Trade-Draft 2021 Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade-Draft 2021 Discussion

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 05 Nov 2021 5:06pm Reliable St Kilda defender Callum Wilkie has bee upgraded to the primary list, with the addition of Tom Campbell that's 2 less available spots on the primary list.
:wink: :wink:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Oi Jaxxons ...... any intel??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

UPDATE to show no rookie "A" taken in rookie draft
Rookie "B' selections announced by club, Josiah Kyle & Jack Peris https://www.saints.com.au/news/1033891/ ... -b-rookies

SENIORS
1 Oscar Adams 2023
2 Matt Allison 2022
3 Josh Battle 2022
4 Jack Billings 2025
5 Dan Butler 2022
6 Ryan Byrnes 2022
7 Jack Bytel 2022
8 Tom Campbell 2022
9 Hunter Clark 2023
10 Nick Coffield 2023
11 Leo Connolly 2023
12 Brad Crouch 2024 +1
13 Jarryn Geary 2022
14 Jade Gresham 2023
15 Dan Hannebery 2022 + 1
16 Jack Higgins 2023
17 Tom Highmore 2022
18 Brad Hill 2024 + 1
19 Dougal Howard 2024
20 Zak Jones 2023
21 Dean Kent - 2022
22 Max King 2026
23 Ben Long 2022
24 Daniel McKenzie 2022
25 Rowan Marshall 2022
26 Tim Membrey 2024
27 Mitchito Owens 2023
28 Ben Paton 2022
29 Sebastian Ross 2023 + 1
30 Paddy Ryder 2023
31 Jack Sinclair 2024
32 Jack Steele 2022
33 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera 2023
34 Jimmy Webster 2022
35 Callum Wilkie - 2023
36 Marcus Windhager 2023

ROOKIES A
1 Max Heath 2022
2 Darragh Joyce - 2022
3 Cooper Sharman 2023
4 Mason Wood 2022
5 ---------------------
6 ---------------------

ROOKIES B
1 Josiah Kyle 2022
2 Jack Peris 2022

Senior list must be 36 to 38
Rookie A list must be 4 to 6
Total senior plus rookie A players no more than 42
2 rookie B allowed on top

St Kilda made a total of 4 draft selections, 1 rookie promotions and 2 rookie "B" selections.
So as it stands St Kilda can still make 2 rookie "A" selections that were left vacant for pre season supplemental selection or mid season rookie drafts.

The club website has no news on an upgrade of Callum Wilkie but it has been identified in the media.
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/11/05/ ... mary-list/
Last edited by ace on Fri 26 Nov 2021 3:35pm, edited 3 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

I am expecting 4 picks in the main draft to boost the clubs senior list to the bare minimum 36.

Then the two best remaining St Kilda NGAs to be preselected as rookie "B"s

Then at most only one rookie "A" pick in the rookie draft.
One rookie pic would leave one rookie "A" vacancy or zero picks would leave two rookie "A" vacancies.

Those vacancies remaining to be used as pre-season supplemental rookie selections or mid season rookie selections.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Final 40: The best AFL draft prospects in the country

From the Hun.

"CONSENSUS TOP 40 RANKINGS
1. Jason Horne-Francis

South Adelaide/SA

Midfielder/forward, 184cm, 77kg

Jordan says: No change here. The South Adelaide gun is explosive at the contest and an aerial threat forward of centre but it’s the sheer competitiveness that sets Horne-Francis apart. Not only in this draft but from any prospect from South Australia in a long time – some say ever

Dan says: After having Nick Daicos at No. 1 for the majority of the year, Horne-Francis’s immense SANFL preliminary final was too good to ignore. The world is his oyster at North Melbourne after two full seasons against men.
2. Nick Daicos

Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro/Collingwood father-son

Midfielder/forward, 183cm, 72kg

Jordan says: Sees the game better than anyone in the draft pool and has the sublime skills to match. Pies recruiting boss Derek Hine echoed the thought of many around the country recently, suggesting Daicos could’ve featured in Collingwood’s best 22 this year. He doesn’t just win the footy, he does so in dangerous spots.

Dan says: Streets ahead of the rest in every game he played with his prolific ball-winning, class, footy IQ and scoreboard impact. Can’t help but ponder what could have been in the No. 1 pick debate if Daicos was able to play a full season, or VFL footy for Collingwood.
Nick Daicos has dominated whenever he has played this season. Picture: Michael Klein
Nick Daicos has dominated whenever he has played this season. Picture: Michael Klein
3. Finn Callaghan

Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
Midfielder, 189cm, 82kg

Jordan says: Callaghan has all the traits of the perfect modern day midfielder. He’s tall, quick, brilliant in traffic, can win the ball on the inside and outside, and boasts a penetrating left-foot. Callaghan’s decision making in tight spaces is the highlight, though, often making the game seem like it’s slowing down around him. And that’s why I’ve got him just ahead of the best tall in the draft.

Dan says: An extremely dangerous offensive threat with his booming kick and unparalleled speed-agility mix as a midfielder, allowing him to weave through traffic with ease. Deserving of the second live pick as he can do what other midfielders in this draft class can’t.
4. Sam Darcy

Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro/Western Bulldogs father-son

Key forward/defender, 204cm, 75kg

Jordan says: Darcy’s traits aren’t common, either, and very much sought after. He moves unbelievably well for a 204cm big man and can play on every line. He’s elite in the air, whether it be floating across in front of the leading forward in defence, or one out inside-50.

Dan says: The standout key forward by some margin with his vice-like hands and size, with his flexibility to be used down back giving him major upside. Narrowly ahead of Callaghan for me, but not by much.
5. Josh Gibcus

GWV Rebels/Vic Country
Key defender, 196cm, 87kg

Jordan says: Opposition coaches are going to have to direct their ball movement away from Gibcus once he finds his feet in the AFL because, at 196cm, with an exceptional vertical leap and long arms, he’s not often beaten in the air. Gibcus is quick, reads the play well, and just knows when to leave his man.

Dan says: Gibcus attacks the ball in the air like his life depends on it. This along with his incredible vertical leap, speed off the mark and reading of the play sets him apart from other key defenders in the pool. Think Jake Lever.
Josh Gibcus in action for the AFL Academy. Picture: Michael Klein
Josh Gibcus in action for the AFL Academy. Picture: Michael Klein
Ben Hobbs is an inside midfielder. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Ben Hobbs is an inside midfielder. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
6. Ben Hobbs

GWV Rebels/Vic Country

Midfielder, 183cm, 80kg

Jordan says: The hard-running midfielder thrives at the contest and does a lot of things very well. Hobbs appears a safe pick in the top-10, especially given his leadership qualities and competitiveness, but he can be a touch stationary moving away from the contest. I think a few others offer a bit more.

Dan says: Hobbs is the man you want in the clinches with his ball-winning, tackling and leadership qualities. A future contested beast who looks a 200-gamer in the making, which is why I view him as a top-five talent.
7. Josh Ward

Northern Knights/Vic Metro

Midfielder, 181cm, 74kg

Jordan says: He’s one of those I think offers a little more. Ward, who looks to be another safe bet early in the draft, is a prolific ball-winner, who is clean and clever by hand at the contest and very effective by foot away from it. He’s a great runner – both ways – and makes things happen.

Dan says: Ward is as reliable as they come – possessing inside-outside ball-winning traits and incredible endurance – and even gave Daicos a run for his money in a head-to-head duel in the NAB League earlier in the year. Was at 10 in my rankings last month, but after another look at his Victorian Challenge match (29 disposals and a goal), I had to move him up.
Draft Special: A Giant insight to this year's AFL Draft
The Herald Sun Footy Podcast
Draft Special: A Giant insight to this year's AFL Draft
00:00
39:53
8. Josh Rachele

Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country

Forward/midfielder, 180cm, 78kg

Jordan says: Brilliant as a midfielder at the under-16 national carnival, but, after dominating as a permanent forward in the NAB League this year, is he well-rounded enough to play in the midfield at the top level? His skills, clean hands – in the air and on the ground – evasiveness and footy smarts suggest so, but it’s still my one question. But Rachele can do things other prospects can’t, and that’s why a club could pounce earlier than this.

Dan says: A genuine matchwinner who kicks goals from all angles – underlined by his six goal haul in his final NAB League game – and his potential to be a pinch-hitting midfielder can’t be understated. There is a reluctance to take small forwards early, but Melbourne pocket rocket Kysaiah Pickett is case in point of how handsomely it can pay off.
9. Mac Andrew

Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country/Melbourne Next Generation Academy
Ruckman, 201cm, 79kg

Jordan says: Andrew’s ceiling is as high as any player in this year’s draft. He moves so well for someone his size and has shown glimpses of his potential at either end of the ground. But it’s Andrew’s ability to take the ball cleanly and spring out of stoppages that has many excited. Long-term, think Nic Naitanui, but with better skills.

Dan says: Might not take as long as first thought to develop after putting on nine kilograms across the year. Has been compared to Luke Jackson for his leap and follow-up work as a ruckman, and his scope to be used at either end adds to his already significant upside.
Mac Andrew before Novembers AFL National Draft. . Photo by Michael Klein
Mac Andrew before Novembers AFL National Draft. . Photo by Michael Klein
10. Josh Sinn

Running defender/midfielder, 186cm, 72kg

Jordan says: Sinn’s weapons behind the ball are obvious – and it’s where the teenager, who was once touted as No. 1 pick contender, did most of his best work as a junior. But I have him at No. 6 in my rankings, given his potential as a 186cm midfielder, with long and arms and clean hands, who can break the game open with speed and elite foot skills.

Dan says: One of the main points of contention in the consensus rankings. A potential top-five draftee entering the year, an uninterrupted season could have seen him maintain that, but injury and Covid got in the way. Other draftees may have jumped ahead of him, but he shapes as a bargain if he slides into the late first-round range with his game-breaking qualities and class.
2021 AFL Draft - Consensus Rankings
Consensus Player Jordan Pinto Dan Batten
1 Jason Horne-Francis 1 1
2 Nick Daicos 2 2
3 Finn Callaghan 3 4
4 Sam Darcy 4 3
5 Josh Gibcus 5 6
6 Ben Hobbs 8 5
7 Josh Ward 7 8
8 Josh Rachele 11 7
9 Mac Andrew 9 9
10 Josh Sinn 6 12
11 Jye Amiss 13 10
12 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera 12 14
13 Neil Erasmus 15 11
14 Josh Goater 10 17
15 Matthew Johnson 17 13
16 Tyler Sonsie 16 15
17 Jacob van Rooyen 18 16
18 Matthew Roberts 14 19
19 Arlo Draper 20 18
20 Campbell Chesser 19 21
21 Zac Taylor 21 24
22 Mitch Knevitt 25 20
23 Jesse Motlop 24 22
24 Sam Butler 22 23
25 Tom Brown 23 25
26 Darcy Wilmot 26 23
27 Jack Williams 28 27
28 Blake Howes 27 32
29 Josh Fahey 30 28
30 Leek Alleer 31 29
31 Judson Clarke 29 30
32 Angus Sheldrick 39 26
33 Mitch Owens 34 34
34 Rhett Bazzo 36 31
35 Toby Conway 35 33
36 Connor MacDonald 38 35
37 Marcus Windhager 32 39
38 Cooper Murley 33 -
39 Jase Burgoyne 40 40
40 Corey Warner - -
11. Jye Amiss

East Perth/WA
Key forward, 195cm, 83kg

Jordan says: The second-best key-forward prospect available after rapid improvement led to a dominant WAFL Colts season. Amiss is brilliant on the lead and strong overhead but he also creates his own chances at ground level. And he’s a beautiful set shot for goal – an area of the game which lets so many talented talls down.

Dan says: A pinpoint 51.15 in 15 WAFL Colts matches is quite a feat in isolation. But when you consider his two-and-a-half hour commute from Busselton to East Perth for matches and training, it’s downright remarkable. The second best key forward behind Darcy.
12. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

Glenelg/SA
Wingman, 188cm, 70kg

Jordan says: The draft’s best kick has admirers in the top-10, and rightly so. Wanganeen-Milera is incredibly balanced and delivers with precision on both feet. The concerns over the contested side of his game are slightly overstated, too. He showed at League and Reserves level in the SANFL that he can win his own footy, it’s just he’s so effective with the ball on the outside.

Dan says: The best kick in the draft? Probably. While his production is not as high as some in his range, his ability to hurt the opposition with his elite ball-use makes him a commodity.
Neil Erasmus burst onto the scene as a midfielder in 2021. Picture: Michael Klein
Neil Erasmus burst onto the scene as a midfielder in 2021. Picture: Michael Klein
13. Neil Erasmus

Subiaco/WA
Midfielder, 192cm, 80kg

Jordan says: As a forward Erasmus had some elite traits heading into 2021 – vertical leap, overhead marking, goal sense and work ethic stood out. Now, on top of those, after a year of rapid improvement, he’s a genuine ball-winner in the midfield. But I’m still slightly concerned about his field kicking, and the fact he’s a little rushed with the ball in hand.

Dan says: See shades of Jack Steele in Erasmus as a big-bodied midfielder, and he is only a year into the craft after playing as a forward as a bottom-ager, where he kicked four goals in an eye-catching WAFL Colts grand final display. Just outside the 10 in my rankings, but could have pushed in if he wasn’t sidelined with a corkie during the national carnival.
14. Josh Goater

Calder Cannons/Vic Metro
Inside midfielder/defender, 190cm, 79kg

Jordan says: The other big point of conjecture in our top 20. But if he can deliver on his potential as an athletic 190cm midfielder, who’s brilliant in traffic and can explode out the other side, then Goater is worthy of a top-10 selection. He starred across halfback for Calder late in the NAB League season and he would need to improve his endurance, but the pieces are there.

Dan says: Goater showed he can be an excitement machine through the middle and across halfback, possessing terrific agility, leap and overhead marking. One I considered putting higher on my list, especially after averaging 30 disposals and seven intercepts as a rebounding defender in the last three games of the NAB League.
Matthew Johnson after winning Western Australia’s best on ground medal in the grand final curtain raiser. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Matthew Johnson after winning Western Australia’s best on ground medal in the grand final curtain raiser. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images
15. Matthew Johnson

Subiaco/WA
Midfielder, 192cm, 82kg

Jordan says: While some clubs have some concerns over the consistency of the tall midfielder’s intensity, Johnson’s strengths are obvious. He’s tall, classy, clean, agile and makes great decisions with the ball in hand. Really caught my eye on the inside in last year’s WAFL Colts grand final as a bottom-ager but did his best work in space in 2021.

Dan says: His finish of the year was arguably the best of any prospect across the country, dominating in the national championships and excelling at WAFL Reserves level as a tall and creative inside midfielder. Johnson then highlighted his elite all-round athletic traits at the draft combine with three top-seven finishes. The main top-20 mover in my rankings, up from 17 last month.
16. Tyler Sonsie

Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
Midfielder, 181cm, 77kg

Jordan says: One of the Victorian prospects looming as a bit of a draft night steal after an interrupted year. But what Sonsie, a goalkicking midfielder with elite skills and plenty of class, has done at multiple levels over the past three seasons has been very good. He keeps his feet, and is rarely rushed.

Dan says: Difficult to place, given he has lacked exposure after suffering an knee injury midway through the season. But his 24 disposal, two goal display on VFL debut for Box Hill underlined his talent, with his great skills, clean hands and vision.
17. Jacob van Rooyen

Claremont/WA
Key forward/defender, 193cm, 87kg

Jordan says: Entered the year as WA’s most highly-touted prospect and, in a draft short on top-end talls, should definitely be in the top-20 mix. A bout of glandular fever set him back earlier this year but, either side of the interruption, he’s dominated at both ends of the ground. Van Rooyen is as strong as any prospect in the air and is ready to go.

Dan says: Another WA riser, van Rooyen has risen up draft boards after transforming into a swingman following a successful trial at the national championships. Up forward, he bagged four goals – three of those in the first quarter – of the WAFL Colts grand final. He looms as a valuable asset for clubs looking for key position players.
18. Matt Roberts

South Adelaide/SA
Inside midfielder, 183cm, 81kg

Jordan says: Keep hearing concerns over his athleticism and how it translates to the AFL. But Roberts has simply got the job done at every level over the past two years and is as smart as footballers come. He’s tough, clean and competitive, and when you see the game quicker than others, does it matter if your running isn’t as good? It hasn’t so far, and he might prove a few wrong.

Dan says: There may be some question marks over his speed and skills, but Roberts is fierce competitor as an inside midfielder. Plus, he proved he can impact forward against senior bodies, kicking six goals in seven matches in the SANFL – including two in the preliminary final.
Matty Roberts just gets the job done. Picture: Mark Brake/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
Matty Roberts just gets the job done. Picture: Mark Brake/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
Arlo Draper has plenty of X-Factor. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images
Arlo Draper has plenty of X-Factor. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images
19. Arlo Draper

South Adelaide/SA
Forward/midfielder, 186cm, 71kg

Jordan says: Draper has shown his class as a ball-winning midfielder, who has plenty of time with ball in hand and can weave his way out of congestion. He’s also proven his effectiveness as a marking option inside-50. Put that all together and he could become one of the most dynamic midfielders of this year’s draft. But, given he’s also been deployed across halfback, where is his best position at the top level?

Dan says: His X-Factor and versatility for a player his size is undeniable, but what role does he play best? He looked promising across halfback for South Australia until he succumbed to an AC joint injury in the grand final curtain-raiser. Did some nice things at SANFL and Reserves level across the year, which is a big tick.
20. Campbell Chesser

Sandringham Dragons/Vic Country
Defender/midfielder 186cm, 83kg

Jordan says: The explosive Chesser bounces around and makes things happen when he’s got the ball. He’s a damaging playmaker on the outside and a few clubs may have seen enough to take him higher than this – especially given the teenager has publicly declared he’s happy to move interstate.

Dan says: Another who has been cruelled by injury this year. His top- end speed and raking kick as a defender-midfielder is matched by his exceptional leadership qualities, with the Lavington local boarding at Melbourne Grammar for the past three years.
21. Zac Taylor

Calder Cannons/Vic Metro
Balanced midfielder, 180cm, 74kg

Jordan says: Clubs love the ‘money kick’ – the kick inside-50 that finds a teammate. And Taylor is one of the best in this year’s draft. The 180cm midfielder rarely wastes the ball by foot and it’s what sets him apart from others in the first-round mix.

Dan says: Few midfielders in the pool have the elite footskills and decision making of Taylor. His finish to the NAB League season was outstanding, and his form for Vic Metro stacked up against other top-end midfielders. May have boosted his stocks even further if the season wasn’t cut short.
Mitchell Knevitt celebrates a goal. Picture: Martin Keep/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Mitchell Knevitt celebrates a goal. Picture: Martin Keep/AFL Photos via Getty Images
22. Mitch Knevitt

Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
Inside midfielder, 193cm, 81kg
Jordan says: At 193cm, Knevitt is hard to stop in the midfield – at the contest, battling for first possession, and in marking contests around the ground. Could land a bit higher than this in the draft, given his scope for improvement and impressive combine testing.

Dan says: One of my favourites in the draft class. At 193cm, Knevitt combines inside ball-winning with contested marking and an elite speed-endurance mix. He recorded the third fastest time 2km time trial time (6:18) and a top 10 finish in the 20m sprint at the national combine. Oh, and he averaged a lazy 30.3 disposals, 14.7 contested possessions, 6.6 tackles, 6.3 marks and 150 Champion Data ranking points in his last three NAB League games.
23. Jesse Motlop

South Fremantle/WA,
Small forward, 176cm, 74kg

Jordan says: As far as pure small-forwards go, Motlop is the man. He’s quick, skilful and weaves in and out of traffic with ease. He hits the scoreboard and brings teammates into the game further up the field. Suits the needs of a number of clubs around this point.

Dan says: Young small forwards often struggle against senior bodies, and the fact Motlop booted a goal in all-but one of his eight WAFL senior matches says plenty. His goal sense and crumbing makes him an exciting addition to any forward line.
24. Sam Butler

GWV Rebels/Vic Country
Forward/midfielder, 184cm, 76kg

Jordan says: What stands out about Butler is how clean he is at the contest. And, with a terrific athletic profile, he’s able to explode away from it, too. As a forward, he’s just as good defensively as he is around goal, but a future in the midfield beckons.

Dan says: After missing Vic Metro representation with a cracked sternum, Butler gave recruiters a stern reminder of his standout athleticism with top-ten finishes in both vertical jump tests, 2km time trial and 20m sprint. The brother of St Kilda goalsneak, Dan, shares his pressure but also has the capacity to be used as a midfielder, where his contested ball winning and creativity by hand is an asset.
25. Tom Brown

Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country
Defender, 186cm, 74kg

Jordan says: If he’s not drifting across to win the footy back off the opposition in the air, Brown is swooping on a loose ball at ground level. Then he’s setting up play with precise foot skills and plenty of dash. The athletic playmaker has a number of suitors

Dan says: Brown intercepts, uses the ball well and breaks away with speed. And he made up for lost time at the draft combine – missing an extended period during the season with a syndesmosis injury – by showcasing his pace and leap. He just misses out on father-son qualification as the son of former Cat, Paul, but the Cats have several selections around his draft range.
2 Nick Daicos 2 2
3 Finn Callaghan 3 4
4 Sam Darcy 4 3
5 Josh Gibcus 5 6
6 Ben Hobbs 8 5
7 Josh Ward 7 8
8 Josh Rachele 11 7
9 Mac Andrew 9 9
10 Josh Sinn 6 12
11 Jye Amiss 13 10
13 Neil Erasmus 15 11
14 Josh Goater 10 17
15 Matthew Johnson 17 13
16 Tyler Sonsie 16 15
18 Matthew Roberts 14 19
19 Arlo Draper 20 18
21 Zac Taylor 21 24
22 Mitch Knevitt 25 20
23 Jesse Motlop 24 22
24 Sam Butler 22 23
25 Tom Brown 23 25
26 Darcy Wilmot 26 23
27 Jack Williams 28 27
28 Blake Howes 27 32
29 Josh Fahey 30 28
30 Leek Alleer 31 29
31 Judson Clarke 29 30
32 Angus Sheldrick 39 26
33 Mitch Owens 34 34
34 Rhett Bazzo 36 31
35 Toby Conway 35 33
38 Cooper Murley 33 -
39 Jase Burgoyne 40 40
40 Corey Warner - -
26. Darcy Wilmot

Northern Knights/Vic Metro
Small defender, 182cm, 70kg
Jordan says: Like Brown, Wilmot reads the ball well and breaks lines with his speed and neat skills. But the youngest player in this year’s draft is also as tough and competitive as they come, making for a very sound defensive game.

Dan says: Wilmot is an all-round defensive package, blending exhilarating offensive run and carry with sturdy defensive attributes. And as the youngest player in the draft class, he has plenty of upside.
27. Jack Williams

East Fremantle/WA
Key forward/ruckman, 195cm, 91kg
Jordan says: The versatile WA big man can play in defence and as a mobile ruckman, as he did at different stages this year. But it’s Williams’ marking, bodywork and ability to bring his teammates into the game as a forward that really stands out.

Dan says: With limited key forwards on offer in this year’s draft, Williams looms as the best on offer outside the first round after his consistent dominance in the WAFL Colts – slotting 40 goals and scoring more than 100 ranking points in all but one game. Williams can run all day and showed he is able to pinch-hit in the ruck, clunking four contested marks and kicking two goals in that role in the final match of the national carnival.
28. Blake Howes

Medium forward, 190cm, 79kg

Jordan says: A lack of exposure has hurt, especially when assessing his potential further up the ground. But, while Howes has done his best work as a speedy, high-marking half-forward, it’s his projection as a tall, athletic wingman that stands out for me.

Dan says: Howes was just beginning to hit his straps as the NAB League season was cancelled, and has the flexibility to be used all over the ground. A unique prospect with his athletic attributes, running capacity overhead marking and ball-winning at ground level.
29. Josh Fahey

Giants Academy/ACT
Running defender/midfielder. 186cm, 76kg

Jordan says: Hasn’t garnered as much attention as some, but Fahey has many appealing traits and the Giants believe he falls somewhere between 15 and 30. He’s strong defensively and boasts serious speed and a penetrating right-foot.

Dan says: The Giants are getting a promising rebounding defender here, who tallied 24 disposals in a VFL match for the Giants earlier in the year. In further evidence he can match it with senior bodies, he won the AFL Academy medal as the side’s best player in its clash against Geelong VFL, impressing with his precise skills and run.
30. Leek Alleer

Central District/SA
Key defender, 195cm, 84kg

Jordan says: The freakishly athletic 20-year-old is raw and, despite starring in the SANFL, will have plenty to learn about playing in defence at the top level. But his ceiling is as high as any key-position prospect in the pool and a club could pounce inside the top 30.

Dan says: A fitting way to close out the 30. The athletic Alleer’s incredible intercepting feats in the SANFL make him an exciting mature-age consideration for clubs. The dearth of key defenders adds to his appeal.
Leek Alleer takes a flying mark for Central Districts. Picture: SANFL Image/David Mariuz
Leek Alleer takes a flying mark for Central Districts. Picture: SANFL Image/David Mariuz
Leek Alleer showed off his freakish athletic traits at the draft combine. Pictures/Russell Millard
Leek Alleer showed off his freakish athletic traits at the draft combine. Pictures/Russell Millard
31. Judson Clarke

Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
Forward/midfielder, 180cm, 70kg

Jordan says: Hard to miss the speedy left-footer, who takes the game on and is damaging forward-of-centre. His attacking traits are as good as any.

Dan says: Put on a show with five goals in the second Victorian trial match, with his elite agility, speed and score impact allowing him to be a forward-half weapon.
32. Angus Sheldrick

Claremont/WA
Midfielder, 179cm, 84kg

Jordan says: Tough, readymade ball-winner bolted up draft boards after a dominant WAFL Colts season and standout national carnival. Lacks a touch of polish, and that’s why I have him slightly lower than this.

Dan says: Entering top-30 calculations with a bullet, Sheldrick is ready to go, has improved his kicking and proved he is a big-game player in the WAFL Colts finals series for Claremont and at the national carnival for WA. Another personal favourite.
33. Mitchito Owens

Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro/St Kilda Next Generation Academy
Balanced midfielder, 190cm, 85kg

Jordan says: Standing at 190cm, after a huge late growth spurt, there’s a lot to like about the athletic, high-leaping Owens, who could continue to develop into an attacking weapon. Saints will be nervous on the first night.

Dan says: His rapid rate of improvement, culminating in his 29-disposal display as a late call-up for the Victorian Challenge clash, should have Saints fans excited by the 190cm midfielder. That is, if he doesn’t attract a bid inside the top 20.
34. Rhett Bazzo

Swan Districts/WA
Key defender/forward 195cm, 81kg

Jordan says: Another strong-marking WA tall, who can play at either end of the ground. But I like him behind the ball, and he’d fit perfectly at a number clubs in that role.

Dan says: Narrowly behind Alleer in the key defensive stakes, Bazzo caught my eye in his best-on-ground display in the full-strength national championships opener, and managed to quell a red-hot Jacob van Rooyen in the WAFL Colts grand final.
35. Toby Conway

Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
Ruckman, 205cm, 97kg

Jordan says: Conway’s tap work, mixed with strong hands and outstanding work ethic, make him the best pure ruckman in the pool – even if he is slightly limited, at this stage, outside of that.

Dan says: Conway held his own against Geelong’s VFL side and performed strongly in both matches for Vic Metro, solidifying his status as the leading pure ruckman in the pool.
Toby Conway is the leading pure ruckman in the pool. Picture: Darrian Traynor/AFL Photos
Toby Conway is the leading pure ruckman in the pool. Picture: Darrian Traynor/AFL Photos
36. Connor MacDonald

Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

Midfielder, 184cm, 77kg

Jordan says: One of the most-consistent midfielders in the NAB League, he’s a terrific ball-winner, who kicks long and is always on the move. But sometimes, he doesn’t slow down enough with the ball in hand.

Dan says: A prolific ball-winner in the NAB League with great leadership qualities, MacDonald blew clubs away during interviews and shapes as a promising mid-draft pick-up.
37. Marcus Windhager

Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro/St Kilda NGA

Midfielder, 183cm, 82kg

Jordan says: Back injury isn’t ideal, but he’s a slick midfielder, with an impressive turn of foot and plenty of power.

Dan says: Had other midfielders ahead in the queue, largely due to Windhager’s lack of exposure, but his speed and power should be a nice addition for the Saints.
38. Cooper Murley

Norwood/SA
Forward/midfielder, 178cm, 69kg
Jordan says: Battled injury this year but it’s hard to forget what he’s done over the past three years. Murley is quick, clean, well-balanced, wins the ball on the move and uses it well on both feet.

Dan says: Murley has plenty of excitement about him up forward, but was the unlucky one just outside my top 40.
39. Jase Burgoyne

Woodville-West Torrens/SA
Midfielder/defender, 186cm, 65kg

Jordan says: Mixed year for the skillful Port father-son prospect, but he has runs on the board and more talent than most.

Dan says: Liked what I saw in his bottom-age year and while he may not have been as impressive this season, the smooth-mover still managed to hold his own at SANFL level and thrived at the national championships.
40 Corey Warner

East Fremantle/WA
Midfielder, 182cm, 74kg

Jordan says: Breaks away in the same way brother Chad does at the Swans, but Corey is, arguably, more balanced as a midfield prospect.

Dan says: Blitzed the combine and stepping up into the WAFL was impressive, but there are some concerns over his polish at times.
2 Nick Daicos 2 2
3 Finn Callaghan 3 4
4 Sam Darcy 4 3
5 Josh Gibcus 5 6
6 Ben Hobbs 8 5
7 Josh Ward 7 8
8 Josh Rachele 11 7
9 Mac Andrew 9 9
10 Josh Sinn 6 12
11 Jye Amiss 13 10
13 Neil Erasmus 15 11
14 Josh Goater 10 17
15 Matthew Johnson 17 13
16 Tyler Sonsie 16 15
18 Matthew Roberts 14 19
19 Arlo Draper 20 18
21 Zac Taylor 21 24
22 Mitch Knevitt 25 20
23 Jesse Motlop 24 22
24 Sam Butler 22 23
25 Tom Brown 23 25
26 Darcy Wilmot 26 23
27 Jack Williams 28 27
28 Blake Howes 27 32
29 Josh Fahey 30 28
30 Leek Alleer 31 29
31 Judson Clarke 29 30
32 Angus Sheldrick 39 26
33 Mitch Owens 34 34
34 Rhett Bazzo 36 31
35 Toby Conway 35 33
38 Cooper Murley 33 -
39 Jase Burgoyne 40 40
40 Corey Warner - -

FOR FULL PROFILES CHECK OUT: VIC’S TOP 30 PROSPECTS | SA’S BEST DRAFT CHANCES | 2021 DRAFT DOSSIER
NEXT BEST
More Coverage
Which club will take a punt on junior sprint star?
Draft guide: How Tigers could use top-30 bonanza
Mock Draft: How the first 30 picks could fall

Jordan says: I have Norwood bolter Alastair Lord at No. 37 on my list, while I love what late WA late bloomer Brady Hough does with the ball in hand. Kai Lohmann has some exciting traits and Tasmanian Sam Banks is another clubs might consider in the middle of the draft.

Dan says: Top Tasmanian talent Sam Banks was at 36 in my rankings, and the elite ball-user shouldn’t be forgotten after entering the year as a potential first round prospect.Victorian Jake Solio (37) shone on debut VFL for Richmond and for Vic Metro and has a bit of Sydney youngster Errol Gulden about him, while the scoreboad impact of Paul Curtis (38) is among the best of the small forwards in this crop. Defender/forward Corey Preston, entering his 19th year, was on the fringes of my top 40.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Thanks again Ace for your insight & Saynta for the HS article.

I hope you are correct Ace and we do take 4 players in the National Draft. 3 x midfielders and another targetted player would be ideal. With the hypothetical that Owen & Windhager are taken in the 2nd round using all our picks/points. I gather we would then have to trade back into the draft with another club using a future 3rd or 4th round pick, to take a 4th player?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

more on the draft from the heraldsun.com.au

'Kevin Sheehan: Lack of experience for Vic draftees could completely turn the draft on its head

Could the Cats and Tigers be better placed to land the next Bont than the clubs with top picks? Here is why the Victorian prospects are about to turn draft night on its head.
Jon Ralp

The only excuse not in a recruiting manager’s kit bag is that they just didn’t do the work on an emerging prospect.

This year in a national draft full of mystery and intrigue almost every Victorian prospect has an asterisk after their name given the lack of game time on the big stage.

History is littered with young players who roared up the draft chart after a big national championships mid-year that made them believe they belonged.

For every Steele Sidebottom, who capped a brilliant junior career with 10 TAC Cup goals in the 2008 Grand Final, there is a bolter like Marcus Bontempelli who stampeded into the top 10 with a late-season surge.

As AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said yesterday, so many of these NAB League players have played less than a dozen games in the past two years.

Pre-Covid clubs might have seen those players as many as 40-50 times in their final 24 months of junior football.

As well as interviewed them in person multiple times and spoken to every single person of note in their background

So this year the lack of exposure means clubs like Richmond and Geelong, both with five picks within 34, could legitimately hope to find the next Bontempelli who just didn’t get a chance to prove it in his draft year.

Then there are the intriguing players like 194cm Calder Cannon key position forward Sam Paea, who kicked bags of four and five goals in Rounds 9 and 11 and played only one more game for the season.

St Kilda-linked Sandringham Dragon Mitch Owens played only two NAB League games after Round 4 but they were a 109-ranking point 24 possession performance and a 25-possession, 127-ranking point showing.

Would they have been the start of a withering run that would have cemented his place in the top 20 or just a flash in the pan?

Recruiters will have to make that judgement for themselves, according to Sheehan.

“There are guys who you might like and think could be in the top 20 or 30 because their last few games were so good and then the season stops and you can’t put a complete line through him. Where does he sit? You started to get a feeling he was elite and then the season is over.
Sam Paea has shown glimpses of greatness before his season was shut down.

Josh Sinn has only played 6 games in 30 months.

So we will end up with terrific kids who have probably shown a glimpse somewhere. Does it get them drafted or did they miss their moment?

“I heard Josh Sinn say he has played six games in 30 months. He has been injured so most guys have played 10 or 12 this year, but maybe none last year.

“Paea’s two best games were in his last handful and then the year stopped. Guys normally spring out of the national championships with confidence, but not this year.”

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale says there is risk but also opportunity in the national draft this year as the Tigers take in picks 7, 15, 26, 27, 28.

“We traded out our first-rounder lats year to Geelong thinking we will know more about the kids in 2021 and it didn’t work out the way we expected.

“There is some risk in that and there are some players in the draft at all clubs you would like to know more about, but it’s really exciting. It gives you options but you still have to call out the right names.

“So our recruiting guys have proven they can make really good informed picks and it’s been a while since we have had a top 10 pick but we have got full confidence we will put our picks to good use.”

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

IMO this would be our perfect draft - from Smythe on BF Phantom Drafts.

FINAL PHANTOM WITH PICK SWAP IDEAS, BUT ITS ALSO A FULL DRAFT PHANTOM

ROUND 1
1 - - Jason Horne Francis
Hawks trade 5 with future 1st and 2nd to GWS for 2, future 1st and 2nd
2 - - Nick Daicos - Hawks bid - Coll match
3 - - Finn Callaghan
4 - - Josh Gibcus
5 - - Josh Rachele
Wb trade 24 and future 2nd to Port for Future 1st
6 - - Sam Darcy - GWS bid - Wb match
7 - - Mac Andrew
8 - - Jye Amiss - Freo take Amiss here to make sure Rich dont
9 - - Ben Hobbs
10 - - Niel Erasmus
11 - - Josh Ward
12 - - Matt Johnson
13 - - Arlo Draper
14 - - Josh Sinn
15 - - Josh Goater
16 - - Nasaiah Wanganeen-Milera
Ess trade future 1st and 3rd to Rich for 17 and future 2nd to grab a big inside mid
17 - - Mitch Knevitt
18 - - Sam Butler
Wb trade back in giving Melb Ports future 1st for 19 and a future 4th to sneak in and get a small lively fwd
19 - - Jesse Motlop
20 - - Leek Alleer - i have them going for Leek here as he has come on in literal leaps and bounds this year, is more gifted athletically than JVR and Bazzo is a very resilient kid and bigger bodied than both

ROUND 2

21 - - Darcy Wilmot
22 - - Jacob Van Rooyen
23 - - Tyler Sonsie
24 - - Tom Brown
25 - - Campbell Chesser
Geel trade 32 and 34 to Hawks for 26
26 - - Zac Taylor
27 - - Judson Clarke
28 - - Josh Fahey - Rich bid - GWS match
29 - - Blake Howes
30 - - Mitch Owens - Rich bid - Stk match
31 - - Rhett Bazzo
32 - - Cooper Murley
33 - - Matty Roberts
34 - - Ned Long
35 - - Cooper Macdonald
36 - - Lachlan Rankin
37 - - Toby Conway
St Kilda trade future 3rd and both future 4ths to bris for 45 and 64
38 - - Marcus Windhager - Geel bid - Stk match

39 - - Kai Lohmann
40 - - Angus Sheldrick
41 - - Brady Hough

ROUND 3

42 - - Corey Warner
43 - - Oscar Adams
44 - - Sam Banks
45 - - Jamieson Ballantyne
46 - - Lewis Rayson
47 - - Jase Burgoyne - Ess bid - Port match
48 - - Ronald Fejo Jnr
49 - - Jack Williams
50 - - Harvey Harrison
51 - - Taj Woewodin
52 - - Paul Curtis

ROUND 4

53 - - Lochlan Paton
54 - - Miller Bergman
55 - - Charlie Dean
56 - - Morgan Ferres
57 - - Youseff Dib
58 - - Hugh Jackson
59 - - Jahmal Stretch
60 - - Kade Dittmar

ROUND 5

61 - - Josh Browne
62 - - Blake Schlensog - if he is not snatched up before the draft they make sure no one can sign him up by taking him here

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Would be a great result if that happened

Ward
Owens
Windhager

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 8:26pm Would be a great result if that happened

Ward
Owens
Windhager
..... and we can all celebrate with a bottle of Jack :twisted:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798
SS Life Member

One mock draft has us taking Mac Andrew.
He would be tough to overlook if available

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Josh Goater mentioned on SEN yesterday that Sydney, GWS, Hawthorn & Essendon have all interviewed him twice. Doesnt appear to be on the Saints radar?

I remember at the start of the season the Sandringham Dragons must have trained once or twice and played a match at Moorabin. A regular to Saints training Stewart66 , said he thought the club was very interested in Campbell Chesser. That was nearly 12 months ago so a lot can change in that time, but it wouldnt surprise if the club took 4 x players from the Dragons - Heath, Chesser, Owens & Windhager.

A nice little cluster of team mates to take the club forward.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Chesser doesn't seem to be in many top 20 lists

Is pick 11 a tad too early for him? ...... could he likely still be there at 25 and we manufacture some next year pick swaps to swoop in after we use our 1st pick on another player?

Super interesting draft this one given there are many players who haven't played a lot of recent footy to showcase their wares

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Geez I hope we get Owens...reckon he could be a gun

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 11 Nov 2021 9:27pm Chesser doesn't seem to be in many top 20 lists

Is pick 11 a tad too early for him? ...... could he likely still be there at 25 and we manufacture some next year pick swaps to swoop in after we use our 1st pick on another player?

Super interesting draft this one given there are many players who haven't played a lot of recent footy to showcase their wares
Granted but I doubt the club recruitment teams take much notice of what the phantom drafts predict.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Only 2 weeks to go and we'll have some definitive answers.

We might be competing with Carlton in our recruiting for a Key Back, if Liam is made inactive.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Blayne O’loughlin

If he slips beyond 60 I reckon we should consider a spot for him

Have we talked to him?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 12 Nov 2021 6:14am Blayne O’loughlin

If he slips beyond 60 I reckon we should consider a spot for him

Have we talked to him?
171cm
One centimetre taller than Caleb Daniel.
I still laugh when I think of Caleb Daniel.
The time Geary and Daniel competed for a mark inside St Kilda's forward 50.
Daniel in perfect position to take the mark.
The giant Geary absolutely monstered tiny Daniel.
O'Loughlin is tiny, same height as me.

He is an Adelaide NGA so if he is called after pick 40 Adelaide can match with their next available pick.
If he survives the main draft then Adelaide can preselect him ahead of the rookie draft as a Rookie "B".

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Draft hopefuls with x factor

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 6fe26ad99f

"VIC METRO
Top prospects

Finn Callaghan’s game-breaking traits set him apart from other top-end midfielders in this draft, with his breakaway speed, agility in traffic and raking left-foot kick serving as major weapons for the potential top-three pick. Expected Western Bulldogs father-son Sam Darcy has the reach, mobility and contested marking at 204cm to change the game in an instant at either end, displaying these attributes in his six-goal haul for Vic Metro in their trial game in June. Calder Cannons product Josh Goater has been dubbed a boom-or-bust proposition by some, but it is hard not to get excited by what he can produce, both as an midfielder or across half-back at 190cm. His electric speed, vertical leap and agility epitomises x-factor, enabling him to take overhead marks and burst through congestion. Rebounding defender Darcy Wilmot possesses daring run and carry off half back, highlighted by an incredible goal earlier in the year where he won the ball in the middle of the ground and took a series of bounces. Sandringham Dragons 190cm utility Blake Howes is a unique medium-sized prospect with exceptional spring, a long kick and a nice speed-endurance mix, enabling him to be used in a variety of roles. St Kilda Next Generation Academy prospect Marcus Windhager has had limited exposure, but his speed and power as a midfielder-forward has seen him enter the top 20 conversation. Up forward, dangerous small Paul Curtis has turned games on their head with his forward craft, overhead marking and consistent scoreboard impact, booting 12 goals across a four-game stretch in the NAB League earlier in the year."

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Mon 08 Nov 2021 5:11pm Oi Jaxxons ...... any intel??
My guess would be "No, unless you have some?".

ace
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 11 Nov 2021 10:43pm
Devilhead wrote: Thu 11 Nov 2021 9:27pm Chesser doesn't seem to be in many top 20 lists

Granted but I doubt the club recruitment teams take much notice of what the phantom drafts predict.
I think it works in reverse.
The phantom draft picks are influenced by insights into club recruitment teams.

Paddy McCartin was one of two touted in phantom drafts to go no1 ahead of his draft.
But without leaks from St Kilda recruiters as to the type of player they wanted Paddy would have been much further down.
Petracca would have been clear No1 otherwise (and still is)

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Something that was raised on BF, if Andrew or Gibcus slid through to our pick would we consider trading the pick for a later first round and a second rounder from clubs like Richmond or Brisbane? Richmond have pick #15 and a miriad of second round picks #26-28. Brisbane have #14 & #18 we could throw in a future second round.

The latest November Twomey draft ranking with some hints as to which clubs are interested.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/687290/cal- ... er-ranking

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... d102f8a2db

video so can't post it. They have the saints picking up Mac Andrews at pick 11 amd the two NGA boys Windhager and Owens to round out their three picks,

Can post this though.

11. St Kilda (JP)

Mac Andrew (Dandenong Stingrays)

Ruckman, 201cm, 79kg

Jordan says: I couldn’t let Andrew slide any further. With a ceiling as high as any player in this year’s draft, the athletic big man, who takes the ball so cleanly at ground level, is too good to pass up. We’ll get the speed and midfield skill through the NGA prospects - I hope.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The belief or prospect of getting both the NGA lads is the key, it eases the pressure (rules) on who we select with pick 11 (9). It appears a very good draft to have a mid range round one draft pick, an excellent variety of types to choose from.