I believe the delisting of Savage is a mistake.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPelican66
Club Player

I believe the delisting of Savage is a mistake.

At 29 years old he still has at least 2 years left in him at the top level. We are now in the premiership window so a player like Sav could be very valuable. I can see why they did what the did but I would have rather they paid out McKenzie and kept Sav.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: I believe the delisting of Savage is a mistake.

I agree. I think he is better than Long and in our best 22. That said I agree with playing Long over Savage but spewing and surprised we are letting him go

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 4:59pm At 29 years old he still has at least 2 years left in him at the top level. We are now in the premiership window so a player like Sav could be very valuable. I can see why they did what the did but I would have rather they paid out McKenzie and kept Sav.
So, you know more than the club's list management team, do you?

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:12pm
SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 4:59pm At 29 years old he still has at least 2 years left in him at the top level. We are now in the premiership window so a player like Sav could be very valuable. I can see why they did what the did but I would have rather they paid out McKenzie and kept Sav.
In this instance I do yes.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

He can be re-listed right?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:13pm
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The quicker you return to Big Shitty, the better....for this site. :roll: :roll:

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:30pm
SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:13pm
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The quicker you return to Big Shitty, the better....for this site. :roll: :roll:
Come on saynter. You're better than that.

longtimesaint
Club Player

They had to get the main list down but they could re-sign him as a rookie.

One year will be our year
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The club has gone over everything wirh a fine-toothed comb.
They're possibly feeling the impact of Hanna's contract, and cannot afford to pay out DMack- and nobody is banging on his manager's door to offer to pay him on our behalf.

I don't remember DMack being an emergency at all this year?
So the coaches rate Sav higher than DMack.

Just IMHO

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

It’s a site where people express opinions. We can’t all agree with the club all of the time.
saynta wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 12:13pm Huge mistake and has me reconsidering whether to commit to paying for all 7 memberships next year.

f****** really pissed off.

The premiers thought he was worth a spot on their list but the high and mighty perennial losers didn't.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

P.s. does anyone think the Blues, Suns or Giants would like DMack?
Would they pay half of his contract?

I don't think so

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I don't. Savage was the quintessential St Kilda player that nearly was. Why are we pulling our hair out about "back up" players? A very pessimistic attitude when we are trying to lift ourselves above mediocrity.

"Goodbye" doesn't mean what it once used to. That's what I take most from this thread.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:46pm
It’s a site where people express opinions. We can’t all agree with the club all of the time.
saynta wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 12:13pm Huge mistake and has me reconsidering whether to commit to paying for all 7 memberships next year.

f****** really pissed off.

The premiers thought he was worth a spot on their list but the high and mighty perennial losers didn't.
shhh Kosi that sort of talk will get you blackballed from the forum
only thing i have learnt this time of year
# what a club says publicly and what the list managers have to deal with and the horse trading that goes on in the background are often very incongruous

Seeya
ace
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:42pm They had to get the main list down but they could re-sign him as a rookie.
If he is still available.
All other clubs can offer him a contract and game time before we take him in the rookie draft.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SaintPelican66
Club Player

Goose is king wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:09pm I agree. I think he is better than Long and in our best 22. That said I agree with playing Long over Savage but spewing and surprised we are letting him go
If he doesn't get a lifeline from anywhere else then I hope we offer to Rookie List him. As I said, he has a lot still to offer at 29 years of age.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

And people said Johnnie Farnham hung around too long after his farewell 😂

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:45pm The club has gone over everything wirh a fine-toothed comb.
They're possibly feeling the impact of Hanna's contract, and cannot afford to pay out DMack- and nobody is banging on his manager's door to offer to pay him on our behalf.

Just IMHO
Hanna's contract is no longer an issue and isn't currently in the top 5 within the club.

Savage is clearly behind Clark, Long, Ross and Geary in sweeping roles across half back. Billings, Carlisle and Hill are the one's pinching the purse strings. I'm guessing Carlisle has been offered a cut rate but I'm also sure we value him higher than other clubs atm.
Howard is on the money @ around $650000 and its been suggested DH is on much less.
I'm guessing, moreso hoping, we are preparing a huge offer for a well established ruckman in next year's FA.
While we can't get back what Hannerbery has been paid so far, that has no bearing on the current salary cap and I believe his best as a Saint is still to come in tandem with Gresh and Higgins as a Fwd/mid combo.
I'd also think that DMac signed a very modest long term contract, I'd say Savage was earning a fair bit more when he signed on last.
I can't believe that with all the work that has been done on the motor, we are worried about losing Savage.
Geary, Long, Paton, Coffield and probably Ross, would have all been keeping Sav out of the best 22 and its more than likely that that extends to 25 next year. Sav will be fine and should get snapped up. I was a fan but not really concerned about losing him.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The difference between Savage & McKenzie is not that significant, definitely not worth the 2 seasons payments to off load McKenzie. Shanes contract timing is unlucky giving the COVID but that applies to a number of players.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 7:29pm
WellardSaint wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:45pm The club has gone over everything wirh a fine-toothed comb.

