Petracca

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Petracca

Have you seen Allison play?

I watched him two or three times, and the boy was a mile off the pace at VFL level.

I really hope he develops, he’s a nice size. Having said that, how many medium talls do you need??

Sharman
Same size, same position, no pre season, playing SANFL 3 months ago.

Came in and immediately made an impact in the VFL and made his debut before Allison even got considered.

Rarely does a clubs first selection in a National draft, not debut in his first season. And if they don’t, they usually make a real impact in the state league.

I don’t remember the last time a StK first pick didn’t play a game in their first season? I’d have to check??

saynta
Saintsational Legend

How old is Allison? 18..19? How old is Cooper...21..22.?

I could check but am not wasting my time over a silly comparison. Sorry mate.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just checked

Tom Lynch 2008 draft

Did not play in 2009

Says a couple of things

1/Great side with few injuries
2/ Lyon did not play kids

He watched Lynch often in the VFL in 09
He was a very good hit up forward who made a strong impact in partnership with Sautner as a CHF

Didn’t count Max King due to injury

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 7:51pm Just checked

Tom Lynch 2008 draft

Did not play in 2009

Says a couple of things

1/Great side with few injuries
2/ Lyon did not play kids

He watched Lynch often in the VFL in 09
He was a very good hit up forward who made a strong impact in partnership with Sautner as a CHF

Didn’t count Max King due to injury
Yeah, well no surprise there. Lynin cost us more than one footballer. Cripps another.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 7:43pm Have you seen Allison play?

I watched him two or three times, and the boy was a mile off the pace at VFL level.

I really hope he develops, he’s a nice size. Having said that, how many medium talls do you need??

Sharman
Same size, same position, no pre season, playing SANFL 3 months ago.

Came in and immediately made an impact in the VFL and made his debut before Allison even got considered.

Rarely does a clubs first selection in a National draft, not debut in his first season. And if they don’t, they usually make a real impact in the state league.

I don’t remember the last time a StK first pick didn’t play a game in their first season? I’d have to check??
Just wondering whether you got to cast your eye over Sharman when he was 18 or 19?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Allison has been in an AFL system 9 months and before that in the Calder Cannons program

6 months ago Sharman was in the SANFL reserves, 12 months ago he was playing with mates in the country.

At 83kg I don’t think Sharman is much more physically advanced - he looks 17

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 7:55pm Allison has been in an AFL system 9 months and before that in the Calder Cannons program

6 months ago Sharman was in the SANFL reserves, 12 months ago he was playing with mates in the country.

Prior to that he'd been in the same system as Allison, plus he had two years with an AFL club. Cut him some slack.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sharman played CHF for Oakleigh Chargers in a premiership after joining them mid year from Balwyn

Undrafted

Didn’t find the footy enough, under developed and not been in the system long enough for recruiters to get a good look at him

Question
With at least 8 players 188-193cm

Why did we feel the need to select another one in the mid season if we were happy with Allison?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't know anything about Allison that's why I ask why he's been written off. You need to wonder how Sharman didn't get a go in the SANFL firsts?
He could be a mile of the VFL but how does that compare with Sharman's stint in the SAFL ressies?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Allison = 19, 195cm, 79kg
St Kilda snapped up the key-position prospect with its first pick in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft. The Calder Cannons product is 195cm, strong overhead and can operate forward of the ball,
in defence or on the wing.

Sharman = 21, 193cm, 83kg
Recruited with pick No. 21, the 193-cm talent has spent the past few months in the SANFL following a Premiership year with the Oakleigh Chargers in 2019. He was formerly part of GWS' Academy.
A player with natural ability, clean hands, great foot skills and a good football brain, Sharman will look to become a handy addition to St Kilda's forward line in the coming seasons.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I really do not understand why you want to write off or sh!t can kids as quickly as you do B.M.. Has there been multiple glaring errors our recruiters missed?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 7:59pm Sharman played CHF for Oakleigh Chargers in a premiership after joining them mid year from Balwyn

Undrafted

Didn’t find the footy enough, under developed and not been in the system long enough for recruiters to get a good look at him

Question
With at least 8 players 188-193cm

Why did we feel the need to select another one in the mid season if we were happy with Allison?
What? Would you prefer it if we hadn't drafted Sharman?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 7:55pm Allison has been in an AFL system 9 months and before that in the Calder Cannons program

I must say I agree with you re Allison's earlier games he was miles away, however as the season progressed he did improve and show glimpses of why he was recruited. Not every kid has an impact in the first couple of years, so give him another 12 months and reassess him then!

Jacob Koschitzke is an example of a kid who looked miles off in his first year, started to develop in his second and played a number of games this year. Lets just hope our player development improves, because a number of kids went backwards this year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 8:54pm

I must say I agree with you re Allison's earlier games he was miles away, however as the season progressed he did improve and show glimpses of why he was recruited. Not every kid has an impact in the first couple of years, so give him another 12 months and reassess him then!

