Ratts Claims Mass Changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ratts Claims Mass Changes

What do people think this will look like?

If it's dropping players then that could see us losing by even more because we don't really have any AFL capable players at Sandy.

As I said in another thread I think we are seeing a real crisis deepen before our eyes.

Now that we are officially out of finals contention we can focus on 2022. I don't think we can trade or recruit our way out of this because we set a course a few years ago that has to go the full journey which in my mind is another 2 to 3 years with this core list before we cut our losses and go the full rebuild route again.

So this bunch of selfish pricks is who we are stuck with until their contracts run out, let's hope they grow some pride for the jumper by 2022.

MickThomas
Club Player

Re: Ratts Claims Mass Changes

Coff had 8 touches in VFL.
We know what Dunstan brings.
Clav isn't apparently any good.
The Zebs couldn't win a game against a team of 18 Tayla Harrises

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Dropping players and bringing in worse players

Not sure that helps?

Dunstan should be rewarded

Are any other 2s players AFL standard??
Although Dunstan isn’t either

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 12:11pm Dropping players and bringing in worse players

Not sure that helps?

Wood and Dunstan are certain starters against Norf.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 12:11pm Dropping players and bringing in worse players

Not sure that helps?

It really is a crisis isn't BM. Do you pull the "statement" lever and drop some high profile players and more or less concede it's not about winning for the short term?

Butler and Hill would be the first two I'd drop. I know there has been a lot said about Hill this year but I think Butler has flown under the radar and largely dodged the blow torch for being a lazy prick.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Main change needed is a new coach and assistants - need a clean out and a coaching staff that can train a resilient team that shows a little more pride and never give up attitude. we are an embarrassment - most mentally weak team in the competition. A little tactical nous wouldn't go astray either. Ratts is well past his used bt date - had a bit of a dead cat bounce last year in very strange circumstances, now the cats is starting to smell pretty bad.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Maybe they'll bring in Patrikios and Smith for the Norf game. 🤡

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Last thing we need is a change of coach

Happy to review the recruitment and trading team tho and sure if we can bring in some highly regarded assistants then do it

What we need is a focus on youth. We have to trade out some quality for another first rounder and potentially another player that can net us a 2nd rounder

Hit the mid season and next years draft hard and if we can offload some salary via hannas target a mid age bracket <25 years

Delist of retire the long list of players listed on another thread
Hannas
Dmac
Dunstan
Carlisle
Geary
Wood
McKernan
Hunter
Et al

#1 Ryder fan
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

At this point we should pick players on their attitude/effort and not on their pay packet.

Bring the Dunstan’s in and leave the Hill’s out.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sanctorum
Club Player

I was at the Zebras game against Aspley yesterday, they only stitched up the 4 points in the last 10 minutes and were not particularly impressive.

Of the St Kilda players Dunstan was alright but against a weak opposition it wasn't much of a test.

Alabakis got plenty of tap-outs but to little effect and didn't do much around the ground.

Mason Wood, Darragh Joyce, Ben Long, Nick Coffield were only so-so - the latter's kicking is way off at the moment.

I thought Matthew Allison showed a bit of promise, once he bulks up his 195 cm height will add physicality to his game, good hands and kicked alright.

Oscar Clavarino not bad in patches, but at 22 and in his fourth season and yet to debut (pick 35 2017) you'd have to wonder if he'll make it in the big time...which started me searching and found the following were overlooked when St Kilda picked Clav:

36 - Charlie Constable 12 games Geelong
38 - Jack Petrucelle 35 WCE
42 - Charlie Ballard 57 GCS
45 - James Worpel 58 Hawthorn
51 - Kane Farrell 27 Power
38 - Zac Langdon 38 GWS/WCE
and the really BIG ONE that was on my list as a Stevie Milne type and it really hurts - 57 - Gryan Miers - 53 Geelong
67 - Dylan Moore 20 Hawthorn
73 - Sam Switkowski 25 Freo
76 - Mat Guelfi 50 Hawthorn

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sanctorum
Club Player

As for last night's humiliating debacle and one that would have given Ratts a sleepless night, as it did supporters, I have a firm view that the players need to be asked, individually and collectively, what explanation THEY have for this total reversal of form from the game against Geelong last week.

They need to be brutally honest and find out why the great form they showed in 2020 has gone, did they forget to pack it up and bring back to Moorabbin when they left Noosa???

I don't believe that Ratten is the problem, it's the bloody players - you can't tell me that the coaches would have directed the team to play any differently to the way they did last week, no way!

It has long occurred to me that what the players need is the Malthouse approach to developing a strong backbone, he was the best at making men out of boys and he didn't do that by being all touchy-feely - it is all about "tough love", that's how you develop players to become mentally tough and uncompromising and to be bold and hard so as to defeat your opponent.

I will be really disappointed if they don't respond and belt the crap out of North Melbourne next week!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
DJ Higgins
Club Player

We are having a poor season for sure but don't forget we have been smashed by injuries.
Carlisle. For my money career over
Gresham Achilles so year done
Patton leg broken thanks roughie.
Jones quad out for month's and
Romo a month.

