Is anyone done?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Is anyone done?

Never. But I must admit to watching the Tigers and Port game last week and thinking we were nowhere near the standard needed to get even close to it this year.

Tonight's game proves it.

What can you do but keep at it.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Is anyone done?

Do we really need a third thread on this?

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think we all should write to Bassat, and ask the club to stop serving up tripe to members and supporters. Our woeful recruiting and development has contributed to this embarrassment.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

There are certain players that lift your team and they are usually contested ball beasts

Without them you have much less chances of winning.

Their strength and their competitiveness lifts the whole side

I’m calling it. No Marshall. No St Kilda

Yes we beat GWS without him, but that’s because they’re not finals quality.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 10:56pm There are certain players that lift your team and they are usually contested ball beasts

I get the sentiment re Marshall but I'm not sure he would have made a difference. I don't know why we have become so fragile but is it now officially a thing?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Gags is not the Messiah.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 11:12pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 10:56pm There are certain players that lift your team and they are usually contested ball beasts

I get the sentiment re Marshall but I'm not sure he would have made a difference. I don't know why we have become so fragile but is it now officially a thing?
You wouldn’t think we were in the contest at all, but we were ahead at quarter time tonight.

Last week at half time the Eagles were winning on the scoreboard and we had Marshall on the pine and he was possibly going to be subbed out for the whole match. He is a spiritual leader and he is crucial when it comes to contests.

He comes out in the 3rd quarter and he lifts the team with his courage and with some important touches and some tough contested marks.

The coaches (or at least one of them) gave him votes.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Long way back from here. Very disappointing

seano1
Club Player

Yep think I’ll save my money next year .....getting to old for another rebuild . I can’t see me ever seeing us win a grand final and i never saw the last one and I’m 64. They’ll have to build a team around King as he is young enough and the rest are done .
They are not to buy another f***ed hack from another club and pay overs for their retirement.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Disappointed yes .
Effing embarrassing yes
But not unexpected
We had a hard match v the eagles and a five day break .
I know the tigers had a tough match too but the extra day off certainly would have helped. The fact that ratts left romo and skull out shows he was almost conceding this week to have a chance next week .
Richmond are a great team and there was no way they were going to lose three in a row .
I thought we'd get done by 5 or 6 goals .
To get smashed is effing embarrassing
Once again in a big game on prime time tele the players let everybody down .

In red white and black from 73
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Far from done - hanging out to see what happens when get both Ryder & Roma back

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Close..but will hang in there, reluctantly.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Never done I always expect the worst & hope for the best unfortunately tonight was not ideal but I'm a Sainter & I just have to push through the pain barrier yeah it's bloody hard but I'm pretty resilient these days there is always next week or the week after or the week after that but never done maybe disappointed but never done

Ape_Man
Club Player

I am in blood / Stepp'd in so far that, should I wade no more, / Returning were as tedious as go o'er

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Recipe for recovery
1) Forget about media expectations and bubble-gum rubbish cliches and chiko rolls..
2) Identify our weak points...then, face them with percentage tennis,
3) Identify our potential above average opportunities ...and devise a strategy to exploit them
4) Admit that emotional 'reaction-to-disgust' games will never be a sustainable strategy but if it earns 4 points, alright
5) Good habits...start slowly and crank it up steadily

1) whatever man..
2) Totally under strength, under manned, under pressure, under skilled..so, play boring statistically proven safety tennis, boring as it may be. (We tried that tonight and got smashed, but the baby is still alive in the rotten bathwater)
Our midfield is weak..(I don't have a clue what to do with the personal. I can visit a local shrine devoted to health and ask for a St Kilda blessing.
3) King-Butler -Higgins and alt-rock Membrey. Let's face it. Our mids are average, and our much lauded back six of 2020 is now fully exposed and weak...bottom six weak. So..get Joyce in. Joyce in NEXT week!!
4) Yes...we need a chat with the pscych because 'rebounding' will not suit us. Watch Richmond. Despite what the commentators say, all the BS and froth, they are showing weaknesses.
5) I will leave it to the coaches at Moorabbin. I just hope we have got the best of the very best.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

I am for this year, seen them lose often enough for the last 50 years and at 63 I will never see them win a premiership. In fact I will say that the club hasn't a clue how to do that.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

DMac, Dunny and Long, possibly Webster might be done. That group were made to look very VFL.