Jacob Koschitzke is an example of a kid who looked miles off in his first year, started to develop in his second and played a number of games this year. Lets just hope our player development improves, because a number of kids went backwards this year.
Okay, which kids do you think went backwards this year?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 11:43am
Vortex wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 9:38am Paddy was the obvious choice based on him being a monster key forward that you could build a team around. 17 other teams were lining up to use their first pick on him if we didn't. Concussion is what stopped him from fulfilling his potential.

And so if you don't agree then you must believe we did not learn our lesson when we selected Max King?

Who was responsible for recruiting Max King? And who will be to blame if Max has dodgy knees and becomes so injury prone he can't get on the park?

Who was the best midfielder we should have recruited instead of Max?

Why do it to yourself and make yours feel sick with envy everytime Petracca has a good game.
17 were lining up to take McCartin as #1 were they? I don't remember reading that anywhere. You've made that up. Did you want McCartin?

A desperation pick and as always, desperation breeds desperation. Do you think Max King was the wrong selection?

Max King was best available at that pick. I wanted Smith but thankfully they did not go for need, they went best available. That's the simplicity of choosing a Top 10 pick when everything has been laid out, it can only be messed up by recruiters getting too smart & ultimately justifying it with family values & a perceived attitude. He was also chosen because Paddy was a bust.
Just an idle opinion GL, I'm not that hung up on it either way tbh. It really is in the past and the whole conversation is as tediois to me as a good ole GT versus RL discussion.

But I respect everyone's right to thrash it out

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 4:02pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 3:52pm Time to move this thread to the Opposition and General Sports Discussion forum. It has become too much like lonely old blokes sitting in public bars lamenting about the love they lost. When they were seventeen years old.
Your shout Trev 🍻
I'll buy you one if pubs still exist when Dan lets us out.

Saint supporter since '62
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hang on

Don’t you get called a hindsight hero if you bag a draft pick after it’s obvious they are no good?

Yet

If you make a call at the time, it’s too early on the kid?!

What is it

I’m prepared to put my opinion out there, if I’m wrong I’ll eat humble pie!!!

I remember making a call draft night about a selection and was taken to task on here… fact is my cousin who played in the National U18 championship actually played on as a small forward and kicked 3 told me he was hopeless.
Ended up being the case. This was an absolute roughie with a mid second round draft pick!!!

That was possibly a bit premature?!

Allison, I’ve had a year to run an eye over him. Normally a kid will do something that says - I’m a player!
I’ve seen nothing so far to suggest he is

Sharman, I saw his first VFL game
He kicked a couple and looked like a good mover from the outset

Very happy to be proven wrong

Do not see where he fits in the senior team?!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Let's see what the club does with Allison over his journey, not what the fan forum does with him. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

How much football did Allison get to play in 2020?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

You were making this call half way through his first year. You make the call on kids like you are harbouring a grudge or a regret about how you may have been assessed.

Hindsight calls are reserved for claiming we should have selected X, instead of Y. They are not measured by not sh!t canning a kid.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I just making a judgement call, just like his employer would be

s*** canning?!

I’d prefer I was hailing him the next N Riewoldt

Would you prefer to hear my thoughts on Cooper - if that’ll make you feel better?!

I’m not going to say positive things, just because people want to hear that!!!

Did say he was a kid, and he may develop… but from what I saw, he really struggled

Try not to make this about me

What’s your honest take??? Love to hear it?!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M., you don't want to hear other people's takes. I told you my take, he's a kid, an easy target. A kid, thanks to a bizarre world circumstance, is not getting the chance to develop his game as quickly as others before him have. He's had one pre season, needs another and needs the opportunity to string some VFL games together.

"Just like an employer would."??? Are you his employer?

I'd prefer you not to sh!t can kids, it is that simple. I don't care about your thoughts on Sharman.

No need for me to make this about you, you have that covered. Here's why I know that and why I also know you don't care about anyone else's take - check your ratio of being thanked to the number of times you thank.

Actions will always say more than words, regardless of your spin.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 30 Aug 2021 9:07am B.M., you don't want to hear other people's takes. I told you my take, he's a kid, an easy target. A kid, thanks to a bizarre world circumstance, is not getting the chance to develop his game as quickly as others before him have. He's had one pre season, needs another and needs the opportunity to string some VFL games together.

"Just like an employer would."??? Are you his employer?

I'd prefer you not to sh!t can kids, it is that simple. I don't care about your thoughts on Sharman.

No need for me to make this about you, you have that covered. Here's why I know that and why I also know you don't care about anyone else's take - check your ratio of being thanked to the number of times you thank.

Actions will always say more than words, regardless of your spin.
Remembering also that Alison also had his last season of TAC taken away as well. I did read somewhere that he grew ten centimeters from 17-18 years old.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Banger9798
SS Life Member

BM - What are your thoughts on Sharman?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ghostlike

That is rubbish!

Thanks for giving your opinion… easy to bag other’s opinions

Have one of your own so there can be non personal debate

You said you are not making it about me, but you’re going on about likes or something like that. I don’t really care either way.

And, yes, his performance would be reviewed by the club. And I’d think they would have told him he has some areas to improve on if he wants to make the grade.