Just IMHO
Hanna's contract is no longer an issue and isn't currently in the top 5 within the club.

Savage is clearly behind Clark, Long, Ross and Geary in sweeping roles across half back. Billings, Carlisle and Hill are the one's pinching the purse strings. I'm guessing Carlisle has been offered a cut rate but I'm also sure we value him higher than other clubs atm.
Howard is on the money @ around $650000 and its been suggested DH is on much less.
I'm guessing, moreso hoping, we are preparing a huge offer for a well established ruckman in next year's FA.
While we can't get back what Hannerbery has been paid so far, that has no bearing on the current salary cap and I believe his best as a Saint is still to come in tandem with Gresh and Higgins as a Fwd/mid combo.
I'd also think that DMac signed a very modest long term contract, I'd say Savage was earning a fair bit more when he signed on last.
I can't believe that with all the work that has been done on the motor, we are worried about losing Savage.
Geary, Long, Paton, Coffield and probably Ross, would have all been keeping Sav out of the best 22 and its more than likely that that extends to 25 next year. Sav will be fine and should get snapped up. I was a fan but not really concerned about losing him.
I can't speak for others but I'm not worried about losing Savage. I'm just saying it was a mistake. If they got rid of him to free up another spot on the list my preference would have been McKenzie. I would have paid him out for his last 2 years and kept Savage. Either way we either would have had to pay his 2 year contract over 2 years or paid it in one hit right now. If it meant keeping Savage I know which option I would have chosen.

Now the only caveat is that the pay out would not take us over the salary cap limit for this year. McKenzie would be on $350k per year so if we paid him out for 2 years would $700k put us over for this year? I doubt it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 7:51pm

Just IMHO

I can't speak for others but I'm not worried about losing Savage. I'm just saying it was a mistake. If they got rid of him to free up another spot on the list my preference would have been McKenzie. I would have paid him out for his last 2 years and kept Savage. Either way we either would have had to pay his 2 year contract over 2 years or paid it in one hit right now. If it meant keeping Savage I know which option I would have chosen.

Now the only caveat is that the pay out would not take us over the salary cap limit for this year. McKenzie would be on $350k per year so if we paid him out for 2 years would $700k put us over for this year? I doubt it.
If I was Mackenzie I'd have politely declined a payout. There lies your dilemma. It's called contract law, something we need to stay on the good side of the ledger with. Particularly if we are going to be successful and expect the right recruits to come to us.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 5:09pm I agree. I think he is better than Long and in our best 22. That said I agree with playing Long over Savage but spewing and surprised we are letting him go
Better than Long really?

btw I thought saintpelican/nexus quit the forum? Just trolling again? a 29 year old who is not injured who can only manage one game for the season is the atypical list clogger.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 8:22pm

Just IMHO

If I was Mackenzie I'd have politely declined a payout. There lies your dilemma. It's called contract law, something we need to stay on the good side of the ledger with. Particularly if we are going to be successful and expect the right recruits to come to us.
You are either incorrect or have mis-understood what I posted. A club is perfectly entitled to pay out a player. McKenzie has 2 years left on his contract at an estimated $350,000. St Kilda can if they wish, delist him now by paying him $700,000. This would free up a spot but it would add $700,000 to this years Total Player Payments (TTP)

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Meh

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 10:49pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 23 Nov 2020 8:22pm

Just IMHO

You are either incorrect or have mis-understood what I posted. A club is perfectly entitled to pay out a player. McKenzie has 2 years left on his contract at an estimated $350,000. St Kilda can if they wish, delist him now by paying him $700,000. This would free up a spot but it would add $700,000 to this years Total Player Payments (TTP)
I may be incorrect, but my understanding is that player contracts cannot be altered without the consent of both parties or without proper cause, due to a failure of obligations by either party, and I assume that includes an early payout and delisting because we need cap space or a vacancy on the list.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

one feels its safe to say
... no offer of two years wages in advance
has been made
for said player to find something else to do with his days
... unencumbered

who in their right mind
would not take that ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.