Captaincy thoughts?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Captaincy thoughts?

Jarryn Geary has been a warrior, good defender and great leader

But with the team evolving, he should hand over the captaincy IMO. Not even sure he’s a lock in the 22 now?

Candidates
Steele
Howard
Ross
Membrey
Billings

Any others??

My choice is the obvious one - Jack Steele

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Re: Captaincy thoughts?

I don't think he's a walk up start, and should probably hand over the captaincy too.

Steele I think is the right choice too

The Saints are coming!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Would Marshall be considered?

For me its Steele, Howard, Marshall, Membrey with distance to Ross & Billings.

it is very hard to watch a player and then know how they behave internally.

Steele looks a leader onfield but he may be a Harvey type leader who was more follow me than a Geary who seems a modern leader prototype who is the A grade solid citizen, motivated, positive and very well respected.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do you say that Joffa because they are better players?

Are the best players always the best leaders??

Only knock I see on Steele as a captain is his apparent shyness.

Without knowing him, he seems like a humble introvert. But he does have that Rob Harvey, Lenny Hayes inspirational style about the way he plays... players would follow him and respect him.

Marshall is only about 50 games in, and still looking to develop and improve as a player. He is not a finished product as yet. Plus he seems like a big likeable kid.

I think Captains in the AFL need to be on top of their game and comfortable in the fact they can lead others.

carn_sainter
Club Player

Marshall is not on top of his game yet. He struggled a little to get used to playing with Ryder last season. I don't think he's there yet in understanding his role.

Steele will be under a lot of pressure to repeat his season. He also wasn't in the nominated leadership group last season. I mean he's as good as anyone else that could be named for the role, but that's the point - he's not a clear stand out. I say let him focus on his game more.

Howard is a good candidate because he is respected internally, vocal, demanding, understands his role and the whole team structure and is hard to negate. He'll be beaten every now and then, but he's not the engine of the team. He also gets to see the whole game more than a guy like Steele or any other on baller.

Geary's been good because he really truly understands the team, how it's supposed to function and specifically what his role is within the context of whichever part of the ground he's playing in. These are excellent traits for a captain, and I think Howard has these best. Having said that, I don't think Geary should be captain in 2021.

I also would absolutely support Cal Wilkie being captain. He is everything you want in a leader of a footy team. The only thing you could say against him is that he was a mature age recruit, not that that matters at bloody all. He's already been a premiership captain.

So I say either Howard or WIlkie

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The captaincy position is as much about the populist choice as it is about football leadership and playing ability, so on that basis it is Jack Steele hands down. Would the extra work load and responsibility impact his training and playing. Sometimes its best not to tinker with things that are working nicely.

On the basis of proven performance in the role it is Seb. When he has had to step into the role he has performed incredibly well and is well respected by the players and he performs well in his media duties.

Membery is well respected by the players and is well liked by supporters but gut feel tells me the marketing department prefer the wholesome look for captain.

Billings is no chance of becoming captain in my mind, in fact captaincy could negatively impact his current stuggle to achieve that breakout season commensurate of a number 3 draft pick. Jack needs a breakout year before he needs the captaincy.

Howard is also little chance of becoming captain as he is a second year import on on a very good wage that is still developing his craft and consistency. If you are going to parachute a leader you want to be damn sure you have done your homework.

Geary arguably is the obvious choice if he can answer one question, will your body allow you to perform at your best thus allowing you to maintain your spot in the team. If the answer is a confident yes then I won't be surprised if he goes around one more year as Captain. Evidence based performance is hard to ignore and if things ain't broke.

Onfield leadership at the club was a big issue only 2 seasons ago, not so much now with the caliber of imports during that time.

I think it is down to 3, Gears, Steele and Seb.

Will it be the unobvious or the obvious choice.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

always was
always will be

welcome to nueonne country

the living land

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I believe it to be a transition year for the club, its expectations and its leadership. That being the case, why not consider Hannebery or Jones.
Hannebery will likely not play every game so will afford opportunity to members of a leadership group that will consist of Steele, Howard, Marshall, Ross and Billings.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gears.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 26 Jan 2021 12:10am Do you say that Joffa because they are better players?

Are the best players always the best leaders??

Only knock I see on Steele as a captain is his apparent shyness.

Without knowing him, he seems like a humble introvert. But he does have that Rob Harvey, Lenny Hayes inspirational style about the way he plays... players would follow him and respect him.

Marshall is only about 50 games in, and still looking to develop and improve as a player. He is not a finished product as yet. Plus he seems like a big likeable kid.

I think Captains in the AFL need to be on top of their game and comfortable in the fact they can lead others.
It’s very hard judge from on field who should be the next captain. I threw in Marshall due to his physical style of play and enthusiasm.

Perhaps it’s Billings who is the consummate professional on the track and a very articulate young man.

It would be nice for Steele to back up last season’s performance before he is given the role.

Howard could be the man, going to games this season in QLD with small crowds you could see and hear he was the backline general. Loud and demanding of his team mates, perhaps a little intense and could piss off a team mate from time to time, but could be molded into a fine leader.

If Hannebery is fit maybe he gets it for a year before handing on.

I’m a Geary fan but think He may struggle if the pace lifts and the weight of injuries slows him down.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yeah,

Hard to know if the extra responsibility felt as captain would weigh Jack Steele down or he would thrive in the role?

Billings is very underrated by supporters, and I think he is about to go to another level.

Membrey and Ross are safe choices

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Is Gears in the best 22?