Dunny's career could be in serious doubt after that performance. Just basic errors, like really basic ones and even when there was pressure on him, like when you have a free kick and shank it out on the full.

Webster's kick out on the full could at least be argued there was pressure due to being in the backline but again, no awareness to take a look around and realise you are clear and just composure yourself while making a decision.

DMacs game last week is something he can be proud of now his AFL career is over too.

Hard to believe it was considered Long playing the Ricmond final could have changed the result, in hindsight it might of...like make it a bigger loss.

I know it's always unfair to single out players in an embarrassing performance like last night but those four players really stood out as being out of their depth, I'm sure there were others.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I'm still seething. Thanks a lot for ruining my weekend. Kents!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Barracking for the Saints is unhealthy

asiu
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 9:10am I'm still seething. Thanks a lot for ruining my weekend. Kents!

haha

thats me

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure they'll have another (!) "honesty session", with the results being nothing really changing...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

What we've learned:

We desperately need Marshall, Ryder, Jones, Gresham, Hannebery, and Paton in that team
Dunstan and Mckenzie have not changed as footballers. The same deficiencies were patently obvious last night. Not part of the future
Bytel is a long way off
Our midfield is slow
Coffield is good on his own but one on one contests are a problem for him
Hill is 'on' only when the rest of the team is 'on'
Billings has one speed
Without our best team on the park we are second rate. The depth we thought we had has evaporated before our eyes.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Oh....and apart from King, there are no exciting players under the age of 21 on our list.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I'm never going to "be done", despite the annihilations against Essendon and Richmond, it has happened before and will happen again.

There is no point in supporting the Saints if you can't handle disappointments - this is an all-weather journey and if you can't handle extreme failure then it's best to bail out and play tournament chess where you are in total control of your destiny to achieve happiness! Or take up championship knitting....

Imagine the stress and pain felt by Brett Ratten while watching his team implode and perform insipidly, when he knows deep down that these players are capable of beating anyone, and contemplating facing intense media scrutiny post-match.

Where to from here? I am quite certain that the absence of Ryder and Marshall is the primary factor for the team's inability to continue on from where they left off last year, and once they're back things should start to improve.

Next week against Port in Adelaide I expect the players to regroup and give a better account of themselves.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Walk away, the best thing I ever did

Realised it was just a burden on my life, there was no joy there anymore.

If you still get a thrill out of going then good on you, but if not, walk away, you don't owe the club anything , I used to think I did, so I'd keep going, you know strength through loyalty and all that

Still keep my eyes on the score, or just read the game threads here and bf, watch the highlights,go occasionally, but I don't get that pain anymore, infact with this mongrel bred group that have been piled together I've never felt less connected to them or the decimated game.

A premiership now would still be great I won't deny, I invested to much to not be there live if we ever made another one, but it would never mean as much to me as it would of , used to mean everything to me, to much

Was great to see plugger and Loewe back for spuds game, players didn't feel any connection but...

I walked 700kms along the Australian Alps track to Canberra a few weeks back. Got into Canberra and fronted up at a sports bar to watch that puerile non performance against Essendon. By half time the writing was on the wall for the season, a complete disconnection amongst the group, zero semblance of any sort of a game plan that I'd possibly never seen , that doesn't get fixed over night.The saints generally turn up there toes in a season when things go astray .

If the club looks to go belly up in the coming years I hope at least they put some stkilda people back at the helm for the final chapter, players who had pride in the jumper and performance. There's a few floating about with roles at other clubs..

Bring back the Lockett era