Saints management is like Helicopter parents

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Saints management is like Helicopter parents

I know it's the against the grain of many on this forum but I've had a gutful of the pitiful excuses and covering for all our players. Calling media outlets and requesting that they change their headlines is embarrassing. Hardly soul destroying the headline 'Missy Higgins' in fact I thought it was quite apt and clever. I like Jack as a player as he has a real go, but let's get fair dinkum, this is professional sport and the stakes are high. He didn't deliver in the key area we pay him to and he got what I'd consider a small (but deserving) clip from the media about his yips. Big deal! It's like the dad who rings the coach because his son didn't like being told off at halftime.

Max King played awful. Yes he had excuses but once again, so what?? Garry Lyon wasn't the only one to have a go at him, in fact I read how on SEN and ABC they almost mirrored exactly what Lyon and Brown was saying. Maybe the big league isn't for Max? Or maybe he just bunkers down and works his arse off to amend the weaknesses in his game.

Everyone loves the fact that key players in our leadership group are coming home to be with families. These guys are being paid corporate wages. Yes it would be dreadfully hard what they are going through but the message it sends me is that they have given the season away. If they no longer care why should we? We are ripped with injuries atm and cuddly Ratts says, 'yes go home boys, be with your families.'

Well I've had a gutful of this cuddly feely stuff. I enjoyed this club far more when a hard arse like Lyon was in charge and winning seemed to be a priority....

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints management is like Helicopter parents

It’s funny... I had this gripe in the latter part of the Richo regimen.

Unfortunately it extends to a large portion of the supporter base too.

Don’t criticise Richo
McCartin must be persevered with
Hannebery and Kent were great trades
Newnes is a future captain
Joyce “I can’t spoil from behind” is a defensive weapon

Some ppl here still sprout that stuff and make out that those of us that question are bad supporters

Embracing mediocrity IMO is what makes it worse

saynta
Saintsational Legend

f*** me. Leffers sticks up for his players and cops a canning from this ,at times, pathetic forum.

What a f****** sin Leffers. You should have known better.
How dare he.

Vazelos
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 7:14pm It’s funny... I had this gripe in the latter part of the Richo regimen.

Don’t criticise Richo

Some ppl here still sprout that stuff and make out that those of us that question are bad supporters

Same people pop up skeptic it’s like running a local council mentality handing out grounds for participation sports maybe some of us support for different reasons.
I want a flag and I want to be a strong club.
If people are in this organisation and they can’t get us there then please leave.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

I agree with the OP.

Too much cuddly feely stuff coming out of the club, not enough tough love.

If King and Higgings have to be protected from criticism then we're validating their tender feelings and only making them more vulnerable later on.

Apparently we have what might be called a Cuddles Room, ffs, where players go to hug each other before matches.

Too much of this stuff and you end up with a volatile Jekyll & Hyde side. And guess what -- that's exactly what we've got.

Would much prefer a hard-arse like Lyon.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I thought the Missy Higgins headline was clever rather than offensive but there you go, maybe the whole club is getting cuddly, feely.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 7:30pm f*** me. Leffers sticks up for his players and cops a canning from this ,at times, pathetic forum.

How dare he.
That's EXACTLY the mentality of the Helicopter parent. I was just sticking up for my kid.

Problem is, they didn't need anyone to stick up for them. Jack's kicking was abysmal and yes, quite probably cost us the game. Most fair minded pundits also acknowledge that he played so well that he was one of few that was capable of putting us in a position to win the game. But it was inevitable that the media was going to write about it after a close loss. It's the club's job to wrap their arms around the kid and let him know that the big bad media will give us a break once we do something well. I reckon we've got off pretty light this year and we need to take our medicine.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What else would you expect from someone with that kind of track record

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the Saints need an independent review of the club and it's football department, like Carlton is going to do. Start with List management and player development.

I think the Blues might have had enough of Teague's training wheels. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 8:00pm
saynta wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 7:30pm f*** me. Leffers sticks up for his players and cops a canning from this ,at times, pathetic forum.

How dare he.
That's EXACTLY the mentality of the Helicopter parent. I was just sticking up for my kid.

Problem is, they didn't need anyone to stick up for them. Jack's kicking was abysmal and yes, quite probably cost us the game. Most fair minded pundits also acknowledge that he played so well that he was one of few that was capable of putting us in a position to win the game. But it was inevitable that the media was going to write about it after a close loss. It's the club's job to wrap their arms around the kid and let him know that the big bad media will give us a break once we do something well. I reckon we've got off pretty light this year and we need to take our medicine.
Mentality? FFS. You have your opinion and you expressed it.
Same here. I expressed my opinion which didn't line up with yours. Tough, but that is what forums are for.