These are players that we a re missing massively. I am not counting dan as he is not part of the team in my opinion

In saying that our performance was awful and ratta didn't change much when we were in trouble. No plan b or he gave up as well

George27
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 12:45pm I was at the Zebras game against Aspley yesterday, they only stitched up the 4 points in the last 10 minutes and were not particularly impressive.

Of the St Kilda players Dunstan was alright but against a weak opposition it wasn't much of a test.

Alabakis got plenty of tap-outs but to little effect and didn't do much around the ground.

Mason Wood, Darragh Joyce, Ben Long, Nick Coffield were only so-so - the latter's kicking is way off at the moment.

I thought Matthew Allison showed a bit of promise, once he bulks up his 195 cm height will add physicality to his game, good hands and kicked alright.

Oscar Clavarino not bad in patches, but at 22 and in his fourth season and yet to debut (pick 35 2017) you'd have to wonder if he'll make it in the big time...which started me searching and found the following were overlooked when St Kilda picked Clav:

36 - Charlie Constable 12 games Geelong
38 - Jack Petrucelle 35 WCE
42 - Charlie Ballard 57 GCS
45 - James Worpel 58 Hawthorn
51 - Kane Farrell 27 Power
38 - Zac Langdon 38 GWS/WCE
and the really BIG ONE that was on my list as a Stevie Milne type and it really hurts - 57 - Gryan Miers - 53 Geelong
67 - Dylan Moore 20 Hawthorn
73 - Sam Switkowski 25 Freo
76 - Mat Guelfi 50 Hawthorn
That is good news re Matthew Allison. He had not seemed to be showing much in earlier games, so glad to read that he is improving .

George27
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 12:44pm At this point we should pick players on their attitude/effort and not on their pay packet.

Bring the Dunstan’s in and leave the Hill’s out.
I agree totally , Dud. There must be reward for effort . The worst part of last night was watching blokes jogging around.

axcellence
Club Player

Jason Home Cup is coming up!!!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 3:06pm We are having a poor season for sure but don't forget we have been smashed by injuries.
Carlisle. For my money career over
Gresham Achilles so year done
Patton leg broken thanks roughie.
Jones quad out for month's and
Romo a month.

These are players that we a re missing massively. I am not counting dan as he is not part of the team in my opinion

In saying that our performance was awful and ratta didn't change much when we were in trouble. No plan b or he gave up as well
Every team has injuries. The Dogs were also missing a few last night. It’s no excuse.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Matthew Allison looks and is a mile off.

Watching him play, I cannot believe we took him with our first selection.

Hopefully he develops, but a long way off atm

MickThomas
Club Player

Gtrain was at the game last week, to see if he could maybe help.
he'll be brought in to play FF

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
saynta
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 5:22pm Gtrain was at the game last week, to see if he could maybe help.
he'll be brought in to play FF
:wink: 8-)

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ratts Claims Mass Shootings

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I missed Benny Hill's presser, i'm sure it was hilarious.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 5:11pm Matthew Allison looks and is a mile off.

Watching him play, I cannot believe we took him with our first selection.

Hopefully he develops, but a long way off atm
Yep and Caleb Poulter had 22 disposals for Collingwood on a wing. Our recruiting and talent identification has been the worst in the competition for decades and that continues.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I'm wondering if the coaching is part of the problem, obviously it is the players who are behaving like lazy pricks and choosing when to give a crap but is the coaching too soft. I can't remember which SS poster said this but "choose your own adventure" seems to be how Cuddles rolls. I think the decision to let Hill take off to Perth mid season after a belting was an appalling look and it wouldn't surprise me if it has created tension in the group. I'm not saying that event alone is the reason for our season ending in the sewer but just making the point that mass changes should include improving team discipline.
Last edited by Vortex on Sun 23 May 2021 8:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Gears but time to go!!

See ya Frawley, Hunter, McKernan, Lonie, Wood, Alabakis, Hannebery, Carlisle, Dunstan,

Clavarino, Connolly, Coffield & Highmore/Joyce must play the rest of the year and see if they can impact - Byrnes & Bytel must be kept in the side

We aren't playing finals with our % and the remaining fixture set up .... so slow deadwood out and youth in

No more topping up - draft speed, speed and more speed with ball winning capabilities and some decent skills

This week v North -

Out - Frawley, McKernan, Lonie, Geary

In - Clavarino, Connolly, Coffield, Highmore/Joyce

Paddy to stop tip tapping the ball (to opposition mids) and smash it forward when the chance arises - Battle/Clavarino/Howard to be 2nd ruck and switching down back

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 8:34pm I'm wondering if the coaching is part of the problem, obviously it is the players who are behaving like lazy pricks and choosing when to give a crap but is the coaching too soft. I can't remember which SS poster said this but "choose your own adventure" seems to be how Cuddles rolls. I think the decision to let Hill take off to Perth mid season after a belting was an appalling look and it wouldn't surprise me if it has created tension in the group. I'm not saying that event alone is the reason for our season ending in the sewer but just making the point that mass changes should include improving team discipline.
The coaching is definitely part of the problem, Benny Hill is running out of ideas.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?