footy.

I don’t need a musical act or a dance performance or a poetry reading to enhance the experience.

I don’t understand why in the biggest game of the year, they extend the half time break so we can get more “entertainment”. A real case of the tail wagging the dog.
The only think I ever looked forward to at the half time break was the 100 metre sprint.

Live acts? I was there for meatloaf so I would say no thanks except Lionel Ritchie was more than cool.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 12:14pm
kosifantutti wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 10:19am When I go to the footy, I’m there to watch the footy.

The only think I ever looked forward to at the half time break was the 100 metre sprint.

Live acts? I was there for meatloaf so I would say no thanks except Lionel Ritchie was more than cool.
Everybody poo-pood Lionel Ritchie when he was engaged at short notice for the 2010 replay. And then he reminded everybody why he is considered one of the all time greats. Likewise, Tom Jones and Ed Sheeran in 2014. Bryan Adams was also terrific. On Saturday night we had a rapper singing, allegedly, a few seconds before his lips started miming.

Bah, humbug!

Saint supporter since '62
Winmar7
Club Player

Sure, let's get King Parrot as pre-game entertainment!

spert
Saintsational Legend

AFL should just grab a couple of local pub cover bands for entertainment. People are generally there for the footy.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

If Birds of Tokyo is the best we can do, they should bring back marching girls and police dogs jumping through hoops.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote: Tue 28 Sep 2021 8:38pm If Birds of Tokyo is the best we can do, they should bring back marching girls and police dogs jumping through hoops.
Yeah, I agree. They made meatloaf look reasonable.