Time Trial

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Time Trial

Interesting result

Dan Hannebery has a good year, we will finish up in a good position. He is that good when he’s up and running. Quality player.

Brad Hill interesting
He was always in the top 2 at Hawthorn, dominated Freos and whilst 9th is fine, I don’t think he’s as fit as he once was?...

Hard Running mids as expected at the top

Pure Inside mids like Crouch, Dunstan, Bytel not in top 10

Lead up forwards Allison and Battle in top 10 which shows they will have the tank to get up and down the ground.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time Trial

Dan Hannebery
Daniel McKenzie
Jack Steele
Jack Sinclair
Sebastian Ross
Ryan Byrnes
Josh Battle
Matthew Allison
Bradley Hill
Dan Butler

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Ryan Byrnes.......I wonder if he performed as well in the time trial last year. Since his very quiet debut I think most of us have no expectation of him playing senior football this year. Still an unknown quantity.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I’m wondering what times they ran and those times compare with pro runners.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 07 Jan 2021 12:18pm Ryan Byrnes.......I wonder if he performed as well in the time trial last year. Since his very quiet debut I think most of us have no expectation of him playing senior football this year. Still an unknown quantity.
Not me mate. I'm told he is flying.

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Hanna's winning is huge.

I believe the word was they did something different with his last Hamstring (maybe removed some scar tissue or something) but even in the final series last year he had his zip back and this result is very encouraging as well.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Saynta, I hope you're right about Byrnes. From the little I've read about him, the thing that was mentioned was his work ethic and discipline. Hope it pays dividends for him. Always nice to see a young kid impress.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Played out of position on debut

Josh Battle
Club Player

Bytel was clean with ball in hand on debut and made mostly very good decisions

Byrnes seemed to be indecisive and he turned it over too often

Very good news with Hannas :D

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Bytal is very highly rated with in and already has other clubs trying to lure him away.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 7:25am Bytel was clean with ball in hand on debut and made mostly very good decisions

Byrnes seemed to be indecisive and he turned it over too often

Very good news with Hannas :D
Byrnes just looked shell shocked with the pace and lack of time.
Not unusual for a very young player on debut, looking forward to seeing more from him.

Bytel looked assured by hand and very confident for someone who has had so much time out with injury.
A long way to go for both IMO and hopefully each will play 5 - 10 games this year with a view of being best 22 in 2021.

Bytels kicking didn't look flash but I will not judge such a small sample size and a guy returning from a back injury where he might have to make technique adjustment.

Looking at axing Langlands, Phillips and the likelyhood of Mc Kenzie not getting games and his time at Hawthorn, you'd be thinking that Ratten is not a fan of poor foot skills.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Brad Hill is obviously not as fit or hungry he was at the Hawks or Freo and needs to be reminded of that. He is on big $$$ and looks to be coasting a bit, given his past preseason records.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 12:11pm Brad Hill is obviously not as fit or hungry he was at the Hawks or Freo and needs to be reminded of that. He is on big $$$ and looks to be coasting a bit, given his past preseason records.
No one can say that from outside the inner sanctum of the club.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Hope D. McKenzie letting Hanna's get home first increases his chance of a fair go this season. Would like to understand coachs' preference for Kent over McKenzie; not questioning, just a thirst for knowledge. McKenzie significantly taller, more athletic and younger, from memory just as hard at it. Forward craft? Burped in a team meeting?

stkfc1
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 07 Jan 2021 2:26pm
cwrcyn wrote: Thu 07 Jan 2021 12:18pm Ryan Byrnes.......I wonder if he performed as well in the time trial last year. Since his very quiet debut I think most of us have no expectation of him playing senior football this year. Still an unknown quantity.
Not me mate. I'm told he is flying.
Byrnes will play senior footy this year. Don't doubt that for a second. Bytel will definitely play. Injuries happen and he's next cab off the rank for any midfield time. I'm not writing Dunstan off either, now he's injury free. Very handy player.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I'm betting Hill wasn't as fast as some expected, because he may have held himself back a bit.
I've trained with some endurance athletes who do that; they've told me later that they know in their own hearts what they can do, they don't need to prove it.
It's not being lazy, it's just being conservative.

Ignore it

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 6:15pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 12:11pm Brad Hill is obviously not as fit or hungry he was at the Hawks or Freo and needs to be reminded of that. He is on big $$$ and looks to be coasting a bit, given his past preseason records.
Agreed.

We don’t know for example if he pushed himself very hard the previous session last week and opted to back off
Or if he was feeling sluggish on the day
Or maybe he pushed himself too hard at the start of the run, gassed out and just didn’t do as well as he would have liked

There’s very little firm conclusions one can draw from the information provided

For all we know... our top 8 ran the top 8 scores of everyone in the league

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

It would be interesting to have all the details for the time trials.
Due to covid restrictions players have only be training together in small groups.
So for example it was posted that Hill finished 9th but perhaps he was first in his group , only to have the ninth fastest time overall.
Anyhow time trials don't mean she it when the season starts . Plugger never did too well in them and i reckon he was a handy player

In red white and black from 73
oboe
Club Player

Forgive me for a simple question. How long was the time trial? Matters a lot between sprinters, middle distance, and long distance runners.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

oboe wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 11:10pm Forgive me for a simple question. How long was the time trial? Matters a lot between sprinters, middle distance, and long distance runners.
3km

In red white and black from 73
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

You can tell by looking at him, he now looks like a guy who has never been near a weights room in years. In the past he wasn't huge but at least he had some definition. He is starting to look like Mick McGuane.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Guarantee Hill is not as fit as he once was

He ran 16.8 in the beep test as a draftee (record at the time)

He used to finish top two at Hawthorn in time trials (with Isaac Smith) and they were considered the best runners in the AFL (along with Tom Scully)

Now he’s 9th att StK, behind a draftee and 2nd year mid

He doesn’t exactly look ripped or lean

Hannebery is looking very lean

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 08 Jan 2021 11:02pm
Agreed.

We don’t know for example if he pushed himself very hard the previous session last week and opted to back off
Or if he was feeling sluggish on the day
Or maybe he pushed himself too hard at the start of the run, gassed out and just didn’t do as well as he would have liked

There’s very little firm conclusions one can draw from the information provided

For all we know... our top 8 ran the top 8 scores of everyone in the league
We beat Collingwood in the preseason game last year but got pantsed in the real stuff, so there is merit in what you say, however...

Hill's dream and every player's dream is to play in a premiership. Hill's already done that...multiple times

He was also motivated to play for Freo with his brother. Hill's already done that too

He has secured for himself a very nice contract in the latter years of his career (just like Hannas did the year before) so I reckon he'd be pretty content

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

My barometer for our top four chances is how well Hanners, and to a lesser degree Hill are travelling. If we make finals again and these two are fit and not suffering from any restrictive injury then we will give it a good shake. Obviously we will need many other things to be going right as well but these two are a delight to watch in full flight and I'm stoked they are in the RW&B. Out and out genuine champions and proven finals players.

Hanners is our Dusty, a real match winner on the big stage.

Cross your fingers and whatever else that we avoid the injury curse over the next few seasons becuase this list is a really good one with geniune bonafide star quality on every line. I reckon you could mount a strongish argument that this list is better than the one between 2000 and 2011.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Great to see Hannas on top. Very surprising.
Steele Sinclair and Ross all making sure they are top if their game.
Hill while perhaps not as elite as he was also knows that what counts is his running in games not in time trials.
I'm confident he will be the bloke busting a gut in red time in the home and aways.
No Billings in the top tier?

Nee!