What we need

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

darylcowie
Club Player

What we need

All the scribes seem to think we need more class and grunt in the midfield
I agree with the class part, but don't Steele, Jones, Ross and Dunstan give us grunt in spades?
Apart from Clark and potentially Coffield we lack potential midfield class, not grunt.
So why are we linked with in and under types like Taranti, Blakeky and the younger version, Caldwell?
We need skill and speed, so who fits this criteria?

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: What we need

When people mention we need class & grunt its under the guise that they are not exclusive from one another

Its the idea that there is a player out there who can provide both and provide an instant impact ....... that is gettable .... at a reasonable price.

Caldwell could be that player but he will take time

Maybe Hunter is that player but the only way to find out is to give him more midfield minutes ..... much more

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Really only worth getting A graders.
As good as say Constable looks....we have his level covered.

Taranto is an established young gun on his way to elite.

Caldwell we think has the potential to be there also.

Brad Crouch already an A grade talent.

DeGoey A grade with the possibility of Top 10 in the league talent...but also a chance he goes to prison!

Zach Merrett- but then you deal with Mephistopholes

Midfield : Steele, Gresham, Jones, Hannaberry, Clark with Sinclair Bytel Byrnes and Ross in the rotations and Billings and Hill on the wings...we aren't too bad.....so for me, it is elite or don't bother, hold the draft pick in a good draft.

Nee!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 4:27pm Midfield : Steele, Gresham, Jones, Hannebery, Clark with Sinclair Bytel Byrnes and Ross in the rotations and Billings and Hill on the wings...we aren't too bad.....so for me, it is elite or don't bother, hold the draft pick in a good draft.
I agree. Plus don't forget Ryder and Marshall who also count as midfielders.

With Gresham to come back and Clark to step up, we've two A-graders or better to fit in. I think the midfield is OK to pretty good, unless there is an elite talent on offer. Obviously you can always use one of those.

I think we could definitely use another class ruckman _ ideally one who can ruck in tandem with Paddy _ but barring that, one who can hold down first ruck if Paddy is not available.

Not being able to use Marshall at CHF cost us dearly in terms of structure against the Tigers

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 4:20pm Maybe Hunter is that player but the only way to find out is to give him more midfield minutes ..... much more
Yep. I'd be surprised if that does NOT happen. In fact I'd be astonished.*

*but I have been astonished before

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

We need mids who will win more clearances.
Don’t care if they are grunts or speedy, they just need to extract the pill from the ruck contest more often than the oppo.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
To the top
SS Life Member

Interesting contributions

“We will be adding polish to our midfield”

Narrows it down for you

Enjoy!!!!

Vazelos
Club Player

darylcowie wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 2:58pm All the scribes seem to think we need more class and grunt in the midfield
I agree with the class part, but don't Steele, Jones, Ross and Dunstan give us grunt in spades?
Apart from Clark and potentially Coffield we lack potential midfield class, not grunt.
So why are we linked with in and under types like Taranti, Blakeky and the younger version, Caldwell?
Steele is our A lister but we need more of that level of big bodied mid fielder.
Jones has been excellent and Ross is a B grader tagging in many matches.
Dunstan is finished he is not the answer.
Clark and Bytel will factory kore next year on the middle but we are short 1/2 quality inside mids we have the run now it’s the quality grunt we need.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 9:36pm Interesting contributions

Narrows it down for you

Enjoy!!!!
Didnt know they played Aussie Rules in Warsaw

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Vazelos wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 9:41pm
darylcowie wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 2:58pm All the scribes seem to think we need more class and grunt in the midfield
Steele is our A lister but we need more of that level of big bodied mid fielder.
Jones has been excellent and Ross is a B grader tagging in many matches.
Dunstan is finished he is not the answer.
Clark and Bytel will factory kore next year on the middle but we are short 1/2 quality inside mids we have the run now it’s the quality grunt we need.
Can't understand why people think Dunstan is not the answer. He was an early draft pick and was thrown in the middle as a youngster in a bad team and he was good. He played the first game this season and played OK, but was dropped, then he got injured and only got healthy at finals time. The club selected Hannabury in preference to Dunstan. I believe Dunstan is well ahead of Bytel, possibly the equivalent of Ross & Zac Jones but behind Jack Steel and Hunter Clark. Dunstan deserves the chance to play in a good St Kilda team, he has the ability to become our 'Joel Selwood'. I'm sure there are many clubs that would be delighted to have him. This time last year I was dissapointed to lose Blake Acres, and I'd hate to let Dunstan go.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 10:14pm Can't understand why people think Dunstan is not the answer. He was an early draft pick and was thrown in the middle as a youngster in a bad team and he was good. He played the first game this season and played OK, but was dropped, then he got injured and only got healthy at finals time. The club selected Hannabury in preference to Dunstan. I believe Dunstan is well ahead of Bytel, possibly the equivalent of Ross & Zac Jones but behind Jack Steel and Hunter Clark. Dunstan deserves the chance to play in a good St Kilda team, he has the ability to become our 'Joel Selwood'. I'm sure there are many clubs that would be delighted to have him. This time last year I was dissapointed to lose Blake Acres, and I'd hate to let Dunstan go.
I'm with you on this. To a degree Dunstan is tainted by association with some poor Richo teams. He's definitely ahead of Bytel at this stage and, yes, probably on par with Ross/Jones.