Only difference is I didn't deem it necessary to denigrate the poster.

Nothing wrong with sticking up for your kids.IMHFO.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Players encouraged to be "in touch with their feelings" are players who don't feel like playing on certain days because something triggered them before the match.

Maybe their best mate X was insulted by Y and they're bleeding so much for the guy that they can't get into the game.

Big deal. Nobody cares.

Ditch the psychologists -- they've demonstrably failed -- and probably Matt "Gender Neutral Toilets" Finnis as well.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 7:14pm It’s funny... I had this gripe in the latter part of the Richo regimen.

Don’t criticise Richo

Agree with you Skeptic. They’ve lost me, the lot of them. Bassatt’s comments that our flag window opens next year - nothing wrong with what’s going on folks, everything’s okay.
Lethlean’s spin and excuses. The Hannebery trade and the spin and nepotism around that.
Ratten comes out before the last game and whines about the way the Saints are being portrayed in the media : “we’re 1 and 10 aren’t we. We don’t agree with the narrative that’s out there.” i.e. We’re 5 and 6 and not far off it (if you just park those 10 goal losses)
Finnis is still there.
Sexton is still there.
Recruiting team are essentially the same as the Richo era - sans he who chose Mr. McCartin.

Basically the club is being run by the same crew who let Richo drive us into a brick wall, denialism is king and everything’s okay coz we’re just one big family.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints showed a lot more fight than certain.posters I am not going to name.

saintkid
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 8:56pm

Don’t criticise Richo

Agree with you Skeptic. They’ve lost me, the lot of them. Bassatt’s comments that our flag window opens next year - nothing wrong with what’s going on folks, everything’s okay.
Lethlean’s spin and excuses. The Hannebery trade and the spin and nepotism around that.
Ratten comes out before the last game and whines about the way the Saints are being portrayed in the media : “we’re 1 and 10 aren’t we. We don’t agree with the narrative that’s out there.” i.e. We’re 5 and 6 and not far off it (if you just park those 10 goal losses)
Finnis is still there.
Sexton is still there.
Recruiting team are essentially the same as the Richo era - sans he who chose Mr. McCartin.

Basically the club is being run by the same crew who let Richo drive us into a brick wall, denialism is king and everything’s okay coz we’re just one big family.
Good post...true.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I can’t believe how stupid our club can be. If we aren’t already, is Lethlean trying to turn us into a laughing stock. I thought you were supposed to ignore insults and online trolls, not bring attention to them. Sounds like a big time deflection to me for poor performances all around.

The reference was cute and mildly funny, but not something to get upset about. A bit thin skinned which can’t be a good thing in the cut throat world of AFL.

It must have been deeply upsetting for Jack. I’m sure the opposition will take Jack’s feelings into account and not call him “Missy Higgins” when he’s lining up as that would be offensive and really hurtful and might throw him off.

Have a laugh, don’t take it too seriously but relax and do your best to try and get better.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintkid
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 9:12pm Saints showed a lot more fight than certain.posters I am not going to name.
????

Yeah, whatever you say. Collingwood have one bad season and the whole club is up for review. That's what professional clubs that are results oriented do.

We have several seasons of mediocrity and still the same 'we'll be right attitude' with little acountability.

The club needs a major shake-up, otherwise we will be in the doldrums for the next decade also.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Please Saynta...

When it comes to running from a fight, you’re the biggest act in town.

Do you actually have anything to contribute other than non-specific discontent at forumites that you’re ignoring? As I seem to occupy a permanent spot in your head, I’ll no doubt see you at my next post.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 8:34pm
Moods wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 8:00pm

How dare he.

Mentality? FFS. You have your opinion and you expressed it.
Same here. I expressed my opinion which didn't line up with yours. Tough, but that is what forums are for.

Only difference is I didn't deem it necessary to denigrate the poster.

Nothing wrong with sticking up for your kids.IMHFO.
You felt denigrated by what I wrote???

My god, your skin must be tissue thin.

I have stuck up for my kids over the years on numerous occasions and sometimes they copped what they deserved. They’re adults now, and as a rule hopefully they can fight their own battles.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

"Calling media outlets and requesting that they change their headlines is embarrassing..." "...however I enjoyed this club far more when a hard arse" was running it (paraphrase). No comprende.

