Jimmy Webster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy Webster

Been great this year can't think of a game he has been beaten. Been given all the big names too.

Great to have him up and running.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Jimmy Webster

CURLY wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 12:41pm Been great this year can't think of a game he has been beaten. Been given all the big names too.

Great to have him up and running.
He's been very valuable in covering for the loss of Ben Paton - that's for sure

Go you red, black & white warriors
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Wasn’t a big fan personally…
I kept hearing about how great he was but he never seemed to play a good season up until this year. Always injured or in and out.

Has been superb this year

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes

Has covered the loss of Paton

happy feet
Club Player

Jimmy is a tough nut and has had a good year.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I've always been a fan. He copped a lot of unfair criticism on here in previous years. Paton returning will have the coaches scratching their heads on where to play Webster. What's possible is they end up using Paton somewhere else. He played most of his junior football as a midfielder.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy has been very solid and stood up to the constant pressure our defence has been under, like most of the back six.

Defenders have had far better effort relative to small forwards and mids this season.

Jimmy often looks to initiate offensive moves as well as defend hard and does more often than not. I like him a lot as a player and he now seems sound.

However how many top 4 sides would he make. Lately I have been asking myself that about a number of players I have thought pretty good and find more often than not the answer is none.

I think a lot of fans and the Club management have made the same rooky error of over rating our players. I thought that the team was producing less than the sum of its parts, but probably just over valued the parts.

If you graph our season by net points per game it shows a shocking decline - free fall? - to the pits (Adelaide) half way through; a sputtering revival off the mat at the 8 count from about R11 and now it looks like a further descent until season's end.

Saying injuries are the cause does not seem to account for the magnitude of decline. Has any other club gone further backwards from last year.

Boy I wait for the silence from the Club to be broken by way of insightful analysis not self evident glib word salads. Perhaps the silence is a precursor to a big one this weekend because of work being done low key, I so hope.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 9:38pm Jimmy has been very solid and stood up to the constant pressure our defence has been under, like most of the back six.

Defenders have had far better effort relative to small forwards and mids this season.

Jimmy often looks to initiate offensive moves as well as defend hard and does more often than not. I like him a lot as a player and he now seems sound.

However how many top 4 sides would he make. Lately I have been asking myself that about a number of players I have thought pretty good and find more often than not the answer is none.

I think a lot of fans and the Club management have made the same rooky error of over rating our players. I thought that the team was producing less than the sum of its parts, but probably just over valued the parts.

If you graph our season by net points per game it shows a shocking decline - free fall? - to the pits (Adelaide) half way through; a sputtering revival off the mat at the 8 count from about R11 and now it looks like a further descent until season's end.

Saying injuries are the cause does not seem to account for the magnitude of decline. Has any other club gone further backwards from last year.

Boy I wait for the silence from the Club to be broken by way of insightful analysis not self evident glib word salads. Perhaps the silence is a precursor to a big one this weekend because of work being done low key, I so hope.

He would make all top 4 sides best 22 if he was on their lists.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 9:47pm
Yorkeys wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 9:38pm Jimmy has been very solid and stood up to the constant pressure our defence has been under, like most of the back six.

No he wouldn’t
He’s had a decent year but when he fumbles/brain fades....he really brain fades and it costs us...
Paton comes back and I think his spot is under threat big time

“Yeah….nah””
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 10:04pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 9:47pm

No he wouldn’t
He’s had a decent year but when he fumbles/brain fades....he really brain fades and it costs us...
Paton comes back and I think his spot is under threat big time
Yes he would if he was on their lists. He’s taken all the big name medium/ small forwards this year.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Has gone well, but has made a habit of costly brain fades.

Does he get a game with Paton, McKenzie, Coff and Geary all available?

You can’t fit 28 in the best 22

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
minneapolis
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 3:18pm Wasn’t a big fan personally…
I kept hearing about how great he was but he never seemed to play a good season up until this year. Always injured or in and out.

Has been superb this year
He would be better if he could eliminate the habit of falling over when in a contest. It drives me nuts.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Good player. Quick and tough. Maybe gets a gig on the wing when Paton is back.

St Plugger
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Thu 05 Aug 2021 10:40am Good player. Quick and tough.
Just about sums JWeb up!

older saint
SS Life Member

Good player and has had a good year. Bit taller than Paton ( or seems to be) .

With a full list to me it is him or Paton but not both. McKenzie should never play back again so not in discussion.