Ratts loves pace, which isn't really Dunstan's strength (nor is it Ross's or Hannebery's really). I hope not, but I fear he will shine at another club, possibly Carlton

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

RE Dunstan
Questionable disposal and decision making
Not overly quick
Doesn’t win a lot of ball

For mine he’s the same type of player as a Hannerbery, Ross and Jones
Easily 4th behind them all

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Clavarino to develop, along with the Bees: Bytel and Byrnes. A class replacement for Jack Lonie - who has to move on if we are to move up (Taranto?). A biggish forward with a good kick to take pressure off Max a bit. A mid who can do, reliably, what Hannerbery was recruited to do (:Clark/Caldwell?). Phillips to have a breakout season. Kent be allowed to play a half forward role consistently rather than be thrown around all over. An inspired pick in the draft. A bit of luck, don't we deserve that after losing three key payers for the Richmond game and getting umps that seem oblivious to a number of important the rules that should apply when we play.

spert
Saintsational Legend

What I reckon we need ideally:

One strong taller half forward
One Key forward
One mobile, big bodied back
One midfielder who can get the ball, keep his feet in traffic AND has clean hands- of all our mid types, Bytel seems to have that and will get better at it, but need another.
One mobile ruck, good below the knees.

Simples!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 10:44pm RE Dunstan
Questionable disposal and decision making
Not overly quick
Doesn’t win a lot of ball

For mine he’s the same type of player as a Hannerbery, Ross and Jones
Easily 4th behind them all
100% agree.

Dunstan's disposal and pace seems to improve the longer he doesn't play. He's a slightly better tackler than Ross, his commitment and courage can never be questioned but he's as one sided as Ross, slower than Ross, less durable than Ross.

Ross needs to be one of our 4th to 6th midfielders, not Dunstan. I hope a club really wants him and he has a good finish to his AFL career...Win / Win.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 9:45pm

Narrows it down for you

Enjoy!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SaintDippa
Club Player

My opinion. More important than players is a change in mindset and game style. Slow ball movement leads to long bombs and as we've seen in the Richo years and this year dosen't work. Too many players stop, go back, look up, nothing on then long down the line because they fear turning it over if they play on and have to hit a target. Kills us. After half time v Rmond the run and movement meant open 50 and open targets. Yes it was 25-25 post but the game was over at the half 55-24. Sure another classy mid would help but imo we have the cattle. Just need to tweak the movement patterns, the up ground set up and drop the players who can't kick - we know who they are.

To the top
SS Life Member

Perhaps some should look at a dictionary (given they know what a dictionary is!)

And I quoted.

This Forum really is rubbish.

Sanctorum
Club Player

What this team really needs, is crying out for, is someone who can impose himself on the game and literally tear the game apart!

Strong bodied, play small or tall, explosive pace, strong hands, superb kick, fearless and a big tank - a Patrick Dangerfield type of player...

There aren't many "Dangers" out there but maybe they should look at assigning that role to Jack Bytel and put the work in to him to get him there in the off-season - "Project Bytel". We haven't seen enough of him yet but he has a similar build to Dangerman and with the right coaching the rewards that would be derived for both player and team will be enormous.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 16 Oct 2020 10:33am
Devilhead wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 9:45pm

Narrows it down for you

Enjoy!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
may as well give them a chance none of our irish guys have done any good

Seeya
resaintlee
Club Player

What about Phillips brother?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Add two A grade midfielders (with a fit Ryder) and we a playing in this years GF.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If the club has indicated that a key forward is on the shopping list, then can we assume that Battle will play CHB in 2021 and beyond? Where does this leave Clavarino? It looks like he'll escape the chop, so how long does he sit in the seconds biding his time?

The current midfield is:

Ross
Steele
Jones
Gresham
Hannebery
Clark ( perhaps in 2021?)
Billings
Dunstan
Sinclair
Bytel
Byrnes

The top 7 of those are all good players.if we added two more of high quality we could find ourselves with a formidable midfield.

The return of Gresham, a full season from Hannebery, and the continued improvement of Clarke in itself will make us a better team. Throw in one genuine midfielder of quality and look out. No team could treat our midfield as something to exploit.

We're getting close to having a complete team, which is something we haven't seen since 2009.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Fri 16 Oct 2020 3:56pm Perhaps some should look at a dictionary (given they know what a dictionary is!)

And I quoted.

This Forum really is rubbish.
Where's this come from?

Ironic that you've posted on said Forum.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 16 Oct 2020 7:42pm If the club has indicated that a key forward is on the shopping list, then can we assume that Battle will play CHB in 2021 and beyond? Where does this leave Clavarino? It looks like he'll escape the chop, so how long does he sit in the seconds biding his time?

The current midfield is:

Ross
Steele
Jones
Gresham
Hannebery
Clark ( perhaps in 2021?)
Billings
Dunstan
Sinclair
Bytel
Byrnes

The top 7 of those are all good players.if we added two more of high quality we could find ourselves with a formidable midfield.

The return of Gresham, a full season from Hannebery, and the continued improvement of Clarke in itself will make us a better team. Throw in one genuine midfielder of quality and look out. No team could treat our midfield as something to exploit.

We're getting close to having a complete team, which is something we haven't seen since 2009.
Why would Battle play CHB? More valuable moving up and down the ground, trouble shooting. He's not a CHB or a CHF.