We are expected to take the unbalanced disrespect? Come on, don't you see where Lyon and the AFL jerk are coming from and their negative agenda.

Copping the s*** Lyon and AFL punster put on us via our men under the pretense of commentary/humour is rubbish behaviour, but congratulating them, nuts, why let them slap your face and say thanks. How come the dissing doesn't fire you up, Club standing up against calculated insults is good isn't it.

And the pun Missy Higgins. Does Jack sing and compose really well? Does Missy play football badly? What a ridiculous misogynous pun, isn't it, or is it really clever, you think. All in good fun. Sexist and also designed to demean Jack (and Missy?). And so many supporters find it clever. Well that's enlightening. The irony is if Jack did perform as well as Missy he would have kicked 7.

Lyon is a wanker. Cheer him on against Max, why?

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

OMG.

Footage of the team on On the Couch meditating on the SCG pre-game (and wearing masks). Flat on their backs with eyes closed.

This New Age crap has got to stop.

PURGE PURGE PURGE the numbnuts responsible!!!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: We are expected to take the unbalanced disrespect? Come on, don't you see where Lyon and the AFL jerk are coming from and their negative agenda.

I guess I listened to it and agreed with much of what they were saying. I didn't think they had an agenda but were identifying one of the key areas in which we were falling down. The delivery into the fwd line, and the lack of work rate of our main key target.

[b]Copping the s*** Lyon and AFL punster put on us via our men under the pretense of commentary/humour is rubbish behaviour, but congratulating them, nuts, why let them slap your face and say thanks. How come the dissing doesn't fire you up, Club standing up against calculated insults is good isn't it.[/b]

I didn't hear once them making jokes about Max. I'll have to listen to it again but what was the jokes they were making. On the contrary, when Max did do something positive they were very quick to praise him.

And the pun Missy Higgins. Does Jack sing and compose really well? Does Missy play football badly? What a ridiculous misogynous pun, isn't it, or is it really clever, you think. All in good fun. Sexist and also designed to demean Jack (and Missy?). And so many supporters find it clever. Well that's enlightening. The irony is if Jack did perform as well as Missy he would have kicked 7.

Seriously? Do we take ourselves that seriously now?? Do you honestly believe that Missy Higgins is sitting back offended by that headline. It's a play on words using Higgins surname and the fact he missed a lot of shots on goals and the headline was catchy because it's someone's name. That's all. Nothing else. We don't need to look for offense. Would you prefer, 'Saints blow finals chance.' ?? 'Poor kicking costs Saints the game'? Because whatever way you look at it that's what the story was. We had a chance to win it but the bloke who had already kicked 5 behinds for the day kicked another behind from a kickable position. It's not demeaning, that's professional sport.

Lyon is a wanker. Cheer him on against Max, why?[/b]

I reckon you'll find that once Max finds form Lyon will be one of the first to put his hand up and say he shitcanned him, but also congratulate Max for turning it around. Lyon, regardless of whatever you think of him personally, always has been pretty fair on young players.

My own opinion is that the players tried their guts out but for some reason the cohesion and system of last year is sadly missing. Infuriatingly our skills have gone back to pre 2020 levels and our goal kicking is embarrassing. To have the CEO call media outlets and tell them to go easy on our boys and request they change the headlines smacks of a soft underbelly systemic through the club.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

It's about time we toughened up as a team and supporters.

1 premiership and 27 wooden spoons (next worse is North Melbourne with 13 wooden spoons) in 124 years of VFL/AFL and another 23 years in the VFA before that (1877). That's 144 years with one premiership.

Front Wikipedia:
St Kilda developed a reputation as perennial underachievers, much of this attributed to their record of finishing last more often than any other club in the league (27 times), as well as having the second lowest all-time win percentage of any team still playing in the league.

It's time we started winning and stopped mamby pambying the players.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

AFL Media are also a piece of work.

Hypocritical and selective mongrels.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

My last word on this subject. Good on you Leffers, I'm sure the team appreciate you.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 11:25pm OMG.

Footage of the team on On the Couch meditating on the SCG pre-game (and wearing masks). Flat on their backs with eyes closed.

This New Age crap has got to stop.

PURGE PURGE PURGE the numbnuts responsible!!!
That "wellness" session didn't seem to do them much good!
Perhaps the pregame time could have been better spent doing some goal shooting?

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!