Where Connolly fits not sure but to me next cab off the rank.

That said is a player I could see us trading in a win win scenario trade if we identified a specific player for a specific need.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 05 Aug 2021 11:37am Good player and has had a good year. Bit taller than Paton ( or seems to be) .

With a full list to me it is him or Paton but not both. McKenzie should never play back again so not in discussion.

Where Connolly fits not sure but to me next cab off the rank.

That said is a player I could see us trading in a win win scenario trade if we identified a specific player for a specific need.
Yeah I tend to agree… they’re not really like for like. Webster plays taller and tries to be a play maker at times.
Isn’t Paton essentially a stopper

Seems to me that he’s more in competition with a guy like Highmore in playing taller and being a play maker type

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Dud

older saint
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote: Thu 05 Aug 2021 11:55amDud
I wish I had the talent to been a dud footballer then, bank balance would look a lot better !

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 04 Aug 2021 8:50pm I've always been a fan. He copped a lot of unfair criticism on here in previous years. Paton returning will have the coaches scratching their heads on where to play Webster. What's possible is they end up using Paton somewhere else. He played most of his junior football as a midfielder.
+1

I’m a big fan of this sort of post for two reasons. Firstly, we need to retain players in the team who can play a role and Webster has fulfilled his role as a defender on the smalls. He doesn’t make as many mistakes as Hill or Dougal!! No one is perfect.

If Jimmy gets another solid preseason I think he keeps his spot and we should try Paton up the ground, especially if that is where he’s played most of his junior footy.

I also think it will take a few VFL games and a few AFL games next year before Ben regains his form from 2020.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Paton was a Back Pocket in the TAC Cup

Is clearly a defender

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Can Webster play somewhere else?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 05 Aug 2021 8:59pm Paton was a Back Pocket in the TAC Cup

Is clearly a defender
No he wasn’t.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He was the back pocket in the TAC Cup team of the year as a BP

In 2017, he returned to the Bushrangers and moved from the midfield to defence. Paton played for Vic Country in the 2017 AFL Under 18 Championships and was selected in the All-Australian side.

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "Ben Paton is a 19 year-old rebounding defender who got a taste of VFL action this season and looks set to impact the AFL sooner rather than later"

OVERVIEW

Ben Paton is an over-age medium defender from Murray Bushrangers who has impressed with his rebounding, run and carry and ability to read the play. He shone for the Bushrangers, where he played a range of defensive and attacking roles off half back. Paton also was able to run out on Etihad Stadium for Collingwood’s VFL side when they took on Richmond in the middle of the year. He has improved his game from his top-age year and looks set to earn a chance on an AFL list with his second attempt.

STRENGTHS

Intercept ability
Vertical leap
Pace
Ability to lock down a man and still get his own ball
After playing through the midfield last year, Paton was sent to the half-back line this season, which saw immediate results. His skillset is well suited to being a rebounding defender, as he loves to run and carry and is a fantastic intercept player. He reads the flight of the ball well and is very dangerous when lurking a kick behind the play. He has a very nice leap, as evidenced by his top 10 result in the National Combine vertical leap, and can crash a pack to pull down big contested marks when required.

He is quite pacy and likes to take the game on off half back. He usually gets the ball and wheels onto his right foot straight away to move the game on quickly, which is very effective in breaking the lines and penetrating through the opposition’s zone.

One of Paton’s big strengths is that he can lock down an opposition defender while still finding his own ball. Because of his ability to read the play and gain intercept possessions, Paton can beat his man and win his own ball at the contest. He has taken some big scalps this year, including keeping Gryan Miers goalless and playing well on Jack Higgins during the TAC Cup season.

IMPROVEMENTS

Decision making
Endurance
Hands in close
While he finds the footy well, Paton is not always an effective user of the football. His footskills are fine, with the ability to kick off both feet and hit short and long targets, however his decision making ability is often lacking. He accelerates away from the contest and plays on frequently without looking to see what is ahead which can lead to rushed and sometimes ineffective possessions. His disposal by hand when under pressure can also be quite sloppy.

Another limitation for Paton is his endurance. This limited him when playing in the midfield last year and has not improved in the 2017 season. While this could be hidden when playing off half back in the TAC Cup, he will need to improve it to stay with the elite small forwards at the AFL level.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Seems like he played as a defender?!

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Reasonably comprehensive

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi