New Saint Marches into his Dream Club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

New Saint Marches into his Dream Club

If you have not seen this article published yesterday, it reveals the reason Jack Higgins decided to ask to be traded to St Kilda:

"NEW SAINT MARCHES INTO HIS DREAM CLUB

By Chris Cavanagh (The Australian, 16/11/20)

St Kilda recruit Jack Higgins says he was doing “fist pumps” after learning of his trade from Richmond and is determined to help the club he supported as a child snare its second premiership.

Higgins had a contract with the Tigers for 2021 but admitted he had struggled in the Queensland hub this year as he managed just 10 AFL games, including only one match after Round 10.

“Hub life I probably didn’t enjoy as much as a lot of other blokes did,” Higgins said.

“I know a lot of blokes struggled up there. I just found it really hard living with blokes next to you all the time. I’m a homebody.

“It was a really hard decision for me to leave Richmond. They’re such a great club and have got such good players and blokes there and coaches.

“So it was a really hard decision but at the end of the day I thought St Kilda would be the best for my future and I can also see how much the club’s going to go in an upwards spiral.”

Higgins phoned Richmond coach Damien Hardwick at the start of the trade period to request the move after hearing from his manager Paul Connors that the Saints were interested and could provide greater opportunity.

“He (Hardwick) was driving his car so it was really hard to hear him but I just said, ‘I really want to explore a trade, don’t take any offence, you’re a ripper bloke and ripper coach but I just want to explore my options’,” Higgins said.

“He didn’t try to talk me out of it. He said, ‘whatever’s best for you’. He was pretty understanding.”
Higgins completed work experience with St Kilda in Year 10 and idolised Nick Riewoldt and Nick Dal Santo as a youngster.

He was caught by broadcast cameras celebrating a Riewoldt goal in the front row of the crowd at the Saints’ 2009 preliminary final win over the Western Bulldogs.

“I remember at the time … me and dad watched it about 12 times, that vision,” Higgins said.

“But I went to a lot of Saints games when I was younger and always, not thought I’d play for St Kilda, but always dreamt of me playing for St Kilda. To be here now, I’m over the moon.”

Higgins said he was confident his health issues were now behind him after two rounds of brain surgery over the past 18 months.

“I feel like I’m just a new draftee at the moment,” he said.

“I’ve watched two (Richmond) grand finals, last year for a reason and this year I didn’t get picked.

“But I just really want to play in a grand final and get some consistent games and hopefully be in St Kilda’s second premiership team.”

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Re: New Saint Marches into his Dream Club

Here's that footage of Higgins as a kid cheering for the Saints in 2009.

Good lad!

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Nope... don’t like his moustache

Doesn’t deserve a game

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 17 Nov 2020 2:44pm Nope... don’t like his moustache

Doesn’t deserve a game
Supporting men's health maybe? Surely he can't be serious about the stache.

minneapolis
Club Player

It's a cricket moustache. Eleven on each side.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
diddley
Club Player

The mo didn’t last very long.
It’s gone by this article.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/524557/it-s ... lag-misses

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Wed 18 Nov 2020 9:12am The mo didn’t last very long.

Definitely top 22... maybe Captain now

Harves Man
Club Player

diddley wrote: Wed 18 Nov 2020 9:12am The mo didn’t last very long.

And thank heavens for that - nobody gains anything from an upset Skeptic!

Harves Man
Club Player

I'm absolutely rapped to the undies that we nabbed Higgins - just like I was with his magnificent former teamate (actually now present, come to think of it), in The Butler. Both going to be rippers and kick vital goals in our grand final win!

stkfc1
Club Player

So long as he continues to.work on the defensive aspect of his game his natural talent and smarts are foing to make him a very handy pick up. You'd think he and Gresh will rotate forward and mid throughout games, giving our midfield some xfactor and the ability to score more.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Good get. Great trading last couple of years.
21 years old and 50 games in a premiership side....big tank and a willingness to work and work on his game.
A Saint at heart and enthusiasm that overflows from him.
Will be a fan favourite...can't wait for his first goal celebration

Nee!
Royston
Club Player

Is it the general consensus that he has a 'big tank'....or is that code for he is slow..?!
Is it one or the other for all players (generalisation) that if you don't have solid leg speed then you are 'obviously' an endurance beast....or have a 'big tank'.

I understand and recognise Jack's recent health issues and subsequent treatment and obviously the Hub constraints of this year but he does not look AFL fit at present. He strikes as a footballer not an athlete but l am hoping like the rest of us that he has a massive pre-season and gets some strength and definition into his rig.

If he wants midfield time he needs to commit to the preparation of a midfielder and build his tank to the levels required.....if he does he will undeniably improve our 22 for 2021.

Saintmike65
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Fri 20 Nov 2020 11:02pm Good get. Great trading last couple of years.
21 years old and 50 games in a premiership side....big tank and a willingness to work and work on his game.
A Saint at heart and enthusiasm that overflows from him.
Will be a fan favourite...can't wait for his first goal celebration
Couldn't have put it better myself!
Whatever number he gets, kids will put it on their backs.
Jack Higgins energy and enthusiasm will permeate through the club and supporter base.
He was ranked #1 by champion data in his draft year for a reason...special talent with a great footy IQ.
Him rotating forward and mid with Gresham will cause opposition some real headaches.