St Kilda, we need to talk

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ape_Man
Club Player

St Kilda, we need to talk

I just want you to know that it's not you, it's me.

It's my fault I believed you could change. My fault that I continue to allow myself to be seduced by your false hope.

This relationship has been too one sided for too long.

You ask, I give. So many of us give.

Our time, our money... Our hearts.

When are you going to hold up your end of this relationship?

Other than glimpses, or teases, or bloody useless marketing campaigns, it has been a long time since you made good on any promise you have made.

This post may be affected by alcohol, but my hangover tomorrow will be based on my actions and not my words.

Your words don't mean much these days, make it so your actions do.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: St Kilda, we need to talk

Ape_Man wrote: Sat 22 May 2021 11:33pm I just want you to know that it's not you, it's me.

It's my fault I believed you could change. My fault that I continue to allow myself to be seduced by your false hope.

This relationship has been too one sided for too long.

You ask, I give. So many of us give.

Our time, our money... Our hearts.

When are you going to hold up your end of this relationship?

Other than glimpses, or teases, or bloody useless marketing campaigns, it has been a long time since you made good on any promise you have made.

This post may be affected by alcohol, but my hangover tomorrow will be based on my actions and not my words.

Your words don't mean much these days, make it so your actions do.
I feel your pain mate & I don't have the answers but I know what you mean :(

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Last year was like a boon in 'false economy'. Our list and team gelled well in the hub, and the entire club got ahead of itself. Same old St Kilda (Lethlean & Gallagher) thought they could top up our with cast offs and go into a season 4 players short.

The club had a poor preseason and with injuries to key players our list has been completely exposed. Our continued inability to nail draft choices has been a leg rope pulling us down.

We now offically have the 2nd worst percentage in the comp and IMO will be lucky if we finish above the bottom 4. What a poor decision it now is to trade away early draft picks for Hill & Higgins.

When will our club ever learn that there are no quick fixes, you have to find the best kids in the draft and develop them.

MickThomas
Club Player

Byrnes and Bytel will come on nicely.
It"s not all doom and gloom.
We needed to trade picks for Higgins.

We can't really develop anyway.
Clavarino was in the 2017 TAC Team of the year, with Coff, Hunter Clark, and Ben Paton.
Clavarino has stalled.
Coff got 8 touches at Sandy.
Byrnes and Bytel will hopefully not stall like Coff.

So we need a mix of youth and experience.

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Ape_Man
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 22 May 2021 11:51pm What a poor decision it now is to trade away early draft picks for Hill & Higgins.
The Hill deal went too far. The draft picks should have been enough. Acres skewed that deal too far away from us.

Since then, it seems like we are chasing our bets and trading instead of drafting.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 12:08am Byrnes and Bytel will come on nicely.
It"s not all doom and gloom.
We needed to trade picks for Higgins.

We can't really develop anyway.
Clavarino was in the 2017 TAC Team of the year, with Coff, Hunter Clark, and Ben Paton.
Clavarino has stalled.
Coff got 8 touches at Sandy.
Byrnes and Bytel will hopefully not stall like Coff.

So we need a mix of youth and experience.
Thats not lack of development, thats just poor recruiting - on repeat. Clavarino was never going to have the body of an AFL footballer and Coffield was an appalling choice given who was picked after him. CoffIeld has lost all confidence, but he has also been terribly exposed for his lack of speed. He would have to be nearly the slowest player on our list, just in front of Dunstan.

Ape_Man
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 12:19am Thats not lack of development, thats just poor recruiting - on repeat. Clavarino was never going to have the body of an AFL footballer and Coffield was an appalling choice given who was picked after him. CoffIeld has lost all confidence, but he has also been terribly exposed for his lack of speed. He would have to be nearly the slowest player on our list, just in front of Dunstan.
I'm not sure about that.

I believe our inability to develop players is a huge concern.

A lot is made of us picking the wrong player. Sometimes with years of hindsight.

But what are the odds of us actually getting it wrong so often?

I'm pretty sure we don't just have a quick pick at draft time
It's not Powerball.

MickThomas
Club Player

'You don't have to believe me, but trust me, the boys are hurting as much as you are'

I'm getting it out there before the guy who works at RSEA Park, the one who cleans the guttering and sweeps the carpark

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Should we tell the club we are not allowing them to automatically renew our membership s until after the Trade and Draft period, that would have them thinking, for once.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

But what is there to say. Hasn't it all been said so many times for last 10 years. Try just screaming at the moon, get more response.

seano1
Club Player

bobmurray wrote: Sun 23 May 2021 1:10am Should we tell the club we are not allowing them to automatically renew our membership s until after the Trade and Draft period, that would have them thinking, for once.
Bloody good point .....they can stick mine next year

seano1
Club Player

Fraser g said last week....we are a poor club people have done it tough to go to the games buy membership etc ....but are or is our board filled with wealthy considerable knowable well to do’s .......are they in it for their egos ? Are they fighting among each other to see whose got the bigger dick ?
They’ve have to be putting some pressure on the footy dept to a ... sorry hamil you’ve had your time go and close the door behind you ...next ! Ruck coach ...who are you ? You too go and close the door behind you ..Next recruiting dept .....just get the f*** out don’t come back Monday

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Development seems to be an issue.

Blokes like Long and Battle have gone backwards after showing huge upside. I thought Coff was looking good but now is in the 2s.

Where are our young blokes from last draft, they close to getting a game?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

When 90% of a team stops trying there is something terribly wrong at the club? I dont know what it is but they are not playing selfless team footy. Just the small effort 1% have completely gone from their game.

Perhaps the injuries to key players has sucked the life out of them. Watching that senseless late tackle by Roughead on Paton breaking his leg was the start of the decline. Losing Marshall is a huge loss, he is our most important player and take Jones & Gresham out and we lose our point of difference. Our top end talent (10 players) are really good, but after that our list drops away significantly.