Defenders
Howard, Paton, Wilkie, Coffield, (Carlisle/Frawley), Long
Mids
Ryder, Steele, Crouch, Jones, Hill, Billings
Forwards
King, Marshall, Membrey, Butler, Higgins, Gresham
Interchange
Clark, Ross, Hannebery, Battle
Depth
Kent, Dunstan, Webster, Geary, Bytel

So, not sure he best 22

Who does he displace??

OldGeorgeYoung
Club Player

I've read most comments since 2008, but rarely post (at that time you didn't need to 'join' to have access).

This is an interesting topic and I would have thought, that in a ideal scenario, the club would being looking for a strategy that involves:
1. Similar to Rooey, we have a transition year where Gears is still around to mentor the new captain (unless it's someone like Seb or Hanners which is short-term and not ideal). If Gears is captain this year, the club may believe that he has 2 years in him. Debatable.

2. A player who is a lock in the best 22, in both performance and robustness (less likely to miss games due to injury).

3. A player who's performance is less likely to 'drop off' and a result of the additional responsibilities.

4. A player who has a strong voice, well respected, leads by example, is well spoken and is marketable.

Steele is likely to be the future, but may need more time in the leadership group find his voice, and for the club to be confident that he wouldn't feel the pressure, and his performance drop off. I agree with the suggestion of Callum as a very solid citizen, but difficult to tell from a far. Similar in some respects to the former HB Geelong & Collingwood premiership captains, but obviously a better human!

If we don't have hope. All is lost.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 26 Jan 2021 10:01am
It’s very hard judge from on field who should be the next captain. I threw in Marshall due to his physical style of play and enthusiasm.

Perhaps it’s Billings who is the consummate professional on the track and a very articulate young man.

It would be nice for Steele to back up last season’s performance before he is given the role.

Howard could be the man, going to games this season in QLD with small crowds you could see and hear he was the backline general. Loud and demanding of his team mates, perhaps a little intense and could piss off a team mate from time to time, but could be molded into a fine leader.

If Hannebery is fit maybe he gets it for a year before handing on.

I’m a Geary fan but think He may struggle if the pace lifts and the weight of injuries slows him down.
Irrespective of what we as supporters think, it is the players who make the choice of who they want to captain the team, and I expect they will stick with Geary, unless he decides to emulate Riewoldt and play his last season as mentor to Jack Steele.

Jack Billing, if he had progressed his game to elite level, would definitely have been in contention - I agree he is the "consummate professional" Joffa, but gauged on his most recent press conference he is far from articulate and does not perform anywhere near as well as a spokesperson as Seb Ross, nor does Jack appear to do much leading on the field.

Personally I would prefer to give the job to Dan Hannebery who oozes leadership and has all the experience and credentials to lead by on-field example, provided he stays fit.

Hanners is about the only one I can think of who has the ability to lift the players if they're down and strategise play to win a game - not that he has to be captain, but it would have far greater force if he does this as the team's skipper.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

J. Sinclair?

25 years old.

Does he have any leadership potential?

is he top 22 in Ratts's world?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

It’s a no-brainer, Steele.

That’s if he wants it tho.

The thoughts on Gears are correct, he’s borderline best 22, not an automatic selection, so shouldn’t be captain.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s already stated in an interview that he wants the job.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Can’t believe the Hannebery suggestions!
Apart from his inability to get on the ground I reckon some significant transgression occurred in2019 leading to his removal from leadership group!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yeah forgot about Callum Wilke, he's a smokey.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

If it’s going to shift and if Steele isn’t ready...

IMO Ross or Membrey are the only logical interim choices IMO

Interesting to note the inference that Steele is apparently shy

Harves Man
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021 11:40pm Would Marshall be considered?

For me its Steele, Howard, Marshall, Membrey with distance to Ross & Billings.

it is very hard to watch a player and then know how they behave internally.

Steele looks a leader onfield but he may be a Harvey type leader who was more follow me than a Geary who seems a modern leader prototype who is the A grade solid citizen, motivated, positive and very well respected.
Yes, see I thought this about Marshall a while ago. He seams to have the respect of his teamates (by the bucket-load!) and have a lot of the qualities of a good leader. I feel that he will naturally slot into the role, when the time is right.

I think that Gears has been a good captain in 2020 and is a born leader, but I'm not sure that he should always be best 22 in 2021 (having said that, I am not a Geary basher - I don't like to be ungrateful to any of our warriors, who train their bollocks off, day in and day out for our club).

Steele is an obvious candidate for the job.

Membrey is probably the only one (I might be wrong here, obviously), who could start the season and on day 2, suddenly be appointed captain, completely seamlessly, without his own playing role being affected in the slightest.

Josh Battle
Club Player

It'll be interesting to see who Ratts wants. I suppose Brett along with Lethlean and Roughy and the assistant coaches would all have their own views.

I think Jack Steele is ready and I also think he'll continue to perform at a very high level regardless.

I think that Gears and Seb should be kept in the leadership group, but once again I'd be happy if the coaches think some of the younger guys are ready to accept the responsibility

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Amongst the many things Thomas did I thought the rotating captaincy was the greatest thing he left us with.
Lots of guys had a go at it and pretty sure no damage was done to either those concerned or the club!

Billings and Steele 2021 co-captains for me!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Steele captain.

Membrey vice.

Surely.

To the top
SS Life Member

I would imagine that the response the Coach received from Jack Steele would give Steele credits

We have a generation next of competition class players in Marshall, King, Clark and Cofffield and one of them may be given a taste of leadership responsibilities as a vice captain

We have players who carry high reputation and have been central to performances starting from Ryder but, whilst valued by both the Coaching panel, the player group and courtesy of the bubble the wider St Kilda family I would not expect formal recognition

This contingent will provide the supports to the incoming leadership group

The bubble and Jo Ratten have bought family to the forefront - a change from the Richardson years and a positive change