Internal Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Internal Review

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 24 Jun 2021 11:56am
Vortex wrote: Thu 24 Jun 2021 11:42am
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 24 Jun 2021 11:11am respect and honesty are two nice words that mean nothing really, because it depends on context.

You cannot hang your hat on a simple word.
Actions around effort is hopefully getting little respect internally for those players not bringing it.

Ratts threatens in the video that players who don't bring respect will be moved on, interesting times ahead during the trade period.
what about contracts?
If a guy like DMack is still contracted, he can't be cut. Kent as well.
They will just stay in VFL and become "list cloggers" i.e. taking up a spot that should go to a young draftee
Maybe they have very good manners and have the respect of the coach.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Vortex wrote: Thu 24 Jun 2021 10:57am I think coaches and game plans are not as important as having a finals/flag capable list, having said that I am concerned the Ratts mantra has allowed our players to be comfortable enough that they know they will still get a game, so basically a question of selection integrity and accountability. Now I know it has been difficult this year due to the lack of depth on our list however I just watched this video on the AFL website which asks each coach what the non negotiables are, interestingly whilst most coaches stated effort and/or team first, Ratts said his was "respect".

For mine this messaging is ambiguous because surely respect sits closely behind attitude, effort and the team first mentatlity. The amiguitiy around respect comes with the differnt types of respect, respect for your Mum, mind your manners etc, then there is respect from your peers that is earnt from bringing the right attitude, effort and team first mentality.

I reckon the coach would have lost a bit of respect for not dropping players when he should have. The fish rots from the head. Ironically the club has little to no respect for it's efforts on the footy field this year and I hope Ratts is getting feedback on changing his non negotiables.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/634982/-be ... 4478400001
You can't have a "team first" mentality and a "family first" mentality. First is first. You have to choose.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Thu 24 Jun 2021 4:57pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 24 Jun 2021 10:57am I think coaches and game plans are not as important as having a finals/flag capable list, having said that I am concerned the Ratts mantra has allowed our players to be comfortable enough that they know they will still get a game, so basically a question of selection integrity and accountability. Now I know it has been difficult this year due to the lack of depth on our list however I just watched this video on the AFL website which asks each coach what the non negotiables are, interestingly whilst most coaches stated effort and/or team first, Ratts said his was "respect".

For mine this messaging is ambiguous because surely respect sits closely behind attitude, effort and the team first mentatlity. The amiguitiy around respect comes with the differnt types of respect, respect for your Mum, mind your manners etc, then there is respect from your peers that is earnt from bringing the right attitude, effort and team first mentality.

I reckon the coach would have lost a bit of respect for not dropping players when he should have. The fish rots from the head. Ironically the club has little to no respect for it's efforts on the footy field this year and I hope Ratts is getting feedback on changing his non negotiables.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/634982/-be ... 4478400001
You can't have a "team first" mentality and a "family first" mentality. First is first. You have to choose.
TOTALLY!...it's the ultimate saccrifice to put team first and therin lies our problem. Player availability is our biggest issue and not necessarily as a result of injury.